MBP start ok, light goes offf and then stop

notechy

9 posts in this topic

Hi All

My MBP(early 2008) has stopped working. As said above it starts ok after pressing start with led light on. Soon after, the light stops and loading continues for a little time till the spinning wheel stops and that is the end. Have tried safe boot, pram, and also started with the initial os x dvd without any success.

I have taken out the HDD(the replacement hdd) and tested it with my friends MBP and drive is fine.Have now inserted the original HDD and still the same.

Attached is the starting screen.

Is anyone of you able to give me a hint?

Thanks

post-105695-0-00353200-1381346200_thumb.jpg

use your DVD install, boot the DVD and  when open the window to install,  go to Utilities and open Disk Utility repair permissions to your disk and reboot, if no go, use Terminal app to clear caches

use your DVD install, boot the DVD...

When inserting the dvd the spinning wheel goes for a while and then stops. No further....

Does the inserted screen image give a hint to you guys? Could it be the graphics card?

...dummies.com/how-to...

That is not the problem.

It has booted to the screen(a couple of times):

You need to restart your computer.Hold down the power button for several seconds...

It has not managed to get itself any further than that.

can you safeboot?

and the screenshot doesn't actually show any problems...

No, safe boot stops also some way along before the desktop.

One thing I haven't mentioned is how it started.

After a work break I came back and the screen had gone dark(not black) and could still see the screen saver image flickering. I was not able to get any reaction with any keys so I forced a manual shutdown with the power button.

No joy since.....