[Guide] Mavericks 10.9.X - Dell Optiplex 780 (760)

pepto

307 posts in this topic

Hello everybody, just want to say thanks for this great tutorial, I have the same config as Pepto, Dell780/Saphire HD5450 1Gb.

After the install I couldn't get the VGA to work with just the settings provided in the tutorial, after modifying the video kexts I had to add the below to org.chameleon.Boot.plist witch got the VGA to work perfectly, full resolution and QE/CI:

<key>AtiConfig</key>

<string>Eulemur</string>

Another issue I had was the volume, it didn't work when moving the slider, which I fixed by installing the attached kext.

Also, I created the install disk with MyHack, using Mavericks 10.9 downloaded from AppStore and I also updated to 10.9.1 from AppStore with no issues.

I have 2 issues that I can't fix and I hope you can help me:

I fixed the Sleep/Wake problem with the DSDT provided in this thread but when the computer comes back from sleep my ethernet doesn't work anymore and I have to restart to get it to work. I installed the Intel82566MM.kext but didn't fix my problem, I have the ethernet built in set to yes.

Another thing that doesn't work for me is iMessage, can't login, I receive a message "Your Apple ID can't be used to set up iMessage at this time" when trying to login, I installed the FileNVRAM, reset the network profile, put my network on top of the list in network preferences, reset my Apple ID password, entered the ethernet hex to org.chameleon.Boot.plist  etc but nothing worked, still get the same message, my account is working on my macbook and iPhone so the problem is not the account itself. My iCloud and AppStore are working.

Happy New Year for everybody, cause this is the first post in 2014  :) , and hope you can help me with my issues.

Sorry I can not help with the lan issue, I am using a usb wireless for my internet connection.

Have you done the iMessage fix in step 16 of the guide?

BTW This project has turned out much better than I had expected. I now have a wireless keyboard and mouse, and I have the computer inside the cabinet that my 52" LCD sits on. The Picture is great on my 52" Sharp LCD, and the wireless mouse works great by just rolling it across the cushion of my couch. The computer is out of sight under the cabinet, and it is awesome to be able to just change the input on the TV and be able to surf the internet, and play iTunes or other apps. iMessage works great, and I have recently installed a Logitech HD USB Webcam. The camera was Plug & Play, the picture is great, and FaceTime works. :)

I wish we could get a dst edited for the video card , but cannot find anyone to help with that, so I am okay with just possibly needing to reinstall the edited kexts if a future update causes problems with the Video.

My biggest wish would be to be able to get the Sound Over USB working, but from what I have been readings so far, it seems that it is not possible with this CPU.

Loving my Optiplex 760 Hackintosh here guys. Thanks for all of the help! :)

I "upgraded" to a Sapphire HD 6450 from an HD 5450.  No modded kext required, plug and play.  But, it would still be helpful if someone did the DSDT edit for the HD 5450.

I've been using Chameleon as the boot loader and have tried using Clover but haven't had any success.  I installed Clover on a USB stick with pepto's instructions including the use of his config.plist.  When booting from the USB stick, it stops immediately with the number 6 on a blank black screen.  When I press a key, the computer just reboots.  What should I do to get Clover to work?

• 4 weeks later...

I'm glad to report that the Combo Updater for 10.9.2 works flawlessly (almost). I had to edit the plist files of the graphics drivers (AMD5000Controller.kext and AMDRadeonX3000.kext) as per instructions, which was kind of expected, but other than that I didn't face any issues so far.

Just one side effect: My Optiplex does not wake from sleep when pressing a key from the keyboard or moving the mouse anymore, i.e. does not wake from usb inputs. Personally, I don't care that much since it wakes by pressing the power button. If anything else rises, I'll keep you posted!!!

• Like 1

Hi there guys!!!

I upgraded to 10.9.2 yesterday using combo, everything is fine here!, no issues whatsoever!

@ lukin

Thanks for the report! :)

I am already at 10.9.1, so I am downloading the 10.9.2 update instead of the Combo Update,

Edit: Update went smooth, everything working! :)

Thanks lukin! It turns out that after the update, my USB Hub is recognized to be connected to the Expansion Slot of the PC for some reason. Any idea why might that be happening and how I can correct it?

Thanks!

no issues here too...

@ernani....fire up System Information and check what it says under USB Bus, must be "Built-in USB" for sleep/wake to work like so;

will the mach_kernel file provided with this tut work if i downloaded the lataest InstallEsd (10.9.2)?

