31 replies to this topic

slemblod

slemblod

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 89 posts

Hi.

First time builder/hackintosher here. Please be nice.  :)

This thread is a continuation of my other one: http://www.insanelym...7m-d3h-gtx-670/ where I successfully installed OS X 10.8.4 onto my machine.

In this post I will discuss features that (don't) work.

1. Power management:

I think so, as I can boot without patched AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext or NullCPUPowerManagement.kext. Does this screenshot of Activity Monitor clarify anything? http://i.imgur.com/GsTWhdX.png

What does it mean?

EDIT: Turns out that I'm lacking a whole load of processor states. It makes a huge jump from 800MHz to 3.17GHz. To be continued.

2. Audio:

Working in 10.8.5 with patched AppleHDA as of https://github.com/toleda/audio_ALC892 https://github.com/t...io_kext_enabler (also attached).

3. Graphics:

QE/CI works out of the box with EVGA GeForce GTX 670.

4. Ethernet:

Realtek's official driver for OS X Lion 10.7 works: http://www.realtek.c...=4&DownTypeID=3

5. USB 3:

Works (but I have only tested with USB 2 devices).

Attached Files

Cobra03

Cobra03

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 104 posts

I doubt your power management works. Easy Check though:

Terminal: Kextstat

Look for AppleIntelCPUPowerManagment.kext

slemblod

slemblod

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 89 posts

I doubt your power management works. Easy Check though:

Terminal: Kextstat

Look for AppleIntelCPUPowerManagment.kext

It's not there. Does this mean the processor runs at 100% all the time?

Z77 Gigabyte motherboards had native power management (according to Tony x86).

Cobra03

Cobra03

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 104 posts

Yes I believe Z77 did. But it looks like Z87 has MSR_E2 Locked. Not a big deal the patch that is needed is well documented. I've got something in the works. But I enlisted the help of someone with more knowledge than myself to make sure what I think is going on, actually is. Bios is to risky to mess with!!

And to answer your other question, What I have seen is you will get the lowest P-State for your processor. And then the upper ranges. It skips all the middle ranges. So technically speaking there is "some" power management but it's incomplete. You can verify in Terminal:" sudo dmesg " and look for XCPM. There will be two occurrences. One will say "XCPM:registered"  the other will say "IOPPF: XCPM mode"

slemblod

slemblod

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 89 posts

Actually, XCPM only occurs once. Though it does say something about incomplete power management. I have attached the output of the "sudo dmesg" command, if it helps you.

Attached Files

Cobra03

Cobra03

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 104 posts

Do you have any SSDT's in you extra folder?

Picasso

Picasso

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 239 posts

Yes I believe Z77 did. But it looks like Z87 has MSR_E2 Locked. Not a big deal the patch that is needed is well documented. I've got something in the works. But I enlisted the help of someone with more knowledge than myself to make sure what I think is going on, actually is. Bios is to risky to mess with!!

And to answer your other question, What I have seen is you will get the lowest P-State for your processor. And then the upper ranges. It skips all the middle ranges. So technically speaking there is "some" power management but it's incomplete. You can verify in Terminal:" sudo dmesg " and look for XCPM. There will be two occurrences. One will say "XCPM:registered"  the other will say "IOPPF: XCPM mode"

Cobra, I'm not use power managment in the install. Have I use one? I have mother ga-z87a=ud5h with i7 4770k In this case can you tell me what I have to install? Thanks!

slemblod

slemblod

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 89 posts

Do you have any SSDT's in you extra folder?

I don't. I have attached the contents of my Extra folder, if it can be of any use.

Attached Files

PimentelX86

PimentelX86

InsanelyMacaholic

• Local Moderators
  • 2,939 posts

Hello.

Slemblod, you need only this to have power management:

*Generate an SSDT to work P and C States: http://olarila.com/f...start=10#p12849

*Patche the AICPUPM: http://olarila.com/f...59a6170c43d4242

*Active DropSSDT in org.chameleon.boot.plist

*Remove NullCPUPM

*Remove P and C states of chameleon.

You have a Haswell CPU so only active C and P States on chameleon don't work you need create an SSDT to work.

Run the command on terminal and proced.

Sorry for my English.

slemblod

slemblod

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 89 posts

Hello.

Slemblod, you need only this to have power management:

*Generate an SSDT to work P and C States: http://olarila.com/f...start=10#p12849

*Patche the AICPUPM: http://olarila.com/f...59a6170c43d4242

*Active DropSSDT in org.chameleon.boot.plist

*Remove NullCPUPM

*Remove P and C states of chameleon.

You have a Haswell CPU so only active C and P States on chameleon don't work you need create an SSDT to work.

Run the command on terminal and proced.

Sorry for my English.

Thanks for replying.

I will try your solution and post results here when I'm finished.

Cobra03

Cobra03

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 104 posts

Sorry this Patch will not work on Haswell. There are differences between SandyBridge and Haswell. Plus if you patch AICPUPM and Apple forces us to only load signed .Kext then is will not load. SSDT_pr Gen will get you what I stated above. But patch will do nothing additional at this time.

slemblod

slemblod

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 89 posts

Sorry this Patch will not work on Haswell. There are differences between SandyBridge and Haswell. Plus if you patch AICPUPM and Apple forces us to only load signed .Kext then is will not load. SSDT_pr Gen will get you what I stated above. But patch will do nothing additional at this time.

You are right.

I tried PimentelX86's solution, but it did indeed not work.

PimentelX86

PimentelX86

InsanelyMacaholic

• Local Moderators
  • 2,939 posts

Hello.

I think work, but... -_-

Cobra look like you have more experience with Haswell so continue help him.

Cobra03

Cobra03

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 104 posts

Hello.

I think work, but... -_-

Cobra look like you have more experience with Haswell so continue help him.

It was a good suggestion, However AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext will not load on Haswell. So even with the patch it is useless. 

Heres the low down on  power management for Haswell:

What we need to see is XCPM:Registered and IOPPF:XCPM in Dmesg from Terminal. This lets us know power management is registered. To get BOTH of these you have to generate a SSDT with SSDT_PR gen tool made by RevoGirl/PikeAlpha. That file needs renamed to SSDT.aml (or SSDT-x.aml where x=the next highest SSDT you have. Example if SSDT-4.aml is in your /Extra folder name new file SSDT-5.aml)and placed in /Extra. Some people say you can use the SSDT_pr.dsl file but I have not tried it this way. 

Do NOT use GeneratePStates or GeneratePStates=yes or NullCPUPowerMngt in org.chameleon.boot.plist, But Add DROPSSDT=yes.

Now what we get is P-states that show 8,35,36,37,38,39 depending on your processor this may differ somewhat. The point is we are missing the PStates between 8 and 35. Or are We? Power management is working. You have lowest state for  least power and best cooling, and top highest state + Turbo States for high demand. What the kicker is, is that AICPUPM.kext is not loaded. So something is wrong? No not really, Just different. If you look at a dump of Kexts fro real MacBookAir6,2 it dosen't load AICPUPM.kext either!! So the problem that we have been discussing is not really a problem after all! No worries about your CPU overheating cause it will throttle back to its lowest P-State! And during hi demand with throttle up as needed.

May this change in the future?? Yes it may, but for now its what we have and it does work just like real Mac.

Thanks to TimeWalker75A for a well thought out explanation!!!!  

Picasso

Picasso

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 239 posts

Cobra03

I send you my text from terminal,and my ssdt. 

PM message doesn´t have attach files.

Thanks a lot for check this!

Attached Files

Cobra03

Cobra03

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 104 posts

Cobra03

I send you my text from terminal,and my ssdt. 

PM message doesn´t have attach files.

Thanks a lot for check this!

Remove NullCPUPowerMngt.kext. I forgot to put that in my post. Its now corrected.

slemblod

slemblod

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 89 posts

It was a good suggestion, However AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext will not load on Haswell. So even with the patch it is useless. 

Heres the low down on  power management for Haswell:

What we need to see is XCPM:Registered and IOPPF:XCPM in Dmesg from Terminal. This lets us know power management is registered. To get BOTH of these you have to generate a SSDT with SSDT_PR gen tool made by RevoGirl/PikeAlpha. That file needs renamed to SSDT.aml (or SSDT-x.aml where x=the next highest SSDT you have. Example if SSDT-4.aml is in your /Extra folder name new file SSDT-5.aml)and placed in /Extra. Some people say you can use the SSDT_pr.dsl file but I have not tried it this way. 

Do NOT use GeneratePStates or GeneratePStates=yes or NullCPUPowerMngt in org.chameleon.boot.plist, But Add DROPSSDT=yes.

Now what we get is P-states that show 8,35,36,37,38,39 depending on your processor this may differ somewhat. The point is we are missing the PStates between 8 and 35. Or are We? Power management is working. You have lowest state for  least power and best cooling, and top highest state + Turbo States for high demand. What the kicker is, is that AICPUPM.kext is not loaded. So something is wrong? No not really, Just different. If you look at a dump of Kexts fro real MacBookAir6,2 it dosen't load AICPUPM.kext either!! So the problem that we have been discussing is not really a problem after all! No worries about your CPU overheating cause it will throttle back to its lowest P-State! And during hi demand with throttle up as needed.

May this change in the future?? Yes it may, but for now its what we have and it does work just like real Mac.

Thanks to TimeWalker75A for a well thought out explanation!!!!  

I tried this using following steps:

1. Downloaded https://raw.github.c...ls/ssdtPRGen.sh from http://olarila.com/f...start=10#p12849.

2. Ran

chmod +x Downloads/ssdtPRGen.sh

and ran it in Terminal.

3. Ended up with ssdt_pr.aml and ssdt_pr.dsl (both attached).

4. Placed ssdt_pr.aml in /Extra and renamed it to SSDT.aml.

5. Made sure that only boot flag was DROPSSDT=yes (and my other essential ones)

6. Made sure that no NullCPUPM kext was present in my system.

7. Rebooted. Got some other info when running sudo dmesg in terminal (attached).

8. No mention of IOPPF:XCPM.

What can I do? Is this to be expected?

Attached Files

Cobra03

Cobra03

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 104 posts

Can you send /Extra folder? 

slemblod

slemblod

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 89 posts

Here it is.

i'm using Enoch bootloader 2254, by the way. Is that a bad idea?

Attached Files

Picasso

Picasso

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 239 posts

Amazing work Cobra03. (And Thanks Slemblod, I run behind your observations).

Exist a way to check that its working normally? I mean, HW Monitor or sth like that?

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: haswell, gtx, 670, gigabyte, geforce, evga, i5, sound, AppleHDA, VoodooHDA

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy