How to Install OS X 10.x (Snow Leopard to El Capitan) in VMware Workstation 10/11, Workstation Pro/Player 12, Player 6/7, ESXi 5/6

410 posts in this topic

Paul,

I have updated the original post in this topic to cover Snow Leopard, as purchasing the OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard) DVD is the only method to install Vanilla OS X if you do not have access to an OS X machine physical or virtual.

Also since I have not installed Snow Leopard for quite some time, I have done a fresh Snow Leopard install from an ISO created from the retail DVD (I do have the DVD somewhere, just not to hand), in an unlocked (v1.2.0) Workstation 10.0.1, and as my processor is an Intel Core i7 I needed to add the CPUID mask to the VMX configuration file before starting the OS X virtual machine. Once installed patch to the latest version 10.6.8, install VMware Tools and all runs OK. You can then download OS X 10.9 Mavericks from the Mac App Store.

Thanks a lot MSoK.  My media should arrive in a few days - hopefully by the weekend, so I'll give it a try and report how I get on.  Since my CPU is pretty old, I suspect the CPUID won't be an issue for me.  That would probably be a nice problem to have...

Thanks a lot MSoK.  My media should arrive in a few days - hopefully by the weekend, so I'll give it a try and report how I get on.  Since my CPU is pretty old, I suspect the CPUID won't be an issue for me.  That would probably be a nice problem to have...

Paul,

You are right your processor will probably work fine with OS X 10.6.3, but always better to have all the relevant information, i.e. CPUID to hand just in case, as if your processor is not supported it is a show stopper without the CPUID mask!

• Like 1

Thanks.

I used the guide to create a working vanilla install of 10.9 on my Surface Pro 2. I can finally leave my Macbook Pro at home when I travel as I can use VMware for proper apple remote desktop support.

Although in 10.9 the maps app does not work, it's not a big deal breaker to me.

Overall, this makes the SP2 well worth it.

So I installed 5.1u1 and was able to get into the OS X installer and deploy the image. But after updating build 5.1u2 via command line and then to the latest 5.1 build 1612806, I have been unable to enter the OS X installer on either build. Have you all had issues with this?

I've rerun unlocked and still cannot get it to work - I get a spinning rainbow wheel. I think I might go back to 5.1u1 or maybe even deploy a 5.1u1 nested VM and then deploy OSX from there.

I ran the uninstall.sh for Unlocker120, rebooted, and ran install.sh, and then rebooted. I started up my OS X 10.9 Image, and it doesn't to boot. I will attempt to create a new 10.8 image and maybe that will work. Are there any logs specifically i should look at?

I still get a spinning Rainbow Wheel and Grey Screen...

I had followed this page to create my image:

techiezone.rottigni.net/2013/11/installing-mavericks-on-esxi-5-1/

I ran the uninstall.sh for Unlocker120, rebooted, and ran install.sh, and then rebooted. I started up my OS X 10.9 Image, and it doesn't to boot. I will attempt to create a new 10.8 image and maybe that will work. Are there any logs specifically i should look at?

I still get a spinning Rainbow Wheel and Grey Screen...

I had followed this page to create my image:

techiezone.rottigni.net/2013/11/installing-mavericks-on-esxi-5-1/

The_Moves,

Not sure about the script you have found to create a bootable DMG from the Mavericks App Store download, the one I know works is from Donk, see link below:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/290949-how-to-install-os-x-10x-snow-leopard-lion-mountain-lion-and-mavericks-in-vmware-workstation-910-or-player-56/?p=1957242

The DMG created will boot in both Workstation 10 and ESXi 5.x or later, ideally ESXi 5.5 which has full support for Mavericks.

If you have downloaded Mountain Lion from the App Store you can just extract the DMG and use in ESXi 5.x or convert to an ISO, instructions at the beginning of this thread.

Are there any ESXi Logs that I should look at specifically?

I went ahead and upgraded to the latest 5.5 build per your suggestion - and... it worked! I find it strange that I was able to get an install on vanilla 5.1u1, but oh well! Just updating now.

Though, the only thing I tried differently was changing the Hard Disk from SCSI to IDE.

Also noticed the full extent of the Topic of this thread, sorry to bring ESXi into it :-/

• 3 weeks later...

Hello All, sorry if this question has been answered before, but i cannot find it anywhere.

I have downloaded the new os x Mavericks, and i am trying to install it on VMware workstation 9, but it gets stuck on the apple logo and then after a while the apple logo turns to a circle with a line through it. 

post-1321803-0-67163300-1395575500_thumb.jpg

What I Have done so far:

Ran the unlocker for vmware to run os x

reinstalled vmware and unlocker patch

used 3 different mac install .iso / .dmg

converted .dmg to .iso because the .dmg does not work on my vmware.

Again sorry if this was answered before, please point me in the right direction.

Are you booting as EFI or BIOS? If using BIOS, u will want to boot into [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] or some Chameleon variant first and use some boot flags, which ones I am exactly unsure of.

Hello All, sorry if this question has been answered before, but i cannot find it anywhere.

I have downloaded the new os x Mavericks, and i am trying to install it on VMware workstation 9, but it gets stuck on the apple logo and then after a while the apple logo turns to a circle with a line through it. 

What I Have done so far:

Ran the unlocker for vmware to run os x

reinstalled vmware and unlocker patch

used 3 different mac install .iso / .dmg

converted .dmg to .iso because the .dmg does not work on my vmware.

Again sorry if this was answered before, please point me in the right direction.

OK, so what is the spec of your machine, assuming it as an Intel CPU with VT-x enabled in BIOS, also switch to Workstation 10.0.1 or Player 6.0.1 ad install the latest unlocker 1.3.0 although 1.2.0 is fine for Workstation 10 or Player 6 then a retail download of OS X 10.9 from the App Store converted to DMG, see details in the first couple of posts in this thread, should install fine, no need to convert to ISO for W10 or P6.

If you have downloaded OS X Mavericks from anywhere else the chances are it is not a vanilla image, if you do not have access to a real mac or OS X VM then go to the Apple On-line Store and buy the DVD of Snow Leopard, this will install fine as a VM, and you can then download and upgrade to OS X Mavericks.

where would i find whether it is booting into EFI or BIOS? 

If you have installed the unlocker , booting OS X as a VM in Workstation will default to EFI, so that is not your issue.

OK, so what is the spec of your machine, assuming it as an Intel CPU with VT-x enabled in BIOS, also switch to Workstation 10.0.1 or Player 6.0.1 ad install the latest unlocker 1.3.0 although 1.2.0 is fine for Workstation 10 or Player 6 then a retail download of OS X 10.9 from the App Store converted to DMG, see details in the first couple of posts in this thread, should install fine, no need to convert to ISO for W10 or P6.

If you have downloaded OS X Mavericks from anywhere else the chances are it is not a vanilla image, if you do not have access to a real mac or OS X VM then go to the Apple On-line Store and buy the DVD of Snow Leopard, this will install fine as a VM, and you can then download and upgrade to OS X Mavericks.

If you have installed the unlocker , booting OS X as a VM in Workstation will default to EFI, so that is not your issue.

I have VMware Workstation 9, and i installed 1.2.0, my machine is:

i7 2600k

asus p8z68 v-pro

16 gigs ram,

VT-x is enabled as i have 7 other virtual machines.

I got mavericks from a mate that has a mac, who got it from an apple store.

Thanks For the quick responses guys

• Like 1

I'm a total newbie into Mac world. 

But, Thanks a lot MSoK, I've followed your post and got OS X 10.9.2 using Workstation 10 on Win 8.1 x64bit.

Although it is not as perfect, it's a little snaggy sometimes. Still perfect for testing purposes and using some apps that are native to MAC only.

I've installed the latest drivers and still One major issue is flash player, don't know it doesn't work sometimes. But in chrome flash is perfect, but chrome is way too laggy for me. Is this common in WorkStation OSX? 

Hi...

I have a Snow Leopard Server 10.6.8 VM that I'm trying to upgrade to Mavericks. I downloaded the Mavericks installer via the App Store in the VM, ran the installer, which rebooted the VM, gets as far as the Apple logo, and there it sits with brief HD activity every couple of seconds.

Some info:

- Using Workstation 7, which I know isn't officially listed as a supported version, but I'm stuck on this version for compatibility with software on another VM

- ran the unlocker

- host machine is Dell M 4700, Win 7, intel i7. I added the cpuid line to the vmx file per some earlier posts

Any thoughts would be appreciated...

thx...

Hi...

I have a Snow Leopard Server 10.6.8 VM that I'm trying to upgrade to Mavericks. I downloaded the Mavericks installer via the App Store in the VM, ran the installer, which rebooted the VM, gets as far as the Apple logo, and there it sits with brief HD activity every couple of seconds.

Some info:

- Using Workstation 7, which I know isn't officially listed as a supported version, but I'm stuck on this version for compatibility with software on another VM

- ran the unlocker

- host machine is Dell M 4700, Win 7, intel i7. I added the cpuid line to the vmx file per some earlier posts

Any thoughts would be appreciated...

thx...

pmac100,

The CPUID should only be required for your Snow Leopard Install, once upgraded to 10.6.8 your CPU should be supported. I think you are going to struggle with Workstation 7, see posts by Aidzer0. You should be able to run either Workstation 10 or Player 6 and provided you leave your hardware compatibility at Version 7 for your other VM all should work as expected, and you will be able to either upgrade your 10.6.8 to 10.9 or having extracted the DMG, see the second post in this thread, do a clean install of Mavericks.

pmac100,

The CPUID should only be required for your Snow Leopard Install, once upgraded to 10.6.8 your CPU should be supported. I think you are going to struggle with Workstation 7, see posts by Aidzer0. You should be able to run either Workstation 10 or Player 6 and provided you leave your hardware compatibility at Version 7 for your other VM all should work as expected, and you will be able to either upgrade your 10.6.8 to 10.9 or having extracted the DMG, see the second post in this thread, do a clean install of Mavericks.