Yes it will work. But you can also use the mach_kernel from the InstallESD from 10.9.2

Thanks lukin! It turns out that after the update, my USB Hub is recognized to be connected to the Expansion Slot of the PC for some reason. Any idea why might that be happening and how I can correct it?

Thanks!

My first guess would be that your DSDT must`ve gotten corrupt somehow...use this one and see if it fixes it, don`t forget to repair permission and clean cache, if you`re using myHack; run myFix and choose "full".

DSDT.aml.zip

My first guess would be that your DSDT must`ve gotten corrupt somehow...use this one and see if it fixes it, don`t forget to repair permission and clean cache, if you`re using myHack; run myFix and choose "full".

Thanks!

I used your DSDT but the problem persists. Before upgrading to 10.9.2 I cloned my installation of 10.9.1 on a second HD. I'll try to copy over the Exrtas directory from my Backup to my working drive, after installing Chameleon once more (although I don't believe this will solve anything).

I also searched a little bit into this forum and found posts dated back to 2009 and 2010, which suggest editing the DSDT file to specify the exact device IDs of the USB hub, but I'm rather hesitant in doing so, because I've never decompiled / edited a DSDT before. Perhaps it is about time...  :rofl:

Yes it will work. But you can also use the mach_kernel from the InstallESD from 10.9.2

the kernel you provided did not work(stuck at mount hfs+) however i was able to install it by extracting mach_kernel from /Packages/Basesystembinaries.pkg using pacifier.

One more thing though,

I hade to make Extensions folder in /Extra folder of my USB and also paste the three kexts(EloittforceRTC, FAkesmc, Nullcpupowermangement) in the extensions folder to prevent bios reset when booting first time. 

the kernel you provided did not work(stuck at mount hfs+) however i was able to install it by extracting mach_kernel from /Packages/Basesystembinaries.pkg using pacifier.

One more thing though,

I hade to make Extensions folder in /Extra folder of my USB and also paste the three kexts(EloittforceRTC, FAkesmc, Nullcpupowermangement) in the extensions folder to prevent bios reset when booting first time.

Sorry for that talsid, i am will make a clean install again on my Dell 780, but i will make use of myhack now to make it easier to install. So be patience. And yes you need the 3 kext files to prevent bios reset.

I have an Optiplex 760 and tried to install Mavericks following this guide. I used Mavericks downloaden through the AppStore en followed every step mentioned at the start post. But when I boot my USB stick, it will stop every time at this line:

BootCacheControl: Unable to open /var/db/BootCache.playlist: 2 No such file or directory

212sf1g_th.jpg (click for larger image)

Is this videocard related? I am using my onboard vid card (my system does have some kind of PCI extension for DVI, I don't think it's a GPU, but just some sort adapter for DVI). The system is atm connected to a old 15" vga tft monitor through vga-vga cable.

I found some different suggestions on the internet according to this problem:

Power: switch from S3 to S1. I did, but nothing changed

Disable VT-d: my Bios doesnt has this option

Bios: choose onboard vga/card option instead of automatic. This also made no difference

Bios has ACHI enabled

boot flags I tried, but all gave the same line:

-v
-v -f
-v -x
-v -f -x
-v -f GrahpicsEnabler=yes
-v -x GraphicsEnabler=yes
-v -f GrahpicsEnabler=yes npci=0x2000
-v -x GrahpicsEnabler=yes npci=0x2000

Thanks for the great walkthrough! I have an HD5450 that was working fully under 10.9.1. However, if I make any changes to AMD5000Controller.kext and reinstall using the Kext Utility on 10.9.2 my resolution drops to 800 x 600 and the responsiveness is very slow.  I can reinstall the 10.9.2 update and get the full resolution back, and some performance gains, but I am not getting full QE/CI.  

Here are the log files that appear after editing and reinstalling the kexts according the directions provided. 

Mar 14 18:57:59 jmacpro.local com.apple.kextd[19] <Error>: Can't load /System/Library/Extensions/ATI5000Controller.kext - failed to resolve dependencies.

Mar 14 18:57:59 jmacpro.local com.apple.kextd[19] <Error>: Load com.apple.kext.AMD5000Controller failed; removing personalities from kernel.
Mar 14 18:58:09 jmacpro.local com.apple.kextd[19] <Error>: WARNING - Invalid signature -67030 0xFFFFFFFFFFFEFA2A for kext "/System/Library/Extensions/AMDRadeonX3000.kext"