[SUCCESS] Vanilla ML 10.8.5 on GA-Z87X-UD4H & 4770k Haswell

acronator

31 posts in this topic

First Post. First Hackintosh. First Vanilla Install. Took a few tries but now the system is up and running smoothly and blazing fast. Love it. 

System Specs

Intel Core i7 4770k
Gigabyte GA-Z87X-UD4H (BIOS F7)
MSI GTX 660 
OCZ Vertex 3 SSD
All other peripherals pretty much standard. I already had Windows up and running on another HDD.   

1. BIOS Settings
- Disabled all HDDs except the drive for Mac installation
- Ensured that SATA controllers were set to AHCI and not IDE
- Disabled Onboard Video (Monitors are connected to the GTX 660)
- Intel Virtualization  Disabled
- XHCI Auto
- XHCI & EHCI handoffs set to enabled
- No other changes

2. Preparing the USB Installer
It is the best out there for a plain vanilla install. 

Followed it closely but deviated from the process a bit while patching the installer (Step 2C onwards). 

- Did not use NullCPUPowerManagement.kext

- Downloaded FakeSMC.kext v5.3.820 by kozlek with autoupdate disabled 

- Downloaded AppleIntelE1000e.kext v2.5.4c by hnak for ethernet

- Downloaded GenericUSBXHCI.kext v1.2.6d2 by Zenith432 for USB 3.0

- Copied all three files to /System/Library/Extensions/ folder of the USB drive [ Attached all three Kexts to this post - KEXTs.zip]

- Followed the remaining steps in Step 2C of the guide above. 

- Installed Chameleon 2.2svn r2255 to make the USB drive bootable (Newer versions of Chameleon 2.2 caused issues for me so I would advise you stick with r2255). 

- Used Chameleon Wizard and used iMac 13.2 profile in it to generate my SMBios.plist and placed it in the Extra folder of USB.

- Created an Org.chameleon.Boot.plist file for the USB Installer with the following arguments and placed it in the Extra folder of the USB drive. [ Attached to this post Org.chameleon.Boot.plist-USB.zip ] 
-v
-f
dart=0

GraphicsEnabler=No
EthernetBuiltIn=Yes
RestartFix=No

3. Installation 

USB booted up and installation went smoothly. 

Once it was complete, restarted and booted once again into the USB and launched the Terminal Utility of the installer to copy the above 3 kexts into the installation with the following commands:

cp –R /System/Library/Extensions/FakeSMC.kext /Volumes/“Your Mac Partition Name”/System/Library/Extensions/
cp –R /System/Library/Extensions/AppleIntelE1000e.kext /Volumes/"Your Mac Partition Name"/System/Library/Extensions/
cp –R /System/Library/Extensions/GenericUSBXHCI.kext /Volumes/"Your Mac Partition Name"/System/Library/Extensions/
reboot

(If your Mac OS partition has a spaces in the name keep the quotes in the above commands).

Restarted system and this time booted into OS X installation. Ethernet and USB 3.0 working (Tested speeds). Audio not working. 

4. Post Installation & Audio Fix 

Installing Chamelon on Mac Partition
- Installed Chameleon 2.2svn r2255 to the Mac Partition using Chameleon Wizard
- Created a folder called Extra in the root of the Mac partition and copied into this the SMBios.plist file from the /USB/Extra folder
- Created an Org.chameleon.Boot.plist file for the OS with the following arguments. 
GraphicsEnabler=No
EthernetBuiltIn=Yes
You can customize this of course. Just make sure you specify the above two arguments. [ Attached mine to this post - Org.chameleon.Boot.plist-MAC.zip ]

To fix Audio I used toleda’s solution. 
Go to your System Preferences and under Security ensure that programs from sources other than App Store can be installed.
Download HDAEnabler1.kext from here : https://github.com/toleda/audio_kext_enabler
Copy it into the folder /System/Library/Extensions of your Mac partition
Open shell and type the following commands. 

cd /Volumes/"Your Mac Partition Name"/System/Library/Extensions
sudo chmod -R 755 HDAEnabler1.kext
sudo chown -R root:wheel HDAEnabler1.kext

