How to spoof real Mac in VMware

Donk

95 posts in this topic

Ethernet address is not valid hex.. Only 0-F characters accepted for the MAC address. Also need tot remove this line:

ethernet0.generatedAddressOffset = "0"

The other IDs for board-id and ROM etc look odd to me as never seen ones with "x" in them.  If being used to escape a hex number remove them before using in VMX file. Alternatively generate some new ones from Clover Configurator.

Thanks. That's interesting. The file works, though, if I don't make the changes suggested in this thread.

Is there some way to generate a complete vmx file using Clover Configurator? 

Ethernet address is not valid hex.. Only 0-F characters accepted for the MAC address. Also need tot remove this line:

The other IDs for board-id and ROM etc look odd to me as never seen ones with "x" in them.  If being used to escape a hex number remove them before using in VMX file. Alternatively generate some new ones from Clover Configurator.

He's just copied the above script for PhantomOne1235, i believe he's changed out some of the numbers/letters in his addresses before posting them to stop them being copied.

Then you either haven't created the file or you're not in the directory where you created it. 

When you open the terminal it should automatically take you to your home directory. Create the file in there, make it executable (with "sudo chmod +x system.sh"), and then run it (by typing "./system.sh"). 

This seems to be the bit i'm struggling to do, can you walk me through it please?

He's just copied the above script for PhantomOne1235, i believe he's changed out some of the numbers/letters in his addresses before posting them to stop them being copied.

This seems to be the bit i'm struggling to do, can you walk me through it please?

Actually, I didn't copy it from anyone, and didn't modify anything in it. I got it from another site, together with the image. 

I can walk you through it, but first you have to tell me if you know how to open up a terminal. 

Actually, I didn't copy it from anyone, and didn't modify anything in it. I got it from another site, together with the image. 

I can walk you through it, but first you have to tell me if you know how to open up a terminal. 

Well the numbers are not valid for real Macs so I would change them at some point. Also I highly recommend not getting "images" for VMware as often they have additional KEXTS and software that does not play nicely with VMware. All the work here is only supported if you build a vanilla installation from Apple media. Not saying it won't work but very difficult for me and the others who work on this to diagnose errors if other things are added to the installation.

I see, and to do that I would need clover? 

No only the app that generates the numbers. However I forgot there is a different solution which just does the number generation but it crashes when I run it. http://applemac.tools.greenosx.com/guide/

I will have a look at something to create them but for now I can create some for you.

ahci.port.hotplug.enabled = "FALSE"
board-id = "Mac-F22589C8"
board-id.reflectHost = "FALSE"
efi.nvram.var.MLB = "C02534108QXF652AD"
efi.nvram.var.MLB.reflectHost = "FALSE"
efi.nvram.var.ROM = "D8A25E216117"
efi.nvram.var.ROM.reflectHost = "FALSE"
ethernet0.Address = "DC:86:D8:1B:FC:41"
ethernet0.addressType = "static"
ethernet0.checkMACAddress = "false"
hw.model = "MacBookPro6,2"
hw.model.reflectHost = "FALSE"
serialNumber = "CK130BK3AGW"
serialNumber.reflectHost = "FALSE"
smbios.reflectHost = "FALSE"
smbios.use12CharSerialNumber = "TRUE"
smc.present = "TRUE"
smc.version = "0"
system-id.enable = "TRUE"

Take a backup of the VMX file and then merge them into the VMX file and make sure there are no duplicate lines. No idea how well they work with Apple accounts and iMessage but worth a try.

i have attached my 'system info.txt', 'iMessageDebugger.txt' and '.VMX' file. Can anyone help with where i'm going wrong please? No matter what i do i just cant get the VM to acknowledge the serial and board-id i'm trying to assign it. I'm just trying to get a working App Store to at very least download the El Capitan ISO to dual boot from the HDD.   

i checked my system shell script and it showed this:

iMessageDebug.txt

OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion no serial change.txt

system report.txt

system.shell script non working serial change.txt

i have attached my 'system info.txt', 'iMessageDebugger.txt' and '.VMX' file. Can anyone help with where i'm going wrong please? No matter what i do i just cant get the VM to acknowledge the serial and board-id i'm trying to assign it. I'm just trying to get a working App Store to at very least download the El Capitan ISO to dual boot from the HDD.   

i checked my system shell script and it showed this:

You should not need a valid serial number or board id to download El Capitan from the App Store, just needs a valid apple ID.

ctrl.tiff

t.tiff

iMessage and FaceTime do not work.

I try to change efi.nvram.var.ROM in .vmx file a lot times.

any word put in the vmx file be changed show by ASCII.but over 7 words it alway c08ee08ee88e.

vmx       ROM

a             61

c             63

123c      31323363

1234c   3132333463

12345c    313233343563

123456c c08ee08ee88e

111111c c08ee08ee88e

any help .thanks

• Like 1

attachicon.gifctrl.tiff

attachicon.gift.tiff

iMessage and FaceTime do not work.

I try to change efi.nvram.var.ROM in .vmx file a lot times.

any word put in the vmx file be changed show by ASCII.but over 7 words it alway c08ee08ee88e.

vmx       ROM

a             61

c             63

123c      31323363

1234c   3132333463

12345c    313233343563

123456c c08ee08ee88e

111111c c08ee08ee88e

any help .thanks

Nothing can be done about it. Seems VMware have changed the way the setting works.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

whats weird is it worked for me once but, now the VM either crashes vmplayer or or sits there with a spinning loading thingy under the apple logo in workstation 10. did i burn up a fake serial number?

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Is there any way to change the "boot rom version" info by vmx? : "Boot ROM Version: VMW71.00V.0.B64.1308231723"

I want to install a brand new OSX by VMWare, now i found there are some info are same everytime install. when i use itunes, it can recongise me, how to change vmx to make a brand new OSX?

please help me, forgive my poor english.

• 8 months later...

Gentlemen, 

I'm trying to use OSx10.12.4 in VM to test enrollment in Microsoft Intune. Which requires to download a management profile and install it into a system.

I can do it on physical machine, but not VM. in El Capitan i get an error that certificate is expired, though its not. In Sierra it would start installing and just hang there.

System works, but wheel is spinning and nothing is happening. I figured i need to set serial number, to on of the real Mac.

I did it with serialNumber = "CK130BK3AGW" in VMX file.

Serial shows in About screen.

But now when i install profile, it gives me certificate expired message.

i figured it must have something to do with detecting it as a real Mac.

I'm tried using suggestion from above, but got to Dictionary Error when starting VM :)

Can anyone help with proper config?

I'm using VM Workstation 12.5.5

thank you

• 1 year later...
On 9/25/2013 at 6:50 AM, Donk said:

Remove or comment out these lines in the VMX file (make sure guest is powered off):

ethernet0.addressType = "generated"
ethernet0.generatedAddress = "xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx"

Add the lines with a static Apple MAC Address:

ethernet0.Address = "xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx"
ethernet0.addressType = "static"
ethernet0.checkMACAddress = "false"

replace the ethernetX.Address line with something from this list http://hwaddress.com/?q=Apple

Whenever I follow this step for my .vmx file, ESXi does not recognize the file as .vmx anymore. And yes I know this thread is 5 years old now, but I need iMessage on my VM for weServer to work.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, B14NK said:

Whenever I follow this step for my .vmx file, ESXi does not recognize the file as .vmx anymore. And yes I know this thread is 5 years old now, but I need iMessage on my VM for weServer to work.

Try looking for duplicate lines that can cause VMware to report VMX is corrupt.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Donk said:

Try looking for duplicate lines that can cause VMware to report VMX is corrupt.

I don't know what I did differently this time, but when I remade the before and after VMX files to attach to this post, it suddenly wasn't corrupted anymore...

Anyway, I still can't get iMessage to work. Whenever I sign in, it returns saying "An error occurred during activation. Try again." I'll continue looking more into this, but do you know of any way to fix this?

Edit: One of my Apple ID accounts could get in, but quickly got booted out returning the same error.

Edited by B14NK
  • Like 1

• 1 year later...

Newer VMware products require the efi.nvram.var.ROM to be specified in the following format:

efi.nvram.var.ROM = "%12%34%56%78%90%ab"

The above value results in 1234567890ab

SmUUID can be changed via uuid.bios:

uuid.bios = "aa bb cc dd ee ff 00 11-22 33 44 55 66 77 88 99"

The above value results in AABBCCDD-EEFF-0011-2233-445566778899

Setting [system-id.enable = "TRUE"] is required to be able to use a custom SmUUID.

You can always verify that the settings are recognized OK by the VM with the help of iMessageDebug.

• Like 4

• 1 month later...

I was able to get my imessages to work thanks to @mishamosherg's post about the format for the efi.nvram.var.ROM parameter in newer VMWare products. I'm using VMWare 15.1, vanilla Catalina 10.15.6 with no boot loaders. I did have to rip a valid MLB and ROM out of an old Macbook I no longer use, using iMessageDebug.

VMWare Workstation 16 is around the corner. I'm curious to know if this would work on it once it's released. MacOSX does not boot with any VMWare versions above 15.1. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...