7970 on Lion?

burkett375

3 posts in this topic

I've had a hackintosh going for a while now, and had great success with a 6870 out of the box.  I just updated my video card to a 7970 and can't get QE/CI to work.  I tried installing the 7950 kexts that came withe the 7950 mac edition and it didn't work.  Any way to get the 7970 to work?  going back to a 6870 isn't an option.

Man, did you upgrade one of the most sensible parts of your computer, the graphics, without doing a compatibility research first? The ATI 7xxx series, as well as nVidia 6xx/7xx, require at least Mountain Lion. In the particular case for the Radeon 7970 cards, 10.8.3 is the minimum OS requirement. There's no workaround for it, and never will be.

Burkett, if I remember correctly, you have an AMD hack, right? You could try Mountain Lion and see if it's usable despite of the graphics glitches caused by the patched kernel, or go back to the 6870, which is not a bad card at all.

I may also add you could, with the money you spent upgrading your GPU, have kept your 6870 and replaced you AMD system by Intel hardware - say a B75M motherboard and a Core i5 3750K - achieving a much more enjoyable OSX user experience.

All the best!

Man, did you upgrade one of the most sensible parts of your computer, the graphics, without doing a compatibility research first? The ATI 7xxx series, as well as nVidia 6xx/7xx, require at least Mountain Lion. In the particular case for the Radeon 7970 cards, 10.8.3 is the minimum OS requirement. There's no workaround for it, and never will be.

Burkett, if I remember correctly, you have an AMD hack, right? You could try Mountain Lion and see if it's usable despite of the graphics glitches caused by the patched kernel, or go back to the 6870, which is not a bad card at all.

I may also add you could, with the money you spent upgrading your GPU, have kept your 6870 and replaced you AMD system by Intel hardware - say a B75M motherboard and a Core i5 3750K - achieving a much more enjoyable OSX user experience.

All the best!

Yeah, I knew it wasn't necessarily compatible, my other uses for the new card outweighed the hackintosh thing. I was just curious if there were any updates to 7xxx on Lion.  I've been looking at a new haswell build anyway, and who knows, maybe we can get mavericks working on AMD! :)

• Like 1