Fermi Freeze "Investigation"

dan542

62 posts in this topic

No.

Yes. I got some NVDA(private) and some NVDA(OpenGL) channel exceptions...

I use Clover's graphics injection, which should be equivalent to Chameleon's GE. I don't use any custom DSDT, I only have for sound fix done for automatically by Clover. (everything including sleep works for me :))

When I finish my work in Xcode, I'll kill freezefix and see how it does. When I use Xcode, my system usually freezes after a while. Could you please try using Xcode for a while?

Ok I'll try it and let you know

So, I've tried not running freezefix while not using Xcode and eventually, my system froze... I couldn't find "NVDA: channel exception" in the logs though. Maybe I restarted my computer too early. Anyway, I'm pretty sure it was a Fermi freeze, since I could only move my mouse and my music kept playing...

I'm seriously thinking about buying a GTX 760 and selling my GTX 560 Ti, since the chip that the 760 uses - GK104 is the same chip you will get if you order an iMac with the optional GTX 780M. :) If you think about it, we're actually lucky that our fermi cards, that were never used in a Mac nor sold as "for Mac Edition", work in the first place...

• Like 1

So, I've tried not running freezefix while not using Xcode and eventually, my system froze... I couldn't find "NVDA: channel exception" in the logs though. Maybe I restarted my computer too early. Anyway, I'm pretty sure it was a Fermi freeze, since I could only move my mouse and my music kept playing...

I'm seriously thinking about buying a GTX 760 and selling my GTX 560 Ti, since the chip that the 760 uses - GK104 is the same chip you will get if you order an iMac with the optional GTX 780M. :) If you think about it, we're actually lucky that our fermi cards, that were never used in a Mac nor sold as "for Mac Edition", work in the first place...

I liked your comment simple because you are absolutely right. It's to bad that our Fermi cards doesn't work on OS X. But again, we are using an OS that is optimized for just a few hardware components. ;)

I re install Mavericks in a greater partition, I use DP4 Installer and update to DP8, and FREEZE, FREEZE and FREEZE, I don´t know why, after using dp6 dp7 and dp8 for one month and a half. It seems something in my previous install prevent the Freeze but in this clean install the freeze just came back. I´ll investigate what setting or kext I change to prevent this freeze.

Its a shame we can´t get a decent support for our cards. I remember when apple just use one or two cards from one Nvidia Family and thanks to that all the entire family gets support in part because Nvidia´s unified Drivers. This was almost a rule. I remember Nvidia´s FX5xxx Family then 6XXX an so on, up to GTX 2XX family but in the Fermi apple just use one card, and it was a Pro card with ECC memory, and only one class of this cards work without this freeze, the high end class.

I understand why you are thinking in change your cards, and maybe I change my GTX460 in my desktop hack, but I can´t change the Fermi card inside my ASUS G74SX so maybe I just need to live with the freezefix app.

Good luck everyone

• 3 weeks later...

@AREOS,

I happen to have the same Laptop Asus G74SX with the same graphics card.  Did the GM version of Mavericks solve the freeze problem?   Does the freezeapp alone or do you have to modify the AGPM as well?  DId you still have to do the OpenCL patch in Mavericks?  As far as sspeedstep, this Asus Laptop happens to be UEFI and the same issue as the Asus motherboards, so does it still need this speedstep or AICPUPM patch for Mavericks?  There is a thread on insanely that has a Bios patch which I did before installing the 10.8x versions and so far its working without issues.  I don't have to patch my AICPUPM kext anymore.

@AREOS,

I happen to have the same Laptop Asus G74SX with the same graphics card.  Did the GM version of Mavericks solve the freeze problem?   Does the freezeapp alone or do you have to modify the AGPM as well?  DId you still have to do the OpenCL patch in Mavericks?  As far as sspeedstep, this Asus Laptop happens to be UEFI and the same issue as the Asus motherboards, so does it still need this speedstep or AICPUPM patch for Mavericks?  There is a thread on insanely that has a Bios patch which I did before installing the 10.8x versions and so far its working without issues.  I don't have to patch my AICPUPM kext anymore.

About freeze in my previous install I edit something that prevents the freeze for about 1 and a half months, I´m following my steps to find what I did, so Mavericks has the same freeze problems for our fermi cards, the good news is freeze fix app still works.

If you update to mavericks you can´t use your old macbookPro 8,x profile anymore or you will get freeze on video content with safari, Finder (quick look) and any other apple app. I use the Mac mini 5,2 profile for avoid this.

I patch my bios too so in Mavericks AICPUPM still work ootb.

For the OCL thing I don´t use it so I don't know, I tried Luxmark and it doesn't work so maybe OCL patch still needed.

AGPM edit still needed for get GPU trottling. Just match it to your new SMBIOS profile.

Good Luck

P.D.

I get almost perfect working system, for me it works CPU speedster, GPU Full QE/CI, Brightness control, full working Sound with Apple HDA including HDMI, Fn Keys including Backlight keyboard, DSDT edits for get battery working with AppleSmartBatteryManager etc if you need help with something just let me know.

Good Luck

• Like 1

About freeze in my previous install I edit something that prevents the freeze for about 1 and a half months, I´m following my steps to find what I did, so Mavericks has the same freeze problems for our fermi cards, the good news is freeze fix app still works.

If you update to mavericks you can´t use your old macbookPro 8,x profile anymore or you will get freeze on video content with safari, Finder (quick look) and any other apple app. I use the Mac mini 5,2 profile for avoid this.

For the OCL thing I don´t use it so I don't know, I tried Luxmark and it doesn't work so maybe OCL patch still needed.

AGPM edit still needed for get GPU trottling. Just match it to your new SMBIOS profile.

Good Luck

P.D.

I get almost perfect working system, for me it works CPU speedster, GPU Full QE/CI, Brightness control, full working Sound with Apple HDA including HDMI, Fn Keys including Backlight keyboard, DSDT edits for get battery working with AppleSmartBatteryManager etc if you need help with something just let me know.

Good Luck

Thanks for getting back with me.  My original DSDT was one I prepared from Mald0n's DSDT patcher.  After that I grabbed one from the thread over at tony's G74SX from start to finish thread which had a few more tweaks in the DSDT.  WHich one are you using?

I did not include the tweaks in the DSDT for battery, FN keys, brightness etc.  Are these DSDT tweaks or kexts or both?

WHat kexts are you using besides fakesmc (hwsesnors?)  I used myhack to install and disabled all the kexts in myhack except for the ones needed for the keyboard.  I was using rehabman's for 10.8x versions.

Could you share what kexts you are using?  WHere did you get the battery manager kext?  If you can get me a list of kexts and links for them outside the vanilla ones being used I will grab them and give them a try.   So you edited your AGPM to Mac Mini 5,2?  I have to find the edits for that unless you have them?  I  am using Chameleon Wizard and only see a Mac Mini 5,1 not 5,2 profile.  Macbook air is 5,2.

Do you have a thread on the G74SX 10.9 install?  If so I suppose that is where I can find all this?

One more thing.  My power button no longer brings up the window to choose shutdown, sleep etc it just goes to sleep.  I had the edit in my DSDT working all the way through 10.8x.  Is there some setting in 10.9 I need to tweak to get this feature back?

Thanks

Edited:

With some searching I found a Mac Mini 5,2 surprised that Chameleon Wizard does not have that profile?   As far as editing the AGPM, I did this in 10.8.3 AGPM.  I searched for the Mac Mini 5,2 ID and found it in the 10.9 AGMP.  Would I replace that section with the section from 10.8.3 or just tweak the numbers for the Mac Mini 5,2 section in AGPM?   Wouldn't I still need the vendor and device  id as it was in the 10.8.3 AGPM Info.plist?

I would like to compare our DSDT's and to follow up on which kexts you are using other than the Vanilla ones from 10.9.

This edit basically sums up what I wrote originally.

Thanks

Good Luck

P.D.

Good Luck

I too have this laptop! How did you get Fn keys working?! Brightness controls? Currently using the kexts/guide included in the forums but it does not provide answers on those issues. 

I too have this laptop! How did you get Fn keys working?! Brightness controls? Currently using the kexts/guide included in the forums but it does not provide answers on those issues. 

There is a Thread over at Tony's on "G74SX start to finish".  I think this is basically where you can get all this information.  I just wanted to confirm with AREOS where his kexts and DSDT resource was.  I cannot provide the link here for obvious reasons, but if you google search what I have in quotes it comes up as the first goggle link.

I had a DSDT prepared from Mald0n DSDT patcher couple years ago and he further tweaked it for me.  Since then I am using the DSDT from tony's thread.  It is almost 100% identical except for the Audio and graphics injection scripts added to the DSDT.

I cannot get the screen brightness to work and the backlit keyboard cannot even work in the Bios so there is some hardware issue on that for me.

There are many people reporting an issue with the backlit keyboard failing after a Bios upgrade and even a downgrade still does not fix it.

Thanks for getting back with me.  My original DSDT was one I prepared from Mald0n's DSDT patcher.  After that I grabbed one from the thread over at tony's G74SX from start to finish thread which had a few more tweaks in the DSDT.  WHich one are you using?

I did not include the tweaks in the DSDT for battery, FN keys, brightness etc.  Are these DSDT tweaks or kexts or both?

WHat kexts are you using besides fakesmc (hwsesnors?)  I used myhack to install and disabled all the kexts in myhack except for the ones needed for the keyboard.  I was using rehabman's for 10.8x versions.

Could you share what kexts you are using?  WHere did you get the battery manager kext?  If you can get me a list of kexts and links for them outside the vanilla ones being used I will grab them and give them a try.   So you edited your AGPM to Mac Mini 5,2?  I have to find the edits for that unless you have them?  I  am using Chameleon Wizard and only see a Mac Mini 5,1 not 5,2 profile.  Macbook air is 5,2.

Do you have a thread on the G74SX 10.9 install?  If so I suppose that is where I can find all this?

One more thing.  My power button no longer brings up the window to choose shutdown, sleep etc it just goes to sleep.  I had the edit in my DSDT working all the way through 10.8x.  Is there some setting in 10.9 I need to tweak to get this feature back?

Thanks

Edited:

With some searching I found a Mac Mini 5,2 surprised that Chameleon Wizard does not have that profile?   As far as editing the AGPM, I did this in 10.8.3 AGPM.  I searched for the Mac Mini 5,2 ID and found it in the 10.9 AGMP.  Would I replace that section with the section from 10.8.3 or just tweak the numbers for the Mac Mini 5,2 section in AGPM?   Wouldn't I still need the vendor and device  id as it was in the 10.8.3 AGPM Info.plist?

I would like to compare our DSDT's and to follow up on which kexts you are using other than the Vanilla ones from 10.9.

This edit basically sums up what I wrote originally.

Thanks

Sorry for the delay,

I make my own DSDT, I patch the usual thins + battery values for get battery with AppleSmartBattery/ACPIBatteryManager kext, HDMI and all sound devices working with my own mod AppleHDA, FnKeys (Backlightkeyboard and Fn multimedia keys) with EMlyDinSH kext from osxlattitude with this kext and injecting pwm-info for my Nvidia Card I get Brigthness working. So all works for me except the SDcard Reader.

I can give you all, for inject the correct info for Nvidia I use EFI String + DSDT its a lot of info check inside my org.chameleon.boot.plist.

List of files

Config

DSDT usual patches + Battery Patch + HDMI patch + some Fn Keys mods to get all working

SSDT for my 2670QM processor you may need other for your 2630QM

org.chameleon.Boot.plist with my own EFI string to inject my GTX 560M info for get Brightness working, also injects the EDID for my Screen.

Kexts

AppleHDA (mavericks 2.5.2 and ML 2.4.7) for get all sound devices working Internal speakers, headphones, internal and external mic

Rehabman´s VoodooPS2Controller 1.8.8 for keyboard and trackpad

Zenith432´s GenericUSBXHCI 1.2.6

Rehabman´s ACPIBatteryManager 1.4

EMlyDinEsH´s AsusNBFnKeys 1.7

EMlyDinEsH´s EAPDFix for audio after sleep

Issues remaining

USB EHCI eject after sleep

in Mavs backlightkeyboard doesn´t work anymore after sleep

SDCard Reader doesn´t work at all

Fermi Freeze without Dan´s freeze fix app (I´m working in lead to fix this)

I´m on Mavericks right now remember to use Mac mini 5,2 smbios and you need to inject your AGPM settings for this model or you will get black screen on boot

Good luck all G74SX users!!!

Please report back with results

AreosG74SX.zip

Thanks very much AREOS,

That is so weird that only the Mac Mini 5,2 profile fixes those video streaming freezes in Safari and miscellaneous apps.  Did you have your AGPM setting to look at?  Your AGPM was not in your zip.

Are you injecting the EFI values for AGPM and devices for wireless and graphics card?   I am curious which application you used to get the EFI values for your graphics card and AGPM injection for future reference?

The Keyboard backlight and LCD brightness is working perfectly!!

Only problem encountered so far is some wireless connection issues maybe form EFI string and it seems "Use Kernel Cache" is not working.  I keep getting the long kextlist on every boot as though I manually executed -f at the boot each time?

What did you use to prepare your SSDT.  I have the stock 2630QM.

Thanks

EDITED:

I figured out why am getting the kext run every time.  When I choose verbose I see  -v -v -v -v -v -v -f -v -v on the boot prompt.  Its not the DSDT doing it because I tired both yours and mine.  Maybe one of the kexts, but kexts are loading after boot prompt so its something else causing it.

Its not your Org.chameleon.boot.plist nor mine causing it. I'll figure it out eventually.

I just used my old ssdt.aml I got from Rehabman a while ago.  The ssdt-1.aml I have from a ubuntu extraction and the only difference from yours was:

Scope (\)
    {
        Name (SSDT, Package (0x0C)
        {
            "CPU0IST ", 
            0x01C86018, 
            0x00000913, 
            "APIST   ", 
            0xDF5CDA98, 
            0x00000303, 
            "CPU0CST ", 
            0xDF5CC698, 
            0x0000063C, 
            "APCST   ", 
            0xDF5CBD98, 
            0x00000119
        })

Our DSDT are almost exactly the same when I check with DiffMerge.  Just some minor differences.  Is your bios version 203?

DSDT differences:

Extra code in mine not in your DSDT.  Did you remove it?

Method (KKCL, 0, Serialized)
                    {
                        Return (Package (0x04)
                        {
                            Zero, 
                            One, 
                            0x02, 
                            0x03
                        })
                    }

Method (KKCM, 1, Serialized)
                    {
                        ^^^^ATKD.SLKB (Or (Arg0, 0x80))
                    }

Method (KKQC, 0, Serialized)
                    {
                        Return (^^^^ATKD.GLKB (0x02))
                    }
                }

Code in yours, not mine maybe something to do with fn keys?

Field (SMBX, ByteAcc, Lock, Preserve)
            {
                        Offset (0x04), 
                SM00,   8, 
                SM01,   8, 
                SM02,   8, 
                SM03,   8, 
                SM04,   8, 
                SM05,   8, 
                SM06,   8, 
                SM07,   8, 
                SM08,   8, 
                SM09,   8, 
                SM10,   8, 
                SM11,   8, 
                SM12,   8, 
                SM13,   8, 
                SM14,   8, 
                SM15,   8, 
                SM16,   8, 
                SM17,   8, 
                SM18,   8, 
                SM19,   8, 
                SM20,   8, 
                SM21,   8, 
                SM22,   8, 
                SM23,   8, 
                SM24,   8, 
                SM25,   8, 
                SM26,   8, 
                SM27,   8, 
                SM28,   8, 
                SM29,   8, 
                SM30,   8, 
                SM31,   8
            }

Code in yours not mine? Something extra not sure what this is?

If (LEqual (PUNT, One))
                {
                    Store (DerefOf (Index (PBST, One)), Local3)
                    Multiply (Local3, 0xB9, Local6)
                    Divide (Local6, 0x2710, Local0, Local7)
                    Add (Local3, Local7, Local3)
                    Store (Local3, Index (PBST, One))
                    Store (DerefOf (Index (PBST, 0x02)), Local3)
                    Multiply (Local3, 0xB9, Local6)
                    Divide (Local6, 0x2710, Local0, Local7)
                    Add (Local3, Local7, Local3)
                    Store (Local3, Index (PBST, 0x02))
                }
                Else

Can't figure this one out at all.  Short code in mine see yours after this one.

Store (Zero, BDAT)
                    Store (Arg0, PRTC)
                    Store (SWTC (Arg0), Index (Local0, Zero))
                    If (LEqual (DerefOf (Index (Local0, Zero)), Zero))
                    {
                        If (LEqual (Arg0, RDBL))
                        {
                            Store (BCNT, Index (Local0, One))
                            Store (BDAT, Index (Local0, 0x02))
                        }

If (LEqual (Arg0, RDWD))
                        {
                            Store (0x02, Index (Local0, One))
                            Store (DT2B, Index (Local0, 0x02))
                        }

This is the code that is very different from anything I have in my DSDT.  Did you add this part for your battery kext?  I see SM so something with SM above code and here below you added?

Store (Arg0, PRTC)
                    Store (SWTC (Arg0), Index (Local0, Zero))
                    If (LEqual (DerefOf (Index (Local0, Zero)), Zero))
                    {
                        If (LEqual (Arg0, RDBL))
                        {
                            Store (And (BCNT, 0x1F), Local4)
                            Store (Local4, Index (Local0, One))
                            Increment (Local4)
                            Store (Buffer (Local3)
                                {
                                    0x0D, 0x00
                                }, Local4)
                            Decrement (Local3)
                            Store (Zero, Local5)
                            While (LGreater (Local3, Local5))
                            {
                                If (LEqual (Local5, Zero))
                                {
                                    Store (SM00, Local6)
                                }

If (LEqual (Local5, One))
                                {
                                    Store (SM01, Local6)
                                }

If (LEqual (Local5, 0x02))
                                {
                                    Store (SM02, Local6)
                                }

If (LEqual (Local5, 0x03))
                                {
                                    Store (SM03, Local6)
                                }

If (LEqual (Local5, 0x04))
                                {
                                    Store (SM04, Local6)
                                }

If (LEqual (Local5, 0x05))
                                {
                                    Store (SM05, Local6)
                                }

If (LEqual (Local5, 0x06))
                                {
                                    Store (SM06, Local6)
                                }

If (LEqual (Local5, 0x07))
                                {
                                    Store (SM07, Local6)
                                }

If (LEqual (Local5, 0x08))
                                {
                                    Store (SM08, Local6)
                                }

If (LEqual (Local5, 0x09))
                                {
                                    Store (SM09, Local6)
                                }

If (LEqual (Local5, 0x0A))
                                {
                                    Store (SM10, Local6)
                                }

If (LEqual (Local5, 0x0B))
                                {
                                    Store (SM11, Local6)
                                }

If (LEqual (Local5, 0x0C))
                                {
                                    Store (SM12, Local6)
                                }

If (LEqual (Local5, 0x0D))
                                {
                                    Store (SM13, Local6)
                                }

If (LEqual (Local5, 0x0E))
                                {
                                    Store (SM14, Local6)
                                }

If (LEqual (Local5, 0x0F))
                                {
                                    Store (SM15, Local6)
                                }

If (LEqual (Local5, 0x10))
                                {
                                    Store (SM16, Local6)
                                }

If (LEqual (Local5, 0x11))
                                {
                                    Store (SM17, Local6)
                                }

If (LEqual (Local5, 0x12))
                                {
                                    Store (SM18, Local6)
                                }

If (LEqual (Local5, 0x13))
                                {
                                    Store (SM19, Local6)
                                }

If (LEqual (Local5, 0x14))
                                {
                                    Store (SM20, Local6)
                                }

If (LEqual (Local5, 0x15))
                                {
                                    Store (SM21, Local6)
                                }

If (LEqual (Local5, 0x16))
                                {
                                    Store (SM22, Local6)
                                }

If (LEqual (Local5, 0x17))
                                {
                                    Store (SM23, Local6)
                                }

If (LEqual (Local5, 0x18))
                                {
                                    Store (SM24, Local6)
                                }

If (LEqual (Local5, 0x19))
                                {
                                    Store (SM25, Local6)
                                }

If (LEqual (Local5, 0x1A))
                                {
                                    Store (SM26, Local6)
                                }

If (LEqual (Local5, 0x1B))
                                {
                                    Store (SM27, Local6)
                                }

If (LEqual (Local5, 0x1C))
                                {
                                    Store (SM28, Local6)
                                }

If (LEqual (Local5, 0x1D))
                                {
                                    Store (SM29, Local6)
                                }

If (LEqual (Local5, 0x1E))
                                {
                                    Store (SM30, Local6)
                                }

If (LEqual (Local5, 0x1F))
                                {
                                    Store (SM31, Local6)
                                }

PBFE (Local4, Local5, Local6)
                                Increment (Local5)
                            }

