How to Install OS X 10.x (Snow Leopard, Lion, Mountain Lion and Mavericks) in VMware Workstation 9/10 or Player 5/6

OS X VMware Workstation 9 Player 5 OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion OS X 10.9 Mavericks Unlocker

• Please log in to reply
147 replies to this topic

Aidzer0

Aidzer0

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Okay so i finally got OS X 10.9 installed.

Thanks A lot For the help guys,

All i did was update my Vmware Workstation.

pmac100

pmac100

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Hi...

I have a Snow Leopard Server 10.6.8 VM that I'm trying to upgrade to Mavericks. I downloaded the Mavericks installer via the App Store in the VM, ran the installer, which rebooted the VM, gets as far as the Apple logo, and there it sits with brief HD activity every couple of seconds.

Some info:

- Using Workstation 7, which I know isn't officially listed as a supported version, but I'm stuck on this version for compatibility with software on another VM

- ran the unlocker

- host machine is Dell M 4700, Win 7, intel i7. I added the cpuid line to the vmx file per some earlier posts

Any thoughts would be appreciated...

thx...

MSoK

MSoK

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 922 posts

Hi...

I have a Snow Leopard Server 10.6.8 VM that I'm trying to upgrade to Mavericks. I downloaded the Mavericks installer via the App Store in the VM, ran the installer, which rebooted the VM, gets as far as the Apple logo, and there it sits with brief HD activity every couple of seconds.

Some info:

- Using Workstation 7, which I know isn't officially listed as a supported version, but I'm stuck on this version for compatibility with software on another VM

- ran the unlocker

- host machine is Dell M 4700, Win 7, intel i7. I added the cpuid line to the vmx file per some earlier posts

Any thoughts would be appreciated...

thx...

pmac100,

The CPUID should only be required for your Snow Leopard Install, once upgraded to 10.6.8 your CPU should be supported. I think you are going to struggle with Workstation 7, see posts by Aidzer0. You should be able to run either Workstation 10 or Player 6 and provided you leave your hardware compatibility at Version 7 for your other VM all should work as expected, and you will be able to either upgrade your 10.6.8 to 10.9 or having extracted the DMG, see the second post in this thread, do a clean install of Mavericks.

pmac100

pmac100

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

pmac100,

The CPUID should only be required for your Snow Leopard Install, once upgraded to 10.6.8 your CPU should be supported. I think you are going to struggle with Workstation 7, see posts by Aidzer0. You should be able to run either Workstation 10 or Player 6 and provided you leave your hardware compatibility at Version 7 for your other VM all should work as expected, and you will be able to either upgrade your 10.6.8 to 10.9 or having extracted the DMG, see the second post in this thread, do a clean install of Mavericks.

I appreciate the reply MSoK...

I uninstalled Workstation 7 and installed Player 6. Re-ran the unlocker (not sure it was necessary just to upgrade 10.6.8 to Mavericks). Started 10.6.8 VM, double-clicked the Mavericks installer, it rebooted the VM... back to 10.6.8, no attempt to upgrade. Tried a couple more times, same result.

So... I thought I'd go the route of creating a new VM using the 10.9 installer downloaded in 10.6.8, using the Create Mavericks Installer script mentioned in the second post of this thread. Downloaded the script, removed the .txt extension, left the source and destination locations as is. Confirmed the Mavericks installer was in the Applications folder, and that the destination location used by the script did exist. Right-clicked the script, opened with Terminal, Terminal opened and just sat there at the prompt. Nothing created in the destination...

So, I appear to be 0 for 2...

MSoK

MSoK

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 922 posts

I appreciate the reply MSoK...

I uninstalled Workstation 7 and installed Player 6. Re-ran the unlocker (not sure it was necessary just to upgrade 10.6.8 to Mavericks). Started 10.6.8 VM, double-clicked the Mavericks installer, it rebooted the VM... back to 10.6.8, no attempt to upgrade. Tried a couple more times, same result.

So... I thought I'd go the route of creating a new VM using the 10.9 installer downloaded in 10.6.8, using the Create Mavericks Installer script mentioned in the second post of this thread. Downloaded the script, removed the .txt extension, left the source and destination locations as is. Confirmed the Mavericks installer was in the Applications folder, and that the destination location used by the script did exist. Right-clicked the script, opened with Terminal, Terminal opened and just sat there at the prompt. Nothing created in the destination...

So, I appear to be 0 for 2...

pmac100,

I have updated the second post in this thread, with the original version of the "Create Mavericks Installer.tool" and relevant instructions to use it, hopefully you will be able to create the required OS X Mavericks DMG file for a clean install. I have also added the processor and memory changes required to your Snow Leopard virtual machine to allow upgrade to Mavericks.

Hope this helps.

pmac100

pmac100

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

pmac100,

I have updated the second post in this thread, with the original version of the "Create Mavericks Installer.tool" and relevant instructions to use it, hopefully you will be able to create the required OS X Mavericks DMG file for a clean install. I have also added the processor and memory changes required to your Snow Leopard virtual machine to allow upgrade to Mavericks.

Hope this helps.

MSoK-

Just wanted to say thanks for your help, I'm up and running with a 10.9 VM via VMPlayer 6.

For some reason, I still was not able to upgrade my 10.6.8 VM; even with the suggested changes, the installer kept rebooting the VM back to 10.6.8.

So I went the route of a clean install, using the script to create a bootable .dmg of the 10.9 installer downloaded in the 10.6.8 VM. The trickiest part for me on this route was getting the .dmg back into the Win7 host machine so VMPlayer could use it for the install. Couldn't copy it via Shared Folders, couldn't put it on a USB stick (not visible to the 10.6.8 VM). I eventually mounted the 10.6.8 public folder via SMB in Win 7 and copied the file from there into where I needed it....

MSoK

MSoK

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 922 posts

MSoK-

Just wanted to say thanks for your help, I'm up and running with a 10.9 VM via VMPlayer 6.

For some reason, I still was not able to upgrade my 10.6.8 VM; even with the suggested changes, the installer kept rebooting the VM back to 10.6.8.

So I went the route of a clean install, using the script to create a bootable .dmg of the 10.9 installer downloaded in the 10.6.8 VM. The trickiest part for me on this route was getting the .dmg back into the Win7 host machine so VMPlayer could use it for the install. Couldn't copy it via Shared Folders, couldn't put it on a USB stick (not visible to the 10.6.8 VM). I eventually mounted the 10.6.8 public folder via SMB in Win 7 and copied the file from there into where I needed it....

pmac100,

Glad you are all sorted, do not quite understand the issue with shared folders, just checked in Snow Leopard and was able to transfer the Mavericks DMG (6GB) both ways, you did remember to set the share to Enabled not Read-only?

jujeki

jujeki

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Thank you for such a straight forward guide. I managed to install OS X 10.9.2 from a dmg onto a Guest OS in Player 6, as per the instructions in the 2nd post. I also went through the VMTools and drivers, etc. and now all the sluggishness is gone except for a couple apps in the VM that I don't really care about. 

One thing that I still need help with that was not addressed in your guide is the screen resolution when in full screen. Everything is so tiny! Granted, my laptop has a small screen to start...

The VM is picking up my host's native resolution (2560 x 1440) and that's the only option I have. I can change the resolution inside the VM by changing the resolution in my Windows host, but then I'm stuck using crayons on my Windows machine if I want a usable resolution in my OS X VM. There must be a more elegant solution?

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: OS X, VMware, Workstation 9, Player 5, OS X 10.8, Mountain Lion, OS X 10.9, Mavericks, Unlocker

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   Web hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy