[Guide] Mavericks 10.9.X - Dell Optiplex 780 (760)

dell mavericks 780 optiplex tutorial osx hd5450 trackpad pdf Simon

• Please log in to reply
292 replies to this topic

Grim Reaper

Grim Reaper

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 76 posts
  • Location:Toronto, Canada (Crack smoking Mayor Rob Ford's city)

Did you put the kext files in from Lukin's post #30 above?  I did and sleep and wake started to act up too.  I don't know why.  I had to replace them with the previously installed kext files and the DSDT worked fine. 

If you need the kext files I am using, go to the OSX86 Wiki and look at the OptiPlex 780 and 960 (mine) OSX 10.9 information posted there for the link to the installation procedure that includes the files.

morpheousman

morpheousman

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 101 posts

Did you put the kext files in from Lukin's post #30 above?  I did and sleep and wake started to act up too.  I don't know why.  I had to replace them with the previously installed kext files and the DSDT worked fine. 

If you need the kext files I am using, go to the OSX86 Wiki and look at the OptiPlex 780 and 960 (mine) OSX 10.9 information posted there for the link to the installation procedure that includes the files.

Thanks for the reply.

I did not change any kext files. Just put the DSDT in the extra folder.

OptiPlex 760
Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 @ 3.0GHz
4GB Ram
Sapphire Radeon HD 5450 1GB
Acer H243H 24" Monitor
Bluetooth USB Cambridge Silicone Radio
Ralink RT5370 USB WiFi 802.11n

lukin

lukin

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts

I do have EthernetBuiltIn set to Yes and I did try Intel82566MM.kext too but Ethernet wouldn't work.  Could you put together your kext folders and email them to me?  I'll send you a PM with my email address.

I`ve already uploaded all the kexts that I`m using right now....except maybe for those that come with myhack (which I used to create my installer)...anyway here goes;

AppleACPIPlatform.kext-------->>> without it, my system won`t boot! 
AppleHDADisabler.kext--------->>> sound fix works with VoodooHDA
VoodooHDA.kext---------------->>> sound fix
AppleLPC.kext------------------->>> edited infoplist to avoid dsdt hack
FakeSMC.kext------------------->>> Mandatory but also used for smbios and powernap 
IOPlatformPluginFamily.kext---->>> PowerNap fix
Intel82566MM.kext-------------->>> Ethernet fix
lspcidrv.kext---------------------->>> Myhack
Patched_10.7_AppleRTC.kext-->>> Myhack

Attached Files

Grim Reaper

Grim Reaper

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 76 posts

I`ve already uploaded all the kexts that I`m using right now....except maybe for those that come with myhack (which I used to create my installer)...anyway here goes;

FakeSMC.kext------------------->>> Mandatory but also used for smbios and powernap 

I'll try them later tomorrow.  Maybe some of those other kexts will remedy the problems I had with the kexts I installed from your #30 post.  Lately, when waking from sleep the ethernet is disabled.  Rebooting didn't fix it so I looked at the BIOS settings and found that sleep had disabled the ethernet in the BIOS which I reset to enabled and it worked again.  I wonder why that is happening?  Maybe your kexts will fix that too.

pepto

pepto

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 111 posts

Hello Guys i am following your conversation about the kext files and sleep and so on. Is it possible to take this in my tutorial with instructions it will help a lot of people like myself.

If we can improve the working of the Dell Optiplex i am willing to change my tutorial for it, let me know.

lukin

lukin

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts

@Grim Reaper, "Patched_10.7_AppleRTC.kext" from Myhack should fix the Bios reset issue, keep us posted.

@pepto, feel free to include whatever you want, in fact I`m so sorry we`ve hijacked your thread, didn`t mean to...I`m still investigating why my system would`t boot if it weren`t for a fixed "AppleACPIPlatform.kext"...I`m stumped, other than that, and maybe a more elaborate DSDT (sorry, almost forgot), our "OptiPlex" is very hackintoshable...let me know if you need anything else, I`d be more than pleased to help, and thank you so much for everything.

morpheousman

morpheousman

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 101 posts

That did it! :)

I replaced all Kexts, except the VoodooHDA Kext, with the kexts in your post, and sleep is working! I went back to the VoodooHDA kext posted by lalakobe because the sound level was very low from the front speaker.  I did not need to edit the PCIRootUID because mine was also a 4.

Great job! If I had one thing I could wish for now, it would be sound over HDMI. It works on my Windows 7 partition. :wink_anim:

OptiPlex 760
4GB Ram
Acer H243H 24" Monitor

pepto

pepto

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 111 posts

@Grim Reaper, "Patched_10.7_AppleRTC.kext" from Myhack should fix the Bios reset issue, keep us posted.

@pepto, feel free to include whatever you want, in fact I`m so sorry we`ve hijacked your thread, didn`t mean to...I`m still investigating why my system would`t boot if it weren`t for a fixed "AppleACPIPlatform.kext"...I`m stumped, other than that, and maybe a more elaborate DSDT (sorry, almost forgot), our "OptiPlex" is very hackintoshable...let me know if you need anything else, I`d be more than pleased to help, and thank you so much for everything.

Hello Lukin no problem that you hijacked my post, i love it that we all make progress with the optiplex 780.

I wanna use all of your files which helped the sleep so i can use it in the install files.

lukin

lukin

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts

Hello Lukin no problem that you hijacked my post, i love it that we all make progress with the optiplex 780.

I wanna use all of your files which helped the sleep so i can use it in the install files.

No prob...happy to help!!! :wink_anim:

pepto

pepto

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 111 posts

Lukin i have a question i have downloaded your extension.zip file and looking at the files at the moment. But i have a question do i need also the DSDT file or not, and can i just use all of the kext files at my 780 to make everything work. I am just a normal guy not a rocket scientist so can you help me out .

ernani

ernani

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

That did it! :)

I replaced all Kexts, except the VoodooHDA Kext, with the kexts in your post, and sleep is working! I went back to the VoodooHDA kext posted by lalakobe because the sound level was very low from the front speaker.  I did not need to edit the PCIRootUID because mine was also a 4.

Great job! If I had one thing I could wish for now, it would be sound over HDMI. It works on my Windows 7 partition. :wink_anim:

OptiPlex 760
4GB Ram
Acer H243H 24" Monitor

Hi everyone!

Thank you for your truly invaluable guides and efforts to make Mavericks work on our old Dells. The installation of Mavericks on my Optiplex 780 went without a single problem. There are only 2 minor difficulties I'm facing: My video card doesn't support QE/CI (ATI Radeon HD 3400), so I am planning to upgrade it to a ATI RADEON HD5450 which has been verified that it's working.

My main problem is... sleep. When I force it to sleep manually (or automatically), I get a black screen with the mouse pointer on (the screen does not even go in stand by mode), and no matter how long I wait, the computer doesn't sleep. When I move the mouse or press any key on the keyboard, the screen wakes up. I used all of lukin's kext files, but not by installing them into /System/Library/Extensions through Kext Utility, but by simply copying it in the /Extra/Extensions folder. Should I be installing them instead and leave the /Extra/Extensions folder as in pepto's #10 post?

Could it also be that my BIOS revision is rather old (A01)?

And finally, if during my kext experiments I end up with an unbootable system, what would be the appropriate way to recover? By entering Mavericks install and opening a Terminal window and from there remove the problematic extensions by hand?

Thank you in advance!

Thank you in advance

pepto

pepto

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 111 posts

The only problem i have with my 780 is that sleep doesn't work at the moment, Sound video and others working fine now.

lukin

lukin

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts

@pepto, that DSDT fixes the sleep & wake from sleep issue, but it`s edited to use PCIRootUID @4 (to avoid the black screen when system wakes), cuz that`s how my system picks it up, you`d have to check yours via terminal using that command from post #30...(you don`t have to try the other kexts)...

@ernani....all my extensions are loaded from Extra/Extensions...if you decide to try any of those, remember to repair permissions...I don`t think the Bios rev has any repercussions on our hacks, but I always upgrade to the latest, and I haven`t noticed any improvements either...so it`s up to you, but it`s preferable to install the OS and test it for stability and when everything is working as it should, only then upgrade to see if it improves anything, that way you can always revert back, should anything happen to your OS X install...and it shouldn`t!  :P

ernani

ernani

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts
@ernani....all my extensions are loaded from Extra/Extensions...if you decide to try any of those, remember to repair permissions...I don`t think the Bios rev has any repercussions on our hacks, but I always upgrade to the latest, and I haven`t noticed any improvements either...so it`s up to you, but it`s preferable to install the OS and test it for stability and when everything is working as it should, only then upgrade to see if it improves anything, that way you can always revert back, should anything happen to your OS X install...and it shouldn`t!  :P

Thanks lukin,

Regarding fixing kext permissions, I know that Kext Utility does that for all extensions inside /S/L/E (and I presume that it doesn't fix only the permissions of the kext folder, but of its entire file structure recursively for all subfolders and files). But for those extensions inside /Extra/Extensions what should I do? (make sure that they are world readable and executable)?

Also, how am I supposed to realize if the DSDT file is actually used? (I've checked and my PCIRootUID is also @4)

Thanks again!

lukin

lukin

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts

@ernani, my understanding is that Kext utility repairs permissions for both...E/E & S/L/E...don`t worry about DSDT file, just drop it in, it`ll get picked up upon next system boot-up....without having to worry about repairing this time.

lukin

lukin

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts

I did some research and successfully applied LPC device patch which means we no longer need a modded "AppleLPC.kext" inside Extra/Extension, the stock one loads just fine, feel free to remove it (repair permissions & reboot).

yw7x.jpg

Attached Files

morpheousman

morpheousman

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 101 posts

I did some research and successfully applied LPC device patch which means we no longer need a modded "AppleLPC.kext" inside Extra/Extension, the stock one loads just fine, feel free to remove it (repair permissions & reboot).

yw7x.jpg

I installed of all the kexts you uploaded using kext utility, and I just looked and there is no AppleLPC kext in my extra/extensions folder. I did also did a search and did not find it? You say that you install all of your kexts from the Extra folder, how? I'm probably missing something simple here.

Also, I have another issue, I'm not sure when it started, but in my internet connections, there is no Ethernet shown. I try to add it, but the computer is not seeing it. I'm using wifi to connect to the internet, but now I cannot connect to the apple store.  EFI studio does not see an ethernet either.

I have tried a few things, and I cannot get the computer to see the ethernet. I don't want to screw it up, so I thought I would ask for help. Maybe one of the kexts I installed caused an issue? Maybe I am missing a kext? I am not sure what to look for. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Grim Reaper

Grim Reaper

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 76 posts

Look in the BIOS and see if the network is activated.  For some unknown reason, it sometimes gets deactivated.

morpheousman

morpheousman

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 101 posts

Look in the BIOS and see if the network is activated.  For some unknown reason, it sometimes gets deactivated.

Wow! Thanks! :)  I never would have thought of that. It did somehow get turned off in the bios. I turned it back on, booted up, and then went through the procedure to get the app store working again, rebooted and now I can sign in,

Now my Bluetooth is going nuts.. It could connect to my iPhone before, but now it just sits there and spins like it is trying to connect, and it will not let me turn Bluetooth off. The Bluetooth is a USB Dongle. If I unplug it and reboot, the Bluetooth icon will be gone, and as soon as I plug the Bluetooth dongle back in, the icon will show up in System Preferences. I add it to network devices, but once again, all I see is the indicator spinning with my iPhone in the device list, and it will not connect or let me turn it off.

I need to get it going, I have a Bluetooth Keyboard and Mouse I purchased and they are being shipped.

Is there any kind of Bluetooth preferences that need to be deleted?

Grim Reaper

Grim Reaper

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 76 posts

Wow! Thanks! :)  I never would have thought of that. It did somehow get turned off in the bios. I turned it back on, booted up, and then went through the procedure to get the app store working again, rebooted and now I can sign in,.

Now my Bluetooth is going nuts.. It could connect to my iPhone before, but now it just sits there and spins like it is trying to connect, and it will not let me turn Bluetooth off. The Bluetooth is a USB type. I need to get it going, I have a Bluetooth Keyboard and Mouse I purchased and they are being shipped.

Is there any kind of Bluetooth preferences that need to be deleted?

You're welcome.  I don't know why the network setting gets changed in the BIOS, it may have something to do with sleep turning it off but that's just a guess.

I don't know the bluetooth problem solution, in my Optiplex 960, I have a Gigabyte GC-WB300D wireless-n/Bluetooth combo PCIe card which only the Bluetooth worked but it works with 10.8.4 and 10.9 fine.  Look around the internet for a kext that enables yours to work or find out what does work and get that.  I'll plug one I have into my Opti 780 and report back.

I plugged a cheap USB Bluetooth 2.0 transceiver into a front USB port and it was recognized immediately and I was able to pair it with a USB keyboard.  It also was able to pair with my LG HDTV that uses Bluetooth.  That indicates there's nothing wrong with the bluetooth capabilities of the kexts in Mavericks running on my computer but that doesn't mean that's true for your computer because what works depends on how Mavericks was installed.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: dell, mavericks, 780, optiplex, tutorial, osx, hd5450, trackpad, pdf, Simon

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2015 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy