[Guide] Mavericks 10.9.X - Dell Optiplex 780 (760)

pepto

307 posts in this topic

Hi, I have just installed mavericks on to a 760 usff (core 2 duo 3gh, 160gb, HD 4gb ram) that I have purchased to donate to a friends charity.

Everything seemed to go well with the instal, the ethernet and sound were working and it booted up nice and quick, however this morning when I switched it on it started to boot but then just hangs at the grey apple screen with the wheel permanently turning.

I have forced it to turn off and then tried several more re-starts, out of the 10 or so tries it has only booted fully once :( this leads me to think that it could possibly be the hard drive that is failing? but I am open to suggestions, in the morning I will try removing one of the 2gb sticks of ram and see if this helps, followed by taking out the other and switching them if not.

Hopefully someone will have an idea of what could be wrong and help me get the machine up and running quickly.

The other question that I have is that the machine shows just 3mb of ram for graphics, as I understand it ram can be allocated to the onboard graphics card, however I cannot find a way of doing this in the bios settings, if someone knows of a way to do this I would be really grateful.

Kind regards and thanks in advance for any help and assistance that you may be able to offer.

Shanos

Thanks for coming back to me Herve, I have booted the machine up I am using chameleon v2.2svn r2378, if I select boot ignore caches it will load the os but the screen flickers (pretty much every time you touch keyboard or mouse), when I did the initial install it booted fine a few times and had no issues with the screen flickering.

if I select -v it does bring up a screen showing where it stops etc is there a way to save this file so that I can paste it here? 

for now I will type as much as I can from the last line thats come up (hopefully this is where it stopped working|)

kernel extensions in backtrace:

com.apple.driver.AppleRTC(2.0)[EE7FCFFD-F396-32F9-32F9-8424-859D3F20501D]@0xFFFFFF7F817B8000->0xffffff7f817c1fff

dependency: com.apple.iokit.IOACPIFamily(1.4)[045D5D6F-AD1E-36DB-A249-A346E2B48E54]@0Xffffff7f81138000

Kindest regards shanos

hi all,

I have set up a this hackintosh on a Optiplex 780 desktop with 4GB RAM, ATI HD 5450 and apple magic keyboard and mouse in bluetooth.

I am in Maverick 10.9.4

All works except sleep mode. When my hackintosh go sleeping since a long time i try to wake up hiting the space bare but don't wake up. The bluetooth dongle is not powered.

So i push the power button and the desktop hang with number 2 & 3 in GREEN in front of Desktop.

I don't know if my dongle is compatible (TRENDnet TBW-107UB) or if a special setting is necessary in bios or in the OS.

Thanks to all for your help.

hi all,

I have set up a this hackintosh on a Optiplex 780 desktop with 4GB RAM, ATI HD 5450 and apple magic keyboard and mouse in bluetooth.

I am in Maverick 10.9.4

All works except sleep mode. When my hackintosh go sleeping since a long time i try to wake up hiting the space bare but don't wake up. The bluetooth dongle is not powered.

So i push the power button and the desktop hang with number 2 & 3 in GREEN in front of Desktop.

I don't know if my dongle is compatible (TRENDnet TBW-107UB) or if a special setting is necessary in bios or in the OS.

Thanks to all for your help.

See post #140.

And check out this guide. :)

http://rampagedev.wordpress.com/kext-editing/enable-wake-on-bluetooth/

thanks Morpheousman.

I have read all topics and and i have installed the dsdt.aml and extra file from Lukin for his files.

Sound level now works with keyboard. 

And sleep mode works also and just push the power button to wake up.

Now my only issue is about the power off. The Optiplex don't stop (power off). The power off don't work correctly. Before to load new extra files, that's work 

Any ideas ?

thanks Morpheousman.

I have read all topics and and i have installed the dsdt.aml and extra file from Lukin for his files.

Sound level now works with keyboard. 

And sleep mode works also and just push the power button to wake up.

Now my only issue is about the power off. The Optiplex don't stop (power off). The power off don't work correctly. Before to load new extra files, that's work 

Any ideas ?

any UP for the shutdown problem with the dsdt.aml ?

all works except the shutdown process. The optiplex stay alive. The screen is black but the unit is powered without completly off.

If any kext or dsdt modified required help will appreciate....thanks a lot in advance

Guys,

has anyone upgraded to 10.9.5 ? After upgrading video card no longer worked so re-installed the kext files (that worked perfectly in 10.9.4) and now the system always panics on AMDRadeonX3000. Has anyone else seen this, any work around ?

Thank you

As with any Mavericks update, I had to patch the display drivers (AMD5000Controller.kext and AMDRadeonX3000.kext) as per instructions in the first post. But like every other time, it did work perfectly now (10.9.5). I'd advise against using the drivers from your backup of 10.9.4. Repatch those two files, copy them back in /S/L/E and rebuild the kernel caches (if you come from a myHack installation, run myHack), reboot and... hope for the better :)

I tried this guide on my Optiplex 745, annnnnd... Fail... Where I go wrong is booting into the USB. I get this output on my screen:

boot0: GPT
boot0: test
boot0: test
boot0: done
boot1: error

Could this be due to no ACHI? I looked under SATA Operation in the BIOS but got the two options "Normal" and "Legacy". I tried both but they both outputted the error. If it is, how can I enable ACHI on this computer? The chipset should be able to use ACHI.

• 2 weeks later...

I have installed 10.9.5 successfully on dell optiplex 780, however display is not optimal on built-in VGA output.

Now I want to buy a graphic card for this machine.

Which one do you guys recommend?

Thanks

Did you read the guide? :frantics:

What Video card does the guide recommend?

Oke guys here some news about Yosemite.

I have Yosemite running on my Dell Laptop E6320 and i will start as soon as i can to the 760/780 and after that the 790/990.

I will make use of clover or maybe chameleon depends when MyHack V4 will be released, so be patience.

• Like 2

Quick update!   I have it working on my Optiplex 760 restored from the depths of H____ I saw you guys were having fun, so I decided to give it a try.  I'm not a great writer so sorry no guide.  But, basically I followed pepto routines and subbed Yosemite for Mavericks.  Guys I like Clover.  I wish I could figure out Legacy Windows 7 boot now, for some triple boot action!

snakeman,

Rock time again! Time to hibernate its getting cold!

• Like 1

Oke guys here some news about Yosemite.

I have Yosemite running on my Dell Laptop E6320 and i will start as soon as i can to the 760/780 and after that the 790/990.

I will make use of clover or maybe chameleon depends when MyHack V4 will be released, so be patience.

That's good news. When you get it started and post a link to the new page I'm sure we can all try to help out with any leftover issues if needed. :)

I managed to find enough space to mount a second hard drive in my Optiplex 780. I have a 2.5" Laptop Hard drive mounted behind  the DVD. It is mounted to the front ledge of the power supply with double-sided tape. So now i have 2 physical drives. When we start on Yosemite, I can put it on the second physical drive, and still boot to Mavericks on the first drive until Yosemite is 100% functional. :)

Oke guys i have installed today a 790 with the files of the 780 with clover and it works right now tomorrow i gonna install it on a real 780 but it is the same as the 790. i will keep you inform