[Guide] Mavericks 10.9.X - Dell Optiplex 780 (760)

pepto

307 posts in this topic

I have an Optiplex 760 and tried to install Mavericks following this guide. I used Mavericks downloaden through the AppStore en followed every step mentioned at the start post. But when I boot my USB stick, it will stop every time at this line:

BootCacheControl: Unable to open /var/db/BootCache.playlist: 2 No such file or directory

212sf1g_th.jpg (click for larger image)

Is this videocard related? I am using my onboard vid card (my system does have some kind of PCI extension for DVI, I don't think it's a GPU, but just some sort adapter for DVI). The system is atm connected to a old 15" vga tft monitor through vga-vga cable.

I found some different suggestions on the internet according to this problem:

Power: switch from S3 to S1. I did, but nothing changed

Disable VT-d: my Bios doesnt has this option

Bios: choose onboard vga/card option instead of automatic. This also made no difference

Bios has ACHI enabled

boot flags I tried, but all gave the same line:

-v
-v -f
-v -x
-v -f -x
-v -f GrahpicsEnabler=yes
-v -x GraphicsEnabler=yes
-v -f GrahpicsEnabler=yes npci=0x2000
-v -x GrahpicsEnabler=yes npci=0x2000

It is video related try graphicsenabler=no, 

Thanks for the great walkthrough! I have an HD5450 that was working fully under 10.9.1. However, if I make any changes to AMD5000Controller.kext and reinstall using the Kext Utility on 10.9.2 my resolution drops to 800 x 600 and the responsiveness is very slow.  I can reinstall the 10.9.2 update and get the full resolution back, and some performance gains, but I am not getting full QE/CI.  

Here are the log files that appear after editing and reinstalling the kexts according the directions provided. 

Mar 14 18:57:59 jmacpro.local com.apple.kextd[19] <Error>: Can't load /System/Library/Extensions/ATI5000Controller.kext - failed to resolve dependencies.

Mar 14 18:57:59 jmacpro.local com.apple.kextd[19] <Error>: Load com.apple.kext.AMD5000Controller failed; removing personalities from kernel.
Mar 14 18:58:09 jmacpro.local com.apple.kextd[19] <Error>: WARNING - Invalid signature -67030 0xFFFFFFFFFFFEFA2A for kext "/System/Library/Extensions/AMDRadeonX3000.kext"

Did you use the right values for the kext files ?? maybe stupid question and have you installed in the past other kext files related to video ?

Sorry I forgot to mention that, I did try GraphicsEnabler=No too

Maybe you can try my extra.zip on page 1 post 10 put it on your USB stick and reboot. And which files are you using for booting USB Stick

Maybe you can try my extra.zip on page 1 post 10 put it on your USB stick and reboot. And which files are you using for booting USB Stick

I used the original mavericks file from the app store (in that mavericks file: Show Package Contents -> Contents -> SharedSupport -> InstallESD.dmg)

Your Install109.zip

And for Chameleon: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/files/file/59-chameleon-22-svn/  ( Chameleon-2.2svn-r2377.pkg.zip)

And instead of using your ShowHiddenFiles utility, I used these lines:

defaults write com.apple.finder AppleShowAllFiles YES

killall Finder

Need a little help here before I wind up screwing something up.

I cannot get my 760 set to "Allow Bluetooth Devices to Wake This Computer". The option is greyed out in the Bluetooth advanced options menu?

I can wake the computer with a wired keyboard or mouse, but not Bluetooth.

Also, I just did a small, inexpensive upgrade to my hackintosh that some of you might be interested in doing.

I found out that an inexpensive, generic, 3.5" Media Card Reader will fit just fine in place of the floppy disk drive. I just had to cutout a small piece of the plastic case on the bottom of the back of the card  reader where it would otherwise bump into the Ram Memory. Also, the 9-pin connector on the cord plugs in perfect in the back of the motherboard. I

t's a nice little upgrade you can do in about ten minutes, and it only costs about $5. :)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/200633163066?ru=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fsch%2Fi.html%3F_sacat%3D0%26_from%3DR40%26_nkw%3D200633163066%26_rdc%3D1

I used the original mavericks file from the app store (in that mavericks file: Show Package Contents -> Contents -> SharedSupport -> InstallESD.dmg)

Your Install109.zip

And for Chameleon: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/files/file/59-chameleon-22-svn/  ( Chameleon-2.2svn-r2377.pkg.zip)

killall Finder

Try the chameleon in my install109 zip file

Your Install109.zip

killall Finder

Hello Mark i have made a new Bootable USB Stick with myHack 3.3.1 which boot without problems for the Dell 780.

You must create the stick with myHack. If you wanna know howto make a bootable stick with myHack follow my tutorial for the Latitude E6320 but keep in mind that you use the extra for the optiplex 780.

You can find the link here http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/296488-guide-mavericks-109x-dell-latitude-e6320-i5/

I will also change the tutorial for the 780 for use with myHack but it will take a while.

• Like 1

Hello Mark i have made a new Bootable USB Stick with myHack 3.3.1 which boot without problems for the Dell 780.

You must create the stick with myHack. If you wanna know howto make a bootable stick with myHack follow my tutorial for the Latitude E6320 but keep in mind that you use the extra for the optiplex 780.

You can find the link here http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/296488-guide-mavericks-109x-dell-latitude-e6320-i5/

I will also change the tutorial for the 780 for use with myHack but it will take a while.

pepto, can you wake your computer with your bluetooth keyboard or mouse?

Hi Simon, thnx I will try that. But there is no DSDT and SSDT in the extra.zip file. Won't I need that? (I have the Optiplex 760)

And can I directly use 10.9.2 from the appstore instead of 10.9.0 or 10.9.1 (I'm making it for 10.9.2 right now, but I only can test it on saturday)

Hi Simon, thnx I will try that. But there is no DSDT and SSDT in the extra.zip file. Won't I need that? (I have the Optiplex 760)

And can I directly use 10.9.2 from the appstore instead of 10.9.0 or 10.9.1 (I'm making it for 10.9.2 right now, but I only can test it on saturday)

To boot from USB and install you dont need à dsdt and ssdt

To boot from USB and install you dont need à dsdt and ssdt

I made a Mavericks installation usb following your other guide (but using the files from this topic) and got the same problems which I have on my laptop (with the right files) when I try to install Mavericks through MyHack

I get to the install screen and I can choose the language and continue. But when I continue, the installations stops, shows me the error log file and gives me the option to shut down, restart or view log.

This is the log file the system made when I tried to install 10.9.2:

Booted with -v -f and dutch language:

http://goo.gl/QBM6vS

I tried everything in both languages (NL and EN) but I guess all the errors are the same. I tried these flags (so both with NL and EN)

-v
-v -f
-v -x
-v -f -x
And Mavericks 10.9, 10.9.1 and 10.9.2

What goes wrong? How can I fix this?

I will check it tonight for you.

Wake from BT  device fixed! :)

After many hours of searching, I finally got it fixed. It requires editing of the ioBluetoothFamily.Kext, and a supported device. My Cambridge Silicone Bluetooth would not work, it appears that some of the $5 dongles from China do not always have a compatible firmware. I bought a Rocketfish BT Dongle on eBay, (which has a Broadcom Chip), and I made the necessary edits in the kext.  "Allow Bluetooth devices to wake this computer" is no longer grayed out in the BT advanced settings, and wake from BT now works! :)

Attached is my edited kext, which will work with a Broadcom Based BT Dongle, with Vender ID 0461, and Product ID 4D75.

I got the info here:

IOBluetoothFamily.kext.zip

I managed to install 10.8.5 with MyHack and the kext from post #10 of this thread: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/292748-guide-mavericks-109x-dell-optiplex-780-760/?do=findComment&comment=1958340

I haven't managed to install Mavericks yet. But 10.8.5 just boots without any flags and I use the onboard gpu. (Haven't tested QE/CI yet)

But I don't know how to make the OS bootable. I have installed ML on the same disk as my Windows 7 installation. I installed Chameleon boot loader to the ML partition, but when I reboot it will still boot Windows 7. I don't see the option to boot ML How should I do this? The start post says:

Navigate to your folder Install109 -Utils and run the chameleon package, install it to your OS X drive.

I also tried the newest chameleon package

Edit:

This is the error log what I get when I make the 10.9.2 MyHack install disk exactly the same way how I made the 10.8.5 install disk. (but for 10.9 instead of 10.8)

http://goo.gl/Cgf2zp

• 3 weeks later...

Black screen - maybe to do with Chrome.

Hi. My Optiplex 780 10.9.2 now and again has a black screen issue which may or may not be connected to use of the Chrome browser. Has anyone else had this issue and more importantly is there a fix? Tech stuff below.

ATI Radeon HD 5000:

Chipset Model: ATI Radeon HD 5000

Type: GPU

Bus: PCIe

PCIe Lane Width: x16

VRAM (Total): 2048 MB

Vendor: ATI (0x1002)

Device ID: 0x68f9

Revision ID: 0x0000

Displays:

HP 23xi:

Resolution: 1920 x 1080 @ 60 Hz

Pixel Depth: 32-Bit Color (ARGB8888)

Display Serial Number: 3CM30903DS  

Main Display: Yes

Mirror: Off

Online: Yes

Rotation: Supported

S/L/E

AMD5000Controller w/ 0x68f91002 edit

AMDRadeonX3000 w/ 0x68f91002 edit

• 2 weeks later...

Power Management - Auto on time

My Hack keeps turning itself on. I change the Auto on time settings in the BIOS to disabled but somehow they keep changing back to Weekdays.

Anyone else have this and what to do about it?

Cheers.

I had the same problem with my 960 coming on in the middle of the night, until I figured out the Auto On setting in the BIOS.

So...you're sure that you're saving your settings after you change them?  Not just EXIT, but APPLY?  It's easy to do.

Is the MB battery week?  Maybe those settings aren't being saved?

• 2 weeks later...

Can anyone help me with this guide?

I managed to install 10.9 successfully, but I cannot get my AMD RADEON 2400 HD PRO to work properly (stuck at 1152*864).

I tried several things with IOPCIMatch in the AMD2400 kext file and bunch of other stuff...

It just does not work... Is the 2400 still supported in Mavericks??

• 2 weeks later...

Just wanna let you know that I just upgraded to latest 10.9.3 using combo and everything is working just fine so far!.

did you do that without any kexts/patches or did you have to install them also???

did you do that without any kexts/patches or did you have to install them also???

I only downloaded the combo as soon as it became available for download, installed it, rebooted and everything was working, I didn`t have to reinstall anything, because everything, like I said, was working just fine...so no patch, no kext was installed/reinstalled, just the ones i use which are posted here.