How to Install OS X 10.x (Snow Leopard to El Capitan) in VMware Workstation 10/11, Workstation Pro/Player 12, Player 6/7, ESXi 5/6

410 posts in this topic

• 4 weeks later...

Checking for confirmation of successful install using official 10.10 release. Currently using Workstation 10.03, Unlocker 1.30, 10.9 guest (10.10 not on the list). I get it to boot from the InstallESD.dmg image, run the disk utility to create/format a partition, and select the new volume for install. It shows installing with 16 minutes remaining, then immediately shows this screen. Any suggestions?

Thanks!

JJ

OS X could not be installed on your computer. The operation couldn't be completed. Undefined error: 0. Quit the installer to restart your computer and try again.

Checking for confirmation of successful install using official 10.10 release. Currently using Workstation 10.03, Unlocker 1.30, 10.9 guest (10.10 not on the list). I get it to boot from the InstallESD.dmg image, run the disk utility to create/format a partition, and select the new volume for install. It shows installing with 16 minutes remaining, then immediately shows this screen. Any suggestions?

Thanks!

JJ

JJ,

OK, creating the InstallESD.dmg for the released version of 10.10 using the Mavericks CMI script produces the "OS X could not be installed on your computer" error. We will need to do some reverse engineering from Fusion 7 to come up with a solution. Fusion 7 creates a temporary disk as well as a DMG file to install Yosemite.

Thanks!

JJ

OS X could not be installed on your computer. The operation couldn't be completed. Undefined error: 0. Quit the installer to restart your computer and try again.

Hi JJ,

I make creating ISO script for Yosemite inspired by following post.

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/290949-how-to-install-os-x-10x-snow-leopard-lion-mountain-lion-and-mavericks-in-vmware-workstation-910-or-player-56/?do=findComment&comment=1937757

You might want to try this.

#!/bin/bash
#
# This executable converts a Yosemite .app (which allows to upgrade a machine
# from Mac OS 10.6.7+ to Yosemite) into a Yosemite .dmg (which allows to
# install Yosemite from scratch on a machine).
#

set -x
set -e

# The first argument is the path to the .app bundle (the input of the
# executable).
inputApp="$1"
# The second argument is the path to the .dmg file (the output of the
# executable), which must end with ".dmg".
outputDmg="$2"
[ "${outputDmg: -4}" = .dmg ]

#
# The problem: /System/Installation/Packages inside /BaseSystem.dmg inside
# "$inputApp"/Contents/SharedSupport/InstallESD.dmg is a dangling symlink,
# which prevents installing Yosemite from scratch.
# The solution: Replace the symlink with the /Packages directory inside
# "$inputApp"/Contents/SharedSupport/InstallESD.dmg.
#

tmpDir=`mktemp -d -t 'Create Yosemite Installer'`
installMnt="$tmpDir"/install
installPkg="$installMnt"/Packages
outputMnt="$tmpDir"/output
outputPkg="$outputMnt"/System/Installation/Packages

cleanup() {
   if [ -d "$outputMnt" ]; then
      hdiutil detach "$outputMnt"
   fi

if [ -d "$installMnt" ]; then
      hdiutil detach "$installMnt"
   fi

rmdir -- "$tmpDir"
}

# Cleanup on failure.
trap cleanup ERR

# Mount InstallESD.dmg so we can access /BaseSystem.dmg and /Packages inside.
hdiutil attach "$inputApp"/Contents/SharedSupport/InstallESD.dmg \
   -mountpoint "$installMnt" -noverify -nobrowse

# Create "$outputDmg", a read/write copy of the read-only BaseSystem.dmg.
hdiutil convert "$installMnt"/BaseSystem.dmg -format UDRW -o "$outputDmg"

# Enlarge "$outputDmg" to accommodate for our modifications. The UDRW image
# format is not sparse, so we must precisely compute the new size.
curSectors=`hdiutil resize "$outputDmg" -limits | tail -1 | awk '{ print $2 }'`
extraSectors=`BLOCKSIZE=512 du -s -- "$installMnt" | awk '{ print $1 }'`
hdiutil resize "$outputDmg" -sectors $((curSectors + extraSectors))

# Mount "$outputDmg".
hdiutil attach "$outputDmg" -mountpoint "$outputMnt" -noverify -nobrowse

# Modify "$outputDmg".
rm -- "$outputPkg"
cp -r -- "$installPkg" "$outputPkg"

# It is the solution for the common error - The operation couldn't be completed. Undefined error: 0
cp "$installMnt"/BaseSystem.chunklist "$outputMnt"/BaseSystem.chunklist
cp "$installMnt"/BaseSystem.dmg "$outputMnt"/BaseSystem.dmg

# Cleanup on success.
trap ERR; cleanup

ls -alh -- "$outputDmg"

VMware have been busy and released updated versions of Workstation 10.0.4, Player 6.0.4 and Fusion 6.0.5 and 7.0.1 as of the end of October 2014, I can confirm both Workstation 10.0.4 and Player 6.0.4 continue to work with the latest version of Donk's Unlocker 1.3.0 for both Mavericks and Yosemite. Do not forget the update is a complete re-install so the unlocker will need to be re-applied.

I have not tested Fusion 6.0.5 as I am running 7.0.1 which is not supported by the unlocker. A copy of the latest darwin.iso from Fusion 7.0.1 can be found in the Download section of InsanelyMac, link below:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/files/file/31-vmware-tools-for-os-x-darwiniso/

VMware have been busy and released updated versions of Workstation 10.0.4, Player 6.0.4 and Fusion 6.0.5 and 7.0.1 as of the end of October 2014, I can confirm both Workstation 10.0.4 and Player 6.0.4 continue to work with the latest version of Donk's Unlocker 1.3.0. Do not forget the update is a complete re-install so the unlocker will need to be re-applied.

I have not tested Fusion 6.0.5 as I am running 7.0.1 which is not supported by the unlocker. A copy of the latest darwin.iso from Fusion 7.0.1 can be found in the Download section of InsanelyMac, link below:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/files/file/31-vmware-tools-for-os-x-darwiniso/

So I'm guessing there is still no way to get iMessage or Facetime working in VMWare Workstation? Searching this forum isn't returning much useful info. I have a regular MacBook Pro, and have Yosemite working in Workstation. Still no luck on iMessage though.

I have updated the "How To" content in this topic to include Yosemite as well as the latest versions of the Create Mavericks and Create Yosemite Installer scripts which create a bootable DMG file supported in both Workstation 10 and Player 6.

Hi,

I am using VMWare ESXi 5.5b on a test server at my work and have patched it with Unlocker 1.3.0.

After earlier attempts last month using Mavericks, I tried it again yesterday to create a bootable OSX 10.10 using the CYI.tool on my OSX10.10 and Fusion 7 for ESxi 5.5b. When I create a new VM I only see the option to install OSX 10.6 and 10.7 x64.. (no newer versions..?)

When I use the dmg file created by the script, it boots correctly in Fusion 7, but can't seem to use it on the ESXi 5.5b server, when starting up the VM it shows a black screen and an Apple logo and remains the same after that.

How can I get OSX to boot properly? I want to use OSX 10.10 server to use profile management at work.

Do I need to have Fusion 6 installed on my mac to use CYI.tool or do I need to use another script to create a bootable DMG/ISO.

Any help or tips are appricated.

Thanks in advance.

Regards,

Rick

• 2 weeks later...

I have updated the "How To" content in this topic to include Yosemite as well as the latest versions of the Create Mavericks and Create Yosemite Installer scripts which create a bootable DMG file supported in both Workstation 10 and Player 6.

Hi, MSoK

Regarding your attached CYI.tool.txt, "extraSectors" size isn't sufficient to store BaseSystem.chunklist and BaseSystem.dmg files.

Incorrect:

extraSectors=`BLOCKSIZE=512 du -s -- "$installPkg" | awk '{ print $1 }'`

Correct:

Please see my post.

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/290949-how-to-install-os-x-10x-snow-leopard-lion-mountain-lion-mavericks-and-yosemite-in-vmware-workstation-10-or-player-6/page-9?do=findComment&comment=2074610

Hi, MSoK

Regarding your attached CYI.tool.txt, "extraSectors" size isn't sufficient to store BaseSystem.chunklist and BaseSystem.dmg files.

Incorrect:

extraSectors=`BLOCKSIZE=512 du -s -- "$installPkg" | awk '{ print $1 }'`

Correct:

Please see my post.

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/290949-how-to-install-os-x-10x-snow-leopard-lion-mountain-lion-mavericks-and-yosemite-in-vmware-workstation-10-or-player-6/page-9?do=findComment&comment=2074610

A new version of the CYI.tool has been posted in this topic, see link below:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/290949-how-to-install-os-x-10x-snow-leopard-lion-mountain-lion-mavericks-and-yosemite-in-vmware-workstation-10-or-player-6/?p=1937757

The new version resolved the issue noted by shela, and I can confirm the new version creates a working .dmg of 10.10.0 or 10.10.1 for a clean install of Yosemite in VMware Workstation 10.0.4 and Fusion 7.0.1. 

• Like 1

Echoing the sentiments of others, thanks to all who have put so much effort into keeping the VM environment viable. You are all :superman: in my book!

