[SOLVED] 10.9 GM GTX 660 Bad Performance

Streuli273

30 posts in this topic

I installed 10.9 over my fully working 10.8.2 install and everything thing is fine, apart from my graphics perforamnce, which is poor. It boot fine with GraphicsEnabler=no and system profiler said I had a 7mb video card, with no graphics kext being used apparently. With GraphicsEnabler=yes it detected the card but it said 0mb VRAM and I had no acceleration(laggy graphics and opaque top bar). I had the same performance with both GraphicsEnabler options. I have the 10.8 web drivers installed, unless they were deleted in the 10.9 install, but can I use them with a boot flag or by deleting kexts?

Does anyone know a solution to this? The nvidia web drivers cannot be installed on 10.9 but can I use the ones already installed from 10.8 with a boot flag?

Thanks.

use my OpenCL Installer on Mavericks   :D

and set the boot plist at GraphicsEnabler=No 

reboot  B)

Thanks for the answer.

Tried, didn't work, same result as last time, reboot with GraphicsEnabler=Yes and GraphicsEnabler=No, no result. Reinstalled. Same thing happened again. Any other recommendations?

MSI Z77MA G45

i5 3570k

Gigabyte GTX660 2GB

Intel graphics is already disabled in bios. Strange because it worked perfectly in ML.

Thanks.

show me the org.chameleon.boot.plist in extra  :)

• Like 1

show me the org.chameleon.boot.plist in extra  :)

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
<key>Graphics Mode</key>
<string>1600x1200x32</string>
<key>GraphicsEnabler</key>
<string>No</string>
<key>Instant Menu</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>Kernel Flags</key>
<string></string>
<key>ShowInfo</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>Theme</key>
<string>default</string>
<key>UseKernelCache</key>
<string>Yes</string>
</dict>
</plist>

Hi guys, same situation here;

GA-Z87N with i5 4670 + GeForce GTX 650 Ti via DVI cable, with ML no problem but wit Mav. i have some glitches, many in Preferences/Mouse->(mouse animation)

Greetings from Italy

PS: OCB

<key>EthernetBuiltIn</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>GenerateCStates</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>GeneratePStates</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>Graphics Mode</key>
<string>"2560x1440x32"</string>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>SkipNvidiaGfx</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>IntelAzulFB</key>
<string>10</string>
<key>Kernel</key>
<string>mach_kernel</string>
<key>Legacy Logo</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>SMBIOS</key>
<string>/Extra/smbios.plist</string>
<key>SystemType</key>
<string>1</string>
<key>Timeout</key>
<string>1</string>
<key>UseKernelCache</key>
<string>Yes</string>
  • Like 1

Solved!

Downloaded these kexts: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/292483-fixed-nvidia-9400gt-1024mb-on-109-gm/?p=1953198 and install them with kext wizard, I rebooted with -F -f -v and GraphicsEnabler=No, to check if it worked, it did! I then got rid of all my kernel flags in org.chameleon.boot.plist and added:

<string>No</string>

to org.chameleon.boot.plist and it now fully works!

• Like 1

Is this problem really solved? i've full acceleration, even new games works correctly but if i try to watch a flash video, on youtube for example, i get distorted images and heavy slow downs or hangs until i force close the browser...

everything with the latest version of flash from official adobe website.

Are you experiencing these issues?

Is this problem really solved? i've full acceleration, even new games works correctly but if i try to watch a flash video, on youtube for example, i get distorted images and heavy slow downs or hangs until i force close the browser...

everything with the latest version of flash from official adobe website.

Are you experiencing these issues?

I'm getting this in Safari, but Chrome is OK.  GTX 650 Ti Boost here.  

• 3 weeks later...

use my OpenCL Installer on Mavericks   :D

and set the boot plist at GraphicsEnabler=No 

reboot  B)

Hi folks... 

I'm pretty new here, and I've tried to find your OpenCL Installer, but couldn't find... :( Could you please give me a link for that? :)

Greetings from Switzerland,

Stephan

Are you running 10.9 from the App Store? Please describe the problem you are hoping to solve with this OpenCL Installer.

Make sure your on-die GPU is disabled in the BIOS and that you have set GraphicsEnabler=n in /Extra/org.chameleon.Boot.plist.

OpenCL works fine in 10.9 on my GTX 660. No modifications done to video drivers or OpenCL.

The only issue I'm having is, as others have reported, that the GTX 660 does not throttle when idle.

EDIT

It seems now that that's because it never actually is idle. I'm starting to think that this might be by design, Mavericks seems to lean more on the GPU than earlier versions of OS X.

This could also explain why graphics benchmarks scores are generally lower with Mavericks - the GPU is busy doing other things while the benchmark is running.

It would be nice if someone with an iMac (or older Mac Pro) with Kepler GPU could verify this.

• Like 1