Mavericks 10.9 + Gigabyte GA-Z87N-WIFI

thornton.as

8 posts in this topic

Update 03-07-14:

Firstly, apologies for not updating this post as regular as I should.

Currently still using ML 10.8.5 with no issues what so ever! 

I have tried on another partition the follow Mavericks setups;

10.9 to 10.9.3 - Upgrade from ML to Mavericks and clean installs - Consistent system freezes when using iTunes as a streaming server to Apple TV and when playing games and even when the system is idle. I've searched everywhere and followed guides that suggest ethernet issues (don't even use ethernet), memory voltage changes and even certain kext issues - all don't resolved the system freezes. So I've given up on Mavericks.

When 10.10 is released and when there is a solid install guide, I will be trying 10.10.

-------------------------------------

Update 30-09-13:

While waiting for the retail version of Mavericks to be released, I decided to try to install ML 10.8.5.

Success! (Sound, ethernet, on-board graphics running dual monitors, USB 2 and USB 3 all work)

I followed this guide

When Mavericks is released - i'll attempt to update and I'll post my findings.

-------------------------------------

Hi All

I'm a newbie to the hackintosh community and have recently purchased the parts to build my first hackintosh and want to share my experiences with you. I plan to have a fully working rig as soon Mavericks 10.9 has been released with the help and support of the hackintosh community, and who knows, I may be able to help out others along the way.

As lets begin;

The Hardware

Motherboard + CPU: Gigabyte GA-Z87N-WIFI / Intel i5 4570 3.2 GHz with integrated Intel HD 4600 graphics

Memory + Storage: 16 GB of Corsair Vengeance DDR3 RAM / 1TB Western Digital SATA III HDD

WIFI + Bluetooth Mini-pcie Card - Atheros AR5B195 + AR3011

The plan is to use the integrated graphics to drive 2x Dell S2440L 24' monitors via HDMI. This will allow me to free up the only PCIe slot for a hardware raid storage option later down the track.

The Operation System

Mavericks 10.9 - hopefully.

The Testing So Far

Ok, so after the build, I couldn't help myself and wanted to start testing out my new purchase with the current 'some what' available operation systems.

I have tried both Mavericks and Mountain Lion. I'm currently running ML as I have found it to be the most stable for 'proof of concept'.

I had noticed that both OSs didn't detect much hardware out of the box, however did detect the Bluetooth chip on the supplied with WIFI+Bluetooth mini-pcie card that came with the MB.

What works and what doesn't;

Intel HD 4600 Graphics - Works but not at full resolution as not supported by OS.

Intel i217v LAN - Not working, no kexts avaialble, haven't really tried anything else though.

Atheros LAN - Working, but had to source a kext from another site.

USB 2.0 and USB 3.0 - Working, but the USB 3.0 is being detected as USB 2.0.

ALC 892 Audio, Kext installed and detected to be working by the OS; however no sound output.

Using the iMac 13,2 System Def - No software related issues; however CPU speed shown as 3.39 GHz. iTunes and App Store ok. Have not tried iCloud.

The Plan

As soon as Mavericks 10.9 is released to the public, i'm going to attempt a fresh install and will post the outcome.

Please ask any questions or if you have any suggestions, please don't hesitate.

• Like 2

Have you tried the AppleIntelE1000e.kext for your ethernet interface? Gaspimp says that kext works with the Intel i217v chipset on his Gigabyte GA-Z87X-UD3H motherboard.

Do USB flash drives and memory card readers work okay on your hackintosh?

Hi jecowa; I'll give the AppleIntelE1000e.kext a try and will post the outcome. With regards to USB flash drives and memory card readers - I can say that USB flash drives work in both the USB 2 and 3 ports (But as stated in my original post, the USB 3 ports are being detected as USB 2). I had an iPhone 5 dock connected to the USB 3 port and iTunes opened up as soon as I docked the iPhone, charged the iPhone too. Unfortunately I can't try a memory card reader as I don't have one - sorry.

• Like 1

Hi thornton.as! Please let us know as much as possible about your experiences with that setup. I'm thinking of buying the very same motherboard in a couple of days, and would love to know how well you got OS X 10.8(.4?) running on it. A thief stole my Macbook Pro, and I need a replacement asap, and can't afford to buy a new MBP...

Sorry all; i've been very busy at work at the moment, but have a breif moment to answer some of your questions;

>> I got Mountain Lion running following a guide from one of the other hackintosh forum sites. Google search "[url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url]: Enhanced 10.8.4 Kernel Now Available" will point you into the right direction.

>> Tried to install Mavericks but ran into problems and gave up - I'll be waiting until the full release of the retail version before trying again.

>> Tried the AppleIntelE1000e.kext, no luck.

>> Installed the Atheros Combo WIFI (AR9285) + Bluetooth (AR3011) mini-pcie card - WIFI works - BT does not. Spent hours trying to get bluetooth to work. Giving up on the BT with this card as research found that the AR3011 is very unreliable and tricky to get working. I'll buy a BT adaptor.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...