Asus G75VX - Mavericks

NiPeGun

17 posts in this topic

---

This simple guide is not made for you to have a fully functional G75VX Hackintosh but to solve the main issues about reaching the desktop in Mavericks. So, to install Mavericks on this laptop follow this steps:

---

01 - Inside the file attached you will find a torrent to download a DMG image that some "hacker" did from an original Mavericks 10.9 but customized for this Notebook.

02 - Clone the DMG to an 8GB pendrive using disk utility. (Maybe you want to set the keyboard layout of the /extra/ folder of the pendrive just cloned from spanish to your language)

03 - Go to the BIOS and set:

Secure boot control = DISABLED

Launch CSM= ENABLED

Boot priority always from pendrive first

04 . Make sure the disk where you are going to install Mavericks is MBR

05 - Boot the pendrive and Install Mavericks. The system will reboot automatically

06 - Once again in chameleon partition selection screen, simply shutdown the machine.

07 . Extract the HD and attach it to an USB enclosure and put it into a Mac or Hackintosh.

08 - Navigate to /System/Libraries/Extensions of the just installed Mavericks partition and move NVDAResMan.kext to / (Just move it, don´t delete it)

09 - Install all the mandatory .pkg files in /_Stuff/Kexts/ folder of the pendrive and install all of them to the recent installed partition setting the location in each .pkg installation.

10 - Boot again from the pendrive and rechoose the mavericks partition you just installed and configure the system.

Untill here Mavericks boots correctly when you fire it from the pendrive. If you want to boot Mavericks from de HD you just go to the /_Stuff/BootLoader/ folder of the pendrive and install chameleon to the new Mavericks partition

Mavericks G75VX.zip

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

THINGS TO SOLVE:

1 - We need to activate graphics acceleration on this notebook.
2 - If you have the Atheros wlan card that came with this notebook, it never going to work. Change the wlan card.
​3 - Keyboard backlight works by injecting DSDT
4 - A big etcetera

NOTES TO HELP WITH THINGS TO SOLVE

1- With NVDAResman.kext on the extensions folder, the system will never reach the desktop. In order to reach the desktop it is mandatory, at list for now, to delete the kext. So, deleting this kext leaves the system without the ability to have graphics acceleration. We already tried to modify the kext but it solved nothing.

2 - Since this notebook has a 120hz display, and the HDMI port is not 1.4b, but 1.4a, the connection between the graphics card and the display MUST be displayport or DVI dual link. HDMI 1.4b can output 1080p at 120hz. HDMI 1.4a can't.

3 - The integrated graphics (HD4000) in this notebook is completely disabled cause it can´t manage 120hz and maybe cause a lot of thing more that asus "thinks". You can´t activate it no matter what.

4 - The VBIOS is merged into the BIOS file in a way that Asus is acostumed to. So, in order to extract and use the vbios you need to extract the BIOS first.

• 3 weeks later...

That's interesting since chimera is just a well organized branch of chameleon. I think the problem is that the bios and vbios are smashed into one and the boot loader can't distinguish them. 

I have obtained copies of the latest bios (206) and vbios. If we can find a way to remove the vbios from the bios and direct the boot loader to read the modified bios file instead of the actual onboard bios, then we can use the 'UseNvidiaROM=Yes' option and use the vbios file. 

After this, patching AGPM and the nvidia kexts should be easy.

Just found something: http://wiki.osx86project.org/wiki/index.php/DSDT

Feel kind of stupid since I've been using DSDT's for some time and never realized that that's what they did. 

So we need to extract the dsdt and then edit it. 

• 1 month later...

Interesting side note: There's a succesfull 100% working G750JX Mavericks install with full graphics support and acceleration described here: http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?39406-ASUS-G750JX-OSX-Mavericks-INSTALL-GUIDE.

What makes this interesting is that the G750JX has overclocked GTX670MX and similar asus bios. But why does this work there but not here?

I also succesfully got to Mavercick desktop without NVDAResMan.kext and do get an error describing 'unable to shadow vbios' if I put it back. Do we yet know what this is about?

Great work guys!

• 2 weeks later...

Guys, there's a lot work done yet about this issue and we still can't solveit. It seems to be a matter of displays. With NVDAResman the system indeed boots correctly, but you can only access the desktop via screen sharing cause when osx loads NVDAResman it can not detect any display. But the system is indeed booted to desktop already.<br />The thing to solve here is to tell osx to use a sort of customized configuration of displays conectors to bypass automatic detection of them. Even if we end jyst with only LCD working.

• 2 weeks later...

Can you make an installation guide to help me install Maverick on my ASUS G75VW?

Check out this post I made:

http://forum.osxlatitude.com/index.php?/topic/6182-asus-g75vw/

To make a long story short, if you have the 670m, you can get graphics accel (but with the flash glitch in mavericks mentioned in the link above, I recommend sticking with mountain lion for now). If you have the 660m, you'll be stuck in the same situdation as the people with the 670mx here.

You will also have to replace your wifi card if you have the atheros one with another. I recommend the BCM4352 which works oob in windows and with an easy fix in mac.Here's a good place to buy it (best price I've seen anywhere):

http://www.embeddedworks.net/wlan507.html

To get it working, follow the instructions on this post (I used the kext method):

http://forum.osxlatitude.com/index.php?/topic/2767-broadcom-80211-ac-wifi-and-bluetooth-combo-card-for-osx/

Also, I recommend posting any more quesitons on this post as it's for your computer: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/285143-installing-mountain-lion-on-asus-g75vw/

Guys, there's a lot work done yet about this issue and we still can't solveit. It seems to be a matter of displays. With NVDAResman the system indeed boots correctly, but you can only access the desktop via screen sharing cause when osx loads NVDAResman it can not detect any display. But the system is indeed booted to desktop already.<br />The thing to solve here is to tell osx to use a sort of customized configuration of displays conectors to bypass automatic detection of them. Even if we end jyst with only LCD working.

Unfortunately, the warranty people couldn't fix my vx so I got a refund and bought the vw with the 670m so it works for the most part. This issue sounds like something that could be solved with a graphics dsdt patch.

• 1 month later...

Hello guys, are you patch appelHDA on Mavericks?

I installed new version voodoHDA 2.8 but it doesn't work

lan card  doesn't work (it works native on 10.8.4)

• 4 weeks later...

I have a G75VX-BHI7N11. I noticed that the use of Clover seems to have sort of abandoned. I've managed to get it to load on an external USB drive and in a scenario where I replaced the Windows Bootloader on my Secondary Drive with Clover in a direct rename.

Has anyone had any luck unlocking the BIOS to solve the EFI file restriction issue? 

I also took a stab at grabbing the files for Mavericks, but it seems there are no seeds that I can connect to.

• 3 months later...

Does any 10.8.X version works perfectly for G75VX ? 

mainly including hardware acceleration...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

still no graphics accel? it's a shame, being such a powerfull laptop and not being able to enjoy a full OSX experience on it is such let down...