PBFE (Local4, Local5, Zero)
                            Store (Local4, Index (Local0, 0x02))
                        }

If (LEqual (Arg0, RDWD))
                        {
                            Store (0x02, Index (Local0, One))
                            Store (SM00, Local4)
                            Store (SM01, Local5)
                            ShiftLeft (Local5, 0x08, Local5)
                            Or (Local4, Local5, Local6)
                            Store (Local6, Index (Local0, 0x02))
                        }

The only questions remain are the APGM.  Did you modify your kext or are you injecting using that EFI string?  If you modified the kext can you share it?  If not would you have a link to the application you used to create the EFI strings for the graphics device, AGPM and wireless device?  I'm thinking your EFI string is solely for the graphics device and if so could you zip your AGPM so I can see the changes?

Thanks for sharing and spending the time to review my post!!

OK, I´m glad you get all working.

Did you check HDMI audio?? It must work  :)  and I also inject Underscan Values so you can adjust HDMI image like real macs do (nobody seem to know about it). Connect some HDMI screen and in display settings you will get this slide to adjust.

for the differences in our SSDT those are for the CStates 

for the differences in our DSDT. I´m on 203 BIOS right now but when I take my vanilla DSDT I was using 202, so those KKCL, KKCM and KKQC methods are inside 203 version. Maybe I´ll take some time and make all the edits on 203 DSDT.

All the others differences you find are for the battery to work with the ACPIBatteryManager kext and the vanilla ACPI and IOPCI kext.

For the AGPM I usually use and edited LegacyAGPM kext (I´m not using it anymore because my Fermi freeze investigation, I´m using other methods to GPU Power management. I have 1 week without freeze!!!!, If I reach two weeks without freeze I will post my finds and let you try it) . I attach the one I used. This AGPM disables states 3 (GPU core 50mhz) and state 2 (Our card doesn´t have one) and make all the run on state 1 (GPU core at 202 Mhz, 162Mhz Memory) this gives you fluid animation graphics and State 0 (GPU Core 775Mhz, memory at 1,25Ghz) for full GPU power.

For the EFI string I use EFIStudio 1.1 use google, this generates the hex EFI string based on my Plist where I inject all the GPU stuff.

For the Mac mini SMBIOS it is not the only one to prevent this video freeze on Apple´s apps you can use Imac or Mac pro, but this Mac mini 5,2 model have the right StepContexDict for our i7 (P-States management) and it use only discrete graphics which is the same configuration in our G74SX. I think apple use some unknown method in Mavs to match the smbios profile for its own applications and if you use lets say macbook pro 8,1, 8,2 or 8,3 all this models doesn´t match this config, the first use Intel IGPU only and the other two are IGPU + Discrete GPU graphics but all have the Intel IGPU for Video Acceleration so this new method match this and try to use the Intel setting on our Nvidia Card = Freeze, that is why if you use Imac or MacPro or this Mac mini 5,2 which doesn't use the intel IGPU you are safe. if you use the Mac mini 5,1 you will get this Video Freeze again because it use intel IGPU  :P  I hope this explain something.

Ohh I almost forget the Wireless issue, I change the internal Wi-Fi card for an Atheros 9280 because its dual band and MIMO 2x2 (the vanilla card it is an Atheros 9285 2.4 Ban only and 1x1) I lost bluetooth but I need this to reach 300Mbps on 5Ghz wifi. So no edits inside my DSDT for wi-fi card.

Good luck and if you like to share all this info please do it on this Forum only for obvious reasons.

:thumbsup_anim:  :thumbsup_anim:  :thumbsup_anim:

P.D. for the -v -v -v -f etc issue it is because your are using chameleon and this is a known issue with the FileNVRAM.dylib module to delete this you can use the backspace key on Chameleon Boot prompt or if this doesn´t work use this inside terminal sudo nvram boot-args=""

LegacyAGPM.kext.zip

"and I also inject Underscan Values so you can adjust HDMI image like real macs do (nobody seem to know about it)"...

hi, i'm using switchresx to get display to fit screen on TV thru hdmi...what are those injected values?  i used to get the slider control when i had a hd 5450 installed(without any injection), but not with my nvidia :smoke:

@AREOS,

Thanks again.  I'll try the  HDMI shortly.   Your dsdt is actually from bios 203.  if you search inside dsdt, 203 comes up.  So those values KKCL were missing from your dsdt, unless they might have been interfering with the mods you made for keyboard backlight and lcd brightness so maybe you removed it?

HDMI is flawless.  You must have put a lot of work into this to have it function so well.  Slider is there, I can change from 720 to 1080 etc etc.

I found an easy fix for the kext loading on every verbose boot. Just install Chameleon Wizard and Checkmark " Boot Caches -f"  Save it.  Reboot then change it back, save it.  That fixed it for me!!

For the AGPM I usually use and edited LegacyAGPM kext (I´m not using it anymore because my Fermi freeze investigation, I´m using other methods to GPU Power management. I have 1 week without freeze!!!!, If I reach two weeks without freeze I will post my finds and let you try it) . I attach the one I used. This AGPM disables states 3 (GPU core 50mhz) and state 2 (Our card doesn´t have one) and make all the run on state 1 (GPU core at 202 Mhz, 162Mhz Memory) this gives you fluid animation graphics and State 0 (GPU Core 775Mhz, memory at 1,25Ghz) for full GPU power.

Hi, i looked in the AGPM legacy kext.

What does this "Mac-4BC72D62AD45599E" means - in older OS X Versions always MacModels like "MacPro3,1" were used.

How do i know which MAC-XXXXXX i have to use? I looked in my smbios.plist there is MacPro3,1 and some other "Mac-F42C88C8" as SMBIOS version. Is the second that id i must use?

Hi, i looked in the AGPM legacy kext.

What does this "Mac-4BC72D62AD45599E" means - in older OS X Versions always MacModels like "MacPro3,1" were used.

How do i know which MAC-XXXXXX i have to use? I looked in my smbios.plist there is MacPro3,1 and some other "Mac-F42C88C8" as SMBIOS version. Is the second that id i must use?

I am not 100% sure on this but that ID matches the ID for Mac Mini 5,2 which is why I assumed it would work based on the SMbios mac mini definition 5,2 I am using for the Asus G74SX laptop?

I do understand what you are asking.  I remember in older AGPM they would label them as MacPro or MAcBookPro etc but it would seem in 10.9 and maybe 10.8x not sure they just use the ID's.

It seems to be working good.

EDITED:

I don't think I answered your question correctly.  Use "Mac-4BC72D62AD45599E" in the AGPM.   You can find reference to it in either Chameleon Wizard or possible the EveryMac Website?   I found a SMBIOS profile for the Mac Mini 5,2 from a google search, and the Mac ID in that SMBIOS is the same as what is in the AGPM AREOS supplied.  So to my knowledge use this ID format in your legacy AGPM.

AREOS, correct me if I am wrong on this.

AREOS have a read on my past post above!!

Thanks

"and I also inject Underscan Values so you can adjust HDMI image like real macs do (nobody seem to know about it)"...

hi, i'm using switchresx to get display to fit screen on TV thru hdmi...what are those injected values?  i used to get the slider control when i had a hd 5450 installed(without any injection), but not with my nvidia :smoke:

Sorry for the delay, this Underscan is a string all macs with nvidia cards and with hdmi support has, check some ioreg files from one of this macs, under NVDA,Display-A or NVDA,Display-B you will find this string NVDA,UnderScanMin with one ASCII value could be "U" or "R" I Just inject this inside my EFI string and I get this slide in system preferences.

@AREOS,

Thanks again.  I'll try the  HDMI shortly.   Your dsdt is actually from bios 203.  if you search inside dsdt, 203 comes up.  So those values KKCL were missing from your dsdt, unless they might have been interfering with the mods you made for keyboard backlight and lcd brightness so maybe you removed it?

HDMI is flawless.  You must have put a lot of work into this to have it function so well.  Slider is there, I can change from 720 to 1080 etc etc.

I found an easy fix for the kext loading on every verbose boot. Just install Chameleon Wizard and Checkmark " Boot Caches -f"  Save it.  Reboot then change it back, save it.  That fixed it for me!!

Those KKCL, KKCM etc are some methods for get the backlight keyboard with the Rehabman VoodooPS2 Driver, in the Vanilla DSDT those values does´t exist at all, since I don´t use this method to enable my backlight keyboard I don´t have them.

