10.4.8 SSE2 boots to desktop

quixos

62 posts in this topic

quixos,

This 10.4.8 release from Apple has been a {censored} to us all. I get the feeling that we'll be taking less and less from each release from Apple from this point on. Of course, I did try to update on my own, but it was getting "too dark to see, feels like knock'ng on heaven door" - lyrics from Bob Dylan song.

Anyway, it is good to see that you haven't given up. Keep your chin up. :)

Guest goodtime

Does anyone know if iTunes 7 and Quicktime 7.1.3 work natively on SSE2 machines with this update?

Any video acceleration news with SSE2 machines?

Just curious, I might dive in and see what I can get working.

gt

I don't imagine this update would fix the itunes problem because the problem was within the processor because apple made the application for sse3 processors. so the problem is within your processor and not the OS.

Does anyone know if iTunes 7 and Quicktime 7.1.3 work natively on SSE2 machines with this update?

Just curious, I might dive in a see what I can get working.

gt

could be just my setup, but itunes, quicktime, ichat, FCE 3.5, LiveType, SoundTrack, mozilla work with Jas's 10.4.8 SSE2 update.

Just curious, I might dive in a see what I can get working.

gt

Don't think it's a purely SSE3 issue. I only have an SSE2 and both itunes 7.0.1 and Quicktime 7.1.3 have not problems whatsoever. I think it's to do with the graphics, and having QE/CI working. I have the sapphire x11600xt working using the borisbadenov method.

Still have not tried .8 as don't want to have to reinstall.

Just installed JAS SSE2 10.4.8 (using a Centrino 1.4 laptop)...

I'm still using the previous version of QuickTime 7.1.2 and iTunes 6.05: both are still working after the update.

About Safari: after the update I also have issues with Safari: message displayed "Safari could not open the page “http://www.google.com/” because the server stopped responding."

Funny workaround for this: use the "Reset Safari" option and everything starts working again until you quit Safari and launch it again: apparently when quitting Safari something is being written to disk that is preventing the proper functioning when opening it again...

Take care,

Tek_No

Guest goodtime
could be just my setup, but itunes, quicktime, ichat, FCE 3.5, LiveType, SoundTrack, mozilla work with Jas's 10.4.8 SSE2 update.

TSUN,

Do you have QE/CI? What video card do you have on your SSE2 Machine?

gt

looks like i'll have a list of working Frameworks tonight. Safari is working, Mail, and all of JaS networking fixes. one or two Utilities might have to be from 10.4.7.

i'm busy in the RL, so i'll finish up tonight if i don't pass out. things are looking up! :P

TSUN,

Do you have QE/CI? What video card do you have on your SSE2 Machine?

gt

GT

i have a GMA900 .. and it still has QE/CI support but thats due to the jas update that skipped over the opengl i believe. i even bettered my xbench with the new release. 75 to 85 now ...

you having probs GT ?

Not to get off topic or anything, but I'm guessing the JaS update would only work on intels? No AMD SSE2 support yet?

as of now i do not believe AMD support is out. there was a TubGirl AMD release but i dont know if anyone was able to verify the contents/validity ...

just alittle happy now that everything is working ... heres what i got :)

my processor now comes up as Unkown but when you open up the more info .. its says its intel.. no biggy .. i think i can live with unkown intel

post-53952-1159940719_thumb.jpg

what interface card are you using ... are you able to connect to interent ? etc ?

what type of server are you tring to connect to ? mine is a samba share so its pretty straight forward ...

did you make sure you file sharing and all the goodies were turned on still in your network system configs ?

Thanks for helping out with the support in this thread,Oh and glad the update worked.

Thanks for helping out with the support in this thread,Oh and glad the update worked.

no prob ... i love a good challenge :D Thank you for cranking out a fine product ... ive seen some nice performace from networking and over all OS usage in the 4.8. even for my sse2

BaselineAce, no it's not working natively without SSE3.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

i'm doing a final install of the 10.4.8 update, without the frameworks i've identified as problems for us with SSE2. will post the list here in about 30 minutes.

seems to work perfectly.

DON'T BE AN IDIOT! BACKUP YOUR 10.4.7 FRAMEWORKS!

here are the Frameworks to exclude from an SSE2 10.4.8 update.

/System/Library/Frameworks/

AppKit.framework

ApplicationServices.framework/Versions/A/Frameworks/CoreGraphics.framework

DirectoryServices.framework

DiskRecording.framework

DiskRecordingUI.framework

DiskArbitration.framework

DVDPlayback.framework

Foundation.framework

IOKit.framework

Message.framework

QuartzCore.framework

-------------------------------------

exclude also Activity Monitor

/Applications/Utilities/Application Monitor.app

--------------------------------------

Application Monitor doesn't show the graphical Disk or Network Activity,

but it does show graphical CPU Usage. any ideas?

everything else "I" use, works as it should, so far. :D

let me know how it goes, if all goes well, i'll put this in the first post.

Discuss 10.4.8 Update excluded Frameworks list

-------------------------------------

TAKE RESPONSIBILITY

use all your applications, and REPORT in some detail unexpected or broken

behavior! look at the console, google, get back to us!

Discuss 10.4.8 Update excluded Frameworks list

if effort is made we probably can track down unexpected behaviors and loose ends.

give this a couple days before you start asking for a package. :)

-----------------------------------

Edited, added Message.framework (to fix slow mailsync). now i'm done for the day. looking

forward to reading about broken things tonight. ;)

You know... Im just gonna chill with 10.4.7 for now. I use to want to jump on updates as soon as they came out, but this one seems to not like SSE2 users at all. So if you are a SSE2 processor user, ide wait it out untill they have a real stable version. Think about it, theres no changes that the average user in this community would be able to notice from 4.7 to 4.8.