Can't boot without USB

infobat

6 posts in this topic

I've successfully installed 10.8.5 using [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] and have used [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] to install all my necessary drivers. Everything works perfectly. I can easily boot into the system using the USB but I have not been able to boot without the USB. I just get redirected to my BIOS screen. I have tried countless methods.

While trying to install Mountain Lion, I would run into problems when trying to use the 'UserDSDT or DSDT-free installation' option. Chimera was also giving me problems. I decided to install each driver individually and not install Chimera. (I don't know if this is still relevant to my current problem)

After further misfortune with bootloaders, I opted to install Ubuntu and use GRUB. Turns out that's not working either. It seems that the MBR isn't even being read at all. 

I don't really know what info is needed to diagnose this problem, but here's what I'm running:

ASUS Maximus VI Hero

i7-4770K

MSI Geforce GTX 760

Any ideas?

I also have two SSDs installed: one split up into three partitions (for Mac, Windows, not yet installed, and Ubuntu) and the other being a running version of Mountain Lion for backup in case something goes awry. I've had to use it a few times already, so it's proven it's worth. 

I also just tried using the latest version of Chameleon. I still can't boot without the USB, although it isn't crashing when booting like Chimera was.

hello

read the rules

http://www.insanelym...ort-tonymacx86/

good hack

I installed my system before I came to this forum, before I knew the rules. I'm just running through what I used to set up my system, and the fact that InsanelyMac looks down upon the installer I used doesn't change the fact that it is what was used. 

In fact, I tried a few different installers. Tonymac's was the only one that would boot into the installer. This, along with my lack of knowledge of why his material is not approved, is why I went through that installation.

The way I see it, booting into the system is no longer an issue regarding what installer was used (since the installation works fine), but rather what bootloader is installed, where it's installed, and how it's installed. This is what I'm asking for help with. 

What is the most common installer used here? If this could be an installer issue, I don't mind starting from scratch again, especially since I have my backup drive. I've

unsuccessfully tried myHack (wouldn't load the installer) and Kakewalk is not supported by my hardware.

As for bootloaders, I've tried Tonymac's Chimera and Chameleon. I'm following all the steps to write it to the MBR, so I can't figure out what's going on.