macbook, macbook pro, or mac pro

7 posts in this topic

i am a computer science major and am currently just beginning to learn how to write in java an what not. as i proceed through my major i will begin to work more with graphics and harder programs to write. i really need to upgrade to a mac and was wondering if a laptop would be a good idea that way i can take it with me from my apartment to the library or where ever i want to go and be able to have my work with me. if this is a good option will the macbook be good enough for my major or should i get the mbp. on the other hand would i be better off having a mac pro and a more powerful machine. thoughts on this topic would be awesome

the macbook's screen is great - this mass hysteria about the so-called 'reflective' screen is so overblown its unreal.

fyi, i've owned a powerbook g4 (matte screen) and now a macbook, and i can tell you, the macbook is the only one which i could use outside, thanks to the glossy screen. personally i much prefer it, but ho hum whatever.

• 2 weeks later...

You don't play games and/or want something small and portable?

Macbook.

You want to play games and still have something portable?

Macbook pro.

You are an übergamer with to much cash to spend or work with graphics/whatever:

Get the Mac Pro.

I don't see why a regular person which isn't an übergamer would go for the Mac Pro thought.

If you don't wanna play the latest and greatest games the Macbook will do just fine.

Get the new MacBook Pro with the core 2 duos-you won't need a Mac Pro.

Make sure it's got the nice glossy screen or you're wasting your money though-the other screens look God-Awful. I've been on a MacBook for months and every time I look at those other screens I have to prevent my gag reflex.

Who made those awful things?

But a MacBook pro with 2 GB RAM should do you fine. n.n