MAC Pro 2,1

8 posts in this topic

Hi All,

I am an owner of a Mac Pro 2,1 3.0ghz quad , dual 2 core xeon - I wish to ask what can I do to have a better life lease on this machine, maye give me a year till i buy the new mac pro

I know one can upgrade video card , cpu and ram - cpu eight core config / video card 1gb 8800gt / ram i could give it a 32gb. Opinions?

Also OSx via chamaleon i could go mountain lion - is it stable but? updates? 

Else what I can do to put it to good use besides an extra large "cheese grater"

Regards

It depends on what your MP is used for (rendering, image/video editing, sound editing). The most universal upgrade is to add SSD disk(s), as this have quite significant impact on how fast the system is. Adding more RAM isn't always noticeable (unless you do some RAM intensive work). Faster CPU could speed up rendering and video editing. Video card is always a good thing to upgrade IMO.

I am by day a video editor / director and on the side I do web dev , app development and graphic design - I wish to upgrade this machine to be able to cope with at least an OS X upgrade stability is an issue i don't know will it take mountain lion or mavericks - run CS Suite, maybe if it ill run Avid Media Composer and Final Cut X would be also very good altough fast rendering etc is not that much of an issue.

if i leave the processors as is and upgrade vid card / ssd / and  got with 16gb ram would be enough?

if i leave the processors as is and upgrade vid card / ssd / and  got with 16gb ram would be enough?

It should be well enough for...

...maye give me a year till i buy the new mac pro

BTW, upgrading to ML/Li may give you a far better choice of VGA cards, as Nvidia currently have official drivers for the above OS X versions. At least it is true with Hackintoshes...

What I need to ask is since this Mac Pro has an EFI32 to install mountain lion and also mavericks you need to adopt chamaleon bootloader using the Jabbawok hack, correct me if I am wrong does this provide me with stability issues, i presume i need to lock upgrades to the os.

Also when I get the newer mac pro, could someone outline what can I do to put this machine to good use? Its a pity to leave it in the garage collecting dust :)

...does this provide me with stability issues, i presume i need to lock upgrades to the os.

it certainly could present some issues (as any hack do). Can't say much about it, as I don't own Mac Pro. A quote from the blog:

Jabbawok

30/07/2012 at 6:55 pm

Jamies method only worked on Developer Preview 1 of Mountain Lion. DP1 had 32bit K/E support. Late builds Need Chameleon, used in my method.

dead.XX on MacRumors has a method that will boot 64bit K/E from EFI 32 http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1404548 but it probably wouldn’t survive software updates. My (not all my own work) method should be fine with SW updates.

what can I do to put this machine to good use? Its a pity to leave it in the garage collecting dust

Use it as a server or a render slave. IMO

• 2 months later...

Send it to me and I'll just pay the shipping costs? :D

I would use it as some sort of farm, bitcoins maybe? Or turn it into a folding rig! Rent out server space maybe? 

Or send it to me...:D

Depending on if you throw a new cpu in it, depending on what it is you can do a contact mod to OC it, and throw in a decent gpu for gaming under windows. The card might not boot under Mac, but it would under Windows.

• 4 weeks later...

I have an older one but did not make it as a Hack but rather looked at Netkas did the firmware update from a MacPro1,1 to 2,1 later to find out it was an orphan road apple with 32 bit EFI. But a fellow named Tiamo got a boot EFI that would make calls from 64 bit to 32 bit (thunk).  I installed it in two places after making an initial install of Maverick (outside the box); then re-installed the drive in the first bay. Boot and chime.

Just wanted to add that I installed a Kingston SSD 240GB drive used CCC to clone now it boots at chime in 15 sec.

Lou Cioccio

post-296559-0-38325500-1388799700_thumb.jpg

• Like 1