I appreciate the reply MSoK...

I uninstalled Workstation 7 and installed Player 6. Re-ran the unlocker (not sure it was necessary just to upgrade 10.6.8 to Mavericks). Started 10.6.8 VM, double-clicked the Mavericks installer, it rebooted the VM... back to 10.6.8, no attempt to upgrade. Tried a couple more times, same result.

So... I thought I'd go the route of creating a new VM using the 10.9 installer downloaded in 10.6.8, using the Create Mavericks Installer script mentioned in the second post of this thread. Downloaded the script, removed the .txt extension, left the source and destination locations as is. Confirmed the Mavericks installer was in the Applications folder, and that the destination location used by the script did exist. Right-clicked the script, opened with Terminal, Terminal opened and just sat there at the prompt. Nothing created in the destination...

So, I appear to be 0 for 2...

I appreciate the reply MSoK...

I uninstalled Workstation 7 and installed Player 6. Re-ran the unlocker (not sure it was necessary just to upgrade 10.6.8 to Mavericks). Started 10.6.8 VM, double-clicked the Mavericks installer, it rebooted the VM... back to 10.6.8, no attempt to upgrade. Tried a couple more times, same result.

So... I thought I'd go the route of creating a new VM using the 10.9 installer downloaded in 10.6.8, using the Create Mavericks Installer script mentioned in the second post of this thread. Downloaded the script, removed the .txt extension, left the source and destination locations as is. Confirmed the Mavericks installer was in the Applications folder, and that the destination location used by the script did exist. Right-clicked the script, opened with Terminal, Terminal opened and just sat there at the prompt. Nothing created in the destination...

So, I appear to be 0 for 2...

pmac100,

I have updated the second post in this thread, with the original version of the "Create Mavericks Installer.tool" and relevant instructions to use it, hopefully you will be able to create the required OS X Mavericks DMG file for a clean install. I have also added the processor and memory changes required to your Snow Leopard virtual machine to allow upgrade to Mavericks.

Hope this helps.

pmac100,

I have updated the second post in this thread, with the original version of the "Create Mavericks Installer.tool" and relevant instructions to use it, hopefully you will be able to create the required OS X Mavericks DMG file for a clean install. I have also added the processor and memory changes required to your Snow Leopard virtual machine to allow upgrade to Mavericks.

Hope this helps.

MSoK-

Just wanted to say thanks for your help, I'm up and running with a 10.9 VM via VMPlayer 6.

For some reason, I still was not able to upgrade my 10.6.8 VM; even with the suggested changes, the installer kept rebooting the VM back to 10.6.8.

So I went the route of a clean install, using the script to create a bootable .dmg of the 10.9 installer downloaded in the 10.6.8 VM. The trickiest part for me on this route was getting the .dmg back into the Win7 host machine so VMPlayer could use it for the install. Couldn't copy it via Shared Folders, couldn't put it on a USB stick (not visible to the 10.6.8 VM). I eventually mounted the 10.6.8 public folder via SMB in Win 7 and copied the file from there into where I needed it....

MSoK-

Just wanted to say thanks for your help, I'm up and running with a 10.9 VM via VMPlayer 6.

For some reason, I still was not able to upgrade my 10.6.8 VM; even with the suggested changes, the installer kept rebooting the VM back to 10.6.8.

So I went the route of a clean install, using the script to create a bootable .dmg of the 10.9 installer downloaded in the 10.6.8 VM. The trickiest part for me on this route was getting the .dmg back into the Win7 host machine so VMPlayer could use it for the install. Couldn't copy it via Shared Folders, couldn't put it on a USB stick (not visible to the 10.6.8 VM). I eventually mounted the 10.6.8 public folder via SMB in Win 7 and copied the file from there into where I needed it....

pmac100,

Glad you are all sorted, do not quite understand the issue with shared folders, just checked in Snow Leopard and was able to transfer the Mavericks DMG (6GB) both ways, you did remember to set the share to Enabled not Read-only?

Thank you for such a straight forward guide. I managed to install OS X 10.9.2 from a dmg onto a Guest OS in Player 6, as per the instructions in the 2nd post. I also went through the VMTools and drivers, etc. and now all the sluggishness is gone except for a couple apps in the VM that I don't really care about. 

One thing that I still need help with that was not addressed in your guide is the screen resolution when in full screen. Everything is so tiny! Granted, my laptop has a small screen to start...

The VM is picking up my host's native resolution (2560 x 1440) and that's the only option I have. I can change the resolution inside the VM by changing the resolution in my Windows host, but then I'm stuck using crayons on my Windows machine if I want a usable resolution in my OS X VM. There must be a more elegant solution?

• 4 weeks later...

Hello,

I try to install os x 10.6.3 on VMWare Workstation 10.
I have installed VMWare 1.3.0 Unlooker but I do not have OSX 10.6 (only 10.6 osx server) ...
I use the dvd osx directly and I tested with Mac OS X Server 10.6 64-bit and Mac OS X Server 10.6.
The installation starts normally but then I get an error: Setup was unable to copy the files necessary support.

• 4 weeks later...