ASUS Sabertooth X79 - Ivy Bridge-E - 4930k

mr. west

220 posts in this topic

Hello! So I have gone about installing Mavericks in what you guys would probably call a clumsy way... Im new to this whole Hackentoshing thing and am learning as I go. My system specs are px79pro, Intel core i7-4820k ivy bridge-e, and GTX 770 OC. I was able to create a bootable USB drive and boot into the installer. I was even able to install mavericks and copy the modded kernel onto my SSD through terminal. BUT, upon reboot I get black screen... Oh and in the installer I had VERY low FPS, like 2, It was like a stop motion computer! I was getting no where with that so I decided to try something different. I created a partition on my iMac and installed Mavericks 10.9.2 and created a time machine backup. Once I had done that I booted up the installer and restored the system from the time machine backup I had created. I was finally able to boot into Mavericks. YES!... but no, my celebrating was cut short by the stop motion like screen that greeted me. So, I've got a vanilla install of osx mavericks 10.9.2 and I'm having graphics issues, I have no idea what is causing them and no idea how to fix them. I would be very appreciative if you guys could help me out. 

Thanks in advance, Leumas

P.S. One other thought, I have windows 7 installed on another SSD and it is working just fine. The issues I am experiencing are not hardware related, I hope...

• 3 weeks later...

well i have tried everything and i still get unusable audio that skips and crackles. I'm talking about USB audio not working with a 4930k processor installed. I am not interested in onboard audio whatsoever. If i swap the 4930k to a 3930k then the audio works perfectly, no kext changes, no changes at all, just swap the cpu and audio works. The usb audio device is a Apogee one for Mac and iPad. I was wondering if there is some sort of irc channel i can join where i can work together with someone to solve this issue. I've found its been posted a few times over the net but no solutions.

well i have tried everything and i still get unusable audio that skips and crackles. I'm talking about USB audio not working with a 4930k processor installed. I am not interested in onboard audio whatsoever. If i swap the 4930k to a 3930k then the audio works perfectly, no kext changes, no changes at all, just swap the cpu and audio works. The usb audio device is a Apogee one for Mac and iPad. I was wondering if there is some sort of irc channel i can join where i can work together with someone to solve this issue. I've found its been posted a few times over the net but no solutions.

Did you enable onboard audio. Not enabling onboard audio can cause issues with some Applications. 

hi guys. i have a 99% working hack pro.

i followed rampagedev guide (thank you andrew). i'm just waiting for the pm solution and i believe that rampagedew will upload it soon!.

exept this, everything is working!

sleep, FaceTime, iMessage, all peripherals and thanks to nvidia, even my gtx780 ti! what a great stable system!

Hi guys. i have almost completed my shopping for the hackintosh, bought an i7 4930k and a x79-up4. my build is primarily for music production. After seeing quite a few people reporting about sound issues and no one actually reporting back with a fix, i am in a doubt now. Should i try to exchange the 4930k for an 3930k? Not sure if i can exchange it though... :( 

hey gntlbee,

my audio rig here: 4930k, x79 deluxe, 64go ram, hd6870, fireface uc, working flawlessly with lpx and 10.9.2, onboard audio not enabled.

i used rampagedev's nfo and mobo dmg, great tools and help

best

Again... Not enabling onboard audio can cause issues with some Applications. 

hi guys. i have a 99% working hack pro.

i followed rampagedev guide (thank you andrew). i'm just waiting for the pm solution and i believe that rampagedew will upload it soon!.

exept this, everything is working!

sleep, FaceTime, iMessage, all peripherals and thanks to nvidia, even my gtx780 ti! what a great stable system!

In the Beta folder on the DMG for the past week or so... 

hey andrew, would you care to be more specific about the issues one might come across if they don't enable onboard audio?

are there a lot? are they erratic or systematic? thx

Some applications need services that load with onboard audio. That simple. 

Did you enable onboard audio. Not enabling onboard audio can cause issues with some Applications. 

i tried both with onboard audio enabled and disabled. no dice. what im not understanding is why audio works perfectly with a 3930k cpu installed.

link to another people with the same problem. (crackly delayed sound)

POST #22 - http://www.tonymacx86.com/user-builds/112565-eriks-2013-hack-pro-asus-sabertooth-x79-i7-4930k-32gb-1866-ram-3.html 

POST #1 - http://www.tonymacx86.com/mavericks-desktop-guides/125394-success-robbies-asus-sabertooth-x79-i7-4930k-msi-gtx-780-dual-boot-hacktintosh.html

http://www.tonymacx86.com/audio/126004-help-crackly-janky-audio-osx-mavericks-sabertooth-x79-i7-4930k-gtx-780-usb-audio-motherboard-audio.html#post770149

these problems with audio are when im using my 4930k. i have ran months with a 3930k with not a single problem with audio. its something to do with the 4930k imo.

EDIT: i finally got it working with chameleon rev 2377, but now i can't get my 4930k to hold its over clock. i only get 3.4ghz

i tried both with onboard audio enabled and disabled. no dice. what im not understanding is why audio works perfectly with a 3930k cpu installed.

link to another people with the same problem. (crackly delayed sound)

POST #22 - http://www.tonymacx86.com/user-builds/112565-eriks-2013-hack-pro-asus-sabertooth-x79-i7-4930k-32gb-1866-ram-3.html 

POST #1 - http://www.tonymacx86.com/mavericks-desktop-guides/125394-success-robbies-asus-sabertooth-x79-i7-4930k-msi-gtx-780-dual-boot-hacktintosh.html

http://www.tonymacx86.com/audio/126004-help-crackly-janky-audio-osx-mavericks-sabertooth-x79-i7-4930k-gtx-780-usb-audio-motherboard-audio.html#post770149

these problems with audio are when im using my 4930k. i have ran months with a 3930k with not a single problem with audio. its something to do with the 4930k imo.

EDIT: i finally got it working with chameleon rev 2377, but now i can't get my 4930k to hold its over clock. i only get 3.4ghz

hi... What board are you using? 

All the people i've noticed with this audio issue are using Asus Sabertooth x79. Can it be a mobo specific issue? What do you think? 

Happy to know you've fixed it somehow...:)

Hey, Rampage, I followed your guide (but didn't use some things), and heres my build btw:

OSX Mavericks Niresh Distro 10.9

i7 4930k @4.25Ghz (via that blck {censored})

Asus Rampage IV Extreme Mobo

Corsair Vengeance LP 1600MHz Ram

256GB SSD <----- Boot Disk

2TB Seagate HDD <------ System reserved + Unallocated, To lazy :\

160GB PS3 Toshiba HDD <----- Windows 8 Boot Disk

So for me to run OSX, I had to replace the mach_kernal files. I did that through windows with Paragon which lets me edit the HFS partition files.

I installed it, Got my GTX 780 on GK110B working with OpenCL and Cuda and everything, Used your DMG for the kext's and the dsdt (IM a noob< I don't Know what its called, the STDT or something is what its actually called), and I can't get iMessage and iCloud working, but everything else works :\ 

Also running [url=&quot;http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/&quot;]#####[/url] and installing stuff from it will cause my system to get EXTREMELY CHOPPY VIDEO and its just like 2fps, so I don't use [url=&quot;http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/&quot;]#####[/url], how ever I don't have anything to install anyways.

I've done all the methods so far Such as:

- en0 method, where you delete the network file plist

- FileNVRAM Causes Kernel Panics So I have to Delete that

- Updated Chameleon 

- Reinstalled drivers

- Changed serial number with Chameleon Wizard

What am I doing wrong ;(, I even tried to copy my MBP's settings (MBP 11,1), and it didn't work either ;( <------ What I meant by copy was use the same serial and stuff.

