Just bought the new Alienware m14

awak3

4 posts in this topic

Hey everyone!

I just purchased the new version of the Alienware m14 formely known as the m14 x. I decided to get this laptop because it was actually cheaper than the xps but overall killed it in performance. The only thing was, the xps I was going to get actually supported OS X 86 and I see that there is little to no support for this new Alienware.

My little monster comes in a few days and I have decided that I'm going to take on the project of installing hackintosh. I've done some research and seen a few people have tried to install it and a lot have failed. This laptop is set up for Mac but the drivers cause the issues.

I seen this thread here

This seems to be the most success anyone has had that I could find. The specifications don't differ too much, except for the gaming card I have, which doesn't matter because Mac will only recognize the onboard card. My question is, will this be possible and has anyone else had success or attempted this install on this particular laptop model and what road bumps did you run into?

Thanks!

This one? http://www.dell.com/us/p/alienware-14/pd.aspx

10.8.5+ or 10.9 required. All new Alienware 14 chips are Haswell + HD Graphics 4600

Not a Hackintosh friendly machine.

The link you included in your post is for an Ivy Bridge Alienware which IS much more Hackintosh friendly.

HM87 (Haswell) is completely different than HM77 (IvyBridge)

• Like 1

As joe_black suggested, I recommend you wait for the public release of OS X 10.8.5 for partial support, or if you want full, proper support, wait for the public release of Mavericks. You're going to have kernel troubles with Haswell with any current release of OS X. Unless you're a developer and can download a dev release of either build, I suggest you work with Windows for now. Its only about 2 months more, maximum. So you'll have to wait. Sorry, mate.

• Like 2