[Guide] Mavericks 10.9.X - Dell Optiplex 780 (760)

pepto

307 posts in this topic

That did it! :)

I replaced all Kexts, except the VoodooHDA Kext, with the kexts in your post, and sleep is working! I went back to the VoodooHDA kext posted by lalakobe because the sound level was very low from the front speaker.  I did not need to edit the PCIRootUID because mine was also a 4.

Great job! If I had one thing I could wish for now, it would be sound over HDMI. It works on my Windows 7 partition. :wink_anim:

OptiPlex 760

Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 @ 3.0GHz

4GB Ram

Sapphire Radeon HD 5450 1GB

Acer H243H 24" Monitor

Bluetooth USB Cambridge Silicone Radio

Ralink RT5370 USB WiFi 802.11n

Hi everyone!

Thank you for your truly invaluable guides and efforts to make Mavericks work on our old Dells. The installation of Mavericks on my Optiplex 780 went without a single problem. There are only 2 minor difficulties I'm facing: My video card doesn't support QE/CI (ATI Radeon HD 3400), so I am planning to upgrade it to a ATI RADEON HD5450 which has been verified that it's working.

My main problem is... sleep. When I force it to sleep manually (or automatically), I get a black screen with the mouse pointer on (the screen does not even go in stand by mode), and no matter how long I wait, the computer doesn't sleep. When I move the mouse or press any key on the keyboard, the screen wakes up. I used all of lukin's kext files, but not by installing them into /System/Library/Extensions through Kext Utility, but by simply copying it in the /Extra/Extensions folder. Should I be installing them instead and leave the /Extra/Extensions folder as in pepto's #10 post?

Could it also be that my BIOS revision is rather old (A01)?

And finally, if during my kext experiments I end up with an unbootable system, what would be the appropriate way to recover? By entering Mavericks install and opening a Terminal window and from there remove the problematic extensions by hand?

Thank you in advance!

Thank you in advance

@pepto, that DSDT fixes the sleep & wake from sleep issue, but it`s edited to use PCIRootUID @4 (to avoid the black screen when system wakes), cuz that`s how my system picks it up, you`d have to check yours via terminal using that command from post #30...(you don`t have to try the other kexts)...

@ernani....all my extensions are loaded from Extra/Extensions...if you decide to try any of those, remember to repair permissions...I don`t think the Bios rev has any repercussions on our hacks, but I always upgrade to the latest, and I haven`t noticed any improvements either...so it`s up to you, but it`s preferable to install the OS and test it for stability and when everything is working as it should, only then upgrade to see if it improves anything, that way you can always revert back, should anything happen to your OS X install...and it shouldn`t!  :P

@ernani....all my extensions are loaded from Extra/Extensions...if you decide to try any of those, remember to repair permissions...I don`t think the Bios rev has any repercussions on our hacks, but I always upgrade to the latest, and I haven`t noticed any improvements either...so it`s up to you, but it`s preferable to install the OS and test it for stability and when everything is working as it should, only then upgrade to see if it improves anything, that way you can always revert back, should anything happen to your OS X install...and it shouldn`t!  :P

Thanks lukin,

Regarding fixing kext permissions, I know that Kext Utility does that for all extensions inside /S/L/E (and I presume that it doesn't fix only the permissions of the kext folder, but of its entire file structure recursively for all subfolders and files). But for those extensions inside /Extra/Extensions what should I do? (make sure that they are world readable and executable)?

Also, how am I supposed to realize if the DSDT file is actually used? (I've checked and my PCIRootUID is also @4)

Thanks again!

@ernani, my understanding is that Kext utility repairs permissions for both...E/E & S/L/E...don`t worry about DSDT file, just drop it in, it`ll get picked up upon next system boot-up....without having to worry about repairing this time.

I did some research and successfully applied LPC device patch which means we no longer need a modded "AppleLPC.kext" inside Extra/Extension, the stock one loads just fine, feel free to remove it (repair permissions & reboot).

yw7x.jpg

I installed of all the kexts you uploaded using kext utility, and I just looked and there is no AppleLPC kext in my extra/extensions folder. I did also did a search and did not find it? You say that you install all of your kexts from the Extra folder, how? I'm probably missing something simple here.

Also, I have another issue, I'm not sure when it started, but in my internet connections, there is no Ethernet shown. I try to add it, but the computer is not seeing it. I'm using wifi to connect to the internet, but now I cannot connect to the apple store.  EFI studio does not see an ethernet either.

I have tried a few things, and I cannot get the computer to see the ethernet. I don't want to screw it up, so I thought I would ask for help. Maybe one of the kexts I installed caused an issue? Maybe I am missing a kext? I am not sure what to look for. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Look in the BIOS and see if the network is activated.  For some unknown reason, it sometimes gets deactivated.

Wow! Thanks! :)  I never would have thought of that. It did somehow get turned off in the bios. I turned it back on, booted up, and then went through the procedure to get the app store working again, rebooted and now I can sign in,

Now my Bluetooth is going nuts.. It could connect to my iPhone before, but now it just sits there and spins like it is trying to connect, and it will not let me turn Bluetooth off. The Bluetooth is a USB Dongle. If I unplug it and reboot, the Bluetooth icon will be gone, and as soon as I plug the Bluetooth dongle back in, the icon will show up in System Preferences. I add it to network devices, but once again, all I see is the indicator spinning with my iPhone in the device list, and it will not connect or let me turn it off.

I need to get it going, I have a Bluetooth Keyboard and Mouse I purchased and they are being shipped.

Is there any kind of Bluetooth preferences that need to be deleted?

Wow! Thanks! :)  I never would have thought of that. It did somehow get turned off in the bios. I turned it back on, booted up, and then went through the procedure to get the app store working again, rebooted and now I can sign in,.

Now my Bluetooth is going nuts.. It could connect to my iPhone before, but now it just sits there and spins like it is trying to connect, and it will not let me turn Bluetooth off. The Bluetooth is a USB type. I need to get it going, I have a Bluetooth Keyboard and Mouse I purchased and they are being shipped.

Is there any kind of Bluetooth preferences that need to be deleted?

You're welcome.  I don't know why the network setting gets changed in the BIOS, it may have something to do with sleep turning it off but that's just a guess.

I don't know the bluetooth problem solution, in my Optiplex 960, I have a Gigabyte GC-WB300D wireless-n/Bluetooth combo PCIe card which only the Bluetooth worked but it works with 10.8.4 and 10.9 fine.  Look around the internet for a kext that enables yours to work or find out what does work and get that.  I'll plug one I have into my Opti 780 and report back.

I plugged a cheap USB Bluetooth 2.0 transceiver into a front USB port and it was recognized immediately and I was able to pair it with a USB keyboard.  It also was able to pair with my LG HDTV that uses Bluetooth.  That indicates there's nothing wrong with the bluetooth capabilities of the kexts in Mavericks running on my computer but that doesn't mean that's true for your computer because what works depends on how Mavericks was installed.

Applied some other small stuff; shutdown fix, RTC, TMR, and PIC to name a few...I said small stuff because everything was there in the first place but had slightly wrong values...Go here for more info.

I noticed that your 780 has BIOS version A15 but Dell's website only has version A14, where did you get it?

Nevermind,  I found it: http://www.dell.com/support/drivers/us/en/04/Product/optiplex-780

I think updating to that may fix some of the problems my Optiplex 780 has.

• Like 1

That's it. I give up :( . No matter how hard I tried to make my Optiplex 780 to sleep, I failed... I used lukin's DSDT, all of his extensions - I even installed them in the /S/L/E/ folder, but the computer won't sleep! Just the screen gets black, with the mouse pointer still showing. Lukin, as a last attempt, I'm thinking of using your entire Extra directory, in case I missed something. Would it be possible to upload it somewhere, provided that if by using it my kernel... panicks :) , I will be able to boot somehow and restore mine back?

Thank you in advance

@ernani, I wish it was that easy...but if we do like that I`m afraid it might mess things even more than it fixes, believe me, take it one step at a time, try one thing and then move on to smth else, everybody seems to have had success using my dsdt, i don`t see why your system is different, remove all my extensions, try my dsdt alone and boot with that...check your boot.plist for missing keys...check your bios settings...

How is your system hooked up to the monitor (vga, dvi, hdmi)?

ernani,

Attached is a compressed file, Mavericks Added Kext Etc.zip, that contains the Extra folder and the kext drivers that I have installed in my Optiplex 780 desktop computer.  I installed Mavericks according to a post I made in the OSX86 Wiki for installing Mavericks OS X 10.9 in the Optiplex 960 which has virtually identical hardware to the Optiplex 780.  Above my post there is another one specific to the Optiplex 780. If you can't get your installation working well, reinstall Mavericks by using the methods stated in those two posts and add the files that are attached to this post.  Good luck.

Mavericks Added Kext Etc.zip

@Grim Reaper

Thank you very much for your help. I'll make a TimeMachine backup of my existing configuration and attempt to install your extensions and see what happens.

@lukin,

Strangely enough, I followed the guide of the 1st post in this thread to the letter, and as in pepto's case, everything works from day one except sleep (oh and graphics because of my old HD Radeon 3400 card, but I'm expecting an HD Radeon 5450 Sapphire tommorrow :) ). Since my initial setup, I've been following the suggestions of the forum members posting here, and currently I believe I match your configuration wrt smbios (10.1), DSDT, chameleon.boot.plist, boot flags -v -f, and kernel extensions. I also removed ElliotForceLegacyRTC and NullCPUPowerManagement, thinking that the latter might prevent sleep, but my situation remains. My monitor is hooked up with dvi. I evenexperimented with pmset assertions using hibernatemode = 25 to make sure that during sleep it will hibernate, but to no avail... I'll keep trying, but my spare time until the end of the month will be extremely limited - I might fix it when 10.9.1 comes out :P.

Just a quick question. If after removing a needed or installing an offending extension and my system doesn't boot any more, what can I do? Is safe boot (-x) going to work, so that I can correct my mistake?

Thank you all in advance!

@ernani,

I installed Mavericks using Myhack, I created my installer using "myHack-3.2-BETA-8" at the time;...the latest one has issues I guess, I came across smth like that, not sure though, never tried cuz I didn`t need to, Mavericks was already up and running...

Anyway, get it from the link below, drag it to your application folder, run it and create your Mavericks usb installer, make sure you include My Extra folder (I`ll have a link for you, eyes-only pls) in there (usb installer),...

Install a newer chameleon build from here, (get the latest trunk pkg) on top by pointing to your usb installer...

Use Myhack to run myfix on your usb installer (repair permissions; choose quick), that`s it...reboot..F12...pick usb...proceed as usual...

Now depending on your graphics, you may get a messed up welcome screen, a video bug, if you get it...wait for about a min until you can see and hear "for English press return key blah blah..." when you do, put your computer to sleep via power button, wait for it to sleep, then wake it via power button again...now you`ll get a clean welcome screen, so you can proceed with a clean install...

Towards the end, it`ll ask you to remove certain extensions, say yes, and then it`ll ask you again for your Extra folder, point it to your extra folder...reboot and hopefully you`re done!

Get Myhack Beta, the one I used, Here

@Grim Reaper

Thank you very much for your help. I'll make a TimeMachine backup of my existing configuration and attempt to install your extensions and see what happens.

@lukin,

Strangely enough, I followed the guide of the 1st post in this thread to the letter, and as in pepto's case, everything works from day one except sleep (oh and graphics because of my old HD Radeon 3400 card, but I'm expecting an HD Radeon 5450 Sapphire tommorrow :) ). Since my initial setup, I've been following the suggestions of the forum members posting here, and currently I believe I match your configuration wrt smbios (10.1), DSDT, chameleon.boot.plist, boot flags -v -f, and kernel extensions. I also removed ElliotForceLegacyRTC and NullCPUPowerManagement, thinking that the latter might prevent sleep, but my situation remains. My monitor is hooked up with dvi. I evenexperimented with pmset assertions using hibernatemode = 25 to make sure that during sleep it will hibernate, but to no avail... I'll keep trying, but my spare time until the end of the month will be extremely limited - I might fix it when 10.9.1 comes out :P.

Just a quick question. If after removing a needed or installing an offending extension and my system doesn't boot any more, what can I do? Is safe boot (-x) going to work, so that I can correct my mistake?

Thank you all in advance!

Just to be safe, use a permissions fix utility after removing and always after adding a kext.  I also no longer depend on the cache to be ok when booting, I use -f -v at startup to reload all the kext files and monitor the boot process.   If an incompatible extension/kext is causing a problem, you should have a second installation of Mavericks that is known to work available on a separate drive to boot from then remove the problematic kext from the unbootable OS installation and repair permissions for that drive. Also, sometimes the boot loader screws up so reinstalling it, I use Chameleon, will prevent that but, for obvious reasons, you have to do it before you reboot. I have cloned a working install of Mavericks to a separate hard drive and reinstalled the Chameleon boot loader to that drive after cloning and test it to make sure it works then, whenever there's a problem, I use it to get me out of trouble.

That new video card may fix some problems without doing anything.

Major problem...

Remember two days ago I said I would upgrade the BIOS of my 780 to revision A15? When I run the updater program within my Win7 installation, Windows crashed (bsod), rebooted and the BIOS was upgraded. Since then, Windows crashed randomly, and now I can barely login before they crash again.

And things are much worse. My Mavericks installation for some reason does not boot. At first I thought it was the bootloader, but the computer refuses to boot even from the usb drive I performed the Mavericks installation 3 days ago. It hangs at a "/" at the top left corner of the screen, before chameleon loads. The thing is that the usb drive works (boots) normally from another identical Optiplex 780 we have at the office.

Could this be a BIOS problem? Because, frankly, I can't think of anything else. Should I attempt to reflash the BIOS (same version or the one I originally had - A01)?

And another thing: On the Bios log I noticed 4 CMOS checksum errors which occurred the day I performed the BIOS update. Could this have been caused by my experimentation with Mavericks kexts, and specifically by not including sometimes I booted into Mavericks this ElliotRTC patch?

Any help is greatly appreciated. Tomorrow I will attempt to reinstall Windows. If it turns out though that I destroyed my BIOS and my Windows installation because of Mavericks...

Major problem...

Remember two days ago I said I would upgrade the BIOS of my 780 to revision A15? When I run the updater program within my Win7 installation, Windows crashed (bsod), rebooted and the BIOS was upgraded. Since then, Windows crashed randomly, and now I can barely login before they crash again.

And things are much worse. My Mavericks installation for some reason does not boot. At first I thought it was the bootloader, but the computer refuses to boot even from the usb drive I performed the Mavericks installation 3 days ago. It hangs at a "/" at the top left corner of the screen, before chameleon loads. The thing is that the usb drive works (boots) normally from another identical Optiplex 780 we have at the office.

Could this be a BIOS problem? Because, frankly, I can't think of anything else. Should I attempt to reflash the BIOS (same version or the one I originally had - A01)?

And another thing: On the Bios log I noticed 4 CMOS checksum errors which occurred the day I performed the BIOS update. Could this have been caused by my experimentation with Mavericks kexts, and specifically by not including sometimes I booted into Mavericks this ElliotRTC patch?

Any help is greatly appreciated. Tomorrow I will attempt to reinstall Windows. If it turns out though that I destroyed my BIOS and my Windows installation because of Mavericks...

I was running A06, ancient.  Updating was a PIA.  I had to find a utility to format a usb flash drive to DOS boot ( http://www.biosflash.com/e/bios-boot-usb-stick.htm ), insert a usb flash drive into a rear usb port, format the usb flash drive as FAT32, rename the BIOS update file to A15 to get rid of the hyphen in the BIOS update file name, put the BIOS update file named A15 at the root of the usb flash drive, pull the power cord out of the back of the computer, physically detach the internal hard drive SATA cable from the motherboard, put the power cord back in, F2 boot into setup and change from AHCI to legacy, reboot with the usb flash drive plugged in and F1 to continue booting, type the BIOS update file name ( A15.exe) and wait until it rebooted then pressed F2 and put everything in the BIOS back the way it was before, pull the power cord, reconnected the internal hard drive SATA cable to the motherboard, take out the usb flash drive, put the power cord back in, reboot.  It works.  Try that before you do anything else.

Hello i am at the moment busy with the install of Mavericks to make it 100% stable, i have found some issue's and i will also improve the performance of the Dell Optiplex 780 and 760.

I am also testing some new kext files wich have been posted in this thread to see what they do extra outside the kext i have used in the install109.zip.

The problems i have discovered with my kext files are.

1. Volume adjust doesn't work (already have a new kext file that works, not in the install109.zip)
  2. Sleep/Wake up problem (No problems with the kext i delivered in the zip.)
  3. Update iWork, iLife and Aperture doesn't work message about appleID (fixed with clover)
  4. Boot1:error with Clover on a 4K HDD (trying to use Clover bootloader because the appleID error with updating iLife, iWork and Aperture)

When all issue's are solved i will rewrite the tutorial and put the new files in the zip.

• Like 1

1. Update iWork, iLife and Aperture doesn't work message about appleID (fixed with clover)

for those who prefer staying on chameleon - its not possible with chameleon atm, but there is a detour. i installed vmware fusion - installed mavericks virtual machine - installed iWork, iLife, Aperture in the VM, after that links appeared in AppStore on hackintosh.

for those who prefer staying on chameleon - its not possible with chameleon atm, but there is a detour. i installed vmware fusion - installed mavericks virtual machine - installed iWork, iLife, Aperture in the VM, after that links appeared in AppStore on hackintosh.

I have done 2 installtions on the Dell780 1 with Chameleon and 1 with Clover after installing clover i was able to update iLife, iWork and aperture, i have also created a recovery disk and with clover the option in icoud find my mac works.

Clover is doing more things than chameleon thats why i preffered Clover but with my 4K HDD i can't boot with clover only with a standard HDD with 160GB and 512 KB cache.

First i have a boot 0 error and after sloving the boot 0 error i get a boot1 error with clover.

• Like 1

I have done 2 installtions on the Dell780 1 with Chameleon and 1 with Clover after installing clover i was able to update iLife, iWork and aperture, i have also created a recovery disk and with clover the option in icoud find my mac works.

Clover is doing more things than chameleon thats why i preffered Clover but with my 4K HDD i can't boot with clover only with a standard HDD with 160GB and 512 KB cache.

First i have a boot 0 error and after sloving the boot 0 error i get a boot1 error with clover.

Wow!!!...updates working with recovery disk!!!...I`ve always wanted to get Recovery Disk working, does it work like on real Mac? did you try my DSDT on Clover?, What about Sleep/Wake?...yes I know I get excited, please bear with me :D ; I`m not gonna lie, I`m tempted as hell....problem is I`m not familiar with Clover at all, not one bit...if you ever decide to post a guide using Clover, and I hope you do, please be very thorough...Thx so much for the good news...can`t wait!!!