You knew it was coming.. P8P67 Pro Install Guide...

^Andy^

59 posts in this topic

Afternoon folks, here we go again :)

You will need 3 things in order to build this usb stick successfully..

Ok Moving on..

• First step (pretty obvious) Boot into Snow Leopard, Lion or Mountain Lion
  • Use disk utility to format your USB stick or drive as mac os extended with GUID partition table
  • double click your Mavericks DP1.dmg image if that's what you have, open the image and extract the 'Install OS X 10.9 Developer Preview.app' to your desktop (if you already have the app file you can skip this obviously)
  • Right click the 'Install OS X Developer Preview.app' from your desktop and select 'Show Package contents'
  • Run ShowAllFiles (to show hidden files),
  • Open 'Contents/SharedSupport' and double click 'InstallESD.dmg'
  • right click on the hidden 'BaseSystem.dmg' and select 'open with disk utility',
  • In disk utility look to the bottom left to find 'BaseSystem.dmg', right click it and select 'Restore',
  • Drag your formatted USB stick or drive into the 'destination' box, untick 'erase destination' and click 'Restore',
  • Go for a beer, coffee or whatever takes your fancy as this will take a while!
  • Once restore is complete go to the system, installation folder on the usb stick or drive and delete the 'Packages' alias
  • right click your 'Install OS X Developer Preview.app' from your desktop and select 'Show Package contents' and open 'Contents/SharedSupport'
  • Open the InstallESD.dmg and copy the 'Packages' folder to your usb stick or drive to replace the alias that you deleted in step 11,
  • WAIT for Step 13 to complete and then run the downloaded 'P8P67 Pro USB Installer' package and select your usb drive as the target - this will make the drive bootable and install everything onto the drive to allow you to install on your P8P67 Pro
  • Congratulations your USB stick or drive should now be bootable and allow you to install Mavericks.
  • Boot from the newly created installation USB stick and run the installer (use F8 after post to select the USB stick, let it run the installer and install as usual)
  • Once installation is complete reboot and again boot from the usb stick (F8 after post again to select it as the boot device), When chameleon loads this time you need to select your freshly installed Mavericks hdd to boot from so select it and wait for it to load
  • After Mavericks has booted to the desktop run the installation package that you will find on the root of your USB drive named 'P8P67 Pro Driver Installer.pkg' this will install the bootloader and necessary kexts to your newly installed drive - this should make your new installation bootable.

Please Note..

• The installer does not install USB 3, NullCPUPowerManagement or Audio kexts - If you need to sinatll these then the kexts and kextutility can be found in the 'Additional Kexts' folder on the root of your USB drive. I do not use these kexts as I use USB Audio and have a patched bios so I don't need NullCPUPowermanagement - if you need them then install them. 
  • I have not tested the AppleHDA.kext - it's the same one used in Mountain Lion so 'should' work, I'm currently using an X-FI HD USB card which works via spdif.
  • By default the package sets the smbios to use a MacBook Pro 8.3 definition - this is purely to simplify the installation. If you decide to change this to Mac Pro definition then be aware that you will need to delete the AppleTYMCE kext prior to booting after each DP update otherwise you will get a kernel panic.

As always good luck!!! 

Awesome work as usual Andy! How many of the DP updates have you applied? DPs 1 through 5 worked fine for me, but when I updated to 6 it kernel panics on every boot except when booting using the install drive (even though they have the same kexts!) I'll try again and see what happens.

Awesome work as usual Andy! How many of the DP updates have you applied? DPs 1 through 5 worked fine for me, but when I updated to 6 it kernel panics on every boot except when booting using the install drive (even though they have the same kexts!) I'll try again and see what happens.

Sorted it! I'll leave the posts here in case anyone else has the problem - appletymcedriver.kext needed deleting from /S/L/E

Also, I wanted to use the onboard (P8P67 Pro v3.0) ALC892 audio, but the included AppleHDA didn't work. This is solved by downloading the multiple beast-flavoured software (version 5.43 for ML) and installing only the Drivers > Audio > Realtek ALC8xx > Without DSDT > ALC892 kext and rebooting.

I hope all these posts will help someone! Again, brilliant work Andy :)

All of them including dp6, only ever had a kernel panic if I use mac pro in the smbios which causes a KP until I delete AppleTYMCE.

