• Please log in to reply
48 replies to this topic

AxeL__17

AxeL__17

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Only just had time to do this, but clean Mavericks install on Fusion 6 Pro, on a real Macbook Pro allows iMessage to work. So now need to take that VM to a Workstation machine and see if I can find what is different. Will probably use DarwinDumper to get a complete snapshot of all hardware information, and compare between the 2 platforms.

Donk, could you please specify on which condition (virtual hw ver, vmx option,…)

I am currently running on Mac with Fusion but I was unable to get iMessage working :(

Thnx

luckman212

luckman212

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 49 posts

Is this possible to do? I am running VMware 10.0.1 with an OS X 10.9 guest (using VMsvga2 and VMware Tools from Darwin.iso 6.0.2) and everything mostly works fine. The only thing I can't get working is iMessage. I think I've tried just about everything ....

M-u-l-t-i Beast 6.0.1
Chameleon Wizard
Chimera
FileNVRAM.dylib 1.1.2 (and 1.1.3)
added SMBIOS.use12CharSerialNumber = "TRUE" to the .vmx,
Signing in from a "real" Mac
changing iCloud password
clearing all iMessage items from Keychain
...etc etc...

So far nothing has worked... has anyone gotten iMessage to work from inside VMware Workstation running on a non-Mac host?

Donk

Donk

InsanelyMac Deity

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,021 posts
Apparently a known issue that VMware is aware of and is looking into a fix.

wally007

wally007

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 40 posts

Hello Donk,

Have you tried this spoof method on ESXi host and see if it "fools" hypervisor into thinking it's installed on real Mac ?! That way we could use vCenter to manage unlocked ESXi host... just wishful thinking :-)

Donk

Donk

InsanelyMac Deity

• Members
  • 2,021 posts

Hello Donk,

Have you tried this spoof method on ESXi host and see if it "fools" hypervisor into thinking it's installed on real Mac ?! That way we could use vCenter to manage unlocked ESXi host... just wishful thinking :-)

It would work, as I tried it on a nested ESXi instance. However you would need to make your ESXi server a Hackintosh and override the SMBIOS to specify Apple hardware and the presence of the SMC chip. I have not found a way to do that as ESXi uses its own bootloader.

MSoK

MSoK

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 984 posts

It would work, as I tried it on a nested ESXi instance. However you would need to make your ESXi server a Hackintosh and override the SMBIOS to specify Apple hardware and the presence of the SMC chip. I have not found a way to do that as ESXi uses its own bootloader.

Donk,

I am assuming your nested ESXi instance is running on a Mac under Fusion, so ESXi is running on Apple hardware?

Donk

Donk

InsanelyMac Deity

• Members
  • 2,021 posts

Donk,

I am assuming your nested ESXi instance is running on a Mac under Fusion, so ESXi is running on Apple hardware?

Actually did it on Fusion and Workstation, and it worked.

phukit

phukit

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Apparently a known issue that VMware is aware of and is looking into a fix.

Is there now way currently to run imessage in vmware than?

kurtzion

kurtzion

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

iMessage didn't work also for me with this method on Windows laptop.

Also, I want to activate my Facetime but Facetime can't detect my built-in camera. I check in System Information & no driver installed for Camera.

Any way I can use my Facetime? Other methods or links perhaps for the driver? Really need help for this.

I have Sony VAIO VPCCW16FA on Windows 7 x 64 laptop, running OS X 10.9 Mavericks on VMWare Worstation 10. I got my OS X 10.9 WMWare Image from Soul Dev Team.

aircool00

aircool00

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 20 posts

I haven't tried this or care much about iMessenger. In my journey in bios hacking with ozmosis on other UEFI boards you can set nvram in the terminal and change some things this may help with getting this to work as it is a question a lot of people have on ozmisis thread too.

sudo nvram 4D1FDA02-38C7-4A6A-9CC6-4BCCA8B30102:BiosVersion=MM61.88Z.0106.B00.1208091121
sudo nvram 4D1FDA02-38C7-4A6A-9CC6-4BCCA8B30102:ProductName=Macmini6,2
sudo nvram 4D1FDA02-38C7-4A6A-9CC6-4BCCA8B30102:SystemSerial=xxxxxxxxxxxx
sudo nvram
4D1FDA02-38C7-4A6A-9CC6-4BCCA8B30102:ProductFamily=Macmini
sudo nvram 4D1FDA02-38C7-4A6A-9CC6-4BCCA8B30102:ProductId=Mac-F65AE981FFA204ED

xxxxxxxxxxxx=serial that need to be generated using clover configuration or chameleon wizard. 

here is the thread and more info might be in there to help with other problems I just copied and pasted from the first post. but if you look up the nvram stuff you might find what your looking for to fix this

http://www.insanelym...291655-ozmosis/

Another idea running off Donks post

If your running a UEFI bios you could hack it using that thread and get oz to work and running ESX(i) might see it as mac hardware since a lot of the stuff is taken care of in the bios. I have a Quo with OZ but currently have a K (not so great with VM) processor in it. If I happen to switch it out for a regular one (non K) I'll test this out and report back.

ArgVega

ArgVega

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts
I have looked into ozmosis(haven't tried it), but I believe those values are only static for firmware that support nvram saving, I believe vmware efi and exe reset the nvram upon reboot.

We could write a launch daemon to reset these setting upon reboot but it must execute on kernel boot up (not the case with vmware efi, it executes towards end of kernel). This is all based on elnono_ research of imessage:

'KLDBootstrap::~KLDBootstrap' calculates these five 17 bytes values based on hashes of:
- IOPlatformUUID
- IOPlatformSerialNumber
- IODeviceTree:/chosen/boot-uuid
- IODeviceTree:/options/4D1EDE05-38C7-4A6A-9CC6-4BCCA8B38C14:ROM
- IODeviceTree:/options/4D1EDE05-38C7-4A6A-9CC6-4BCCA8B38C14:MLB

each value is appended, in that order, on the gIOPlatformExternalData OSData object.....Those five values must be set when the kernel is started and MUST NOT change afterwards.

http://www.insanelym...ully/?p=1981588

Hacking the vmware exe or efi would be great because we can set these values at the source, but I don't think it would be feasible. Donk tried to decode the efi64.rom but seems vmware has encoded it in a way that is not standard.

aircool00

aircool00

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 20 posts

Copy, that. I'll try to get a non K or just see how ESX treats my Quo as is.

Donk

Donk

InsanelyMac Deity

• Members
  • 2,021 posts

Donk tried to decode the efi64.rom but seems vmware has encoded it in a way that is not standard.

I have now found the tools to extract the modules from the VMware EFI ROMs. However haven't yet tried modifying anything.

As for Messages and iCloud there does seem to be a big issue with VMware, and acknowledged by VMware engineers. Burnt 2 iCloud ids trying to make it work, but to be honest not something I am that interested in as have real Mac hardware available. I have other projects I am working on, and so others will have to pick up the work for this. Sorry about that, but busy at work and home.

One last piece of help I can give you; it is possible to change the MAC address of any virtual NICs to match Apple's available address ranges. 

Remove or comment out these lines in the VMX file (make sure guest is powered off):

ethernet0.addressType = "generated"
ethernet0.generatedAddress = "xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx"
ethernet0.generatedAddressOffset = "0"

Add the lines with a static Apple MAC Address:

ethernet0.Address = "xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx"
ethernet0.addressType = "static"
ethernet0.checkMACAddress = "false"

replace the ethernetX.Address line with something from this list http://hwaddress.com/?q=Apple

clawhammer64

clawhammer64

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Friends we cant spoof completely without BoardSerialNumber=17 chars

Anybody know how to add it to VMX?

clawhammer64

clawhammer64

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

And why UUID 4D1EDE05-38C7-4A6A-9CC6-4BCCA8B38C14 always generated?

Donk

Donk

InsanelyMac Deity

• Members
  • 2,021 posts

And why UUID 4D1EDE05-38C7-4A6A-9CC6-4BCCA8B38C14 always generated?

That is the UUID of Apple specific EFI variables in nvram and cannot be changed.

tweexter

tweexter

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Has there been any updates to this? 

I installed Mavericks on VMWS 10, did all the serial/board.id/ethernet stuff from the first post. I'm able to log into icloud and even get photo stream to work.  iMessage still fails activation :(

yozh

yozh

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 246 posts

Anyone got this working on ESXi or Workstation 10 ? I`m trying out 10.10 and none of the tricks in this thread worked for iCloud or iMessages. I was able to use EFI64.rom from the fusion, but still it does not work. 

Vinnie881

Vinnie881

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts
Same here. Would love to get imessage working! I heard to use a machine id and identifiers from an actual working Mac but don't know. Also I have a strange feeling Apple has blocked my VMware from activating. Is that posible?

Donk

Donk

InsanelyMac Deity

• Members
  • 2,021 posts

Known issue at VMware that the VMware virtual machine is not recognized by Apple. There is no workaround using the information I posted here.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy