Graphics - No GPU Power Management

chevalier433

270 posts in this topic

By latest version do you mean 901 or did you compile it from source? I've been on 901 for a little while here.

Also what's up with your sound? I was thinking about getting a Focusrite interface because of issues I'm having with NI's drivers. I've ordered a dedicated USB 2.0 PCIe card in the mean time to see if that makes any difference.

Maybe, but it looks like this is tied to FakeSMC and the GPUSensor plugin somehow as well.

I grabbed the latest version yesterday and my GPU idle temp is back to normal (around 36 degrees), I tried running VLC and a couple of games and the GPU (vanilla EVGA GTX 660) throttles down properly afterwards.

I didn't try any of the Unigine benchmarks, I will next time. Not using my Hack at the moment, I have no sound...until Focusrite gets their act together.

Using iMac13,1. I've never touched AGPM.kext.

Open a jpeg file using Preview and check your gpu speed.

ok I'll try that next time I boot into Mavs.

Riley: I just grabbed the latest pkg at Sourceforge.

The original USB 1.1 version of the Saffire 6 USB (which I have) has some issues. The 1.1 version must be connected directly to a USB root hub in order to work properly and the Intel PCH apparently doesn't allow that. I had to buy a USB 2.0 PCI card to get the latency down and now it works fine, at least on Windows 7.

I have an X-Fi Titanium PCI-E card for Windows gaming, so I keep on-board sound disabled.

I was using the Saffire 6 for sound on OS X, but with the latest driver on Mavericks all you get is static whenever there's audio playing.

Around the same time as I bought the Saffire 6 they silently released an USB 2.0 version. I literally watched as the product description on Amazon changed. The only visible difference is the serial number and that the USB port on it is labeled 2.0. From what I've read, the USB 2.0 version works fine with the Intel PCH and there are no problems on Mavericks either. I guess I was just unlucky and received the 1.1 version instead of the 2.0.

Anyway, the Saffire 6 has served me well, I even got to make a little money with it. It's my first "real" audio interface. It's too bad it seems to have reached the end of the line.

/EDIT

There's a beta driver out now that fixes this issue. The initial beta release did not work, apparently I'm the only Saffire 6 owner that runs Mavericks and uses a USB PCI-E card.

Ah I see. I was reading about that non-root hub issue when I was looking up possible fixes for the issues I'm having with mine. I'm hoping the card will help. If nothing else it might bring latency down a bit as you say. Focusrite seem to have good support though so I'm sure they'll come through with a driver fix.

Back on topic, let us know if quicklook causes your card to ramp up and get stuck. As I said, for me it stays at full speed from boot.

Also what's up with your sound? I was thinking about getting a Focusrite interface because of issues I'm having with NI's drivers. I've ordered a dedicated USB 2.0 PCIe card in the mean time to see if that makes any difference.

For what it's worth, I'm using the Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 in 10.9 without any issues.

Back to the issue, actually I found out I have the same issue as cahhee. after a reboot if I use Quicklook my GPU freq goes up to 1GHZ and doesn't go down.

However, if I reboot and try Heaven Benchmark, my GPU goes to 1.10 GHZ and goes down to 200MHZ after a few seconds... weird indeed

I don't think that is related to fakesmc or gpu sensors since it happens in real macs too..

I run some 3d benchmarks as well with my  gtx660 no problems at all but quicklook or preview seems to cause the bug..

OpenCL benchmarks also cause the same bug so...wait for 10.9.1 cause 10.9 kinda failed on that matter..

OK....did a few tests more!

used the OpenCL.frameworks of ML, the GPU now is working like it should, throttling up and down, doesn´t matter which application is in use, tried first with Quicklook/Finder and Photoshop....everything working fine so fare.
But i got another problem during the test....scrambled graphics in some parts, or just no icons.

So i´m pretty sure the whole problem/bug is only related to OpenCL

OpenCL1.jpg

OpenCL2.jpg

GPUOpenCL.jpg

other point...i´m not able to install the new HwSensors build HWSensors.5.3.935.pkg
i got errors the normal way with the installer and with pacifist. any ideas?

OK....did a few tests more!

used the OpenCL.frameworks of ML, the GPU now is working like it should, throttling up and down, doesn´t matter which application is in use, tried first with Quicklook/Finder and Photoshop....everything working fine so fare.

But i got another problem during the test....scrambled graphics in some parts, or just no icons.

So i´m pretty sure the whole problem/bug is only related to OpenCL

OpenCL1.jpg

OpenCL2.jpg

GPUOpenCL.jpg

other point...i´m not able to install the new HwSensors build HWSensors.5.3.935.pkg

i got errors the normal way with the installer and with pacifist. any ideas?

So you have mixed Mavericks with ML? :D :D :D :D What about temperatures in this case? +10 degrees?

So you have mixed Mavericks with ML? :D :D :D :D What about temperatures in this case? +10 degrees?

everything about clocking up/down and temperatures is ok, like it should be...but you get crazy graphic glitches and missing icons.

the test was just to find where the bug is related to....result OpenCL ( in my opinion)

For sure, it's something related with OpenCL or OpenGL. 

I used INSTRUMENTS on Xcode to check what QuickLook loads and I found OpenGL more than OpenCL. Also, OpenCL loads OpenGL.

But how can we refresh or reload the crashed kext/module? 

Strangely after running at 1GHz on boot since DP4, today my 670 started running at 324MHz. I benched it with CUDA-Z and it clocked up and down as expected. Quicklook-ed a picture and it stuck at 1GHz as expected.

Why it suddenly stopped booting in it's highest state is a mystery to me.

• Like 1

No news from Apple or Nvidia?

From Macnn.com

Apple has seeded the first OS X 10.9.1 beta to developers, reports say. In release notes, the company asks developers to concentrate testing on Mail, graphics drivers, and VoiceOver accessibility. The code is listed as build 13B27.

Read more: http://www.macnn.com/articles/13/11/15/mail.graphics.problems.among.focus.areas/#ixzz2klQoGlp4

Hopefully a fix will be among them.

• Like 1

It's also present in the nVidia drivers on 10.8.5. Just not as noticeable because Preview doesn't use OpenCL there. Run a Luxmark or Oceanwave benchmark and you'll see it.

Lets just hope one of them manage to fix it.

It's a shame. Apple can't claim an increased battery life with this catastrophic bug. It's impossibile to think that noboby in Apple has noticed it,

OSX it's meant to run well and smooth 24/7. with mavericks they made it a {censored}, it's all crash... expecially the Finder (or the Looser).

Anyway it is free. Does free means no complains accepted?

That is a really funny bug!

I was experimenting on my system because my system gets less than stellar performance on my OSX partition when compared to my windows partition. I edited my AGPM.kext with my device ID for my GT 640 and edited the thresholds and it seemed better. The Frequency seemed to fluctuate normally but my FPS in games still remained low.

When i opened up my preview.app it did indeed stick at maximum frequency, which my games seemed never able to achieve. Now when i play my games with the GPU maxed out i get MUCH better frame rates!

I'll check with a Zotac GT 640 Zone this weekend. I remember this card didn't use to get the error when running Luxmark OpenCL under 10.8.5. I'll report back.

Update: The Zotac GT 640 has the same issue after Quicklook. It seems we will just have to wait for Apple to fix this. Has anyone got a real iMac with an NVIDIA card? Would be nice to know if "real" Macs have the same issue. My MB Air only has integrated graphics :-\