I'm going to have a go at creating some instructions using Pandora's box when I get a chance - Have to support these guys because it looks like a very handy installer and should make the install a lot simpler.

Also, I wanted to use the onboard (P8P67 Pro v3.0) ALC892 audio, but the included AppleHDA didn't work. This is solved by downloading the multiple beast-flavoured software (version 5.43 for ML) and installing only the Drivers > Audio > Realtek ALC8xx > Without DSDT > ALC892 kext and rebooting.

I hope all these posts will help someone! Again, brilliant work Andy :)

Thanks I'll be sure to update the AppleHDA kext before I try my Pandora's box experiments :)

• 3 weeks later...

Hello Andy, my system: P8P67 V3.0 PRO- i7 2600K- Sapphire Vapor 5770- 8Gb RAM. Bios upgraded with your customize ROM.

I´ve been trying to make usb bootable for 48 hours and it doesn´t work for mi. I´ve tryed to make a istallation USB stick for  Mountain lion and for Mavericks, each one using each USB isntaller. pkg,I boot with F8 and the newly created installation USB stick and after that I get a black Screen. I´ve tryed many times and many ways with both Mountian lion and Mavericks but I have to have missed something. Any Idea? Should I to create the USB installer in the Hackintosh I want to upgrade or I can create it in any Mac?

Thanks

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Andy, the package works great with the GM.

As pointed out, sound from the last version of the beast is perfectly working.

EDIT : iMessages isn't working (says it can't be activated)

EDIT 2 : Restart is sometimes a little borken. It hangs on a spinning wheel on grey background. As for now, it happened only when I installed apps. Something to be investigated.

Hi Andy, thanks for the package. For me Mavericks has got a bit difficult to get working after DP7, I can't use DSDT anymore otherwise I get the "cannot find driver for this platform" error, but maybe it's an issue with clover.

Anyway, I wanted to tell you, I know you stay away from 3000 series BIOS but if you feel like trying, I could test for you before as I have an hardware flasher + a spare ROM chip so I'm not afraid of flashing even the crappiest mods :)
However I didn't get issue when I updated to 3000 in the past. I confirm the update went into 2 phases, but it's not "flashing twice" like I've read here and there. You 1st update from the BIOS, then it reboots and you get a blue progress bar.

EDIT : ok, for those using clover (as of build 2240), DO NOT use USB FIX option inside DSDT patches, this is responsible of the panic with ACPI platform 

I attached the stock DSDT from 3602

acpi_dsdt 3602.bin.zip

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Andy,

with your help i successfully set up Mavericks on my I5-P8p67-pro.

I used the patched Bios and had to delete AppleCPUManagement.kext, after that no kernel manic and everything works fine.

Finally i used MBEAST for the sounddriver without any dsdt and cameleon wizard to load and fix imessage with the nvram.dylib.

No i have a stable System with working Speedstepping.

THX a lot.

Hi Andy!

Is the p8p67 Pro Rev 3.1 supported?

Thanks in advance

Thanks a lot pullewulle =)

Hi!

Another question...

What about SpeedStepper with patched bios, should I use one SSDT to enable it?

Thanks in advance

Really I have a lot of questions...

Is the system stable?

Which is the best smbios for i7-2600? MacMini 5,3? Where I can find it?

J-Macron and Maxwell bus are supported? In general, what about PCIs?

I have one ATI HD6850, will I find the same installation problem of ML? (remove the HD6xxx kext from usb installer and install it once booted the system)

The USB 3.0 will work? ...

... can I have a list of the files that will be installed from "P8P67 Pro Driver Installer.pkg"?

What's the usr folder in to the "P8P67 Pro Driver Installer.pkg" for? And the "ath3k-firmware-uploader"?

I want to know what I'm doing with my system to know better how to do it...or how to solve problems... =)

Thanks in advance

• 2 months later...

Hi.

Thanks for the guide, Andy. I'm having problems booting from the USB. I followed all the steps to the letter, but once I choose the USB from the bios, the screen goes black with the insertion point blincking. Nothing happens after that. I tried booting the USB from my work computer (not my hackingtosh at home), and it recognizes the USB to install Mavericks. Any ideas? Please help.

Thanks in advance.

Hey Andy,

I have maverick installed. I used a guide similar to this one. At this stage I don't have speed step or sleep enabled. Can I use the tools you have in this package to enable them? I have installed a patched bios obtained from another site but I cannot boot without Nullcpupowermanagement.

Also my Nvidia gts 250 graphics card can't seem to get QI/CE enabled. Should I not find a good working solution for my computer, would you recommend reinstalling using your instructions?

Thanks,

hinju

Specs:

i7-2600k

P8p67 Pro rev 3.1 2103

evga nvidia gts 250 512 mb

8 gb ram

SSD hard drive

Hello

Install OSX

Install Chameleon and configute it, create 2 main files with help app Chameleon Wizard:
*org.chameleon
*SMbios

You have Sandy Bridger CPU, so you need do this to get power management:
*Create a SSDT based in Pike's script, run this in terminal:

curl -o ssdtPRGen.sh https://raw.github.com/Piker-Alpha/RevoBoot/clang/i386/libsaio/acpi/Tools/ssdtPRGen.sh
chmod +x ssdtPRGen.sh
./ssdtPRGen.sh

After run script you need put your Max Frequence and Max CPU TDP... you have i72600k so you need... like the example:

sudo ./ssdtPRGen.sh 95 3800

Or this:

sudo ./ssdtPRGen.sh 3800 95

*Generate P and C States=No
*Don't install NullCPUPM
*Patch AICPUPM: http://olarila.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=1003
*DropSSDT=Yes(in org.chameleon...)

If you aprecciated my help, give me a like :)

• Like 4

Hello. Thanks for getting back to me. Just to be clear, you're recommending I reinstall OSX using this guide and then following your steps listed above? Also, can I use [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] to install various kext like my audio and ethernet or will the p8p67 installer package here make everything work? 

Then I install both Chameleon and Chameleon Wizard. 

Then I run that script to create an SSDT? (not sure what pike's script is).

Then when i put max frequency and TDP, do I need adjust any bios settings to match that?

Finally to patch AICPUPM, i just follow the terminal codes outlined in that link and it will properly patch it? 

Hello

I'll answer your ask in sequence...

Yes, I recommend you re-install your system, no problem abou audio or ethernet... Where do you think tonymac steal these kext??? From us. We don't support tonymac and his tools...

Only Chameleon is bootloader, Chameleon Wizard, like the name said, is a Wizard to create org.chameleon... and SMBios file

Yes, run the script in terminal, save the SSDT in Extra folder... change the file name to SSDT

No... But you need setting your Bios anyway:

Yes, just need run terminal commands to patch AICPUPM, don't forgot donwload file required to patch

Hey. Well that explains why I've received such terrible support from them. You guys here really are awesome with your tutorials/programs/support. So thank you guys!

Also, last time I installed Maverick you guys helped me realize that NVDAResman and the tesla was preventing install and boot by causing kernel panics and the only way to get around was removing it from the USB. Do you have any recommendations for this problem (as it's absence may be causing my graphic card issue) or should I just remove it like another moderator here had instructed me to.

Thanks!

@PimentelX86:

Can you please help me? I followed Andy's guide, but after installing Mavericks, I installed Andy's Drivers package but I can't boot from my Mavericks drive as I get stuck on the white screen with white apple logo. I can't even boot on safe mode using -x.

I created a thread with further explanation: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/295088-mavericks-boot-on-asus-p8p67-pro-stuck-on-white-screen/

Please consider helping me. Thanks in advance.

Hello

Depends, you are experiencing a problem when trying to boot? If don't, i you don't need remove anything ... If you have a problem and suspect that it is related to graphical, tries before booting with -x (usually enabling VESA mode the system boot)

Since 10.8.3 Graphics Nvidia won many native support, I think your graphic isn't exception ...

To enable Graphical tries to enable GraphicEnabler=Yes in org.chameleon ...

@Costanegra ...

I never followed this tutorial proposed this topic ...

I'll give you my recommendations, I don't know what's Andy's drivers, so what I can do is help you step-by-step, the same as I did with Hinju ...

Cherish my posts, leaving a like for me if you like my help :) :) :)

• Like 2

Hello. So i followed the instructions, and on first reboot my computer is freezing. I made sure to not select Generate P states and Generate C States, and i did check DropSSDT.  I've seen a Kernel panic related to aicpupm. I tried copying Nullcpu powermanagement (in order to bypass the KP) and now the startup is freezing at applekey store starting (just after loading the nullcpupowermanagement). 

What do you recommend i do? I can't boot at all even with safe mode or single user.