[Guide] Upgrading to Mavericks on GA-EP35-DS3L

ostiw

24 posts in this topic

So, today, Mavericks (GM) came out, so we'll be upgrading from 10.8.3 to 10.9

It is pretty similar to upgrading from Lion to Mountain Lion. 

Need:

1. USB Drive
  2. Mavericks
  3. MyHack (myHack 3.2 BETA 8)
  4. Chameleon (2.1 r2069)

Step 1:

Install Chameleon.* A couple options are set by default, so, make sure you do a  'Custom' installation and uncheck anything that says 'Lion Only', and uncheck GraphicsEnabler=Yes

*Backup your current Chameleon installation: i.e. in your root directory '/', the file 'boot' and folder 'Extra'

Step 2:

Create a bootable USB drive with MyHack. 

• Open MyHack
  • Choose 'Create OS X Installer', then 'Create OS X 10.9 Install Disk' 

Step 3:

• Restart your computer and boot the USB drive. It will launch the 10.9 Installer
  • Chose your current Mountain Lion installation when it asks you where you wish to install. (it'll say something about your current installation being recoverable)
  •  Reboot

You've now installed Mavericks

hm, sorry to hear that.

Is it GUID & Mac OS Extended (Journaled)?

If so, that is correct and I haven't a clue why myhack would be hiding the create installer option. i did a quick google for the symptom and found nothing

• 2 weeks later...

I'm on 10.8.5 just downloaded 10.9 through the App Store. 

Im trying to upgrade, like you've suggested but my hack get this error: 

System/System/Library/CoreServices/SystemVersion, ProductVersion) does not exist ERROR: Selection does not appear to be a valid OS X installation source.
Exiting.

I'm on 10.8.5 just downloaded 10.9 through the App Store. 

Im trying to upgrade, like you've suggested but my hack get this error: 

System/System/Library/CoreServices/SystemVersion, ProductVersion) does not exist ERROR: Selection does not appear to be a valid OS X installation source.

Exiting.

Sorry about that, but, I can't offer any help.

Thank You for the guide,

could you please tell me which kext you used to run mavericks?

Hope this helps.

*Performance tuning with FakeSMC & SMBIOS plist

ostiw Thanks for your respond. The problem was that I didn't format the USB drive properly (Extended Journal)

Now I've got the installation on the USB drive but when trying to boot from it its going directly to osx 10.8.5 and nothing happening. Is that normal or am I missing something?

Thanks.

@papi1106 try with: GraphicsEnabler=No -v -x -f

--------------

Archive of my setup:

Mobo: GA-EP35-DS3L

CPU: Q6600

GPU: HD6450

smbios.plist

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
	<key>SMfamily</key>
	<string>Mac Pro</string>
	<key>SMproductname</key>
	<string>MacPro3,1</string>
	<key>SMboardproduct</key>
	<string>Mac-F42C88C8</string>
	<key>SMserial</key>
	<string>REDACTED</string>
	<key>SMbiosversion</key>
	<string>1304978</string>
</dict>
</plist>

com.org.chameleon.boot.plist

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
	<key>EthernetBuiltIn</key>
	<string>Yes</string>
	<key>GenerateCStates</key>
	<string>Yes</string>
	<key>GeneratePStates</key>
	<string>Yes</string>
	<key>Kernel</key>
	<string>mach_kernel</string>
	<key>Kernel Flags</key>
	<string>-v</string>
	<key>Legacy Logo</key>
	<string>Yes</string>
	<key>ShowInfo</key>
	<string>Yes</string>
	<key>Timeout</key>
	<string>2</string>
	<key>UseKernelCache</key>
	<string>Yes</string>
</dict>
</plist>

Attatched is a zip file with all the kexts i use

GA-EP35-DS3L Mavericks.zip

Thanks to this guide i made an clean install (no upgrade) install of os x mavericks on my socket 1155 intel core i5 the 1st try and everything is working fine.

1 Download os x mavericks from mac app store.

2 Create a myhack usb installer

3 Reboot the computer and boot your usb and install as usual and in disk utility just eras your hard drive and install os x mavericks

4 When the install is ready just reboot and make sure your usb is in the computer and boot from it but just choose yor hard drive and you are on os x mavericks

5 Then i just installed one kext for the lan and chimera 2.2.1 boot loader. Thats it. Now your computer boots by itself and working lika a real mac always do.

Is there any experience with the GA-EP35-DS4?

I've made a clean install on a test drive. Have no sound or ethernet there so far. Any ideas or suggestions would be appreciated. ;)

Yes, there is!

Now, I found out that you need the IONetworkingFamily.kext from your previous 10.6/10.7/10.8 installation for working ethernet - install it with tools like kext utility, restart - done.

For audio, just run multi...you know tool I'm talking about (any version) and select in the drivers section the ALC889/885 without DSTL. Repair system preferences and reboot - boom, there you go. Just forget AppleHDA.

Last thing is graphics. By default, Mavericks will let me boot in 1024x768. Looks kinda weird on a 24" so I changed the resolution in my org.chameleon.Boot.plist in /Extra to 1920x1080.

My graphics card (AMD Sapphire HD6850 1GB) is regocnized by the system out of stock, I've added a DSTL from my previous 10.8.5 installation - but I have no possibility to change to another resolution via system preferences-->monitors. There appears nothing - nada...rien...just nothing. :(  --> holding down the option key while clicking on "scaled" reveals three possible resolutions...better than nothing. 

• Like 1

I've made a clean install on a test drive. Have no sound or ethernet there so far. Any ideas or suggestions would be appreciated. ;)

Yes, there is!

Now, I found out that you need the IONetworkingFamily.kext from your previous 10.6/10.7/10.8 installation for working ethernet - install it with tools like kext utility, restart - done.

For audio, just run multi...you know tool I'm talking about (any version) and select in the drivers section the ALC889/885 without DSTL. Repair system preferences and reboot - boom, there you go. Just forget AppleHDA.

Last thing is graphics. By default, Mavericks will let me boot in 1024x768. Looks kinda weird on a 24" so I changed the resolution in my org.chameleon.Boot.plist in /Extra to 1920x1080.

My graphics card (AMD Sapphire HD6850 1GB) is regocnized by the system out of stock, I've added a DSTL from my previous 10.8.5 installation - but I have no possibility to change to another resolution via system preferences-->monitors. There appears nothing - nada...rien...just nothing. :(  --> holding down the option key while clicking on "scaled" reveals three possible resolutions...better than nothing. 

Thank you man!

I'll try soon :)

• 1 month later...

10.9.1 is out...anyone tried the update yet?

Update to 10.9.1 worked smoothly. I just did a copy of my drive with Carbon Copy Cloner for safety reasons. However, I did the Update from the App Store, restarted the system and there was 10.9.1

No trouble at all...everything works like before. :)

• 4 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Yes, there is!

I've managed to install Yosemite on mine and everything works except for Audio.  I'm using clover with mine and I can't seem to find the proper kexts for my audio. I've found a couple but they always seem to give me kernel panic and cause me not to be able to boot.