IntelHD3000 - ML - White tint Internal Display

mehdymehdy

13 posts in this topic

Hello smart guys and girls. 

I have a samsung qx-411 intel hd 3000 ID 80860126. my laptop works perfect with ML and boots very quick. my screen res is 1366x768.

I use dsdt.aml and macbookpro.8.1, GraphicsEnabler yes/no works both way i get QE/CI. I can connect to any external monitor and it works fine vga hdmi. 

Problem. my internal screen is correct resolution and QE/CI enabled. i can change resolutions and my internal display EDID is correctly picked up. but when ever it boots in to log in screen there is a white layer of tint as if a layer of the screen is not functioning properly and 

giving constant light. i've enabled brightness and it works great, i also have screen blinker installed to get maximum brightness. I also tried patching dual link to dsdt and i can boot in and same results. white tint on the screen, if i push the screen further back i can see better but still it's a foggy white tint if i look straight at the screen and i can't see much unless i push screen all the way back. I tried playing around with intelgraphicspowermanagement kext and no results. i removed all graphic kexts including appleintelsnbgraphicsfb and i don't get the white tint anymore but as soon as i install the FB white tint is there. 

If anyone has got the same issue and know of any patch or anyway to make the screen work properly please share. another thing i've tried is EDID override. so basically i've exhausted all possible solutions. I don't know what else i can do to make this screen work without White tint. Thanks for reading.

Oh i forgot to mention that my laptop uses only Intel hd 3000 not the optimus technology.

• 2 weeks later...

I have the same problem :(

Samsung NP900X3A-B01, Intel HD 3000 ID 80860116

I'm also looking for a solution to this problem

i hear you, it seems that this problem is only with samsung display panel. i'm just guessing but as i understand lcd screens have a layer which liquid crystal and this layer allows how much light should go through. and at this layer the screen is not functioning properly. now thats being said i only see that the problem is with appleintelsnbgraphicsfb. because i did many testing and it all let me into one conclusion that when ever the fb loads the screen shows up with to much contrast . it has nothing to do with brightness because i can control brightness and it works perfect. everything else inside the screen is working properly and i can attach hdmi to external screen. so it's all good except this contrast or error in gamma. i don't know what would be the fix but i'm sure it's from the framebuffer. also i did many changes to my dsdt.aml none of them made a change. so hopefully someone with experience in editing framebuffer can help us because the screen is detected i even did DIDE override and all the information is present. anyway this problem is been around for about 2 years as i read in some posts so far no help. so if anyone can help us it would be great.

• 5 weeks later...

I have the same problem with a Surface Pro and a HD 4000. In my searching it appears that this can affect both HD 3000 and HD 4000 in either AppleIntelFrameBufferSNB or AppleIntelFrameBufferCapri respectively. However there is one common thing it appears and it is that all the devices that exhibit the problem are using Samsung displays as previously mentioned. It appears it might be related to something in the EDID but I have not been able to determine what it is. If you reduce the gamma in the EDID it helps a little bit, but not enough and appears to be the wrong path (white point data?). 

It also appears that it might be related to the loading of AppleBackLightDisplay, as if I fool my device into thinking the monitor is a desktop monitor and load just AppleDisplay the problem does not appear, however I lose the ability to sleep the computer due to the monitor, and I am unable to reduce the brightness.

In my case I can do this from using platform-id 0166000A on a hd 4000 and injecting my EDID. More or less you need to make the port configuration in the FrameBuffer kext match a DisplayPort and not a LVDS for the device id you are using. 

I would really like to figure out what the proper way to fix this is. Maybe if there is some EDID guru out there they might know.

I have the same problem with a Surface Pro and a HD 4000. In my searching it appears that this can affect both HD 3000 and HD 4000 in either AppleIntelFrameBufferSNB or AppleIntelFrameBufferCapri respectively. However there is one common thing it appears and it is that all the devices that exhibit the problem are using Samsung displays as previously mentioned. It appears it might be related to something in the EDID but I have not been able to determine what it is. If you reduce the gamma in the EDID it helps a little bit, but not enough and appears to be the wrong path (white point data?). 

It also appears that it might be related to the loading of AppleBackLightDisplay, as if I fool my device into thinking the monitor is a desktop monitor and load just AppleDisplay the problem does not appear, however I lose the ability to sleep the computer due to the monitor, and I am unable to reduce the brightness.

In my case I can do this from using platform-id 0166000A on a hd 4000 and injecting my EDID. More or less you need to make the port configuration in the FrameBuffer kext match a DisplayPort and not a LVDS for the device id you are using. 

I would really like to figure out what the proper way to fix this is. Maybe if there is some EDID guru out there they might know.

hey thank you for writing here, makes the page more active. alright here is the deal, so far i can confirm that this has nothing to do with snbframebuffer the driver is loaded and everything works perfect EDID is fully recognized injected or not. i'll tell you why, because in my case only when i'm looking straight at the screen i see white tint and it's hard to see text and pictures, but if i push the screen back that is to lean back the screen or look at the screen from the bottom angle than everything is clear and nice and there is no tint. so this tint is some sort of bright led which is being beamed through the screen from the bottom and as you look straight it makes it hard to see and as you look from a bottom angle it's clear. 

so i'm not sure if this can be fixed by editing the EDID itself, i mean is there anyway to edit EDID,  did you find something. If we can reduce the intensity of the led beamed into the screen or maybe correct the way it is beamed than it might be solved . 

finally i would like remind again that this is only with samsung screens. even people who bought external samsung screen to hook their real mac on having the same issue with tinted problem so it's got to be the design and how led is set to work in samsung screens. as for the tint being yellow or reddish that can be fixed by calibration. thank you.

