Need help changed my MOBO now cant boot...

cdnGHOST

7 posts in this topic

Had a working system running the system on my hardware listed here...

CPU: Intel i7-2600k 3.20GHz
MOBO: Gigabyte GA-Z68MA-DH2-B3 BIOS: U1b
RAM: AMD Performance Edition 4x4GB DDR3 @ 1600MHz
Video: AMD Radeon HD 5870
HDD: Patriot Pyro SE 120GB SSD, 2 x 2TB Segate HDDs

Now only change is a new motherboard

a GA-Z77N-wifi board and i transfered everything over...

is there an easy way to get this up and running again or am i screwed and need to start all over??

When you say "transferred everything over" what did that entail exactly?

What happens when you boot OS X on the new mobo?

But yes, I don't know about easy but unlike with Windows, it is possible, I recently moved my 10.8.x install from a Core 2 Duo P45/ICH10R system to a Core i5/Z77 system without a hitch, after setting up everything for the new hardware everything works fine. It's the same drive.

I do have a partition with a clean 10.8.x installer to work from, this is a bonus in a situation like this.

You *must* clear out the kernel/kext caches (see below) and make sure there are no 3rd party or modified Apple kernel extensions left in /S/L/E that are specific to your old motherboard.

Obviously if you were using a DSDT in /Extra and other things specific to your old mobo in /Extra (like bus or memory speed settings in smbios.plist for example) you need to get rid of those as well.

Also get rid of any kernel extensions that aren't strictly necessary for OS X to run such as drivers for hardware monitoring software and the like. Basically, go back to a bare minimum of modifications so as to minimize the chance of conflicts, this will help when troubleshooting later. Once you can get the OS to boot on your new mobo, even if it's just in safe mode, that'll be your starting point for getting everything (audio, LAN, whatever) working again.

Obviously don't delete fakesmc.kext as that is the minimum requirement for OS X to boot on any Intel PC.

The caches are at /System/Library/Caches/com.apple.kext.caches/Startup - just trash everything in there. You may have to boot with UseKernelCache=no until the caches have been rebuilt, I'm not sure if that's necessary but it can't hurt.

Most Z77 boards require a BIOS patch for native power management to work. I don't know if this applies to Gigabyte boards as well, generally they tend to be more compatible.

Please post more information, there is no way to help you if you can't be more specific about what's happening and what you did.

• Like 2

Ok so new problem... may not even continue now :(

turned on my system today after adding 2 sticks of corsair dominator platinum ram

and my motherboard shorted out by one of the screw stands it sits on.... big puff of smoke.... 

will my CPU ram and video card all be dead now>??

its a GA-Z77N wifi board... i am a little nervous... that i just lost a grand worth of parts....

please advise

Good to hear... yeah it shorted out right at the standoff .... what would casue this? been building computers for close to 20 years and have never see this before......

Hope to get a new board and rebuild soon......