You will be asked for your password at some point. Enter it.
Now download this by clicking on the "Download Zip" on the right: https://github.com/toleda/audio_ALC898
Extract the zip in the downloads folder (DO NOT MOVE IT). Double-click audio_alc898-85_patch.command to execute it.
If you are asked for password enter it. If you get the following output then it was a success:

Prepare Desktop/audio_ALC898 ...
Archive: 898.zip
creating: 898/
inflating: 898/Info-84.plist 
inflating: 898/Info-85.plist 
extracting: 898/layout1.xml.zlib 
extracting: 898/layout2.xml.zlib 
extracting: 898/layout3.xml.zlib 
inflating: 898/Platforms.xml.zlib 
Install files ...
Password:
Patch binary ...
Fix permissions ...
Kernel cache...
Finished, restart required.
logout

Restart computer to complete installation

The boot arguments for installer from here were incredibly helpful. 

PENDING: 
Create a patched DSDT. Any advice on this is appreciated. 

UPDATE: Sept 26 2013
Following issues come up frequently:
  • Sleep/wake problem where the system freezes while waking up (no display either). 
  • Random complete system hangs where everything just freezes
  • Prolonged waits and temporary freezes with the wheel spinning away to glory or the mouse not moving. 

​Repaired permissions and also ran kext utility. Issues continue. Chipping away..will update once I have a stable system. 

KEXTs.zip

org.chameleon.Boot.plist-USB.zip

org.chameleon.Boot.plist-MAC.zip

• Like 1

Everything seems to be working when it works.

However I get random freezes every once in a while.

How do I diagnose what is causing these? Please help. 

very simple, run disk utility and run repair permissions ,that works for me ,no more kernel panics and no freezing

Following issues come up frequently:

• Sleep/wake problem where the system freezes while waking up (no display either). 
  • Complete system hangs where everything just freezes
  • Prolonged waits and temporary freezes with the wheel spinning away to glory or the mouse not moving. 

I tried fixing permissions using disk utility. When issues continued I also ran kext utility to fix the extensions folder. 

Neither worked. I plan to start over and introduce kexts gradually to isolate issue.

Any other suggestions are most welcome.  

Just FYI: 10.8.5 Supplemental Update to be released to fix some issues with 10.8.5

Hi Acronator, I have the same hardware except z87X-Ud5H

For fix problems I used Darwin Dumper - I learnt thanks iFIRE

You run the software and you can check the kext, kernel, everything with messages.

I think your problem could be USB, when the machine go to sleep

Try the software!

Hi - Thank you for this help. I followed this and was able to get 90%; still no audio.

I've tried several audio installs, with no joy.

Also, a couple a fails I found I must format my old Snow Leopard drive to get this working. Otherwise 

problems were RTFM.

Thank you.

• Like 1

Hi - Thank you for this help. I followed this and was able to get 90%; still no audio.

I've tried several audio installs, with no joy.

Also, a couple a fails I found I must format my old Snow Leopard drive to get this working. Otherwise 

problems were RTFM.

Thank you.

Try to find TOLEDA, the man of the sound.

Hello. please help me.

my system:

Core i7 Haswell 4770

MSI Z87G45 mainboard

16 gb ram

nvidia gtx 770 gpu

My MSI bios : 

SATA mode = AHCI

intel virtualize tech - disabled

Cpu state: C2

I made all instructions above guide. But my system could not reach installer screen. My system reboots after reading kexts. I caught last line boot process on USB: (I paused screen before reboot)

Starting Darwin x86_x64

Boot Args: boot - uuid= 94adf 18bd - b52a - 34a3 - 9fd9 - 33ef0036d093 rd=**uuid -v -f dart=0 -v GraphicsEnabler=No

why is this happening? What is wrong?

note: chameleon showing: Vesa 3.0 14 mb (nvidia) on boot select screen. 14 mb ?? my gpu is not 14 mb ??

Hi Acronator,

Thanks for sharing your experiences with your Haswell build. I'm using the same board and CPU and have also experienced system freezes. My first noted freeze was during a wake from sleep. I've since set my system to not sleep and my drives to remain spinning and have not seen that specific freeze since (several days now).
My other 'freeze' - which I've seen several times - I've only noted when closing a window in Safari. I'm curious if you've noticed any similar pattern. (update: I've now experienced the freeze on various other occasions. Nothing of use appears in the log files at the time of the freeze. I've tried with smbios.plist files defining my machine as a MacPro3,1 and 6,1. I'll try some others as Picasso suggests below)

My install was done using a method from another site. I haven't reviewed the insanelymac forum rules in a while, so I'll leave out their name in case that's a violation. Suffice it to say, they use pre-built installers to get the job done. USB 2&3, Video (both discreet and integrated), Audio are all good. Only USB oddity is I have to connect my keyboard directly to a USB 2 port (off a header) to get my Apple keyboard recognized during POST. I disconnected my Bluetooth adapter after seeing a bunch of errors in the logs and after learning that a 10.8.5 supplemental update with a BT reference is forthcoming. I haven't delved deep into any of the power saving tech as yet (sleep, speedstep, etc). I'd be surprised if they are working as they should.

I'll keep plugging away at the freeze problem and share anything of use. However, I have a feeling that ultimately I'll be installing 10.9 as the "fix."

I'll share my /Extra plists for reference:

smbios:
<key>SMbiosdate</key>
<string>06/12/13</string>
<key>SMbiosvendor</key>
<string>Apple Inc.</string>
<key>SMbiosversion</key>
<string>MP61.88Z.0099.B00.1306121724</string>
<key>SMboardproduct</key>
<string>Mac-F60DEB81FF30ACF6</string>
<key>SMfamily</key>
<string>Mac Pro</string>
<key>SMmanufacturer</key>
<string>Apple Inc.</string>
<key>SMproductname</key>
<string>MacPro6,1</string>
<key>SMserial</key>
<string>obfuscated</string>
<key>SMsystemversion</key>
<string>1.0</string>

boot:
<key>EthernetBuiltIn</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>GenerateCStates</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>GeneratePStates</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>GraphicsEnabler</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>Kernel</key>
<string>mach_kernel</string>
<key>Kernel Flags</key>
<string>-v darkwake=0</string>
<key>Legacy Logo</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>Timeout</key>
<string>2</string>
<key>UseKernelCache</key>
<string>Yes</string>

Regards.

Can you post a Clean unedited DSDT and a IOreg. Thanks. 

hello

congrats

about to patch the dsdt.. if it is all working.. why patch the dsdt ?

good hack

Because we all know that not all things will load without a DSDT edit. 

Else you have to use dirty solutions such as enablers for audio and such. 

Hi,

I had the randomly freezing on my system. It is not the same system the yours, but I had a lot messages on console about SMC error. I updated my FakeSMC to the latest version and my system stopped to freezing. 

Give it a try.

return to the last worked and wait more time

How consistent is your sleep freeze problem? I just finished my build and did a quick "sleep wait a minute and wake test" and everything was fine. Does you machine freeze every time? Just hoping my build is working and not as many problems crop up later.

Thanks for this post by the way! It got me 95% through the install!

hi there,

i´ve got a nearly same build.

i7 4770k @ 4.5 Ghz

z87x UD4H

2400 Mhz, 16gb DDR3 Ram

780 GTX

120 GB Corsair Force

disabled xhci and intel VT, nothing else

the only thig i´ve done was adding the 898 audio kext from "a well know tool" everything elso works absolut fine

did a lot of stress test... played Metro Last Light in Steam OSX, played CoH2 in Paralells VM ...evrything absolut great performance

Geekbench

geek.png

everything is working absolut perfect, expect 5.1 Audio ...but this is not important for me

sleep works also, the only issue i had is that my Mac wakes up for a few seconds every 5-6 hours and get into sleep again:

Oct  7 07:42:14 xxx-Mac-Pro kernel[0] <Debug>: Wake reason: XHC
Oct  8 01:43:33 xxx-Mac-Pro kernel[0] <Debug>: Wake reason: RTC (Alarm)

Random complete system hangs where everything just freezes

Prolonged waits and temporary freezes with the wheel spinning away to glory or the mouse not moving. 

Are you seeing any of these in your system log:

kernel[0]: NVDA(OpenGL): Channel timeout!
kernel[0]: NVDA(Private): Channel timeout!

Are you seeing any of these in your system log:

kernel[0]: NVDA(OpenGL): Channel timeout!
kernel[0]: NVDA(Private): Channel timeout!

I can't speak for the original poster, but I'm experiencing that issue when coming out of sleep for a long time. In my case, I also see that setPowerState is failing.

I've started a post here: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/292615-graphics-power-state-freeze-on-wake-evga-gtx-650-ti-boost-2gb/

I have the exact same configuration and I have the same problem where everything freezed randomly ...

and yes I have those errors on the system log... don't know how to fix that I have tried everything 

I temporarily switched my smbios identity from MacPro6,1 to MacPro5,1 so I could install the Nvidia drivers that are available on their web site. I'm still running as a MacPro5,1 for testing. I haven't seen a freeze, or any of the NVDA timeouts since this morning. I don't consider this a definitive success, but it's promising.

A few notes:

1. I couldn't boot my system with the MacPro5,1 smbios unless I removed the AppleTyMCEDriver.kext from /S/L/E

2. The Nvidia driver installer will only run on systems defined as MacPro3,1 4,1 or 5,1. It may be possible to extract the kexts from the package and manually install them - I didn't try.

3. I'm running DSDT-free and do not currently have the HD 4600 enabled.

I'll post back with any further developments.

Drat. I came home tonight and found that darn thing frozen again. The NVDA errors re-appeared in my logs around 5:38pm and continued until 8:52pm (10/11/13 8:52:24.000 PM kernel[0]: NVDA(OpenGL): Channel timeout!).

I can't be sure that this is the cause of the problems, but I've read other posts about freezes related to the 560ti card. I was running this card in my x58 system on 10.7.5 for quite a while with no difficulties.

Also annoying is that the Nvidia installer has a pref pane in which you can toggle between the Apple default drivers and the Nvidia web driver. I found that selecting the web driver and rebooting does nothing, it always returns to the OS X default driver.

I'll keep looking into the video card as the root cause. If I have the energy, I may remove the 560 and run off the HD 4600 for a while. For now, I think I'll have a drink and watch some TV with the Mrs.

Cheers.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

I'll try to keep this short. I consistently found those NVDA related errors in the log around the time my system would stop responding (mouse moves but nothing else responds, clock stops, and beach ball spins). Going on the assumption that my GTX 560 ti card was somehow connected to my problems, I focused my research there.

Before I found the solution, I went ahead and migrated to Mavericks. Instead of freezes, I would experience Window Server crashes which would return me to the login window. Although less painful than a freeze, they occurred more often. The crashed thread always made reference to com.apple.GeForceGLDriver and com.apple.CoreGraphics. More clues.

I then stumbled upon a posting about how to patch your AGPM (Apple Graphics Power Manager). I'm going to risk posting it here even though it's from another site that isn't quite popular with the die-hard open source crowd. http://www.tonymacx86.com/mountain-lion-desktop-support/93022-560ti-fermi-freeze-back-latest-drivers-10-8-3-a-9.html#post578549

My apologies if I'm breaking any rules. I just want to help.

I'm on two days without any windowserver crashes (which I believe are the 10.9 analogue to the freezes in 10.8.5).

Worth mentioning is that in 10.9, step 2 of the instructions (edit the info.plist file) require the terminal as this file is now invisible. Use terminal to navigate to the contents directory of the kext in question. Then do a ls -al if you want to see what you can't see in the Finder. To edit the plist, you can either use pico, or open it with something like open -a /Applications/TextEdit.app/ Info.plist

Once the kext was edited, my kernel log started to show wonderful things like this...

10/30/13 10:22:14.000 PM kernel[0]: AGPM: updateGPUHwPstate(2, 0): fHwPstate = 1 fFB = 0xffffff8020ea0000
10/30/13 10:22:14.000 PM kernel[0]: AGPM: updateGPUHwPstate(): state = 2. Calling fFB->setAggressiveness()...
10/30/13 10:22:14.000 PM kernel[0]: AGPM: GPU = display G-state set to 2 from 1, ControlID = 18. SW occupancy updated.

I'm 90% sure my troubles are behind me. I think there's a good chance this will fix the issue for anyone who also sees errors like:

NVDA(OpenGL): Channel timeout!

I'll post back if I'm horribly mistaken.

Cheers.

• Like 1