How to Install OS X 10.x (Snow Leopard to El Capitan) in VMware Workstation 10/11, Workstation Pro/Player 12, Player 6/7, ESXi 5/6

410 posts in this topic

Hello All,

I know I'm new here but I just purchased a Surface Pro 3 and I would like to have either Yosemite or Maverick as a Guest using VMWare Player 7 .

Here's where I"m at :

1 - I downloaded the latest Yosemite version from the app store using my mac and followed the directions using terminal to make the .dmg file boot ready .   The file size went up a couple hundred megs, now 6.51 I believe.

2 - I then transferred this to my Surface Pro 3, and ran the Unlocker 2.0 software as instructed .   The good news is that I can see 10.10 in the Create New Image Menu, so I know this worked .

Here's where it goes wrong, and I have some questions -

First off, where it says select an .ISO, do I select Darwin from the Unlocker Folder, or use the new .dmg file I created for Yosemite ? I'm also confused as to where I should store these files, should I put the whole Unlocker Folder in the Guest 10.10 folder, or some of the files, or none at all?   The same goes for the new .dmg file, where do I put it?

At the moment when I try to start the guest machine, I get a vcpu error, it doesn't even boot up into OS X .

Any guidance as to what to do next would be appreciated, thank you !

This is the error I am receiving as well... I see the fix below, so I used word pad to first edit version 11 to 10, however checking back on the GUI it still shows 11 ?

I then copied the smc version = "0" and this also did not work.

I moved the ef64-srvr.rom to the guest folder, and I set the Guest account up using the .dmg file I created for Yosemite .

If this is not correct, please let me know what I'm doing wrong .

I  had to downgrade the hardware compatability to 10.0 to get the installer to start.  Was giving me this error:

[msg.log.error.unrecoverable] VMware Workstation unrecoverable error: (vcpu-0)
2015-01-27T00:28:51.159-08:00| vcpu-0| I120+ vcpu-0:VERIFY vmcore/vmm/main/physMem_monitor.c:1123

Is that normal?

Hmm I gues it is normal.  Missed this info:Quote

If you create a new VM using version 11 hardware VMware will stop and     |
| create a core dump.There are two options to work around this issue:         |
|                                                                             |
| 1. Change the VM to be HW 10 - this does not affect performance.         |
| 2. Edit the VMX file and add:                                             |
| smc.version = "0"

Cheers!

Hi guys newbie here,

I'm having a problem with installing OS X Snow Leopard on VMware workstation 11.

I keep getting this error message "the guest operating system is not mac os x server"

Any idea why?

Please let me know if you need more details.

Hi

After a frustrating saturday morning trying to get the CMI.tool to work for me, no joy still.

Could anyone post me the exact syntax of what to type into terminal to run the CMI.tool - with pathnames shown for me to substitute my user name etc?

I think it is the definition of location for the resulting .dmg that is failing so a working syntax to copy and amend would really be appreciated!

Many thanks

S

Got it now - thanks! Now back to Post 1!

Edited by sepiriz

• 2 weeks later...

FYI for folks who updated to VMware 11.1. After the update my Mavricks VM wasn't starting up and I fixed the issue by re-running Unlocker 2.0.4.

emon,

The update is actually an uninstall of the previous version and then a new install, so you always need to re-apply the unlocker, this has been the case for all previous workstation version "updates".

• 2 weeks later...

Hello, appreciate all the hard work you guys do in making this process so easy.  I've created about 4 or 5 of these OS X virtual machines and installing Yosemite looked like it would the easiest one yet.  But I've hit an error after following Post 1 that I haven't seen before.

I'm running Workstation 11.1, and trying to installing OSX 10.10.2.  I have OSX 10.10 as an option, so Unlocker looks good.  Used smc.version=0 to get by the VCPU error, and started watching the Apple logo and progress bar. Unfortunately, when the bar reaches the left edge of the apple (about 25%), I get a "No" symbol with no words. Which I'm not sure how to even describe for a Google search to find a solution.  Any one else seen this in the VM world?  How can I proceed at this point? Do you suspect it's my DMG?

Hello, appreciate all the hard work you guys do in making this process so easy.  I've created about 4 or 5 of these OS X virtual machines and installing Yosemite looked like it would the easiest one yet.  But I've hit an error after following Post 1 that I haven't seen before.

I'm running Workstation 11.1, and trying to installing OSX 10.10.2.  I have OSX 10.10 as an option, so Unlocker looks good.  Used smc.version=0 to get by the VCPU error, and started watching the Apple logo and progress bar. Unfortunately, when the bar reaches the left edge of the apple (about 25%), I get a "No" symbol with no words. Which I'm not sure how to even describe for a Google search to find a solution.  Any one else seen this in the VM world?  How can I proceed at this point? Do you suspect it's my DMG?

shutupsitdown,

As you say, follow the instructions in this thread and Yosemite should install just fine, we probably need a few more details about your configuration, processor, base OS, dmg source, etc, then hopefully we can help, but unless your system does not meet the pre-requisites then your DMG may be suspect! 

Hey guys,

I'm running vmware workstation 11 and Yosemite 10.10

It is super super slow! When I first get the image running, the speed is good. But when I install vmware tools, everything works (shared folder, resolution) but it's just super uber slow. Not kidding.

Is anyone experiencing the same?

I have two other images (10.8 and 10.9) and it's super fast.

I'm running the images from an ssd disk and each one has 8GB ram and 4 cores.

shutupsitdown,

As you say, follow the instructions in this thread and Yosemite should install just fine, we probably need a few more details about your configuration, processor, base OS, dmg source, etc, then hopefully we can help, but unless your system does not meet the pre-requisites then your DMG may be suspect! 

Of course, that would make sense.  I'm running Windows 7 on an I5-750.  I found a preinstalled VMX and that works, but I'd rather install my own.  So I don't suspect my machine at all.  But I'm not not sure what the "no" symbol even means.  The lack of any kind of log makes me stop in my tracks as I'm just not that familiar with OS X.

I'm running vmware workstation 11 and Yosemite 10.10

It is super super slow! When I first get the image running, the speed is good. But when I install vmware tools, everything works (shared folder, resolution) but it's just super uber slow. Not kidding.

Is anyone experiencing the same?

The first post addresses this.  You need to install BeamOff.

• 2 weeks later...

Can somebody please tell me I could not download the CYI.tool.txt file in the second post? I tried to download from PC, from Mac, none worked. Always give me error that attachment not found.

Not sure what had gone wrong, I have updated the second post, you should now be able to download both the CMI.tool.txt and CYI.tool.txt.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi all...

I've been using a Mavericks VM in Workstation 10, wanted to upgrade to Yosemite. Scanned this thread (which helped me get Mavericks installed last year), didn't see anything specific about upgrading... so I tried just upgrading the "normal" way; downloading Yosemite from the app store in the guest VM.

The installer downloaded, rebooted the VM, came up with the usual installer welcome screen, agree to terms, etc... but when it got to the screen to select a disc to install the upgrade on, there was no disk shown. I ran Disk Utility in the guest, ran a verify, got a "Error: A disk with a mount point is required" message.

Any thoughts? Thanks!

I recommend not upgrading and existing VM. Instead, follow the instructions to create your own boot image and create a new VM.

Yeah, that's an option that I wanted to avoid so I wouldn't have to reconfigure the new VM...

... in any event, I figured out the issue... I had switched from Player to Workstation before trying to upgrade the VM, forgot to re-run the Unlocker... once I did that, I was able to upgrade OK!

Thanks!

• 4 weeks later...

I'm trying to install OSX 10.8.3 in VMware Workstation 11.1.0. I've changed the hardware version to 10 to get rid of the initial boot error you get. When I start it now I see the Apple logo but then I get a:

A fault has occurred causing a virtual CPU to enter the shutdown state. If this fault had occurred outside of a virtual machine, it would have caused the physical machine to restart. The shutdown state can be reached by incorrectly configuring the virtual machine, a bug in the guest operating system, or a problem in VMware Workstation.

Click OK to restart the virtual machine or Cancel to power off the virtual machine.

Any ideas? I've given it 1 CPU with 2 cores, 2GB of memory and "Guest operating system" is set to "Apple Mac OS X" and version "OS X 10.8". I'm on Windows 7 64-bit and Core 2 Quad 9550.

*edit*

Here's the end of the log:

2015-05-15T18:21:43.893+02:00| vcpu-0| I120: Tools: Tools heartbeat timeout.
2015-05-15T18:21:53.130+02:00| vcpu-1| I120: CPU reset: soft (mode 2)
2015-05-15T18:21:53.298+02:00| vcpu-0| I120: Guest: About to do EFI boot: EFI VMware Virtual SATA CDROM Drive (1.0)
2015-05-15T18:21:58.434+02:00| vcpu-0| I120: UHCI: HCReset
2015-05-15T18:21:58.458+02:00| vcpu-0| I120: Guest: Firmware has transitioned to runtime.

2015-05-15T18:21:58.466+02:00| vcpu-0| I120: Triple fault.
2015-05-15T18:21:58.466+02:00| vcpu-0| I120: MsgHint: msg.monitorEvent.tripleFault
2015-05-15T18:21:58.466+02:00| vcpu-0| I120+ A fault has occurred causing a virtual CPU to enter the shutdown state. If this fault had occurred outside of a virtual machine, it would have caused the physical machine to restart. The shutdown state can be reached by incorrectly configuring the virtual machine, a bug in the guest operating system, or a problem in VMware Workstation.---------------------------------------
2015-05-15T18:22:04.270+02:00| vmx| I120: Stopping VCPU threads...

I'm trying to install OSX 10.8.3 in VMware Workstation 11.1.0. I've changed the hardware version to 10 to get rid of the initial boot error you get. When I start it now I see the Apple logo but then I get a:

A fault has occurred causing a virtual CPU to enter the shutdown state. If this fault had occurred outside of a virtual machine, it would have caused the physical machine to restart. The shutdown state can be reached by incorrectly configuring the virtual machine, a bug in the guest operating system, or a problem in VMware Workstation.

Click OK to restart the virtual machine or Cancel to power off the virtual machine.

Any ideas? I've given it 1 CPU with 2 cores, 2GB of memory and "Guest operating system" is set to "Apple Mac OS X" and version "OS X 10.8". I'm on Windows 7 64-bit and Core 2 Quad 9550.

Have you run Mac OS X guest unlocker?

I successfully installed 10.6.3, updated to 10.6.8 to upgrade to 10.8. The update started fine, told me to reboot after a while but when rebooting I get the same error about the CPU. I also tried to revert to my 10.6 snapshot and install 10.9. The update ran fine until reboot, then I get the same cpu error. Is it my CPU that's too old? A Core 2 Quad Q9550.

*edit*

I also tried niresh version of Mavericks in latest virtualbox but that also gives me a "Guru Meditation 1155 (VINF_EM_TRIPLE_FAULT)".

*edit2*

Now it works. I had disabled NX/XD in the BIOS for some reason. When I enabled it again it started working. Woho!

MSoK, I have a small update to add to your excellent guide. For some reason when creating an OS X 10.10 (Yosemite) Virtual Machine on VMware Player 7 it set the USB compatibility to 3.0 which meant I couldn't start installing because the Keyboard and Mouse wouldn't work.

To fix the problem of Keyboard and Mouse freezing and being totally unresponsive, make sure the USB setting on the VM is set to USB 2.0. This can be set before starting the VM, click "Edit virtual machine settings", In the settings window under the "Hardware" tab click "USB Controller", to the right you will see "Connections" and below that "USB compatibility", click the drop down box and select "USB 2.0", then click "OK" to close the settings window.

(If it appears to refuse to change from 3.0 to 2.0, as it did on my machine, reopen settings and double check it has accepted the change.)

Hi,

i've installed yosemite 10.10.3 on vmware player 7 following the guide.

The problem is that i get some random freezes (i can easly replicate that if i keep pushing the launchpad button).

After many tests i discovered that if i set 1 core only, the problem is gone (i used an autoclicker on the launchpad button and pushed the button for 1 hours with no freezes/hangs).

Is there a solution for this? (i googled alot but i could not find one)

PS: on the vmware config i added "smc.version = 0", everything else is like described in the guide.

• 1 month later...