Asrock Haswell, anyone?

Sphinx777

14 posts in this topic

Please, someone would have already able to install ML or Mavericks in an Asrock Z87 (Haswell)? So far I have not found anyone that has done it.

If someone could, please make a tutorial for everyone.

Important files posted here and DSDT dump for analysis (Asrock Z87e-itx):

Thanks.

The installation method should be standard. However, I have little knowledge about Haswell, though I know it is supported. I'm also not sure of specifics such as what features are natively supported such as integrated graphics, but I believe it works fine with a DSDT edit. You should test it, if you have not already done so, because why not?

Just by not being a default installation is that there is not still a successful installation of this brand motherboard using Haswell in any forum. So that's why we are asking that if anyone could, please post a way.

I think I see what you're saying. Try finding a post about a motherboard that closely resembles yours. I've seen successful Haswell installs using some of the more popular motherboards here i.e Gigabyte. Again, I recommend trying an install on a small partition, if you need the MBR patch, that is available. Way easier to try than to dig through the depths of the internet, so to speak. 

ช่วยแปลไทยด้วยนะครับ ให้คุณเอา dsdt.aml ผมทำให้แล้ว เปิดการ์ดจอ HD4600 

This allows you to Thailand with my dsdt.aml I took the turn card HD4600.

DSDT.zip

• Like 1

i saw the same post on olarila was looking to see if still has locked msr and if multiplexing had been fixed on 3.0 ports.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Chiming in as another Z87E-ITX owner.

Currently running a fairly fragile OSX 10.9 install (used myHack 3.3.1) on my setup. Loose ends at present:

• Used a PMPatched v2.0 of the ASRock BIOS, otherwise OSX fails to boot. Did try using PMPatch v0.5.13 to patch a stock copy of the v2.10 BIOS, but attempting to do so results in segfault 11 as has been mentioned elsewhere. The developer (CodeRush?) says this is an OSX specific issue, but I don't feel like installing Windows to work around it.

• Intel HD 4600 doesn't properly initialize (no kext loaded—see screenshot #1). This induces effects like graphical flickering in Safari (but not Chromium). I'm guessing this is due to QE/CI being unable to do proper HW acceleration, etc.

• No sound output. Installing the ALC1150 drivers leaves bootup stalled; removing HDAEnabler1.kext from /System/Library/Extensions at least allows for a normal startup.

• Quite a few SMC errors are spat out whilst booting.

• Plugging in external USB drives after system startup causes kernel panics.

• OSX Hardware Profiler reports DIMM A running @ 2400MHz and DIMM B @ 1600MHz (see screenshot #2)… yet in the UEFI both are reported @ 2400MHz. I'm curious if updating to BIOS v2.10 might correct this, but I'm stuck on v2.0 for now given the aforementioned.

I think that covers everything thus far.

tmBc45h.png

xXIQ1PQ.png

Chameleon Boot plist

NRpVppA.png

Hardware:

Motherboard: ASRock Z87E-ITX LGA 1150 Intel Z87 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 Mini ITX Intel I217V Lan 802.11ac WiFi

CPU: Intel Core i7-4771 Haswell 3.5GHz (3.9GHz Turbo) LGA 1150 84W Quad-Core Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics 4600

Memory: G.SKILL Trident X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 2400 (PC3 19200)

Storage: Samsung 840 Pro Series MZ-7PD256BW 2.5" 256GB SATA III MLC Internal SSD

Case: Fractal Design Node 304 FD-CA-NODE-304-BL Black Aluminum / Steel Mini-ITX Tower

Monitor: LG 22EA53 IPS

I have Mavericks running on an Asrock Z87 Extreme9/ac.  Intel i7 4770K overclocked to 4.4ghz.  works well with a Sapphire 7970.  Also works with the integrated graphics.  Sound works with the onboard ALC 1150.  BIOS had to be patched using pmpatch in windows.

Still to be resolved:

OSX does not recognize thunderbolt hardware  Seems to work now.  I changed the bios settings for Thunderbolt to load the Thunderbolt option ROM at boot.  I also disabled the wake on Thunderbolt option.  I booted with a Firewire to Thunderbolt adapter connected to an external Firewire drive.  The drive was recognized and accessible.  A look at loaded extensions showed the Thunderbolt kexts loaded.  Selecting Thunderbolt in the system report showed that it had changed for "no Thunderbolt hardware found" to "no drivers loaded".

Sleep not working (screen blanks but computer keeps running)

iMessage not working:    Fixed.  I needed to load FileNVRAM.dylib using Chameleon Wizard

post-1205035-0-58563700-1385245096_thumb.jpg

post-1205035-0-21600900-1385245118_thumb.jpg

post-1205035-0-86724700-1385245131_thumb.jpg

Update:

• Apparently OSX10.9 or this mbd (or some combo thereof) strongly dislikes DVI-connected displays; I figured this out on a whim by hooking my computer up to a TV via HDMI—magically, it worked. So I bought a DVI → HDMI adapter and viola, graphical problems resolved (Note: This also required inputting IntelAzulFB=10 in /Extras/org.chameleon.Boot.plist; I assume this is why I was getting a black screen after bootup before when trying Chimera, as it does this automatically). To reiterate: Use anything but the DVI port on this motherboard for connecting a display if you're relying on integrated graphics in OSX10.9, else you'll deal with the same headaches I encountered. The System Profiler:Graphics/Displays panel now appropriately reads like this:
cr0x2K0.png
• This has resolved sound issues as well; I installed toleda's ALC1150 drivers and they work flawlessly it appears.

Update:

• Apparently OSX10.9 or this mbd (or some combo thereof) strongly dislikes DVI-connected displays; I figured this out on a whim by hooking my computer up to a TV via HDMI—magically, it worked. So I bought a DVI → HDMI adapter and viola, graphical problems resolved (Note: This also required inputting IntelAzulFB=10 in /Extras/org.chameleon.Boot.plist; I assume this is why I was getting a black screen after bootup before when trying Chimera, as it does this automatically). To reiterate: Use anything but the DVI port on this motherboard for connecting a display if you're relying on integrated graphics in OSX10.9, else you'll deal with the same headaches I encountered. The System Profiler:Graphics/Displays panel now appropriately reads like this:

cr0x2K0.png

• This has resolved sound issues as well; I installed toleda's ALC1150 drivers and they work flawlessly it appears.

Could you please tell us what board you're using? And for the IntelAzulFB=10 to work, do I need to load any kext?

I've been trying for 2 weeks now, with every trick I inderstand to get Mavericks on a Asrock Z87 pro4 board, but no luck at all.

Best result I had was to get the Pandora installer without the -x boot and the network up and running after install. But even the installs won't run without -x

I did patched my BIOS, and disabled VT-d.

The Asrock Z87 pro4 has an ALC892 for sound and I'm trying to get the integrated graphics runnig (no external videocard) from the i5-4570

Any tips would be appriciated.

Could you please tell us what board you're using?

Z87E-ITX (see earlier post)

And for the IntelAzulFB=10 to work, do I need to load any kext?

I didn't have to load any special kexts for that—just add the IntelAzulFB=10 key/value pair to your chameleon bootloader plist. For instance, mine looks like this:

cOdJmvE.png

This alone didn't fix my problem though as the screen would go black after bootup. What did fix it is plugging my display into the motherboard's HDMI port instead of the DVI port; I suspect the DisplayPort would work also. DVI just doesn't.

I've been trying for 2 weeks now, with every trick I inderstand to get Mavericks on a Asrock Z87 pro4 board, but no luck at all.

Best result I had was to get the Pandora installer without the -x boot and the network up and running after install. But even the installs won't run without -x

Turn verbose log output on (add bootflag -v) and see where your system stalls on normal bootup. That should start giving you ideas of where the problem lays. I had bootup stalls (without -x) when HDAEnabler1.kext was enabled (that is, before I fixed the aforesaid display/graphics issue—it works fine now); for the time being I was able to bootup normally by disabling HDAEnabler1.kext (i.e. make sure it's removed from /System/Library/Extensions & /Extras/Extensions).

Thnx for helping.

I got one step further: I'm now able to boot without the -x. I removed HDAEnabler1.kext and replaced a broken FakeSMC.kext and that fixed the boot.

But I still haven't got the graphics working properly. My boot loader plist now looks exactly like yours but it doesn't fix the graphics issue. Still no sound either.

If you have more tips I would be grateful.

Got it all working now, with special thanks to Artur-pt.

It seems that replacing the broken FakeSMC.kext also disabled the HD4600 graphics and ALC892 audio.

HD4600 works with IntelAzulFB=10 in the boot.plist and VoodooHDA 4.8.2 for the audio.

It seems that waking from hibernate doesn't wake the screen but I'll be looking at that later.