TP-Link TL-WDN4800 - 5GHz issue/investigation

mattsnowboard

5 posts in this topic

I saw the TP-Link TL-WDN4800 was supported for OS X so I bought it but couldn't get 5GHz to work (it's my only 5GHz client right now and in an apartment, 5GHz is awesome...for the time being). I checked the console and noticed that the off-channel scans only do 1-13, 36-60. So it misses if your router defaults to one of the higher channels.

Any idea why that is? Does the AR93x driver not support those channels (on a real Mac)? Does the scan just have a bug?

It's also curious that the scan does 12/13, which aren't supposed to be used in North America.

It almost seems like the country configuration is just off: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_WLAN_channels

Israel? Singapore? China?

Anyone know if there is some locale setting that the wlan driver is getting? I'm interested in diving into this issue a bit more because I'm a developer for some of the WiFi components in Windows :whistle:   and look at similar issues to this every day at work.

Try channel 48, gives 5GHz but only 300mb

Not helpful...

I know I can switch to a specific lower channel, but why should I have to?

And where are you coming up with this "only 300mb" stuff? Please don't misinform others who might read this thread.

As a more helpful update, I've stumbled upon this:

http://www.tonymacx86.com/network/64158-tl-wdn4800-not-recognized-mt-lion.html

Supported Channels:    1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 36, 40, 44, 48, 52, 56, 60, 64

That's consistent with my findings, though I don't really know:

A) How to check that output about the wireless interface in terminal

B) How to change those channels if it is even possible (since the NIC itself should actually support higher channels). Is there a different Atheros driver that supports those? Some bad configuration that causes the supported channels to get limited to some non-USA set?

• 1 month later...
  • 7 months later...

Ah, this thread again...

I still wish I knew how to get the NIC to use all of USA 5GHz channels, and not just the subset it reports as supported. Since I have dual booting working now though, I guess I could double check that the hardware actually supports the higher channels in Windows just to confirm it's an odd Mac driver bug.

My best guess is the card shows up as something that Mac identifies as a Chinese or other country NIC and loads some driver with less channels supported than it should. If that's correct, there's likely a way to make the card appear as something else and work fine. Who knows...I'll probably just live with parking my router on a channel that works though.

• 1 month later...