Hey, Rampage, I followed your guide (but didn't use some things), and heres my build btw:

OSX Mavericks Niresh Distro 10.9

i7 4930k @4.25Ghz (via that blck {censored})

Asus Rampage IV Extreme Mobo

Corsair Vengeance LP 1600MHz Ram

256GB SSD <----- Boot Disk

2TB Seagate HDD <------ System reserved + Unallocated, To lazy :\

160GB PS3 Toshiba HDD <----- Windows 8 Boot Disk

So for me to run OSX, I had to replace the mach_kernal files. I did that through windows with Paragon which lets me edit the HFS partition files.

I installed it, Got my GTX 780 on GK110B working with OpenCL and Cuda and everything, Used your DMG for the kext's and the dsdt (IM a noob< I don't Know what its called, the STDT or something is what its actually called), and I can't get iMessage and iCloud working, but everything else works :\ 

Also running [url=&quot;http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/&quot;]#####[/url] and installing stuff from it will cause my system to get EXTREMELY CHOPPY VIDEO and its just like 2fps, so I don't use [url=&quot;http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/&quot;]#####[/url], how ever I don't have anything to install anyways.

I've done all the methods so far Such as:

- en0 method, where you delete the network file plist

- FileNVRAM Causes Kernel Panics So I have to Delete that

- Updated Chameleon 

- Reinstalled drivers

- Changed serial number with Chameleon Wizard

What am I doing wrong ;(, I even tried to copy my MBP's settings (MBP 11,1), and it didn't work either ;( <------ What I meant by copy was use the same serial and stuff.

You answered your own question and created your own mess by NOT following my guide and apparently doing everything opposite of my guide so why are you asking me? 

Follow my guides to the letter. Use my DMG as intended. If you do that the system will work fine. Else buy a real mac. 

• Like 1

You answered your own question and created your own mess by NOT following my guide and apparently doing everything opposite of my guide so why are you asking me? 

Follow my guides to the letter. Use my DMG as intended. If you do that the system will work fine. Else buy a real mac. 

Can you tell me what I'm doing wrong? When I load the iso from your forum, what happens is that it will say something about system uptime nano seconds and stuff, and only narishs distro works, I even tried to make it through my MBP, but that didn't work :(, Everything but iCloud and iMessage works.

Can you tell me what I'm doing wrong?

Can you tell me what I'm doing wrong? When I load the iso from your forum, what happens is that it will say something about system uptime nano seconds and stuff, and only narishs distro works, I even tried to make it through my MBP, but that didn't work :(, Everything but iCloud and iMessage works.

Can you tell me what I'm doing wrong?

You did not follow my install guide to start...

First of all, for 4930k (Ivy Bridge-E) you should only be using 10.9.2+ whose kernel supports IVBE. I've had alot of trouble trying to do a clean install using Clover but Chameleon/myHack works well. The rampagedev page has good info for Chameleon (but the only way I could get Clover to work in UEFI was to install Clover over the Chameleon install ... and into a FAT formatted EFI partition.

• 1 month later...

Hi,

Im having trouble installing Mavericks(10.9.1) on my machine(sabertooth, 4930, 64gb ram, gtx 680). 

What I've done so far:

- Downloaded Mavericks(10.9.1) trough App Store.

- Downloaded MyHack and installed the installer on a flash drive.

- Replaced the mach_kernel on the flash drive trough Terminal. 

- Disconnected all hardware from my machine(except mouse, keyboard and ssd).

- Plugged the flash drive and tried to booth with: -v -f GraphicsEnabler=No cpus=1 npci=0x2000 

After this the computer hangs for a while on a grey screen, than it goes black...hangs there for 1 minute, it asks for my language, after I select it I get "The OSx Installation Couldn't be Completed" and it freezes there. 

Im sure Im doing something stupid but no idea what. Can someone help me? Do I need to do something on the bios?

THANKS!

You need to redo your myHack installation. I had the same issue, I suspect my pc went to sleep and knocked something off the counters.

• 1 month later...