Help Installing GTX 650 Ti Boost 2GB 10.8.5

ballzdeepftw

39 posts in this topic

No. Kepler cards GTX 640 (*), 650, 660, 670 and 680 (and their Ti variants) do not need GraphicsEnabler=y or any other type of injection or modification done to driver files.

They have been natively supported since 10.8.3 and under normal circumstances work fine out of the box. I believe this goes for the 700 series as well but I haven't looked into it.

Your own 610 is a rebranded GT 520 which is Fermi architecture, not Kepler. (*) There is also a Fermi architecture version of the 640, based on the GT 545.

I know you're trying to help, but be careful when you do. oldnapalm's guide is good but it is outdated by now.

Giving someone the wrong information can cause confusion and more problems than it was meant to solve.

(but you get points for suggesting to boot in verbose mode and posting a screenshot).

Unless he's using an older version of OS X, his issue is probably Chameleon not being able to detect the correct PCI Root, or maybe he needs the npci=0x2000 kernel flag. If he has upgraded from some other video card, maybe there is stuff left over from that, now causing a conflict.

balls: Post more information. As your post is, all it does is raise more questions.

Always include your full specs, system version and install method when asking for help.

• Like 2

Hi,

I first tried the card out of the box switching ge=no, and it didn't work, so I shut down, uninstalled the card, switched back to on board (hd 4000) boots into ml as expected, so I installed the cuda and web drivers, switched it to boot using nvidia drivers, shut down the system, reinstalled the card, powered up the machine, and still stuck at the apple screen. I will boot via -v and take a pic with my phone and post it.

lol, me too.

Try to completely disable the HD4000 in the BIOS and while you're in there make sure that primary video is set to PCI-E or PEG whatever name they use for it.

Also make sure that the card is installed in the correct slot when using a single video card, you can look this up in your motherboard manual.

Normally it's the top PCI-E x16 slot but who knows, maybe there are exceptions to the rule, or maybe you plugged the card in the wrong place.

It should work out of the box. If you had any patches or modifications done to your OS X installation in order to make the HD4000 work, remove them.

Try booting with PciRootUID=1 (or PciRoot=1 - to this day I'm not sure which one is correct, try both, with that exact capitalization). Sometimes Chameleon can't detect this correctly and defaults to zero. Another thing I'm not sure of is whether that flag will actually do anything when not using GraphicsEnabler. It probably won't!

Another thing you can try is npci=0x2000 as I suggested earlier. Feel free to tag on a -v as well so that you can see what's happening.

Tried all of those, and it was a no-go. I swear, I have searched, and searched the web for solutions, and haven't been able to come up with a working one. I'll do a -v screenshot in a few minutes so you guys can hopefully help me figure this out. I'm new to the "hackintosh" field as people call it, but I would like to get it running correctly because the whole reason why I decided to do this is because I didn't want to buy a 4th mac, when I can build someting that will work better for less.. as is the reason why the majority go this route.

Here you go. This is where it stops.

post-1205935-0-67797600-1381467713_thumb.jpg

What outputs are available on that card, have you tried them all, and can you get in when booting with -x ?

-x is safe mode, much like on Windows this disables video drivers and loads in VESA mode.

Again you can add several Chameleon boot flags and kernel flags if you like, GraphicsEnabler=n -x -v.

zip and attach your /Extra/org.chameleon.Boot.plist. Use the full editor to attach files.

I've tried all outputs,  I can only get it to boot with the card in safe mode, and it fully recognizes it. I'd be cool with booting into safe mode everytime, but I lose audio, etc. which I totally understand.

Let me rephrase that. I would be cool booting into safe mode everytime, if audio, and everything else that I needed worked, but it doesn't.

Safe mode is no good, you lose not only audio, but also hardware accelerated graphics. If that doesn't bother you then simply sticking to the HD4000 would be better.

Disable Bluetooth in your BIOS (troubleshooting step, this is temporary)

Boot in safe mode and delete HDAEnabler.kext from /System/Library/Extensions.

Run Terminal.app and enter

sudo -s (and your password)

touch /System/Library/Extensions (this rebuilds the kernel cache, if you skip this step HDAEnabler will simply load from the cache even if you have deleted it)

exit

Try to boot normally with -v and post a screenshot if it halts again.

You are using the wrong model identifier for your hardware (/Extra/smbios.plist). Use iMac13,1.

You still haven't said what your installation method is.

Do you have any kernel extensions in /Extra/Extensions? If yes, which ones?

Again, zip and attach your /Extra/org.chameleon.Boot.plist.

• Like 1

Here is the chameleon settings.

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
    <key>EthernetBuiltIn</key>
    <string>Yes</string>
    <key>GraphicsEnabler</key>
    <string>No</string>
    <key>Kernel</key>
    <string>mach_kernel</string>
    <key>Kernel Flags</key>
    <string>darkwake=0</string>
    <key>Legacy Logo</key>
    <string>Yes</string>
    <key>Timeout</key>
    <string>2</string>
    <key>UseKernelCache</key>
    <string>Yes</string>
        <key>Graphics Mode</key>
        <string>"1920x1080x32"</string>
</dict>
</plist>

I'll try the terminal commands, and report back.

smbios.plist

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
    <key>SMfamily</key>
    <string>Mac Pro</string>
    <key>SMproductname</key>
    <string>MacPro3,1</string>
    <key>SMboardproduct</key>
    <string>Mac-F42C88C8</string>
    <key>SMserial</key>
    <string>G892936C5J4</string>
    <key>SMbiosversion</key>
    <string>[url=&quot;http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/&quot;]#####[/url].tonymacx86.com</string>
</dict>
</plist>

That looks correct, but tonymacx86.com means you've used their tools to install and then all bets are off. I'm sorry, but I can't help you, it's against the rules.

Please go to their forums for further support, they will be able to help you.

I'll add an iMac13,1 smbios.plist for you (once I find it), but you'll have to fill in your own serial number. You can use Chameleon Wizard to generate a valid one.

EDIT

grab it from here

• Like 1

I understand that we can't speak of " the one we are not supposed to speak of" on these forums, and I am cool with going a different direction. The one that must not speak of was the first to come up on Google when I decided to even try to do this, so I went that way. If you would like to suggest other ways to make this system fully work, I'm all ears my friend.

Also, I came here because of the lack of help from that side... if it even exists.

I'm sorry to hear that. Look, it's nothing personal. I would be worthless as a moderator/supervisor if I didn't stick to the rules.

What's more I have no idea what their tools install and where. For all I know, it could be their tools that prevent your video card from working right.

Come back when you have a retail installation of 10.8.5 that didn't involve the use of tools from their site, or keep trying over there. There must be someone who can help you, after all they made the tools you used to install. 

Try the iMac13,1 smbios.plist from the link above. Boot up in safe mode and use Chameleon Wizard to create a proper iMac13,1 serial number, then paste it into the plist (you'll know where when you're looking at it). Do not use Chameleon Wizard for anything else unless you know exactly what you're doing.

Gringo, I do have valid copy of ML, that I purchased from the the app store, and if you would like a receipt for it, I'm sure that I could find it because it was only purchased 5-6 weeks ago. Their software required it to be a valid purchased copy from the app store before their program would create the "magical boot drive"  If you want me to go a different route to get this working, and play by the rules of this forum... just tell me what I have to do, I'll gladly do it. I'm trying to get this to work, that's all I care about.

Boot into it and check if hardware accelerated graphics is working. Basically, if the menu bar is transparent that means it's working.

The bar is solid, so it looks like they aren't working.

Hey if I install it doing this http://insanelymac.com/forum/topic/281192-guide-a-fast-and-easy-way-to-install-mountain-lion/ Do you think that I will be better off? Will I have to do serious modifications to get my system to work correctly?

You can try it but I don't know what's in that archive.

Does your motherboard have ALC889 sound? If not, you might want to edit the scripts provided and remove whatever he's included that patches the OS to work with ALC889.

You said you have an ASRock Extreme 6 motherboard, but there are several different models with that name. What's the full model name?

you stop at bluetooth because its usually last thing to load before windowserver starts, which is not starting because of the graphics problem. did you insert the iMac smbios that gringo linked? are you using a dsdt file with this board?