678 replies to this topic

Scimiazzurro

Scimiazzurro

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 155 posts

Hi,

I have a Gigabyte GC-WB867D-I card in my PC which simply is a Half Mini PCI-e to PCIe adapter (that adapts a combined Wifi+BT Intel card, the typical card we could find in notebooks).

Anyway, I'm now thinking to replace the Intel WiFi+BT card in the Gigabyte adapter with one compatible with OSX (possibly Sierra), can you advice me on which WiFi+BT card is better, and possibly works Out of the box? (and if it could support Handoff)

toleda

toleda

InsanelyMac Deity

• Gurus
  • 1,953 posts

thinking to replace the Intel WiFi+BT card in the Gigabyte adapter with one compatible with OSX

See Post #1: 4360 native (with apple vendor-id), 4352 requires patching.

Scimiazzurro

Scimiazzurro

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 155 posts

Another thing, I found this Mini PCIe to PCIe adapter, but it doesn't have any USB connection, is it really necessary to make Bluetooth working?

http://www.ebay.it/i...-/262713694656?

toleda

toleda

InsanelyMac Deity

• Gurus
  • 1,953 posts

is it really necessary to make Bluetooth working?

Mandatory. 

Scimiazzurro

Scimiazzurro

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 155 posts

Mandatory.

What could happen if I insert an Airport in that PCIe adapter?

Another thing, this Airport from a MacBook Air could work natively with an adapter?
http://www.iphonehos...466-bcm94360cs2

toleda

toleda

InsanelyMac Deity

• Gurus
  • 1,953 posts

What could happen if I insert an Airport in that PCIe adapter?

Another thing, this Airport from a MacBook Air could work natively with an adapter?

Wifi would work if supported and enabled. BT would not show.

Adapter must support USB.  Mini PCIe connectors support USB, PCIe connectors do not.

llamafilm

llamafilm

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 179 posts
On github, RehabMan says that BrcmFirmwareRepo is preferred over BrcmFirmwareData. Is that still true, and how much of a difference does it make? I just like having a clean /S/L/E. So far, I haven't noticed any problems with BrcmFirmwareData in my EFI folder.

RehabMan

RehabMan

InsanelyMacaholic

• Developers
  • 2,974 posts
  • Interests:skiing, software, classic cars

On github, RehabMan says that BrcmFirmwareRepo is preferred over BrcmFirmwareData. Is that still true, and how much of a difference does it make? I just like having a clean /S/L/E. So far, I haven't noticed any problems with BrcmFirmwareData in my EFI folder.

As per github README, BrcmFirmwareRepo is preferred as it is much more memory efficient.

With BrcmFirmwareData.kext, all firmwares for all devices are loaded into memory.
With BrcmFirmwareRepo.kext, only the firmware required for the devices present in the computer (usually only one) are loaded into memory.

llamafilm

llamafilm

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 179 posts

Ah I see.  So all the firmwares together are how big, maybe 5MB?  If you have many GB of RAM, then I guess it doesn't matter much.  Does it have any effect on boot time?

RehabMan

RehabMan

InsanelyMacaholic

• Developers
  • 2,974 posts
  • Interests:skiing, software, classic cars

Ah I see.  So all the firmwares together are how big, maybe 5MB?  If you have many GB of RAM, then I guess it doesn't matter much.  Does it have any effect on boot time?

Single firmware: 6 KB to 43 KB, avg ~30 KB.
All firmwares: 2.6 MB.

BrcmFirmwareData.kext uses more memory than BrcmFirmwareRepo.kext by a factor of ~88.

Whether that is important to you, is personal choice, and probably depends on your perspective.

Scimiazzurro

Scimiazzurro

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 155 posts

Hi, I bought a Broadcom BCM94331C, is there any driver working for Windows 10? I found only working driver for Bluetooth, but not for the Wifi part.

Scimiazzurro

Scimiazzurro

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 155 posts

I have a problem: now I have installed OSX Sierra in my PC, but the Wifi part of the card already seems not to work: the Bluetooth part works out of the box, but OSX doesn't view any Wifi card, it's possible?

Did I need any kext? My card is BCM94331C

toleda

toleda

InsanelyMac Deity

• Gurus
  • 1,953 posts

is there any driver working for Windows 10? I found only working driver for Bluetooth, but not for the Wifi part.

This thread supports maxOS only

Did I need any kext? My card is BCM94331C

Depends on the device-id, see Post #1

filequit

filequit

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Hi - 

I have a DW1830 (which is a broadcom 4360) m.2 wifi card in my Dell xps 9350 and it appears when I try to connect to 80mhz-wide 5ghz networks in 10.12, i only get 30-40mbit downstream, with normal upstream speeds. If I set my router to 40mhz wide channels, i get around 250mbit download throughput. Other users are also experiencing the same symptoms, on syscl's 9350 github issues page (https://github.com/syscl/XPS9350-macOS)  . Ive included a zip of all the files requested for problem reporting. Appreciate any assistance you may be able to provide. 

Attached Files

toleda

toleda

InsanelyMac Deity

• Gurus
  • 1,953 posts

included a zip of all the files requested

IOReg?

filequit

filequit

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Whoops, added that :) 

Attached Files

toleda

toleda

InsanelyMac Deity

• Gurus
  • 1,953 posts

added

Configured correctly
Signal is too low, verify antennas.

For more details, hold the Option key down and select WiFI in the menu bar.

Reply with signal, noise, channel, tx channel, phy mode, etc.

filequit

filequit

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Configured correctly
Signal is too low, verify antennas.

For more details, hold the Option key down and select WiFI in the menu bar.

Report signal, noise, channel, tx channel, phy mode, etc.

I have a feeling it's because this card has 3 antenna leads but my laptop only has 2 antennas available on it. Windows seems to handle it just fine with 2 antennas but OS X must be depending on all 3. 

toleda

toleda

InsanelyMac Deity

• Gurus
  • 1,953 posts

Windows seems to handle it just fine with 2 antennas but OS X must be depending on all 3. 

macOS uses the 2 available antennas, result is two thirds of max date rate.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2016 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy