How to Install OS X 10.x (Snow Leopard to El Capitan) in VMware Workstation 10/11, Workstation Pro/Player 12, Player 6/7, ESXi 5/6

410 posts in this topic

Forgot to mention about Post number 2.  The inputApp variable also need to be set in the "Create Mavericks Installer Tool".  It should be set to "\Applications\Install OS X Mavericks\" if the App is downloaded to the default location.

Zombie_ii,

Thanks for the input, I have uploaded a new version of the script with the inputApp variable set to the default location for the Install OS X Mavericks.app downloaded from the Mac App Store, the actual line syntax is:

inputApp="/Applications/Install OS X Mavericks.app"

Not really, just as simple as before. Why the sad face?>

I thought that just because it's not easy to create the iso file anymore. However, I saw your post regarding how to create the iso file :D

I thought that just because it's not easy to create the iso file anymore. However, I saw your post regarding how to create the iso file :D

trungpt,

If you have a look at the second post in this topic for details to create a bootable Mavericks DMG, an ISO is not required for Workstation 10 if you use the "Create Mavericks Installer.tool".

I think you guys can solve my prob, I have created a thread for it already but no one replying there. So i dont have any mac system to use. I have just a windows 8, mavericks.dmg, darwin.iso, transmac and unlocked vmware player. Now any guide to install mac on vmware?

I think you guys can solve my prob, I have created a thread for it already but no one replying there. So i dont have any mac system to use. I have just a windows 8, mavericks.dmg, darwin.iso, transmac and unlocked vmware player. Now any guide to install mac on vmware?

Aman,

OK, the "How to.." guide in this topic works fine for Player 6, provided you have met and confirmed all the prerequisites?, my only concern is since you do not have OS X currently running, is the source of your Mavericks DMG! To be sure you could purchase OS X 10.6.3 (Snow Leopard) from the Apple Store, create an ISO, update to 10.6.8 and then download OS X Mavericks for free, not an easy path but the closed we can call legal! We will be here to guide you, if you choose the right and almost legal path!

Thanks for all the great info here.

I've successfully installed Mavericks on VMWare esxi 5.1.

Most everything seems to be working fine, except the Mac App Store.

I was able to download updates when I initially started the machine.  But I am unable to sign into the app store.  If I select create new account I get a error - "frostycup=1"

Any ideas?  Thanks.

Thanks for all the great info here.

I've successfully installed Mavericks on VMWare esxi 5.1.

Most everything seems to be working fine, except the Mac App Store.

I was able to download updates when I initially started the machine.  But I am unable to sign into the app store.  If I select create new account I get a error - "frostycup=1"

Any ideas?  Thanks.

It is an Apple error from the App Store which is likely to do with your account. There are questions on this on the Apple forums, but no answers.

Open Terminal run the tool passing the path to the Mavericks installer app and the path to the DMG you want to create.

./Create\ Mavericks\ Installer.tool /Application/Install\ OS\ Mavericks.app ~/osx109.dmg

HI MSoK,

I have tried the Create Mavericks Installer.tool and all I get is a Terminal icon on the Dock and no output window showing what is happening. Would you be able to advise what I am doing wrong?

Thanks

NSCXP2005

NSCXP2005,

I have updated the second post in this topic with a new version of the "Create Mavericks Installer.tool" which should work without editing, other than to remove the TXT extension. The inputApp parameter is set to "/Applications/Install OS X Mavericks.app" and the outputDmg parameter is set to "/Users/Shared/InstallESD.dmg".

Donk,

I don't believe it is an issue with my apple id.  I can use my apple id everywhere else - 2 other macs, iphone, ipad, itunes in windows.  (By the way, I also checked that I'm not at my account limit).  What is interesting is that if I put in an incorrect password it tells me my password is incorrect.  However, when putting in the correct password the login just spins.  The error I mentioned "frostycup=1" is when I try to click create account.  I tested the login in itunes as well - same results.