Yes thats exactly the same issue I have. Ive tried making osx think its a AppleDisplay rather than an AppleBackLightDisplay via the use of an edited EDID and that did nothing to fix the problem. The problem goes away as soon as you disable the SNBFramebufferdriver, but then you loose QE/CI, screen resoloution.etc.

If i tilt the screen back like you said, then it's fine. If i take a picture of the screen with my phone then you can't really see the white tint and it just looks normal. 

I assume that a proper EDID edit is required, however I am not that experienced with EDID editing. This may be fixable with a DSDT EDID edit (Maybe make it ignore the EDID from the display?) but I still need to have a look at that.

For now, im just going to fix the vga/hdmi ports and use my laptop from an external monitor.

so i'm not sure if this can be fixed by editing the EDID itself, i mean is there anyway to edit EDID,  did you find something. If we can reduce the intensity of the led beamed into the screen or maybe correct the way it is beamed than it might be solved . 

Yes you can edit an EDID. I have been attempting different edits to mine (like the gamma) to try and resolve this. There is a Windows program called "Phoenix EDID Designer" which I use for this. It can be a little tedious since you need to format the hex string in a way which the application will load it, then back to the format for DSDT injection or Base64 for a boot.plist, but it works. 

I did not realize people with external Samsung monitors were also having this issue. Have they attempted to file a bug report with Apple? Obviously if I tried I would be ignored based on the situation, however if I had a monitor I was attaching to my MBP and it had this problem I would definitely be seeking support.

Yes you can edit an EDID. I have been attempting different edits to mine (like the gamma) to try and resolve this. There is a Windows program called "Phoenix EDID Designer" which I use for this. It can be a little tedious since you need to format the hex string in a way which the application will load it, then back to the format for DSDT injection or Base64 for a boot.plist, but it works. 

I did not realize people with external Samsung monitors were also having this issue. Have they attempted to file a bug report with Apple? Obviously if I tried I would be ignored based on the situation, however if I had a monitor I was attaching to my MBP and it had this problem I would definitely be seeking support.

I was able to change the values for gamma and white with phoenix EDID designer. and i injected it but it didn't make any difference. one thing i noticed is that when i click to view the display profile, and go through the information provided by colorsync utility, the gamma is set to 2.4 and not to 2.2, although this display profile is created by the EDID from my laptop's screen which i injected in DSDT and override in display folder. so i guess what i'm trying to say is every display profile which is recognized is set to or locked to gamma 2.4 and my screen requires 2.2 as i went through the information in windows and know that my screen works with 2.2 standard gamma.So is there anyway to force the graphic accelerator or the framebuffer to do 2.2. because i don't think the EDID is being able to change that. Thank you guys.

ok guys, i just went inside windows and opened windows color management and tried to calibrate my screen. and i wanted to see if i increase the gamma is it going to be the same problem i'm facing in osx, which is when i bend the screen to the back i can see clear and when bend it toward me i can't see anything. and this was true. when increased the gamma just like in osx when you look from above the screen the screen is very white and you can't see anything but if you bend it back and look from bottom view the screen is clear. so it is the gamma issue. i did this just to confirm. now i'm having issue in osx i can not force reduce gamma and it is set to 2.4 i tried changing it in edid but that did not help. anyone knows how i can force reduce gamma thanks. 

It's not a gamma issue. When I did what you described, blacks on my screen were still black and even then it wasn't the same effect. On OSX the blacks also have the 'overlay'. I have tried to reduce gamma in OSX and even then that doesnt do anything.

It is as other people have said an issue with the screen where one of the panes is at 100% brightness or something. Its an issue that can only be solved with hacking the framebuffer rather than EDID edits in my opinion

It's not a gamma issue. When I did what you described, blacks on my screen were still black and even then it wasn't the same effect. On OSX the blacks also have the 'overlay'. I have tried to reduce gamma in OSX and even then that doesnt do anything.

It is as other people have said an issue with the screen where one of the panes is at 100% brightness or something. Its an issue that can only be solved with hacking the framebuffer rather than EDID edits in my opinion

Yes I agree unfortunately the issue is not from EDID nor it's from gamma because when i calibrate the screen for some reason when i set gamma very low the screens turns very white and when i set gamma very high like 2.6 the screen is darker. so it's not right because when i set it lower than 2 it should be darker not brighter, and when i set it high it should be brighter not darker. but anyway in either case dark or bright i still see the white tint and that made me believe that this white tint or whatever it is, is not from screen setting or EDID, it's just that this samsung screen is not compatible with the driver built for OSX. it is in windows though. you can search on google and see that people with external samsung monitor have the same problem. so i guess samsung screens are not friendly with OSX. also i'm scared to change my laptop's screen because i went through this once and it was a headeach no screen  i ordered worked until i ordered the right one for this laptop which really made me angry because other laptops i owned would work with any screen simply they only required similar ports.

so i guess it's all came down to modifying the FB, which in my case have no idea where to start from. i guess we are stuck again. :D anyway happy days.

• 5 years later...