I have a current working 10.8.5 install that has been through various Apple and VMware upgrades for the past couple of years. I'm a Computer Science PhD student and have really only used this VM for developing software for school projects. My current environment:

• i7-3930 3.2GHz
  • 24Gb RAM
  • Radeon 6900
  • OS and VMs on separate SSDs
  • Win 8.1 host
  • WS 10.0.4
  • Unlocker 1.30
  • VM at WS 10 compatibility
  • Darwin.iso from Fusion 7.01

I copied my OSX VM, set the OS in WS to 10.9, fired it up, and did the Yosemite upgrade. After the reboot, I installed VMware tools and rebooted. The background was black, there was no dock, and most apps crashed within several seconds. If an app didn't crash (example, App Store) it also didn't display anything beyond a menu and window background.

At this point, there's no way to know what kexts or drivers or other modifications I've made to keep this VM working. I really only need Xcode and Python and was spending too much time trying to get it to work so I decided on a clean install. I used the CYI.tool to create an install dmg and created a new, clean VM using the VMware wizard. Set the OS to 10.9. The new VM was created and installed fine. Everything looked good after setup - had the Yosemite color background and a dock. Apps opened, etc. Installed VMware tools and rebooted but had no working keyboard input!

In case anyone else runs into this problem, the fix turned out to be easy. In the VMware settings for the VM, set enhanced virtual keyboard from off to use if available. Ahh, sometimes it's the little things but I'll take 'em any day :yes: . In terms of performance, 10.10 is certainly slower than 10.8 but still acceptable even at 1916 x 1019 resolution.

So thanks again!

cb4,

On behalf of all at InsanelyMac, thanks for your kind comments. I have not had any issues with keyboard input not working but changing the setting in Edit virtual machine settings does not appear to have any negative effect for an existing VM, so probably worth setting, I will update the "How To".

Excellent guide.

A working Yosemite is a must due to: (iPad profile configuration, once iPad is on iOS 8 Windows based iPhone Configuration Utility no longer works, and Apple Configurator for iOS requires 10.10 only)

sebus

Also the scrip from here by Rich Trouton creates perfectly bootable iso (tested Yosemite in Workstation 10.0.4 with unlocker), but after install from it I could never finish Configure This Mac process, so it might be not as good for Workstation (had no time to troubleshoot) 

I have not tried vfuse yet, but might also be a possiblity

• 1 month later...

[..........]

To get the best out of the graphics, bearing in mind QE/CI are not supported in an OS X VM so applications that use QE/CI are not going to work correctly, Zenith432 has provided an enhanced graphics driver (VMsvga2_v1.2.5_OS_10.6-10.8.pkg) for Snow Leopard, Lion and Mountain Lion, and (VMsvga2_v1.2.5_OS_10.9.pkg) for Mavericks, as well as a patch for guest autofit (guestd_patches.pkg), see links below:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/188962-vmware-svga-ii-display-driver-for-os-x-v125/

http://sourceforge.net/projects/vmsvga2/files/Display/

The latest VMware Tools from Fusion 7 now provide the best graphics support for OS X virtual machines, and Zenith432 has stopped development of the VMsvga2 graphics drivers. The latest darwin.iso is available to download at the VMware CDS Repository, see link below:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/user/487896-msok/

http://softwareupdate.vmware.com/cds/vmw-desktop/

[..........]

Does anyone know if Xcode and Sketch 3 are among the affected applications (on Yosemite or Mavericks)?

Happy New Year, Best Wishes and Good Health to all board members.

EDIT: Xcode would be OK. But Sketch 3 depends heavily on Quartz. It's on Sketch's features page. Too bad.

Edited by InToGraphics

I have updated the first three posts in this "How To" topic, to include support for Workstation 11 and Player 7 as well as Yosemite. I have also included the link to JasF's BeamOff app which resolves the performance issues with Yosemite as a VMware virtual machine, the workaround will be added to the VMware Tools for a future release of Fusion 7, as confirmed by HPReg.

• 3 weeks later...

Native support for OS X 10.9 (Mavericks) is included in VMware Fusion 6 and ESXi 5.5 running on Apple hardware, and once unlocked Workstation 10, Player 6 and ESXi 5.5 but require hardware compatibility set to version 10.

Can someone explain this statement?

I have a MacMini I would like to install ESXi 5.5 on and virtualize OSX 10.6 through 10.10.

Can this be done successfully?  If so, what are the drawbacks?

From what I have read the main confusion was Fusion setting HW 11 to 10.10 boxes and ESXi 5.5 only recognizes HW 10.

Specifically I'm not sure I understand what "once unlocked" means in this context?  I would assume it means running the unlocker from this thread - but why is the unlocker needed to run on native hardware?

I might just be reading the sentence wrong and it means either/or.

Also, can someone else confirm that 10.10 will work on ESXi 5.5 as long as HW=10?

Can someone explain this statement?

I have a MacMini I would like to install ESXi 5.5 on and virtualize OSX 10.6 through 10.10.

Can this be done successfully?  If so, what are the drawbacks?

From what I have read the main confusion was Fusion setting HW 11 to 10.10 boxes and ESXi 5.5 only recognizes HW 10.

Specifically I'm not sure I understand what "once unlocked" means in this context?  I would assume it means running the unlocker from this thread - but why is the unlocker needed to run on native hardware?

I might just be reading the sentence wrong and it means either/or.

Also, can someone else confirm that 10.10 will work on ESXi 5.5 as long as HW=10?

You do not need to use the unlocker as ESXi is running on real Apple hardware. I would suggest you check out the VMware forums as this is supported by VMware engineers. Also suggest you read William Lam's blog www.virtuallygjetto.com. He is a VMware employee and has written about ESXi on Apple Macs.

I  had to downgrade the hardware compatability to 10.0 to get the installer to start.  Was giving me this error:

[msg.log.error.unrecoverable] VMware Workstation unrecoverable error: (vcpu-0)
2015-01-27T00:28:51.159-08:00| vcpu-0| I120+ vcpu-0:VERIFY vmcore/vmm/main/physMem_monitor.c:1123

Is that normal?

Hmm I gues it is normal.  Missed this info:

If you create a new VM using version 11 hardware VMware will stop and     |
| create a core dump.There are two options to work around this issue:         |
|                                                                             |
| 1. Change the VM to be HW 10 - this does not affect performance.         |
| 2. Edit the VMX file and add:                                             |
| smc.version = "0"       

Cheers!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all - great thread, thanks to all who have contributed! Sorry for asking what must seem a simplistic question for my first post!

I am having a problem trying to make a bootable dmg with the CMI.tool in that I have got the Install OS X Mavericks app in the default location within Applications, and I have run the cmhod on the tool, but when I run the tool I always get the same error mentioning hdiutil within the terminal screen:

+ set -e

+ inputApp=/Applications/InstallOSXMavericks.app

+ outputDmg=-/osx109.dmg

+ '[' .dmg = .dmg ']'

++ mktemp -d -t 'Create Mavericks Installer'

+ tmpDir='/var/folders/lt/6wxzwf9n1db5vv3fdp7mb8bw0000gn/T/Create Mavericks Installer.Y90sUsuz'

+ installMnt='/var/folders/lt/6wxzwf9n1db5vv3fdp7mb8bw0000gn/T/Create Mavericks Installer.Y90sUsuz/install'

+ installPkg='/var/folders/lt/6wxzwf9n1db5vv3fdp7mb8bw0000gn/T/Create Mavericks Installer.Y90sUsuz/install/Packages'

+ outputMnt='/var/folders/lt/6wxzwf9n1db5vv3fdp7mb8bw0000gn/T/Create Mavericks Installer.Y90sUsuz/output'

+ outputPkg='/var/folders/lt/6wxzwf9n1db5vv3fdp7mb8bw0000gn/T/Create Mavericks Installer.Y90sUsuz/output/System/Installation/Packages'

+ trap cleanup ERR

+ hdiutil attach /Applications/InstallOSXMavericks.app/Contents/SharedSupport/InstallESD.dmg -mountpoint '/var/folders/lt/6wxzwf9n1db5vv3fdp7mb8bw0000gn/T/Create Mavericks Installer.Y90sUsuz/install' -nobrowse

hdiutil: attach failed - No such file or directory

++ cleanup

++ '[' -d '/var/folders/lt/6wxzwf9n1db5vv3fdp7mb8bw0000gn/T/Create Mavericks Installer.Y90sUsuz/output' ']'

++ '[' -d '/var/folders/lt/6wxzwf9n1db5vv3fdp7mb8bw0000gn/T/Create Mavericks Installer.Y90sUsuz/install' ']'

++ rmdir -- '/var/folders/lt/6wxzwf9n1db5vv3fdp7mb8bw0000gn/T/Create Mavericks Installer.Y90sUsuz'

I'm sure it's something really noob-ish like the pathnames I've specified or similar. I have tried this with the original CMI.tool from Post 2 and I noticed another one a few pages further on and tried a completely fresh start - but I always get that same error.

Does the .dmg filename need to be formatted with a complete path to its location? Or maybe it is a permissions thing?

Can anyone spare a moment to correct my inevitable error?

Many thanks

S

Hi Everyone,

I have just discovered the world of hackintosh over the past week and let's just say I did alot of reading and tickering but so far no go, I can't even get out of the blocks. My issue is Vmware Workstation 11 and the Unlocker tool ver.204. I run the bat file win-install.cmd with admin privileges, it runs, backup's up the files and seems to work fine but when launching Vmware, no OS X option. Hmmm.

Is there any way to do this manually?

Thanks 

Got it working. ^_^