How to Install OS X 10.x (Snow Leopard, Lion, Mountain Lion and Mavericks) in VMware Workstation 9/10 or Player 5/6

OS X VMware Workstation 9 Player 5 OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion OS X 10.9 Mavericks Unlocker

• Please log in to reply
159 replies to this topic

bengalih

bengalih

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 21 posts

Setting the virtual hardware may have changes on the code paths in the hypervisor. Just because there are not many differences in the VMX do not let that fool you into thinking there are no other consequences.

A guest OS and its version are supported by virtual hardware and firmware, the emulation inside the hypervisor for the virtual chassis (e.g. virtual SATA, SCSI...), plus the actual VMX code. For example using 10.6 on ESXi 5.5 invokes hidden CPUID masks for compatibility.

Note that I am not saying you need to change the level of hardware supported, just be aware that it may not be the most efficient way to run the guest.

Understood.  I'm curious if you (or anyone else) is actually running ESX (or Workstation) on an actual Mac box?  It would be interesting to know if you are required to choose HCV10 in order to choose 10.9 as the OS.

That is the way it seems to be in Workstation 10 when I use your unlocker - just wondering if that is the way it would be even with Mac hardware?

I would assume most people trying to use OSX as a production desktop will be running it on Workstation - so upgrading to HCV10 is not really an issue.  For me, I like using the vSphere Client for ESX, so I don't want to move my HCV to 10.  Being how 10.9 (and earlier) all seem to work fine for me - I'm ok.  Of course, as I mentioned, I don't use OSX for a desktop - I use it for some software testing, and it seems to work well enough (I don't test things like usb, sound, ideal graphics, etc).

Slightly OT - but is it possible that your update to the unlocker script that compresses the image could possible have fixed issues with vSphere connected ESX boxes?  Since I reinstalled with the compressed image, things *seem* more stable to me.  

Donk

Donk

InsanelyMac Deity

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,923 posts

Understood.  I'm curious if you (or anyone else) is actually running ESX (or Workstation) on an actual Mac box?  It would be interesting to know if you are required to choose HCV10 in order to choose 10.9 as the OS.

That is the way it seems to be in Workstation 10 when I use your unlocker - just wondering if that is the way it would be even with Mac hardware?

I would assume most people trying to use OSX as a production desktop will be running it on Workstation - so upgrading to HCV10 is not really an issue.  For me, I like using the vSphere Client for ESX, so I don't want to move my HCV to 10.  Being how 10.9 (and earlier) all seem to work fine for me - I'm ok.  Of course, as I mentioned, I don't use OSX for a desktop - I use it for some software testing, and it seems to work well enough (I don't test things like usb, sound, ideal graphics, etc).

Slightly OT - but is it possible that your update to the unlocker script that compresses the image could possible have fixed issues with vSphere connected ESX boxes?  Since I reinstalled with the compressed image, things *seem* more stable to me.  

I haven't run Workstation in Bootcamp for awhile. Might be an interesting test, as actually that is what I wanted originally when I started trying to get OS X running in Workstation 6 years ago now!

My use of OS X is as a development & testing platform as well, including in Fusion on real Mac hardware. What may be interesting is for me to downgrade one of my test VM in Workstation 10 to HW8. So long as SCSI should work, and can see how stable it is.

I think the compression has helped. I have a new way of running the unlocker on ESXi, and MSoK has validated it in his test lab. Not ready just yet but gets rid of the vtar RAM disk, so hoping will make it more stable in 5.5. This will be an alternative installer until enough testing has happened.

bengalih

bengalih

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 21 posts

I haven't run Workstation in Bootcamp for awhile. Might be an interesting test, as actually that is what I wanted originally when I started trying to get OS X running in Workstation 6 years ago now!

My use of OS X is as a development & testing platform as well, including in Fusion on real Mac hardware. What may be interesting is for me to downgrade one of my test VM in Workstation 10 to HW8. So long as SCSI should work, and can see how stable it is.

I think the compression has helped. I have a new way of running the unlocker on ESXi, and MSoK has validated it in his test lab. Not ready just yet but gets rid of the vtar RAM disk, so hoping will make it more stable in 5.5. This will be an alternative installer until enough testing has happened.

How are you able to downgrade HCV?  I thought the only way to do this was to recover a snapshot or restore an older HCV from backup.  Do you have a trick? :)

Also, if you need any other testers on a pure ESXi 5.5 box, do let me know.

Thanks again for all your work.

MSoK

MSoK

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 934 posts

Just to confirm, installing OS X Mavericks (10.9) in Workstation 10 using Custom (advanced) and changing "Hardware compatibility:" from "Workstation 10.0" to "Workstation 8.0" and "Select a Guest Operating System" to "Apple Mac OS X", Version: "Mac OS X 10.9" get a warning "Mac OS X 10.9 is not a supported guest operating system for Workstation 8.0 virtual machines.... Are you sure you want to continue?" click Yes to continue with the installation.

The installation completes and once the latest VMware Tools (6.0.1) are installed works as normal, interestingly the vmx file shows the virtualHW.version = "8" as expected but the guestOS = "darwin13-64".

Zombie_ii

Zombie_ii

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Just wanted to say Post #1 and #2 worked great for me on VMware workstation 10.  I am running both OS X 10.8 and 10.9.  Next I will try and install both under VMware fusion 6

greyy

greyy

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Hi, I just wanted to say how I got Mavericks working in VMWare Workstation 10.

I had created a VM in Fusion on my Hackintosh so I could update my apps, and thought why not just copy the VMDK file over to windows and try it there?

(actually it was a package with a buncha files in it including the VMDKl, I just opened the VMDK but copied the other files)

After using the unlocker I just opened it, it asked my if i had moved or copied this VM, clicked on "I copied it" and it started right up!

After putting the SVGA patch its working great, got it on a seperate monitor full screen just mouse over i'm in mac!

Thanks to this forum for all the valuable research and information available!

bengalih

bengalih

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 21 posts

what is the SVGA patch for mavericks?  I don't see any info about it...

greyy

greyy

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

what is the SVGA patch for mavericks?  I don't see any info about it...

Here is the link :http://sourceforge.n.../files/Display/

First install the VMsvga2_v1.2.5_OS_10.9.pkg, then the guestd_patches.pkg if you want autofit (it set the resolution to the VM ware screen window size).

It even let me update iMovie, where before it said I didn't have the graphics cabability for it.

There are various threads in the forum about it, and I think there is a reference to it early on in this thread, (Post #21) which is where I found the link.

Before I installed it I had kind of a flicker when I moved windows around, etc, now its as smooth as my "real hardware" Hackintosh Installation (btw I have an i7 Haswell with gigabyte GA-H87-D3H, using the internal graphics)

-Greyy

MSoK

MSoK

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 934 posts

Here is the link :http://sourceforge.n.../files/Display/

First install the VMsvga2_v1.2.5_OS_10.9.pkg, then the guestd_patches.pkg if you want autofit (it set the resolution to the VMware screen window size).

It even let me update iMovie, where before it said I didn't have the graphics cabability for it.

Greyy,

Thanks for the reminder, we have been using Zenith432's enhanced graphics drivers and autofit patch for some time, so I have added the information to the original post, including a link to the associated topic as well as the download location on sourceforge.

bengalih

bengalih

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 21 posts

thanks greyy.MSoK, I'll try them out.

Is this package just for Mavericks, or is it viable for 10.8 and before as well?

MSoK

MSoK

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 934 posts

thanks greyy.MSoK, I'll try them out.

Is this package just for Mavericks, or is it viable for 10.8 and before as well?

bengalih,

Two packages are available one for OS X 10.6-10.8 and the other specifically for 10.9, the auto-fit patch is for all, see the first post in this topic for more details.

trungpt

trungpt

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 34 posts

Things are more complicated for installing 10.9 on VMware Workstation :(

Donk

Donk

InsanelyMac Deity

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,923 posts

Things are more complicated for installing 10.9 on VMware Workstation :(

Not really, just as simple as before. Why the sad face?>

GnatGoSplat

GnatGoSplat

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts

I've installed the SVGA driver and the auto fit patch, but I can't seem to get auto fit to work in VMWare Player 6.1.  When I resize to full screen for example, it will look perfect for about 2-seconds, then will resize to the original windowed size within the fullscreen to where it looks like one screen on top of the other and the mouse cursor doesn't line up with the screen.

Any way to fix it?

Zombie_ii

Zombie_ii

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Forgot to mention about Post number 2.  The inputApp variable also need to be set in the "Create Mavericks Installer Tool".  It should be set to "\Applications\Install OS X Mavericks\" if the App is downloaded to the default location.

MSoK

MSoK

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 934 posts

Forgot to mention about Post number 2.  The inputApp variable also need to be set in the "Create Mavericks Installer Tool".  It should be set to "\Applications\Install OS X Mavericks\" if the App is downloaded to the default location.

Zombie_ii,

Thanks for the input, I have uploaded a new version of the script with the inputApp variable set to the default location for the Install OS X Mavericks.app downloaded from the Mac App Store, the actual line syntax is:

inputApp="/Applications/Install OS X Mavericks.app"

trungpt

trungpt

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 34 posts

Not really, just as simple as before. Why the sad face?>

I thought that just because it's not easy to create the iso file anymore. However, I saw your post regarding how to create the iso file :D

MSoK

MSoK

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 934 posts

I thought that just because it's not easy to create the iso file anymore. However, I saw your post regarding how to create the iso file :D

trungpt,

If you have a look at the second post in this topic for details to create a bootable Mavericks DMG, an ISO is not required for Workstation 10 if you use the "Create Mavericks Installer.tool".

Aman

Aman

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

I think you guys can solve my prob, I have created a thread for it already but no one replying there. So i dont have any mac system to use. I have just a windows 8, mavericks.dmg, darwin.iso, transmac and unlocked vmware player. Now any guide to install mac on vmware?

MSoK

MSoK

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 934 posts

I think you guys can solve my prob, I have created a thread for it already but no one replying there. So i dont have any mac system to use. I have just a windows 8, mavericks.dmg, darwin.iso, transmac and unlocked vmware player. Now any guide to install mac on vmware?

Aman,

OK, the "How to.." guide in this topic works fine for Player 6, provided you have met and confirmed all the prerequisites?, my only concern is since you do not have OS X currently running, is the source of your Mavericks DMG! To be sure you could purchase OS X 10.6.3 (Snow Leopard) from the Apple Store, create an ISO, update to 10.6.8 and then download OS X Mavericks for free, not an easy path but the closed we can call legal! We will be here to guide you, if you choose the right and almost legal path!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: OS X, VMware, Workstation 9, Player 5, OS X 10.8, Mountain Lion, OS X 10.9, Mavericks, Unlocker

Topic Stats Last Post Info

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy