How to Install OS X 10.x (Snow Leopard to El Capitan) in VMware Workstation 10/11, Workstation Pro/Player 12, Player 6/7, ESXi 5/6

410 posts in this topic

Hey guys,

thanks for the response.

Yep, i added smc.version = "0" to the VMX File of the VM. The VM is on Version 10 as well. I also dont got error messages; VMware seemed to ignore the Image; it didnt boot from it. The VM started, i got a blank screen and after some seconds i saw the VMware Logo with the typical output of "i dont have something to boot from" which came from the "Bios" of the VM.

However, today i started my computer again and now it seems to work ^^ It boots the image and right now im at the "config installation screen" :) Strange. I must add that i installed my new Workstation fresh yesterday and havent done any restart. Could that be the reason?

If you look at all the posts relating to re-installing VMware Workstation or Installing the Unlocker, a re-boot is required for the changes to be implemented, so not strange at all!

ok, thanks for that guys. It seems i just did not read everything :)

Now its perfectly working, VMware Tools installed just fine and everything is running.

However, graphic performance is quite sluggish and i guess this has to do with the fact that since 10.11 OSX now uses Metal for rendering its UI, but VMware does only support OpenGL.

Do you know a way to tell OSX to use OpenGL again, so that the Workstation can give OSX access to my graphics card? This would be insane!

does any one know how to set a memmory hole for ram for HW passthrough?

What do you want to passthrough as seems different ways of doing this? Also this will only work on ESXi, no way of doing it on Workstation, Player or Fusion.

What do you want to passthrough as seems different ways of doing this? Also this will only work on ESXi, no way of doing it on Workstation, Player or Fusion.

Correct. I need to know how to set the memmopry hole. i sucessfully passed througha GPU but, the side effect is if i give it more than 2gb it ca not boot or launch in anyway. i don't know the offset to paset in to the text/cfg/vmx file to allow more than 2gb of ram.

I bleive editng the VMX file. similar to this, http://www.webbosworld.co.uk/blog/?p=471it's different in ESXi since itseems to emulat an UEFI or EFI so the smae vlaues don't work for a Mavericks VM.

I have had no problem creating Mac OS X virtual machines in VMware Player (12) with unlocker 2.0.7, but only when I do it on a Mac. I created Snow Leopard, Mavericks and Yosemite vm's in Ubuntu (15.10). But when I run them on a Dell 7010, they run OK from the saved state, but stall after a reboot, even after adding smc.version = "0" to the VMX file. They hang up about a minute after the Apple Menu appears. And if I try to make the vm on the Dell (again running Ubuntu 15.10), the installer starts up but freezes about 1/4 of the way.  Is there something else I have to do to the VMX file to get it to pass the "Mac test" and start up on the Dell PC? Does it matter that I am using Linux on the Dell instead of Windows?

I have had no problem creating Mac OS X virtual machines in VMware Player (12) with unlocker 2.0.7, but only when I do it on a Mac. I created Snow Leopard, Mavericks and Yosemite vm's in Ubuntu (15.10). But when I run them on a Dell 7010, they run OK from the saved state, but stall after a reboot, even after adding smc.version = "0" to the VMX file. They hang up about a minute after the Apple Menu appears. And if I try to make the vm on the Dell (again running Ubuntu 15.10), the installer starts up but freezes about 1/4 of the way.  Is there something else I have to do to the VMX file to get it to pass the "Mac test" and start up on the Dell PC? Does it matter that I am using Linux on the Dell instead of Windows?

There is a bug in 2.0.7 with Player on Linux, so the patches do not apply correctly. 2.0.8 is on its way this weekend with a fix.

Hello,

I've tried upgrading from Mountain Lion to El Capitan, but everytime I reboot after starting up the install, I get stuck in the install process at exactly the same place (verified using pixel perfect precision). I've left it running for over 5h and it is still at the same position on the progress bar. Note that the beachball you see in the screenshot is part of the guest Mac OS X VM.

I've tried Command + L to show the install log, but that does not work. Furthermore, if I monitor the vmware-vmx.exe process with something like Process Hacker 2, there is almost no activity. Note that the beachball is not frozen and keeps spinning, thus whatever is running doesn't appear to have frozen the UI thread.

Workstation 12.0.1

Unlocker 2.0.7

Host VM Windows 7

Guest VM Mac OS X Mountain Lion

Thanks for the help!

gnkoJds.png

OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion.vmx.txt

vmware.log.txt

Hello,

I've tried upgrading from Mountain Lion to El Capitan, but everytime I reboot after starting up the install, I get stuck in the install process at exactly the same place (verified using pixel perfect precision). I've left it running for over 5h and it is still at the same position on the progress bar. Note that the beachball you see in the screenshot is part of the guest Mac OS X VM.

I've tried Command + L to show the install log, but that does not work. Furthermore, if I monitor the vmware-vmx.exe process with something like Process Hacker 2, there is almost no activity. Note that the beachball is not frozen and keeps spinning, thus whatever is running doesn't appear to have frozen the UI thread.

Workstation 12.0.1

Unlocker 2.0.7

Host VM Windows 7

Guest VM Mac OS X Mountain Lion

Thanks for the help!

gnkoJds.png

Attach the vmx and vmware.log files to a post. Please do not copy the contents into the post, as they are pretty long.

@Donk. Thanks, I've updated the initial post with the files you asked for.

Edit: In the meantime I've tried rebooting into recovery mode. Did a disk recovery / repair. When it was time to select the startup disk, I would get the following error

"Building boot caches on boot helper partition failer"

as one can see on http://dae.me/blog/126/building-boot-caches-error-when-changing-startup-disk/

My guess is that is either a side effect (you can't build boot caches if an install is in progress) or there's something wrong with my boot.

@Donk. Thanks, I've updated the initial post with the files you asked for.

Edit: In the meantime I've tried rebooting into recovery mode. Did a disk recovery / repair. When it was time to select the startup disk, I would get the following error

"Building boot caches on boot helper partition failer"

as one can see on http://dae.me/blog/126/building-boot-caches-error-when-changing-startup-disk/

My guess is that is either a side effect (you can't build boot caches if an install is in progress) or there's something wrong with my boot.

I think you need to upgrade the virtual hardware setting as this VM is set to V8 and best going to V12. So the first steps are:

1. Open but do not run the guest in Workstation and use menu VM->Manage->Change Hardware Compatibility...

2. In the wizard select "Workstation 12.0" and alter this virtual machine.

3. Close Workstation down and edit the VMX file to contain:

smc.version = "0"

4. Now check that the Mountain Lion VM boots

5. If it does close it down and edit the VM (use the GUI) to be El Capitan in the guest OS settings

6. Try booting again and if it works try the upgrade.

@Donk Hello,

First off, thanks for the follow up.

I gave your instructions a try, however I was still unsucessful after starting the El Capitan install process. I still get stuck at the exact same progress, which makes me guess there's something *important* going on at that point and in my case it is broken, however I have no idea how to diagnose that issue. Any help would be appreciated.

Upgrading the hardware compatibility appears not to have broken my install as well as updating the .vmx file to contain smc.version = "0".

Edit: Just rebooted with command + V to get in verbose mode, I get the following:

fEl76rn.png

@Donk Hello,

First off, thanks for the follow up.

I gave your instructions a try, however I was still unsucessful after starting the El Capitan install process. I still get stuck at the exact same progress, which makes me guess there's something *important* going on at that point and in my case it is broken, however I have no idea how to diagnose that issue. Any help would be appreciated.

Upgrading the hardware compatibility appears not to have broken my install as well as updating the .vmx file to contain smc.version = "0".

Not sure what else to suggest. You could enable verbose booting and see if there are any clues in the displayed messages.

In the working ML run:

sudo nvram boot-args="-v"

Then reboot and try again.

Hi.

Windows 10 64 enterprise with vmware workstation 12.0.1.

I've created an iso from el capitan on OS X el capitan.

The virtual machine start and after erasing target disk, select it as the target of installation and click on button to start install i see for a moment '17 minutes' to the end then the infamous 'Undefined error: 0' as attached image.

Why?

Thank you.

post-200284-0-89144500-1449067779_thumb.png

Hi.

Windows 10 64 enterprise with vmware workstation 12.0.1.

I've created an iso from el capitan on OS X el capitan.

The virtual machine start and after erasing target disk, select it as the target of installation and click on button to start install i see for a moment '17 minutes' to the end then the infamous 'Undefined error: 0' as attached image.

Why?

Thank you.

Have you followed the first couple of posts in this thread and installed the unlocker 2.0.x, how have you created your ISO as Workstation 12 works with the DMG created from the CECI.tool and what is your hardware, i.e. CPU etc?

Have you followed the first couple of posts in this thread and installed the unlocker 2.0.x, how have you created your ISO as Workstation 12 works with the DMG created from the CECI.tool and what is your hardware, i.e. CPU etc?

ISO was created this way:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/308533-how-to-create-a-bootable-el-capitan-iso-fo-vmware/

Yes installed unlocker 2.0.8.

CPU I7-4930K

16 GB RAM

SSD boot

SATA data driver (and used for vm)

NVidia 780

Thank you for your answer.

Using USB key works!

Now it is installing.

I will update this post with final result.

... update ....

... installed and working perfectly.

Excellent, it would be interesting to see if you use the CECI.tool to create the DMG file, second post in this thread, installs from the hard drive, rather than the ISO needing to be on a USB key?

Excellent, it would be interesting to see if you use the CECI.tool to create the DMG file, second post in this thread, installs from the hard drive, rather than the ISO needing to be on a USB key?

The usb key does not contain the iso file; I've created a bootable usb key to install el capitan on mac pro and used it to install on vm.

Was trying to create El Capitan VMs in Esxi 6.0 for SCCM lab but faced the issue of black screen with apple logo and progress bar. after some time progress would get stuck with wheel.

Tried USB/ISO method but didnt work.

Created Elcapitan vm on workstation 10.0.7 Installation went fine .

Shutdown VM before initial config.

Used vmware converter 6.0 and converted to workstation 10 based vm on ESXi server.

Booted and so far it is working fine. 

Was trying to create El Capitan VMs in Esxi 6.0 for SCCM lab but faced the issue of black screen with apple logo and progress bar. after some time progress would get stuck with wheel.

Tried USB/ISO method but didnt work.

Created Elcapitan vm on workstation 10.0.7 Installation went fine .

Shutdown VM before initial config.

Used vmware converter 6.0 and converted to workstation 10 based vm on ESXi server.

Booted and so far it is working fine. 

Interesting, the method described in this topic normally works fine, but I have never managed to use Convertor to do a V2V of OS X, maybe v6 has changed the goal posts?

Busy few days, firstly OS X 10.11.2 is now available, as well as VMware Workstation Pro 12.1.0, Workstation Player 8.1.0 and Fusion 8.1.0, so a new version of the VMware Tools for OS X (darwin.iso) 8.1.0.

All is working with Workstation Pro 12.1.0 and Workstation Player 8.1.0 using Unlocker 2.0.8, which also updates the darwin.iso to 8.1.0, which is confirmed in the install dialogue, thanks Donk a really nice touch. Please note the VMware tools can now be installed or upgraded from the menu in Workstation Pro 12.

Finally do not forget if you upgrade your VMware Workstation Pro or Player you need to re-install the Unlocker!

Hello,

I wanted to test out creating an OS X installable iso file from El Capitan that was downloaded from the App Store. I initially unlocked Workstation 12.1.0 with Unlocker 2.0.8, and used the script in the second post and followed the directions.

After creating my VM, pointing towards the ISO file, and looking at the Log during the installation, I am getting thousands of these messages and just want to make sure that this is normal? The time on the installer is still counting down as normal, but, I just want to double check that this won't break anything in the future.

My host system I am attempting to install this on is a Lenovo Yoga 13 Ideapad.

Thanks

post-1591919-0-31528000-1449817991_thumb.png