At first I thought maybe there was a firewall issue or someother network issue blocking access to the store.  But I have other devices working fine on this network and have checked my gateway device to verify there are no issues there.  You are right there are two other posts on apple with regards to this - with no responses.  This may not be an issue with the virtualized mac - but it is the only place I experience it.  I've only virtualized a mac one other time - so I don't have a lot of experience, but I'm still just left wondering if there is something else with the vm causing this.  I haven't tried icloud yet... but I've seen some posts here or other places that indicate icloud may not work on a virtualized mac for some reason.  I also noticed a post somewhere about maps not working correctly - and it is not working correctly either.

After looking back through all your instructions, the only thing I didn't do yet is edit the cpuid.  But I was under the impression that would cause issues witht the vm booting, correct?  Other than that, I followed the instructions for installing Mavericks and then installed the svga II package.  Any other ideas?

Thanks.

Just noticed an error message in console....

Hardware SerialNumber "......" looks incorrect or invalid.

Could this be the cause?

So Donk/MSoK.... did I miss/misunderstand something here...

I just rebuilt by 5.5 box.  Did a total reinstall (not upgrade).  Only thing that I kept was an array with a a VMFS datastore on it.

After it was rebuilt I was able to boot my 10.6 and 10.8 boxes without installing the unlocker.

10.9 wouldn't boot - just stayed on the grey beachball screen.  After installing the unlocker though, it booted.

Is this known behavior that an unlocker isn't needed for 10.6/10.8 on 5.5??

So Donk/MSoK.... did I miss/misunderstand something here...

I just rebuilt by 5.5 box.  Did a total reinstall (not upgrade).  Only thing that I kept was an array with a a VMFS datastore on it.

After it was rebuilt I was able to boot my 10.6 and 10.8 boxes without installing the unlocker.

10.9 wouldn't boot - just stayed on the grey beachball screen.  After installing the unlocker though, it booted.

Is this known behavior that an unlocker isn't needed for 10.6/10.8 on 5.5??

I just checked and I definitely do not have this behaviour. When the unlocker has not bee run no guests boot as it is waiting for DSMOS (checked with -v flag during boot). Have you installed something like FakeSMC.kext?

I just checked and I definitely do not have this behaviour. When the unlocker has not bee run no guests boot as it is waiting for DSMOS (checked with -v flag during boot). Have you installed something like FakeSMC.kext?

This is possible...I believe I built my 10.6 box about 2-3 years ago from instructions gathered somewhere on this forum.  I also believe that my 10.8 box was an upgrade from 10.6 and not a clean build.

However, I really don't remember the procedure as it was so long ago.  Could you tell me what/where I might check to see if this is the case?

Also, if indeed I *did* build it that way - and it works without the unlocker, does that make sense?  I mean if there is another way to get this going without the unlocker that could be of benefit especially to those of us who are trying to run with vsphere.

thanks.

This is possible...I believe I built my 10.6 box about 2-3 years ago from instructions gathered somewhere on this forum.  I also believe that my 10.8 box was an upgrade from 10.6 and not a clean build.

However, I really don't remember the procedure as it was so long ago.  Could you tell me what/where I might check to see if this is the case?

Also, if indeed I *did* build it that way - and it works without the unlocker, does that make sense?  I mean if there is another way to get this going without the unlocker that could be of benefit especially to those of us who are trying to run with vsphere.

thanks.

Well I used to supply other ways of doing this in the past, which are extensions of Hackintosh way of setting system up. However convoluted and not as simple as this method. If you want to ask about other methods best start a new thread as don't want to mix it in with the unlocker questions.

Also for vCenter, if the issue is the services stopping, then there is a workaround in the ESXi unlocker thread. Additionally MSoK and myself are working on an alternative way of running the unlocker which does not use the bootbank and VTAR RAM disks.

Well, I've followed all the recommendations, and am able to get Mavericks working fine in VMware Workstation 9 on my Q6600 CPU, but I have another machine with Core i7 2600K, and cannot get any OS X flavour to work within VMware workstation.

I've tried the cpuid mask trick in the vmx file, but all my OX S VMs just sit forever on the  Apple logo screen with the rotating wait logo. This includes known working good installs copied from the Q6600 machine and the Mavericks installation ISO (which works fine from scratch on the Q6600).

Anyone got clues where to look?

Well, I've followed all the recommendations, and am able to get Mavericks working fine in VMware Workstation 9 on my Q6600 CPU, but I have another machine with Core i7 2600K, and cannot get any OS X flavour to work within VMware workstation.

I've tried the cpuid mask trick in the vmx file, but all my OX S VMs just sit forever on the  Apple logo screen with the rotating wait logo. This includes known working good installs copied from the Q6600 machine and the Mavericks installation ISO (which works fine from scratch on the Q6600).

Anyone got clues where to look?

Did you apply the unlocker?

Yup,

The unlocker was installed.

I used the latest unlocker unlock-all-v120, Apple MAC OS X appears as an option and I can choose any thing up to OS X 10.8.

The OS X VM on Q6600 works fine, but not on the i7. I used the darwin.iso to upgrade vmware tools on the Q6600 and all is OK.

If I copy my Mavericks VM completely from the Q6600 to the i7, I get the message that the VM was moved when imported, so I tell VMware that I copied it.

On booting I get the Apple logo and then the endless rotating wait loop.

There is nothing obvious in the VMware log files that there is a problem, and all other VMs on the i7 work fine.

Yup,

The unlocker was installed.

I used the latest unlocker unlock-all-v120, Apple MAC OS X appears as an option and I can choose any thing up to OS X 10.8.

The OS X VM on Q6600 works fine, but not on the i7. I used the darwin.iso to upgrade vmware tools on the Q6600 and all is OK.

If I copy my Mavericks VM completely from the Q6600 to the i7, I get the message that the VM was moved when imported, so I tell VMware that I copied it.

On booting I get the Apple logo and then the endless rotating wait loop.

There is nothing obvious in the VMware log files that there is a problem, and all other VMs on the i7 work fine.

woodrjh,

Are you running Workstation 9 or 10 on the new Core i7 machine, if 10 try updating Hardware compatibility to "Workstation 10.0 virtual machine" on your copied OS X VM, also have you checked VT-x is enabled in BIOS?

I'm running VMware workstation 9, and I'm sure VT-x is enabled, as I can run a Windows 7 x64 guest machine within a nested VMware ESX vSphere 5 environment within the Workstation 9 software.

I don't think that this is possible without VT-x enabled.

My core i7 machine is not new, i've been using it for over 18 months now and any VMs i've tried in Workstation 9 (and earlier releases of VMware) all work fine.

I just tested a fresh install of Mavericks again on the Q6600 and the bootable ISO Mavericks installation CD I built works fine on that system.

I just found the problem

The machine had VMware WSX installed, and I have removed this and re-installed VMware Workstation 9, applied the unlocker, and all it working now!

woodrjh,

Glad you found the issue, we were beginning to scratch our heads a little, I have had the latest beta version of WSX Server (1158072) running alongside OS X in Workstation 10, but definitely worth remembering when having issues.

Hi MSoK,

I was able to install Mac OS X 10.9 (Mavericks) on a fresh new virtual machine on Windows XP with VMWare Player 6.0 patched with the Unlocker 1.2.0.

I used a Mavericks ISO. Very Easy and Vanilla ...

Everything is fine after i have installed VmWare Tools Darwin ISO

Thanks

PippoX0

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Before I try and upgrade my curent image (10.8.5) to mavericks I tried to upgrade the image to hw10 (its hw 8).. I am running workstation 10, when I upgrade the image from hw8 to hw10 I'm stuck on the login screen as the mouse and keyboard do not function.. Any ideas?

Additional info I'm using windows 7

Hi,

if you want enable FindMyMac and other iCloud Stuff related with RecoveryHD , see my Topic "[How To] Enable "Find My Mac" with a FAKE Recovery HD *UPDATED*"

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/271206-how-to-enable-find-my-mac-with-a-fake-recovery-hd-updated/page-3?hl=%2Bfake+%2Brecovery+%2Bhd&do=findComment&comment=1937909

It works very well also in VMWare VM and you don't need to set NVRAM service with a script because VMware enable it by default.

Cheers

See Ya