Vostro 1700/Inspiron 1720 Mavericks GM issues

xangel9626

40 posts in this topic

Can you boot now to ML 10.8.4?  From there, I would remove the HDA enabler module from /Extra/Modules of the Mavericks partition and try again ie work backwards step by step to the last known configuration that booted OK.

The most logical explanation is that something is preventing chameleon bootloader from "seeing" the second disk.  Maybe even reinstall chameleon cleanly without the new module.....

Edit:  How did you install chameleon ver Ver2269?  Did you do it through chameleon wizard or through the package installer...chameleon wizard method only replaces the boot file on the current HD (maintaining everything else) whereas the package installer may have changed other boot settings (boot0, boot1h &/or the active OSX partition)...check the Chameleon_Installer_Log.txt on the root of the drive

Can the BIOS see both HD? How is the BIOS boot priority?  Does ML disk boot first or does Mavericks disk get priority?

If you use FileNVRAM module in chameleon, it remembers your boot arguments.  Maybe chameleon is remembering your boot settings for ML from its /Extra folder and applying it to Mavericks?  Use the following command in terminal to reset them sudo nvram -d boot-args (refer to this post) and delete any nvram.plist files in /Extra.  For good measure, delete all kext caches.

If extra drives are present when installing the OS, this can sometimes have unexpected effects.  In your case running 2 drives where one is not being recognised, you might require AHCIPortInjector.kext &/or ATAPortInjector.kext in S/L/E (much as I advise against using too many kexts, it seems to have worked for you in ML).

If your ML disk is booting, you can create an 8GB installer partition on it (instead of to an install USB).  Copy mach kernel, /Extra (with patched DSDT) to it+add FakeSMC.kext+VoodooPS2Controller.kext to S/L/E, boot to the installer partition and see if Disk Utility sees your Mavericks disk.  If it can see the disk, you should be good to continue the install from there.

Already tried that, now it's booting to IntelCPUMonitor: CPU Tjmax 100 and not moving.  At this point, I think it's probably best that I start over with a new install so I can log what I have been doing.  I have so much stuff going on, I might be forgetting something that I changed.

Did a fresh install.  I installed FakeSMC, AppleRTC, and ACPIBatteryManager from DarwinX; AppleBCM440XEthernet; AppleAPCIPS2Nub and ApplePS2Controller from IndianDragon; VoodooHDA with DSDT Edit 3 stripped HDEF; SMBios 4.1 (5.1 had wrong CPU speed); Chameleon r2269 (updated with wizard)

Currently working:

Trackpad with 2 finger scrolling and Tapping

Bluetooth

Graphics with QE/CI

Audio

Batter Icon

iCloud

iMessage

Reboot

Computer seems a little slow still, hardware monitor is not working and I'm trying to find an alternate one.  Will let you know if I find anything else wrong with it.

I'll also do a full write up for anyone who needs it.

Hooray!  Got there in the end :).  Don't forget to make a timemachine backup or clone so you can do fine-tuning.

The HWMonitor in DarwinX's kext bundle is an old one incompatible with Mavericks.  Istat menus is a very good (paid) app for system monitoring.  The latest HWMonitor.app from Kozlek also works well in Mavericks.  Both will give incorrect CPU frequencies due to incompatibility with Slice's FakeSMC v3.3.1 so a workaround for CPU freq is SMC Monitor.

NB Using Kozlek's FakeSMC will give correct CPU freq but you lose LPC plugin support for fan speed and motherboard temps that is in v3.3.1.

You might also experiment with MBP 6.1, Macbook 5.1 or 6.1 SMBIOS for different CPU speed stepping.

There is also an optional procedure for patching AppleGraphicsPowerManagement.kext for better graphics performance.

You're very welcome :) - its a joint learning exercise.

For sleep, don't forget to change hibernate mode to "suspend to RAM only" ie open terminal and type

sudo pmset -a hibernatemode 0

On the XPSm1530 regression of AppleACPIPlatform.kext was also necessary to prevent rebooting on second sleep -ymmv.

Look forward to your writeup.

Will changing to suspend to ram only fix lid sleep and regular sleep?

