frankiee

frankiee

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 203 posts
  • Interests:Everything

So, what's the current situation with PCI based SSD storage and Hackintoshes:

Will it work as a boot drive for OS X? Can I use such a drive also for dualbooting windows?

Just looking at the Revo Drive X3 and think it would be really really nice to have such a beast working in my upcoming Hackintosh ;)

cdoublejj

cdoublejj

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 82 posts

in THEORY, as long as hackintosh has the kexts for the disk drive controller on board the PCIe SSD it should be usable.

Rampage Dev

Rampage Dev

InsanelyMac Deity

• Local Moderators
  • 1,958 posts

Waste of a PCIe Slot. Your better off buying a Rocket Raid SAS card (8 SATA III ports with breakout cables) and doing a Real RAID setup with SSD's while adding more SATA ports to your system at the same time. 

frankiee

frankiee

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 203 posts
  • Interests:Everything

Hey Rampagedev,

I already decided to go without RAID on the SSDs, also saw reviews where the advantage of a RAID SSD setup is really huuuge in synthetical benchmarks, but not so huge in real life performance. But still got some remaining question about storage, though, see also my other post: http://www.insanelym...-3#entry1956039

Rampage Dev

Rampage Dev

InsanelyMac Deity

• Local Moderators
  • 1,958 posts

A PCIe flash SSD is just a hardwired RAID SSD. Thats all they really are. From my real world tests a RAID of 2 SSD's is great after that you get little gains due to poor Application programing (other then some apps like ones from BlackMagic for example).

If you do go the PCIe SSD get the one from OWC. Works great under mac and a lot more stable then the POS that the Revo drive is. 

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: SSD, PCI

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy