Kext Beast vs Kext Utility

roses

6 posts in this topic

Just a quickie:

As a noob, I'm not sure of the difference between Kext Beast and Kext Utility. I believe the former is from TonyMac and the latter is original Apple software.

In my very short (so far) Hackintosh journey, I've been mostly using KU, as it is already there in the Utilities folder. However, on a recent installation (can't remember which one - done about 40 or 50 in last few months!! - I break most of them and have to start over), I was a bit shocked to find no KU. As it was an ethernet card driver kext I wanted to install (and therefore had no internet access on my Mac), I had to whizz over to my PC, d/l KB and install the kext that way. Job done, and I couldn't see any difference except maybe KB was slightly quicker.

What are the pro & cons, advantages & disadvantages of each utility?

Are there situations where you should use one rather than the other?

You should at first read this http://www.insanelym...ort-tonymacx86/  and the other in the New User Lounge pinned topics.

You do better to have a look at this guide: http://www.insanelym...-for-beginners/ to learn in the goal of this something about OSX and installing it on PC's. You should also have a look here under Downloads at Pandora. You get guided trough the install options with tips.

I personally prefer KextWizzard and also ChameleonWizzard. They are included in Pandora package.

Have fun

• Like 1

Place your kexts in Extensions/  

Authenticate 

open terminal

sudo -s  

chown -R 0:0 /System/Library/Extensions/Your.Kext

chmod -R 755 /System/Library/Extensions/Your.kext

touch /System/Library/Extensions

rm -rf /Applications/Utilities/KextUtility

Place your kexts in Extensions/  

Authenticate 

open terminal

sudo -s  

chown -R 0:0 /System/Library/Extensions/Your.Kext

chmod -R 755 /System/Library/Extensions/Your.kext

touch /System/Library/Extensions

rm -rf /Applications/Utilities/KextUtility

Sorry Joe75, as a noob I am EXTREMELY uncomfortable doing anything with Unix commands in the Terminal window. So that's a no-no AFAIAC.

Back in the day, I could do a bit of DOS, and have been known to put in a few Linux commands, but Unix completely throws me. Yes, I know it's powerful. But it can also break your install (read my post in another section of this forum about trying to solve my no-internet-on-Dell-Optiplex problem) as I know to my cost.

And anyway, what's the point of having a GUI if we spend most of our day sudo'ing and bash'ing (the latter is what I would literally and physically like to do to my Hackintosh most days............most of the TIME most days in fact)?

• Like 2