What guide/procedure for an Aspire 6935G Hackintosh?

moreorless

16 posts in this topic

Hi,

I've an Acer Aspire 6935G (Core2 Duo 2.26GHz , 4GB RAM, NVIDIA 9600M GT 512MB) and I'd like to give this notebook some real use by turning it into a Hackintosh. Searching the forums, I've found a guide in Italian, but it's a bit old, so I don't know if there're newer procedures which might work with this laptop.

What docs/guides or tools would you follow as an starting point if you were going to do a Hackintosh with this laptop? Can I face more compatibility problems with Mountain Lion than with previous OSX releases?

I never did a Hackintosh before, but this laptop is a bit old, so I'm not sure what documents should I start with, so that I don't follow outdated stuff.

Thanks a lot!

Your processor works on ML and your GPU works OOB on ML. But you need to list Ethernet, wifi and audio because without them your hackintosh is a bit pointless. I think the best tutorial for you to start of with is this: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/280756-guide-the-all-in-one-guide-to-vanilla-os-x-including-chameleon-dsdt-for-beginners/

• Like 1

Hi,

In addition to the above, have a look at the Italian topic, look at what you will need as an "Extra", ignore audio and ethernet, just get it to boot, after that look on the forum for the Mountain Lion files for your hardware.

You will probably have to patch the AppleIntelCPUPowermanagement, i do not know if it is described in that topic. To start, use NullCPUPowermanagement. 

If you can face more problems, of course! But there might be less. Nobody can answer that question, you will have to test it yourself :)

• Like 1

Thanks a lot for your advice. Btw, would an external SDD via USB 2.0 be slower than the internal 320GB HDD of this Aspire 6935G? (yes, I know it's a waste to use an SDD through USB 2.0, I'm just asking if it would be slower than the mechanical HDD of this Acer). If it's the same speed or even slightly faster, I might choose to do the OSX install on an external SDD, because that way I'd have more disk space and I'd save myself from the repartitioning nightmare.

Just found that this Aspire 6935G has an eSATAp port!! However, searching the guides (including the guide for beginners you suggested me) I didn't found much info about doing the Hackintosh on an external disk. Is it feasible? Is it more difficult than doing it on the internal disk? Do I need to follow a different guide, or the guide for beginners can be used with no changes? Do you warn me against doing an external installation through eSATAp, or is it a good idea? (Yes, I know it's a lot of questions :lol: )

I asked because if I choose to go external, I need to buy a SSD (and I guess that a docking station too, for the eSATA interface), and I don't wish to lose money. Anyway, if it should work, I don't have problems in buying it, although experience from people who boot OSX on external disks might be very helpful (ie: any known compatibility problems? Does eSATA work for an external boot? )

If you read this: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/282449-how-can-i-read-my-esata-external-drive/page-2. He doesn't install on the eSATA but the drive does get detected so i think you can install it without problems when it gets detected. I'm just thinking if Chameleon/Clover would detect the drive.

Yes, and in the mean time I've found this Aspire BIOS has USB in the boot sequence in BIOS, but doesn't have eSATA as a selectable option for boot. This worries me. Searching the forums, I've found this post (http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/183432-snow-leopard-on-acer-aspire-5930g/?p=1248492 )  which comments a simmilar situation on another Aspire model (no eSATA in the BIOS boot sequence). Another poster replies telling that shouldn't be a problem because the internal disk can have hooks to the eSATA disk, but I see that kind of comments too complicated for me, which never did a Hackintosh before.

So I think I'd better install it on the internal HDD. I'll have to repartition (I currently have Vista and Ubuntu: I'll erase Ubuntu, and resize the Vista partition to the minimum possible size). I'll search for some guide for the recommended way of partitioning a laptop for OSX (the beginners guide doesn't enter into repartitioning details).

Thanks for all your help!!

I'm almost ready to begin. However, I've one doubt about the guide: What MBR patch should I choose? I see there's a different patch for each of the 10.8.x releases. I bought Mountain Lion last year at the App Store, and I burnt it into a disk. I think it was 10.8.0, but however I wish to update to 10.8.4 later. What patch version must I choose?

I'm having a problem creating the installer USB: It's a restore of the OSX Base System image, so it has only 123MB free, no matter how big is your USB. Because of this, the Packages folder cannot be copied into it, and I cannot proceed beyond this point. I've posted this question at the guide thread, here: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/280756-guide-the-all-in-one-guide-to-vanilla-os-x-including-chameleon-dsdt-for-beginners/?p=1937094

• 2 months later...

Hi,

I Have the same 6935g laptop

I Have a 120gb SSD and replaced the optical drive with a 750gb HDD

I have been dual booting this machine with Windows 7 and at first Snow Leopard, then Lion, then Mountain Lion and just yesterday, Mavericks.

All rock solid with everything working except mic.

If ya need any help just hola

:thumbsup_anim:  :thumbsup_anim:  :thumbsup_anim:

• 1 month later...

Hi,

I Have the same 6935g laptop

I Have a 120gb SSD and replaced the optical drive with a 750gb HDD

I have been dual booting this machine with Windows 7 and at first Snow Leopard, then Lion, then Mountain Lion and just yesterday, Mavericks.

All rock solid with everything working except mic.

If ya need any help just hola

:thumbsup_anim:  :thumbsup_anim:  :thumbsup_anim:

Hi  :) I have the same laptop and I install Mavericks and I can boot in to the system but I have problem with audio and Wifi! What kext you using for audio and Wifi??

Thank you for your help in advance!

• 2 years later...