HP ProBook 5330m - i5 - HD3000 - Dual boot with Mavericks and Win8 EFI

wheeliemonster

76 posts in this topic

Hi all,

I've done as much reading as I can (and searching, etc.) but can't seem to find anyone in my situation.

I have my HDD using GPT with Windows 8 installed in EFI boot mode. So my disk layout currently looks like this:

Partition 1: 100Mb EFI System Partition

Partition 2: 60GB NTFS (Win8)

Partition 3: 250GB NTFS (Win Data)

Partition 4: 80GB unformatted (hopefully to be OSX)

I've checked using EasyBCD (2.2) and my Win8 definitely uses EFI boot (Bootloader path \windows\system32\winload.efi)

I've also managed to get iATKOS ML2 installer on to a USB and installed Chameleon to that.

The USB iATKOS boots (with a few flags) and so I'm now at the point of using Disk Utility to create an HFS+J partition for OSX.

First question at this point - any problem with selecting Partition4 and formatting as HFS+J? My gut tells me this will simply format the partition and leave the Windows install unaffected...

After doing that (and therefore giving OSX somewhere to live!) I then intend on installing OSX to that Partition.

Second question - will the OSX install do anything to the boot sector / bootloader? Because if it does, I have a feeling that will hose the Windows boot process. Right?

And so, this is where it gets a bit fuzzy - it's the bootloader pieces...

What do I do at this point to install Chameleon without ruining the Windows EFI boot process? Can it be done?

I presume I DO want to use Chameleon for this, or can I use EasyBCD to add an entry for booting OSX?

Unfortunately, I need the Windows install for work and I really don't want to lose access to it right now.

Thanks in advance for any and all help given - and apologies if the answers are staring me in the face and I just can't see them! :)

Both Windows UEFI and OS X Install do nothing to boot record. The one messed up with Bootrecord is Chameleon or Clover EFI. UEFI System uses the files in EFI Parition and just run it, nothing special.

1/ If you format your last partition with HFS+, your NTFS partitions won't be affected. However, you may NOT boot to Windows UEFI anymore, because Disk Utility tends to convert hard drive to GPT/Hybrid MBR if there are Windows partitions. To fix this, boot by a Linux USB drive, use gdisk to convert it to GPT/Protective MBR.

2/ Chameleon and Clover EFI can't boot Windows UEFI, only Clover UEFI can.

Both Windows UEFI and OS X Install do nothing to boot record. The one messed up with Bootrecord is Chameleon or Clover EFI. UEFI System uses the files in EFI Parition and just run it, nothing special.

1/ If you format your last partition with HFS+, your NTFS partitions won't be affected. However, you may NOT boot to Windows UEFI anymore, because Disk Utility tends to convert hard drive to GPT/Hybrid MBR if there are Windows partitions. To fix this, boot by a Linux USB drive, use gdisk to convert it to GPT/Protective MBR.

2/ Chameleon and Clover EFI can't boot Windows UEFI, only Clover UEFI can.

Hi,

Thanks for getting back to me so quickly and with such good answers.

1 - Should I boot to Linux and convert to GPT/Protective first? Before Formatting to HFS+? Will this then prevent Disk Utility from converting to GPT/MBR hybrid? Also, can this be done without data loss?

2 - I'll look into Clover UEFI for dual-booting! Thanks!

I notice you have an HP Elitebook with Dual UEFI boot - do you use Clover UEFI?

Appreciate your help...

Hi 

I partition HD to 3 partitions GUID > do not use mbr . 

1 part is win 8 ( first install )

2 Maverick

3 data

I used Chameleon bootloader

I use Maverick most of the time. If I want to boot Win 8, I hit F8 at boot screen and select Win8.

I Used Chamelist  to select boot plist.

If you have Guid , Duo core 2 or later then install Maverick or ML with Chameleon 2262 or latest. 

I like Maverick very much !!

Hi,

Thanks for getting back to me so quickly and with such good answers.

1 - Should I boot to Linux and convert to GPT/Protective first? Before Formatting to HFS+? Will this then prevent Disk Utility from converting to GPT/MBR hybrid? Also, can this be done without data loss?

2 - I'll look into Clover UEFI for dual-booting! Thanks!

I notice you have an HP Elitebook with Dual UEFI boot - do you use Clover UEFI?

Appreciate your help...

Your harddrive is already GPT/Protective MBR (that's why you can boot to Windows UEFI now). I noticed that DU will always create MBR Hybrid if there are any NTFS partition (it messed me up after installing Mavericks). If you don't want to create Hybrid MBR, use gparted USB to format it to HFS+ (but it's better to create HFS+ partition by Apple's DU).

Chameleon or Clover EFI can only be instaled on GPT/Hybrid MBR, Windows UEFI can't boot, Windows MBR boots fine. 

Clover UEFI on GPT/Hybrid MBR. Windows UEFI can't boot. Windows MBR boots by: Clover UEFI > Chameleon > Windows MBR.

Clover UEFI on GPT/Protective MBR: Windows UEFI boots fine.

Windows MBR always see the disks as MBR (limit to 4 partitions).

I used Clover UEFI to boot OS X and Windows UEFI. It's extremely easy to use with GPT, Windows UEFI can recognize all the partitions. I tried resizing NTFS/HFS+ partitions with gparted USB and it works fine.

Thank you both for replying, your information has been most helpful.

I've managed to create a HFS+ partition using gparted from a live Linux distro and will attempt the install to that partition later on.

Then I've got the joy of finding kexts, dsdt and so on to get everything working!

My machine is a ProBook 5330m with an i5 and HD3000, so from what I've read, it should be pretty compatible for OSX.

I do fancy trying Mavericks too - might give that a go once I've got to grips with the general install procedures...

Thanks again guys. :)

Thank you both for replying, your information has been most helpful.

I've managed to create a HFS+ partition using gparted from a live Linux distro and will attempt the install to that partition later on.

Then I've got the joy of finding kexts, dsdt and so on to get everything working!

My machine is a ProBook 5330m with an i5 and HD3000, so from what I've read, it should be pretty compatible for OSX.

I do fancy trying Mavericks too - might give that a go once I've got to grips with the general install procedures...

Thanks again guys. :)

You should try Probook Installer here: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/289805-success-hp-probook-4x30s-4x40s/

It uses Chameleon with GPT/Hybrid MBR instead, so you have to manually configure Clover and copy patched dsdt/ssdt to Clover folder. Or you can create a Hybrid MBR using Disk Utility/gdisk, install Probook Installer and makes sure OS X works with Chameleon, then use gdisk to convert to GPT/Protective MBR and use Clover UEFI to boot Windows UEFI. Gdisk is easy to use and won't damage your Windows partitions.

Btw, HP Laptop always boot from EFI\Microsoft\Boot\bootmgrfw.efi, so you have to change filename to  bootmgrfw-orig.efi, copy cloverx64.efi to that folder than rename it to  EFI\Microsoft\Boot\bootmgrfw.efi.

Hi Guys,

Back again.

Here's where I'm at. Managed to install iATKOS to an HFS+J partition on my HDD (as per the table above) but haven't installed a bootloader to my HDD yet as wanted to boot via USB for now until I'd got everything sorted.

It started to get weird now.

I booted using the iATKOS USB installer after the install completed but selected to boot from the installed copy on my HDD, giving the bootloader the same switches as before (-x -v -f cpus=1 UKC=No) but it went back in to the iATKOS installer, instead of a "first boot" of OSX. That confused me for starters.

So I tried creating a Chameleon bootable USB myself and booted that, then chose my install on my HDD but it kept hanging on "still waiting for root device"

So, now I'm back trying to boot into the iATKOS USB installer and it just hangs before getting to "still waiting for root device" (at ApplePS2Controller: Timed out on mouse input stream)?

So now I can't boot into any form of OSX, neither the one on my HDD, or the iATKOS installer?

V. confused. Help!

Thanks all...

Hi, I have a question regarding booting multiple OSs. I don't know if this forum is the correct one, so bear with me.

I have a 2006 MacPro, I wanted to install Mavericks and so I had to setup a boot loader and what not.

I did everything and Mavericks works.

I have one problem: if I reinstall my HD with windows in it, chameleon stops working.

When I pull the HD with windows back out, I have to re-bless the startup disk (with chameleon), to have it work again.

I have read that I can reinstall windows and use the installation disk to set up the partitions in a certain way for it to work, but I would like to keep my Windows partition intact.

Is there any way to do that?

Any input would be greatly appreciated. I don't use Windows much, but I do use it, and so I would like to have it back up and running.

Thank you for any suggestion.

Firstly, to update my situation... Managed to get everything going by using a vanilla Mac OS rather than iAtkos. Did all my setup booting via Chameleon on USB. Then created a Clover USB and booted from that to get my Clover set up sorted.

Then installed Clover to my EFI partition and copied across my config.plist and DSDT and SSDT to my EFI partition using Clover Configurator to mount the EFI partition from Mac OS.

Installing Clover to my EFI didn't touch the Windows EFI boot files, so I can now interrupt the boot process and select an EFI file to boot from.

So if I want to boot Windows I just let the boot process run as normal. If I want to boot Mac OS, I interrupt boot, select an EFI file to boot from, choose the CLOVERX64.efi file and then choose to boot Mac OS. Done!

Now, I just need to get sleep working properly! It's the last thing I can't get to function right. I've used the ProBook installer to install the sleep fix but no dice. When I choose to sleep the machine, it goes down but then boots right back up but with no screen output, or just shuts down. Any ideas?

You don't need to interrupt boot process to choose Clover. Go to /EFI/Microsoft/Boot/ find bootmgfw.efi than rename it to any, but don't delete it. You will boot to Clover by default, and have options to boot OS X or Windows.

Are you using 6-series or 7-series laptop? How do you patch your dsdt?

I'm using ProBook 5330m. I think I patched DSDT using MACiASL...

PS - one bonus of leaving the boot process as I described above is that having now installed VMware Fusion 6, it sees my Windows install as a Boot Camp installation and I can run it as a VM under OSX. So I can give 4GB RAM to Mac and 4GB to Windows and run OSX and Win8 side-by-side at the same time on the same machine. Nice, huh!

I'm using ProBook 5330m. I think I patched DSDT using MACiASL...

PS - one bonus of leaving the boot process as I described above is that having now installed VMware Fusion 6, it sees my Windows install as a Boot Camp installation and I can run it as a VM under OSX. So I can give 4GB RAM to Mac and 4GB to Windows and run OSX and Win8 side-by-side at the same time on the same machine. Nice, huh!

Please try renaming bootmgfw.efi, if it does not work with Clover, just rename back.

I see that you're using a 6-series laptop, so sleep won't work with Clover UEFI because of poor implementation in BIOS. Switching to Legacy bootloader like Chameleon can enable sleep, but it can't boot Windows UEFI.

Please try renaming bootmgfw.efi, if it does not work with Clover, just rename back.

I see that you're using a 6-series laptop, so sleep won't work with Clover UEFI because of poor implementation in BIOS. Switching to Legacy bootloader like Chameleon can enable sleep, but it can't boot Windows UEFI.

Thanks for all your help. I even have problems sleeping when using a Chameleon USB to boot. Is there anything else I should be looking at to try to get sleep working?

When using the Chameleon USB, it looks like it's gone to sleep for 1-2 seconds, then wakes straight back up again.

It's so frustrating, as this is the last piece of the puzzle!! :)

Like I say, I really appreciate your help. You've been very kind.

Thanks for all your help. I even have problems sleeping when using a Chameleon USB to boot. Is there anything else I should be looking at to try to get sleep working?

When using the Chameleon USB, it looks like it's gone to sleep for 1-2 seconds, then wakes straight back up again.

It's so frustrating, as this is the last piece of the puzzle!! :)

Like I say, I really appreciate your help. You've been very kind.

If you wakes right after sleep, please try đisabling Wake on Ethernet in System Preferences and BIOS, remove all your USB devices for checking.

The "wake after sleep" problem is easier to deal with then your "goes down but then boots right back up but with no screen output, or just shuts down".

If you wakes right after sleep, please try đisabling Wake on Ethernet in System Preferences and BIOS, remove all your USB devices for checking.

The "wake after sleep" problem is easier to deal with then your "goes down but then boots right back up but with no screen output, or just shuts down".

Thanks again - managed to get sleep working using Chameleon USB to boot - it was BIOS WoL that did the trick!

Bluetooth doesn't work after waking from sleep - but apparently that's normal and it doesn't really bother me.

Is there any way to install Chameleon as the bootloader on the EFI/HDD WITHOUT disturbing the Windows EFI boot?

I'm quite happy to have to choose to boot OSX (by pressing F9 at boot, etc.) but I really want to leave the Windows EFI boot process alone...

Cheers

Thanks again - managed to get sleep working using Chameleon USB to boot - it was BIOS WoL that did the trick!

Bluetooth doesn't work after waking from sleep - but apparently that's normal and it doesn't really bother me.

Is there any way to install Chameleon as the bootloader on the EFI/HDD WITHOUT disturbing the Windows EFI boot?

I'm quite happy to have to choose to boot OSX (by pressing F9 at boot, etc.) but I really want to leave the Windows EFI boot process alone...

Cheers

Please try renaming bootmgfw.efi again, It won't corrupt your Windows EFI boot process. Give it a try and report back!

Btw, do you still have problems with Clover sleep? I'm afraid that you can't install Chameleon/Chimera to a GPT/Protective MBR. I tried it once but it can't boot with Legacy mode. If you switch to GPT/Hybrid MBR, you can install legacy bootloaders, but your Windows UEFI will be unbootable.

Sleep now seems to work effectively but when I try to wake it up, it simply reboots. It looks like it's waking up but just drops back to the BIOS and starts up.

I'll check the bootmgfw.efi later...

Please post your config.plist. restart on wake is an issue with 6-series laptops on Clover UEFI and there is no way to fix this up to now.

Actually - I've just noticed that when I rename bootmgfw.efi to bootmgfw-orig.efi, then reboot, Clover starts and boots OSX but it doesn't seem to allow me to interact and the menu seems broken (overwritten text, etc.)

So I can't actually boot Windows once I've renamed bootmgfw.efi because Clover won't let me interact.

Build date of Clover is 2013-10-11 20:25:35 - will download a later one if there is one...

Actually - I've just noticed that when I rename bootmgfw.efi to bootmgfw-orig.efi, then reboot, Clover starts and boots OSX but it doesn't seem to allow me to interact and the menu seems broken (overwritten text, etc.)

So I can't actually boot Windows once I've renamed bootmgfw.efi because Clover won't let me interact.

Build date of Clover is 2013-10-11 20:25:35 - will download a later one if there is one...

It's because of your config.plist, I will fix that. Btw, are you using Mountain Lion or Mavericks? and what folder do you see in EFI/Clover/themes/? What's the name of your Mac partition?