I am going to need a clue as to what patches you applied to the DSDT so I can throw it in my write-up.

EDIT

With both SMBios 4.1 and 5.1, my CPU is not exceeding 540mhz.

The sudo pmset -a hibernatemode 0 & regressed AppleACPIPlatform.kext makes sleep work both by closing the lid and through the apple menu on my machine.  Without the regression, it would sleep and wake once successfully but instant reboot on invoking sleep a second time.

Edit:  Sleep problems are notoriously difficult to diagnose and fix.  If the above and patched AppleRTC.kext doesn't work, you can

The DSDT patches applied were basically the recommended/compulsory patches mentioned in immo's first DSDT post

ie

• DTGP Method
  • HPET
  • IRQs to fix USB Devices Randomly Not Working
  • USB patch to fix sleep
  • PCI Patch
  • RTC Patch
  • SMBUS patch
  • IDE fix (optional but added)
  • Clamshell fix (optional but added)
  • Shutdown fix for XPSm1530 (optional but added)*
  • USB Drive Sleep Fix for XPSm1530 (optional but added)*
  • Removed AZAL/HDEF section

*Works for XPSm1530.  Immo reports not working for XPSm1330.  May or may not work on your machine.

Any ideas on why my processor isn't going past 540mhz?

FYI, Shutdown doesn't work.

Not sure with your machine CPU speed stepping.  Do you have set P & C states in your org.chameleon.boot.plist?

With SMC Monitor, I observe my CPU frequency stepping up & down nicely.

If this doesn't work, you might have to extract your CPU's SSDT tables, put SSDT.aml in Extra folder, enable the option DropSSDT, disable GeneratePStates and GenerateCStates (read immo's first post specifically

Step One: Dumping the ACPI Tables, Step Two: Decompiling and Assembling the Tables using a linux live CD/DVD and this post).

Edit:  I noticed IndianDragon has a T7250 in his Inspiron 1520 and he included his DSDT & SSDTs in this post.  Maybe give his SSDTs a go in your /Extra.

You can also extract your SSDT in windows using RWEverything.

Edit2: Interesting article over @OSX Latitude Performance tuning with FakeSMC & SMBIOS plist suggests if you have intel IDA enabled in BIOS for your CPU, it lowers freq 10%.

"Using same MBP5,1 settings, similar results were observed on D830 nVidia 135M with T7250/T7500 CPUs under ML 10.8.3. Compared to the D630, the differences were lower GPU memory frequencies (whilst GPU core clockings were identical) and no IDA support with that CPU family (re-enabling IDA caused FSB to drop from 200 to 182MHz, thereby lowering all CPU clockings by approximately 10%)"

Also Rhyker in this post says his CPU T7250 runs @1.8GHz under OSX 10.9.  I also noticed from this post that you had the same max CPU freq problem in ML.

As I mentioned to you in the inspiron 1520 thread, shutdown can be a very tricky business and it is the luck of the draw most of the time.  The XPSm1530 works but apparently it does "NOT work for some models with NVIDIA Video like M1330 and Vostro 1500 and inspiron 1420, 1520, 1720 and a few others" -LatinMcG.

I do have C & P states in boot.plist.  SMC monitor shows my CPU always on 540mhz.  I changed the SMBios to 5.1 and started SMC monitor and it is showing my CPU speeds changing now.  It wasn't working before.  The only issue with 5.1 is my CPU max is only 1.81Ghz, I have a 2Ghz processor.  What can fix that?

I'm going to try SMBios 6.1 and see what that does, I'll add an edit in this post.  EDIT: MacBook Pro 6.1 is showing as an i5/i7 system in Chameleon Wizard, the computer froze while loading the desktop.

I can live without shutdown, I've done without it this long.  As long as sleep and restart work, I'm good.

I turned off IDA and my CPU maxes out at 1990mhz.  I wonder why I haven't caught that before....

With Sleep, I did the "Suspend to RAM" and changed the AppleACPIPlatform.  When I closed the lid last night and opened my computer this morning, it restarted. 

Regular sleep works, but when the computer wakes, my USB Bluetooth stops working.

EDIT - Added darkwake=0 and now lid sleep works.