I am not 100% sure on this but that ID matches the ID for Mac Mini 5,2 which is why I assumed it would work based on the SMbios mac mini definition 5,2 I am using for the Asus G74SX laptop?

I do understand what you are asking.  I remember in older AGPM they would label them as MacPro or MAcBookPro etc but it would seem in 10.9 and maybe 10.8x not sure they just use the ID's.

It seems to be working good.

EDITED:

I don't think I answered your question correctly.  Use "Mac-4BC72D62AD45599E" in the AGPM.   You can find reference to it in either Chameleon Wizard or possible the EveryMac Website?   I found a SMBIOS profile for the Mac Mini 5,2 from a google search, and the Mac ID in that SMBIOS is the same as what is in the AGPM AREOS supplied.  So to my knowledge use this ID format in your legacy AGPM.

AREOS, correct me if I am wrong on this.

AREOS have a read on my past post above!!

Thanks

For the Legacy AGPM to work you must insert the values for your GPU inside the correct mac profile, for some machines this profile is named with the SMBIOS model name, like Macbook8,3 or MacPro3,1 or something like that but in some newer models the AGPM kext use the board id if you check inside the AGPM plist you will find some of this newer models, if you need to know which board id use check this http://tdev.me/2010/12/apple-hardware-dumps/ So since I was using the Mac mini 5,2 profile the board id to this is Mac-4BC72D62AD45599E if you will use MacPro3,1 or 4,1 or 5,1 you can still using this model id to match your Legacy AGPM since those profile are still named in the old way inside AGPM kext (is the same for ML or Mavs) if you will use some newer model like MacbookPro9,1 or 10,1 or MacbookAir 3,1 4,1 or 5,1 etc you need to inject the values using this board id.

Hope it helps

• Like 1

@ areos, i do believe i'm underscanning...

post-11772-0-18589400-1382937933_thumb.png

...i added device properties to cham..boot.plist...using only these values:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com...yList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
    <key>PciRoot(0x0)/Pci(0x1,0x0)/Pci(0x0,0x0)</key>
    <dict>
        <key>@0,AAPL,boot-display</key>
        <string></string>
        <key>@0,NVDA,UnderscanMin</key>
        <string>0x00000052</string>
        <key>@0,name</key>
        <string>NVDA,Display-A</string>
        <key>@1,NVDA,UnderscanMin</key>
        <key>@1,name</key>
        <string>NVDA,Display-B</string>
    </dict>
</dict>
</plist>

...converted it to hex with gfxutil, opened the resulting file in textedit and copy/pasted the result into device properties...rebooted once to a blank display...next boot...voila'!

...maybe not entirely correct, as i still use GE=Yes(Chameleon) as well...but it now appears in ioregistry and the slider works as advertised...i'd like to roll it into a dsdt injection for the entire video card(but this works fine) thanks! :smoke:

• Like 1

@ areos, i do believe i'm underscanning...

attachicon.gifunderscan1.png

...i added device properties to cham..boot.plist...using only these values:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>

<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">

<plist version="1.0">

<dict>

<key>PciRoot(0x0)/Pci(0x1,0x0)/Pci(0x0,0x0)</key>

<dict>

<key>@0,AAPL,boot-display</key>

<string></string>

<key>@0,NVDA,UnderscanMin</key>

<key>@0,name</key>

<string>NVDA,Display-A</string>

<key>@1,NVDA,UnderscanMin</key>

<key>@1,name</key>

<string>NVDA,Display-B</string>

</dict>

</dict>

</plist>

/spoiler]

...converted it to hex with gfxutil, opened the resulting file in textedit and copy/pasted the result into device properties...rebooted once to a blank display...next boot...voila'!

...maybe not entirely correct, as i still use GE=Yes(Chameleon) as well...but it now appears in ioregistry and the slider works as advertised...i'd like to rollit into a dsdt injection for the entire video card(but this works fine) thanks! :smoke:

Great, I also tried to inject all this values inside my dsdt but for some reason if I inject this value in dsdt I always get Black screen (I think is related to the coding) this is why I use some values via EFI String and only the HDMI related ones via DSDT.

Good Luck

just for good measure...

post-11772-0-76794900-1382940837_thumb.png

:smoke:...as it stands now, i have to enter/type at chameleon boot prompt: "Device Properties"="No" to reach the login screen...so still a work in progress, but, it  does work.

Edited by robertx