Asus S400CA audio and camera problem in ML 10.8.5

lvg

12 posts in this topic

I have ASUS S400CA ultra book dual booting windows 8 and ML10.8.5. I have latest voodoohda.kext 2.8.4. But I don't hear any sound.

Further system report shows existence of camera(Asus usb2.0 webcam) and also when I start FaceTime, light ear webcam glows. But no video. I am very new to mac.

How to get video and sound?

I'm pretty sure your audio is alc269, which does not switch from headphones to speakers automatically, so make sure you manually switch it to the right one. My x202e works just fine with it aside from that issue, so I would imagine yours would as well. Also make sure you don't have ncpi=0x2000 or 0x3000 in your boot flags, that will likely prevent it from working in due to PCI changes starting in 10.8.5. That boot could also be the problem with your webcam. So far I don't think anyone has been able to get the webcam working properly on that notebook, but the fact that it's recognized is a good sign. Are your USB ports working properly otherwise?

• Like 1

I'm pretty sure your audio is alc269, which does not switch from headphones to speakers automatically, so make sure you manually switch it to the right one. My x202e works just fine with it aside from that issue, so I would imagine yours would as well. Also make sure you don't have ncpi=0x2000 or 0x3000 in your boot flags, that will likely prevent it from working in due to PCI changes starting in 10.8.5. That boot could also be the problem with your webcam. So far I don't think anyone has been able to get the webcam working properly on that notebook, but the fact that it's recognized is a good sign. Are your USB ports working properly otherwise?

Thanks.Ā 

What is alc269?

I found in windows as VIA high definition audio.

How to switch from headphones to speakers Ā or viceversa?

How to remove boot flag ncpi=0x2000 etc? I am using cloverEFI boot for dual booting windows and mac.

Webcam was working to take image for my account while installing and also in FaceTime with 10.8.3 just before updating to 10.8.5, but never in image capture app. USB sticks both usb2 and 3 are working.

Switch from headphones to speakers in system preferences under sound... Ncpi=0x2000 would be in Clover's config.plist which is in your efi/clover folder on your efi partition. Does your webcam work in photo booth, Skype or any other app besides facetime?

• Like 1

Switch from headphones to speakers in system preferences under sound... Ncpi=0x2000 would be in Clover's config.plist which is in your efi/clover folder on your efi partition. Does your webcam work in photo booth, Skype or any other app besides facetime?

I only have speakers. I already searched and removed ncpi=0x2000. Still no sound in speakers. No where i could connect alc to sound. I only see either intel hda or via hda Ā in windows device manager. How to connect to which alc?

Camera is seem to be activated in Photo Booth and FaceTime as flash light glows. But in Photo Booth take photo is greyed out and camera menu shows asus usb 2.0 webcam. Image capture does not show any camera.

The audio codec is different than the actual device itself, so Windows won't tell you the actual codec in device manager. I said i was pretty sure it's alc269 because that's what the s200 and x202e are. You can find the codec if you boot into a linux distro and type this into the terminal:Ā 
sudo cat /proc/asound/card0/codec#0 >> codecdump.txt
Note: The 0 might have to be replaced by 1 or 2 

I found that here:Ā http://www.osx86.in/2012/08/patch-apple-hda-for-audio-in-hackintosh.html

I think there is a way to do it in windows but I don't remember how. Obviously just knowing what the codec is won't fix the problem, but it should at least be a start. As far as the webcam... You might have to roll back some kexts, which is not ideal, especially if you are planning on upgrading to Mavericks.

Unfortunately this is the extent of what I know regarding your problem. I will keep checking this thread but hopefully someone else can be more helpful.

• Like 1

Ā 

The audio codec is different than the actual device itself, so Windows won't tell you the actual codec in device manager. I said i was pretty sure it's alc269 because that's what the s200 and x202e are. You can find the codec if you boot into a linux distro and type this into the terminal:Ā 
sudo cat /proc/asound/card0/codec#0 >> codecdump.txt
Note: The 0 might have to be replaced by 1 or 2 

I found that here:Ā http://www.osx86.in/2012/08/patch-apple-hda-for-audio-in-hackintosh.html

I think there is a way to do it in windows but I don't remember how. Obviously just knowing what the codec is won't fix the problem, but it should at least be a start. As far as the webcam... You might have to roll back some kexts, which is not ideal, especially if you are planning on upgrading to Mavericks.

Unfortunately this is the extent of what I know regarding your problem. I will keep checking this thread but hopefully someone else can be more helpful.

Ā 

Thanks for your time. I am learning slowly as I am new to mac, though I have worked in linux and windows.

I did as you said and also as said in the link.

Ā 

Codec: VIA VT1802
Address: 0
AFG Function Id: 0x1 (unsol 0)
Vendor Id: 0x11068446
Subsystem Id: 0x104310fd
this matches with DPCIManager found in osx which says

audio device 0x80861E20 Subdevice 0x104310FD codecid0x11068446

codec name VIA(unknown)

Now I have to know how this info can be used to make audio work.

I haven't been able to get applehda working, only voodoo. I did a lot of research about patching applehda but I couldn't wrap my head around it and kept running into roadblocks. I can use the volume keys, but f keys aren't working. If I change the settings for the elan touchpad kext I can get f keys working but then volume keys etc don't work.

I could get the camera working using acer webcam solution.dmg. After installing, start facetime or photobooth and select the webcam configured in the above program. Only touch Screen I could not get it work. I tried one solution said in the guide some other forum. But that software was not working. Error report sent to the developer says, it has problems with FakeMSC kext. Any solution is welcome.

The instructions in the guide for the s200/x202e for the touchscreen probably won't work since I think yours is a different model. I don't think it actually has anything to do with FakeSMC. I'm not sure how to find out what model it is but I think either lspci -nn or lsusb -nn in Linux would be able to tell you. I think we need a guide here on InsanelyMac, the people here have much experience with this stuff (although RehabMan was very helpful to me with my DSDT). I don't really want to do it without Harry's permission though and he doesn't accept PM's for some reason.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I haven't been able to get applehda working, only voodoo. I did a lot of research about patching applehda but I couldn't wrap my head around it and kept running into roadblocks. I can use the volume keys, but f keys aren't working. If I change the settings for the elan touchpad kext I can get f keys working but then volume keys etc don't work.

Could you upload your PS2 kext to me? As I couldn't get my friend's X202e work with two finger scrolling, I'd like to tried your PS2 kext settings.

Regarding about FN keys, try to add "Name (OSDW, 0x80)" or "Name (OSDW, 0x100)" in your DSDT:
        OperationRegion (DBGM, SystemMemory, 0x000D0000, 0x04)
        Field (DBGM, DWordAcc, NoLock, Preserve)
        {
            DBGG,   32
        }

Name (OSFG, Zero)
        Name (OS9X, One)
        Name (OS98, 0x02)
        Name (OSME, 0x04)
        Name (OS2K, 0x08)
        Name (OSXP, 0x10)
        Name (OSEG, 0x20)
        Name (OSVT, 0x40)
        Name (OSW7, 0x80)
        Name (OSW8, 0x0100)
        Name (OSDW, 0x80)

I don't have the machine with me, so I can't test if it works. Hope it helps!