10.4.8 SSE2 boots to desktop

quixos

62 posts in this topic

so are the procedures the same as (JAS 10.4.7) for installing the update install the update then do a repair permissions then reboot?. I read through everyones posts lol noby seems to talk about that lol. Also is there a noticeable SEE2 improvement vs 10.4.7?. for now my issue is the resolution booting blabla list goes on but for now im curious about the update. Cheers

This update just F7*6^&%ed up my entire setup which was flawless prior to install.Dont waste your time.

which update are you refering to? JaS 10.4.8 or Kiko 10.4.8 Update? If it F$%#%^&ed up your computer, there was a very large warning that we put out that said -->

good morning. thanks JaS.

do not install the 10.4.8 SSE2 update unless you are ready and willing to help find solutions!

do not install the 10.4.8 SSE2 update unless you can easily restore your computer to a happily working condition!

hope that's clear enough.

Guys please read the actual thread before posting and/or trying the updates. It will save you a HUGE headache.

good luck

ohh and SleeplessMedia have you tried booting into safe boot ? i.e. when mac is booting hold down f8 until you are prompted. then use a -x -v (enter) to boot into safe boot. try that .. hope it works.

Ok but remember guys,this package was ment to get you installed and into the desktop.I cant say if everything will be working or not.I have an Idea tho that might fix safari and some other issues,try downgrading your quicktime to an older version.

As with several others who update to your Intel only SSE2 update, I am also not getting Safari to run. How does one downgrade quicktime to an older version on osx86? Thanks.

OK, tried updating my 10.4.7 to 10.4.8 (original install was GoatSecx 10.4.6 DVD, then JAS 10-.4.7 SSE2 update, then JAS 10.4.8 SSE2 update).

Have a Dell Inspiron 9300 - Pentium M 2.13 GHz i.e. SSE2 only. Have an NVidia 6800 graphics card and Intel 945 chipset (I think).

Using MacVidia 10.4.8 @ 1920x1200

Issues:

- lots of R2D2 messages during startup/shutdown (already reported in this thread)

- Restart takes a while (already reported)

- Double Clicking doesn't work in Finder when in List view (i.e. middle icon of the 3 view icons - not sure what it's called) - when I double click, it takes me into "file name editing" mode

- iTunes 7 doesn't work - comes up with "not enough free memory" (already reported)

- No processor info in About Computer (already reported)

- Mouse settings not being remembered in preferences (and double click speed always at leftmost setting - unable to change it)

Had the problem about the blue screen at startup on my first install of 10.4.8 - then rebuilt computer and applied 10.4.7 and 10.4.8 again, and it went away... strange...

So the double-clicking thing is the only new thing - anyone else had this?

Hello. I have updated to 10.4.8 using JaS's AMD SS2 Combo Update from the JaS 10.4.7 full DVD. However, I am now unable to access the internet either through Firefox or Safari. I have an AMD Athlon 64 Processor on a nForce 4 Ultra - based board. The network device is a Gigabit ethernet. It used to work previously to the update, but now it does not. Could this be a driver problem or what, any ideas?

• 2 weeks later...

After the JaS 10.4.8 Update my installer stopped working - Here is the error I get. PLEASE HELP. I tried copying both JavaScriptGlue and Webkit frameworks over from another AMD SSE2 installation (unpatched) with no luck.

teds-computer:~ Ted$ sudo installer -pkg /Users/Ted/Desktop/SiI3132_1.1.6u_Sil_Pkg.pkg/ -target "/"

Password:

installer: Package name is SiI3132 Mac OS X Driver

dyld: lazy symbol binding failed: Symbol not found: __ZN3KJS9ObjectImpC1Eb

Referenced from: /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/JavaScriptGlue.framework/Versions/A/JavaScriptGlue

Expected in: /System/Library/Frameworks/WebKit.framework/Versions/A/Frameworks/JavaScriptCore.framework/Versions/A/JavaScriptCore

dyld: Symbol not found: __ZN3KJS9ObjectImpC1Eb

Referenced from: /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/JavaScriptGlue.framework/Versions/A/JavaScriptGlue

Expected in: /System/Library/Frameworks/WebKit.framework/Versions/A/Frameworks/JavaScriptCore.framework/Versions/A/JavaScriptCore

• 4 weeks later...

Just my 2 cents worth after installing Jas 10.4.8 SSE2 combo update:

- system works fine (ie, booting up is normal and slightly slower than 10.4.6)

- mail.app cannot send out emails, but can recieve mails.

-fixed mail.app by installing one from my 10.4.6 install... might work with 10.4.7 install.

- safari works fine

- using 10.4.8 radeon9700 kexts and opengl from apple combo, all fine.... QE and CI and Q2DE all working..

- rosetta, works only without running any graphics based software (ie opengl stuff)

- rosetta works with my word, excel and powerpoint without presentations

- wc3 crashes immediately after startup of the game

- acpi replaced with 10.4.6, now ACPIPowersource.kext is loaded, helps with cpu throttling somehow...

- played around with some 10.4.8 frameworks, so far, only opengl framework is safe to use with 10.4.8 ATIRadeon9700.kext......

• 5 weeks later...

Same issue here. Just updated to 10.4.8 using the JaS SSE2 Intel package (not the combo) and replaced all of the relevant frameworks from 10.4.7, including DirectoryService. The DirectoryService process is always up around 80%-90%. Anyone know what the problem is? Everything else is working fine.

Thanks,

HHM

Hi all,

My CPU is always 100 % usage .The DirectoryServcice is always high (+- 80 %).

Thank for your collaboration.

Debian

Just an update to my earlier post regarding DirectoryService taking up all of the available cpu. After reading the man page for DirectoryService, I opened up the Directory Access application and started turning off the services one by one. It turns out the SLP service is the culprit. If I disable SLP my cpu goes back to normal. I have no idea why this is the case, but I'm pretty sure I don't need SLP. If anyone knows why this happens, please let me know.

HHM