What version of OS X is best suited for my laptop and what all features can I expect to work?

przndoom5

4 posts in this topic

Hello guys,

New here, just joined. Have been reading about OSx86 and hackintoshes since quite some time, frequently read topics here but this is the first one I'm posting. I have a spare laptop, Lenovo R61, with specs nearly identical, if not completely, to the Late 2007 Macbook. Quite old, I know. Here are the specs:
Intel Core 2 Duo T7300 2.2 GHz

2GB DDR2 RAM

120GB HDD

Intel X3100 with 384MB VRAM

Now, on the wiki page I can see that highest possible version of OS X that the Macbook-equivalent of my laptop can run is Lion. So I think it's safe to presume that my laptop will too support it. But what would the performance be like? Can anyone suggest which version would be able to provide the smoothest user experience on my laptop? My laptop's touchpad doesn't support multi-touch, so gestures are out of question I guess.

Also, what all features can I expect to work? Or which ones I can't? Any tips regarding installation or user experience are welcome too and I am grateful to everyone who tries to help.  :)

Kudos!  :D

Yes, you can use Lion, but not Mountain Lion because of your graphics chip which is no longer supported there. 

For installation guides look into the corresponding section of the forum.

Which of all the features and function will work and how well will depend on the exact hardware configuration (LAN/WiFi chip, cardreader chip, etc...) and will most likely require some tinkering and tweaking. If you have a working Windows system on that laptop at the moment you can use Aida64 to find out the exact models of these and other controller chips and post them here for your and our reference.

Also, some DSDT editing might be required. If you dont feel confident enough to do that yourself you can ask in the DSDT section if someone can do that for you.

And depending on how you use your system, upgrading the RAM to 4GB may or may not be nessecary

• Like 1

I suggest to install Snow 10.6.8 and do all the securitiy updates for this system.

Lion is a resource eater and therefore slower. I had it on my MBP with Core 2 Duo, before it died the nvidia gfx dead.

Upgrade Ram 4 GB seems to be usefull.

Get an original 10 6.? (don't no the which version was the last complete release) and download the necessary comboupdates to upgrade to 10 6.8.

Here in the Downloads get Pandora. You are guided with tips throu the pre- and postinstall.

With the search funktion you can surely find many topics with similar builds.

Have fun.

• Like 2

Thank you Drake and Styrian for your replies :) My laptop is not with me right now so I can't post the additional hardware details just yet. Nevertheless, I will try to find out more about the compatibility of my hardware on my own. :D Also, I have decided that I will be installing Snow Leopard, and would update it to the 10.6.8 version. However, upgrading the RAM doesn't seem to be an option for me   :worried_anim: Will 2 GB be enough? And is there any way to assign virtual memory in Mac, like swap partition in Linux or Readyboost in Windows? (Although I believe swap would be more effective since my laptop doesn't have USB 3.0 ports). Again, thanks a heap guys for helping! Much appreciated.  :)

EDIT : OK, I looked up about the swap feature and found my answer. This answers it all. :) So I'll be marking this as solved. Thanks for your help guys! :D