10.4.8 by JaS just posted an hour from the time of this post!

jbardi

322 posts in this topic

JaS released his own update installer for 10.4.8, SSE3 Intel... it is up on Demonoid... was posted just under an hour ago from the time I am posting this.

He states:

"This update is for INTEL users with SSE3,It will install os x 10.4.8 on your pc. Just run this from your existing os x install.Reboot and enjoy."

Now we all need this... so don't get over zealous and forget to SEED!

Guest bikedude880
Jas = as always the life safer

I don't think that JaS should be the only one that we look to when it comes to new releases. But that's just me. Hope a few more stars come out to shine. ;)

JaS is good at doing what he needs to do... but he also backs off when he doesn't feel like it... I know he doesn't feel obligated, and we all need to make sure we don't give him that impression. Kiko, etc are there to help him along the way as well. I mean we all should realize it is not up to him to provide for us all the time, but I know he doesn't do it because he feels he has to please us or something. He does it because he is good at it, and we all appreciate his hard work and knowledge.

I see 17 seeds on the server... looking good guys, thanks for keeping it running!

For those of you who have already downloaded and installed the update... let us know how it went... did you have any problems?

Of course if the system didn't boot, some of you may not be able to get back here to post anything :)

Guest goodtime
For those of you who have already downloaded and installed the update... let us know how it went... did you have any problems?

Of course if the system didn't boot, some of you may not be able to get back here to post anything :)

Installed 10.4.3 -> JaS 10.4.6 with SSE3, USB Soundmax and GMA900 -> JaS 10.4.7 -> JaS 10.4.8 -> installed my modded Ethernet for Yukon and NetGear IO networking.kext.

Working 100%. Boots super fast.

No problems.

Installed 10.4.3 -> JaS 10.4.6 with SSE3, USB Soundmax and GMA900 -> JaS 10.4.7 -> JaS 10.4.8 -> installed my modded Ethernet for Yukon and NetGear IO networking.kext.

Working 100%. Boots super fast.

No problems.

That's what I was waiting to hear,thanks for posting back.

Well, finally got it downloaded and installed... was sweating bullets for a minute when my system didn't restart right away, but everyone came back up, and the "About This Mac" from the Apple Menu boomed the numbers "10.4.8"

Everything seems to be running... VirtueDesktops has a glitch in displaying all of the desktop names overlapping each other on the primary display, but that is a problem I had in the past with a pervious version... I think its something even retail Mac users get after 10.4.8 rather than an adverse effect of the JaS upgrade.

Once again, up to date and as happy as could be expected. Thanks again JaS... I don't know how you keep pulling it off amid all the bad mojo people keep throwing about like, "Well, I guess the fun is over... 10.4.7 is it for us... 10.4.8 can't be hacked"

You just keep proving them wrong at every turn... not sure how, but all you will get from my neck of the woods is applause and praise.

Well, no real reason... I mean many people today are still running Panther (10.3) and refuse to even upgrade to 10.4 at all.

Personally, if there are no ill effects with the JaS upgrade, I'd install it. No sense hanging back with 10.4.7 for the next 10 months waiting for Leopard.

As I have heard, I think this update was suppose to Finder fixes and performance, some fixes with certain software programs like word and includes the most resent security fixes, in case you didn't install the last patched fix I guess. Not sure how much of that relies on the extensions that were removed with this patched update, but again, no reason not to update if it has no adverse effects.

Message from JaS in another thread:

did you read this in the torrent description?

Ok I just noticed that the postflight for this package is not in the resources folder of the installer.It is in the contents folder.

So when your done downloading this right click on the package and pick show contents.then it will open the package as a folder.

Next open contents and you will see the postflight script.Just drop it in the resoures folder then run the package and everything will install without a hitch.

Sorry about that guys,if you forget to do it the install will be fine, still boot up and run, you will just have to manually repair permissions and fix smb.

Would the Intel Core Duo in my laptop have a problem with this? I'm not entirely positive if it supports SSE3 or not. I installed with both SSE2 and SSE3 patches and the installation runs great...I believe I have read on intel's site that it supports SSE3, but when I boot up the install DVD and look at its description it says SSE2 but doesn't mention SSE3...

I feel like my CPU does support SSE3, but I don't want to update unless I am positive it will work.

Guest bikedude880

Little worried that this update will break my install... which is precisely why I moved my User folder to my other HD and symlinked to it. No more worrying about each update. :D Although I really hope nothing gets thrown out of whack :P

Would the Intel Core Duo in my laptop have a problem with this? I'm not entirely positive if it supports SSE3 or not. I installed with both SSE2 and SSE3 patches and the installation runs great...I believe I have read on intel's site that it supports SSE3, but when I boot up the install DVD and look at its description it says SSE2 but doesn't mention SSE3...

I feel like my CPU does support SSE3, but I don't want to update unless I am positive it will work.

Your cpu does support sse3 , just mount the install dvd and run the intel sse3 pkg,then after that install the update and reboot.

Little worried that this update will break my install... which is precisely why I moved my User folder to my other HD and symlinked to it. No more worrying about each update. :D Although I really hope nothing gets thrown out of whack :P

Nothing in the installer installs to your user folder.

Guest bikedude880

I know nothing gets installed to the user folder, just moved it so that in case something does go wrong, I can wipe the hard drive without having to worry about all my data... Been in too many situations where I've done some heavy changes (in other OS's) and lost all my data. Bad memories and cautious procedures now.

Almost done with the DL... any problems besides the ones that have been brought up before that I whould worry about?

Ok, I have seen in a few other threads (referring to Kiko's update) that 10.4.8 can cause GMA900 series vid chips to no longer enable QE/CI... is this the case with Jas' update? Can anyone clarify this for me?

Much Appreciated.

Nofences

Guest bikedude880

Well, I have to say that was the smoothest update ever. Rebooted just fine and everything seems to be just a touch faster. QE/CI is still supported on the GMA950 and everything is perfect so far.

Fullscreen_1.png