[Guide] Mavericks 10.9.X - Dell Optiplex 780 (760)

pepto

307 posts in this topic

lalakobe,

Thanks for your help with getting audio working on my OptiPlex 780 and 960 desktops which have the AD1984a codec.  The internal speaker now works!  I am going to post a link to your post, with credit to you, in my post on the OSX86 Wiki about installing OSX 10.9 on the OptiPlex 960.

• Like 1

According to information in the OSX86 Wiki about the installation of OS X 10.9 on the OptiPlex 780, sleep and wake from sleep should work but I haven't been able to get it to work on my OptiPlex 780 or 960.  Does anyone know what is necessary to get it to work?

mine goes to sleep, but shuts down on wakeup, and after restart integrated NIC is disabled in BIOS

was anybody able to boot without -f switch?

What is the -f switch?

I figured it out and my Optiplex 780 boots without the -f switch.  I removed it then repaired permissions with kext utility and the 780 booted without any problem.

@Grim Reaper, @lalakobe

I`m using a modded DSDT from @nimrodel50 from osxlatitude.com forum, he successfully patched ahci and usb...(post #023)

running on similar hardware, dunno if it`s 780 though, might be 745-755...sleep and wake from sleep works beautifully!!!...I had a couple of issues at the time though, when applied as is...like losing internet after wake, which turned out to be an easy fix with "Intel82566MM.kext", and the following black screen video fix...this DSDT is not tailored to the 780 series but because it`s not breaking anything (or so it seems to me, well I hope)...I didn`t bother with further elaborate DSDT edits, it stills messes with my head, you can try if you like!

if you decide to use it, make sure you include your PCIRootUID into your boot.plist and DSDT to avoid black screen after wake (from sleep), you can use DSDT Editor to edit _UID under Device PCI0 (sorry i highlighted GRFX in scr cap), run the following command to get your current system value (as you can see from the screenshot below, mine`s 4);

ioreg -l | grep -15 "AppleACPIPCI\ " | grep UID

vs2.jpeg

I`ve also come across a patched VoodooHDA (latest) that does not crash my system (only a couple of times if i remember correctly but works great most of the time), and makes use of both internal and external speakers at the same time..you just have to lower the volume all the way down to be able to use the internal speaker while still outputting from Line-out (Green-Rear)....amazing!!!

DSDT.aml.zip

Intel82566MM.kext.zip

VoodooHDA.kext.zip

• Like 1

lukin,

Thanks for your help.  I will try out what you've provided.  I have done some investigation and found that sleep and wake from sleep work but takes about 2 1/2 minutes to sleep manually then, after the power button on the front of the 780 is pressed momentarily, it takes the same length of time to wake. It won't wake from the keyboard or mouse which I think is due to the USB ports being shutdown during sleep because they are designated as being located in an "expansion slot" by AppleUSBUHCI.  Hopefully, what you've provided will fix those problems.

UPDATE:

This is amazing!

I installed the DSDT file only and it appears to work without negative repurcussions to my OptiPlex 780.  The Ethernet works with AppleIntelE1000e.kext, the HD4350 works with Q/CI, audio including the internal speaker, everything that worked before still works and now sleep and wake work like they should with the USB keyboard (USB ports are now properly setup as internal).  The 780 boots faster and seems to run faster than before.

If that DSDT file is for the OptiPlex 760 but works this well with the OptiPlex 780 that uses DDR3 memory instead of DDR2 and the BIOS is different too, it is amazing.  I wonder what the downside is or will turn out to be, hopefully none. 

• Like 1

@Grim Reaper, Thx for reporting back...so happy it worked out well for you, after all we`re both running 780 series, why shouldn`t it?

Are you guys running any other extensions (extra/extensions)? let me explain; I`ve always had problems loading stock "AppleACPIPlatform.kext", my system would just be stuck at booter stage endlessly (Apple Grey screen)...so I always end up going back to using older versions, I think the latest one was from Mountain Lion 10.8.1 that I didn`t have any issues with...kept using it until...

Luckily, when i decided to upgrade to Mavericks, a member by the name @crunk from osx86.net posted a fixed Mavericks-ready kext that works great, it even enables PowerNap when combined with proper "FakeSMC" & "ACPI_SMC_PlatformPlugin" edits...which you can load from extra/extensions...(modded to be used with iMac 10.1 compatible smbios ONLY, let me know if you need any help with that)

I must warn you though that there might be a slight performance decrease in doing so according to this post here..., make sure you read the comments as well :P !!!

AppleACPIPlatform.kext.zip

FakeSMC.kext.zip

IOPlatformPluginFamily.kext.zip

• Like 1

Lukin,

My Opti 780 has been running with the DSDT you provided overnight without any evident problems.  It sleeps manually and automatically and wakes up immediately.  I compared the DSDT code with the stock code from my 780 and found there's a lot of similarities and differences but I am not going to spend the time and superhuman mental effort to figure out the purpose of all the differences.  As an experiment, I am going to replace the USB code in the stock 780 DSDT with the code from the DSDT you provided and see if sleep and wakeup work with the keyboard and mouse.  I may do some other, similar, changes with the stock 780 DSDT but, since the one you provided appears to be working without any negatives, I will end up using it anyway because the Opti 780 seems to be much faster booting and running than with the stock DSDT.

I am using the iMac 9,1 smbios so I will have to switch to the 10,1 before I install the kext files you've supplied in your last post.  I'll post back what happens.

• Like 1

As an experiment, I am going to replace the USB code in the stock 780 DSDT with the code from the DSDT you provided and see if sleep and wakeup work with the keyboard and mouse.

It`d be real awesome if you pull it off...take your time and keep us posted....

Thx so much for your interest...

The kexts caused my Opti 780 to boot slower, restart and shutdown didn't work properly shutting off the cpu but not completely shutting down the computer, the Ethernet didn't work anymore and prevented use of the App Store.  I restored the previous kexts and my Opti 780 worked OK again.  The problems may be due to one or more of the kexts so I will have to install them individually to determine that.

I`m using all the above without any issues; wondering what kexts are you using inside Extra/Extensions?

If your system boots fine without that "AppleACPIPlatform.kext", leave it until you have figured out what is causing this mess.

Ethernet & AppStore.......make sure your "org.chameleon.Boot" has "EthernetBuiltIn" set to "Yes", and try "Intel82566MM.kextinstead of the one you`re running now, and if you`re not able to log in to the App Store, it might be an smbios issue; invalid serial for example.

I do have EthernetBuiltIn set to Yes and I did try Intel82566MM.kext too but Ethernet wouldn't work.  Could you put together your kext folders and email them to me?  I'll send you a PM with my email address.

I'm a bit new at this. Can someone please tell me how to install the DSDT? I downloaded the file, and it is named DSDT-2.aml, not sure where it goes

Also, the edit to the PciRoot.UID, is it necessary? Is there a link to DSDT editor?

I guess I could try installing the DSDT in the /Extra folder, then editing the com.apple.boot.plist with a text editor?

Thanks in advance!

Edit: I have tried a few things, but can't get it to come out of sleep. I'll do some more thread searching and reading.

OptiPlex 760
Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 @ 3.0GHz
4GB Ram
Sapphire Radeon HD 5450 1GB
Acer H243H 24" Monitor
Bluetooth USB Cambridge Silicone Radio
Ralink RT5370 USB WiFi 802.11n

Change the file name to DSDT.aml and put it into the Extra folder.  I didn't have to change PciRoot because it is the same as in the DSDT.aml file so you probably don't have to.  Reboot. 

Change the file name to DSDT.aml and put it into the Extra folder.  I didn't have to change PciRoot because it is the same as in the DSDT.aml file so you probably don't have to.  Reboot. 

Thanks for the help! I renamed to DSDT.aml and put it in the Extra folder, after a reboot I set Computer Sleep to 1 Minute to test. The monitor goes to sleep, but not the computer.

EDIT: The computer goes to sleep about 2 minutes after the monitor, but when I press a key to wake the computer, it reboots?

OptiPlex 760

4GB Ram

Acer H243H 24" Monitor

Did you put the kext files in from Lukin's post #30 above?  I did and sleep and wake started to act up too.  I don't know why.  I had to replace them with the previously installed kext files and the DSDT worked fine. 

If you need the kext files I am using, go to the OSX86 Wiki and look at the OptiPlex 780 and 960 (mine) OSX 10.9 information posted there for the link to the installation procedure that includes the files.

Did you put the kext files in from Lukin's post #30 above?  I did and sleep and wake started to act up too.  I don't know why.  I had to replace them with the previously installed kext files and the DSDT worked fine. 

If you need the kext files I am using, go to the OSX86 Wiki and look at the OptiPlex 780 and 960 (mine) OSX 10.9 information posted there for the link to the installation procedure that includes the files.

Thanks for the reply.

I did not change any kext files. Just put the DSDT in the extra folder.

OptiPlex 760

4GB Ram

Acer H243H 24" Monitor

I do have EthernetBuiltIn set to Yes and I did try Intel82566MM.kext too but Ethernet wouldn't work.  Could you put together your kext folders and email them to me?  I'll send you a PM with my email address.

I`ve already uploaded all the kexts that I`m using right now....except maybe for those that come with myhack (which I used to create my installer)...anyway here goes;

AppleACPIPlatform.kext-------->>> without it, my system won`t boot! 
AppleHDADisabler.kext--------->>> sound fix works with VoodooHDA
VoodooHDA.kext---------------->>> sound fix
AppleLPC.kext------------------->>> edited infoplist to avoid dsdt hack
FakeSMC.kext------------------->>> Mandatory but also used for smbios and powernap 
IOPlatformPluginFamily.kext---->>> PowerNap fix
Intel82566MM.kext-------------->>> Ethernet fix
lspcidrv.kext---------------------->>> Myhack
Patched_10.7_AppleRTC.kext-->>> Myhack

Extensions.zip

• Like 2

I`ve already uploaded all the kexts that I`m using right now....except maybe for those that come with myhack (which I used to create my installer)...anyway here goes;

FakeSMC.kext------------------->>> Mandatory but also used for smbios and powernap 

I'll try them later tomorrow.  Maybe some of those other kexts will remedy the problems I had with the kexts I installed from your #30 post.  Lately, when waking from sleep the ethernet is disabled.  Rebooting didn't fix it so I looked at the BIOS settings and found that sleep had disabled the ethernet in the BIOS which I reset to enabled and it worked again.  I wonder why that is happening?  Maybe your kexts will fix that too.

• Like 1

Hello Guys i am following your conversation about the kext files and sleep and so on. Is it possible to take this in my tutorial with instructions it will help a lot of people like myself.

If we can improve the working of the Dell Optiplex i am willing to change my tutorial for it, let me know.

@Grim Reaper, "Patched_10.7_AppleRTC.kext" from Myhack should fix the Bios reset issue, keep us posted.

@pepto, feel free to include whatever you want, in fact I`m so sorry we`ve hijacked your thread, didn`t mean to...I`m still investigating why my system would`t boot if it weren`t for a fixed "AppleACPIPlatform.kext"...I`m stumped, other than that, and maybe a more elaborate DSDT (sorry, almost forgot), our "OptiPlex" is very hackintoshable...let me know if you need anything else, I`d be more than pleased to help, and thank you so much for everything.

That did it! :)

I replaced all Kexts, except the VoodooHDA Kext, with the kexts in your post, and sleep is working! I went back to the VoodooHDA kext posted by lalakobe because the sound level was very low from the front speaker.  I did not need to edit the PCIRootUID because mine was also a 4.

Great job! If I had one thing I could wish for now, it would be sound over HDMI. It works on my Windows 7 partition. :wink_anim:

OptiPlex 760

4GB Ram

Acer H243H 24" Monitor

• Like 1

@Grim Reaper, "Patched_10.7_AppleRTC.kext" from Myhack should fix the Bios reset issue, keep us posted.

@pepto, feel free to include whatever you want, in fact I`m so sorry we`ve hijacked your thread, didn`t mean to...I`m still investigating why my system would`t boot if it weren`t for a fixed "AppleACPIPlatform.kext"...I`m stumped, other than that, and maybe a more elaborate DSDT (sorry, almost forgot), our "OptiPlex" is very hackintoshable...let me know if you need anything else, I`d be more than pleased to help, and thank you so much for everything.

Hello Lukin no problem that you hijacked my post, i love it that we all make progress with the optiplex 780.

I wanna use all of your files which helped the sleep so i can use it in the install files.

• Like 1

Hello Lukin no problem that you hijacked my post, i love it that we all make progress with the optiplex 780.

I wanna use all of your files which helped the sleep so i can use it in the install files.

No prob...happy to help!!! :wink_anim:

Lukin i have a question i have downloaded your extension.zip file and looking at the files at the moment. But i have a question do i need also the DSDT file or not, and can i just use all of the kext files at my 780 to make everything work. I am just a normal guy not a rocket scientist so can you help me out .