How to Install OS X 10.x (Snow Leopard, Lion, Mountain Lion and Mavericks) in VMware Workstation 9/10 or Player 5/6

OS X VMware Workstation 9 Player 5 OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion OS X 10.9 Mavericks Unlocker

• Please log in to reply
170 replies to this topic

MSoK

MSoK

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 943 posts

Just a quick update, Workstation 10.0.1, Player 6.0.1 and Fusion 6.0.1 have been released and OS X 10.8 and OS X 10.9 are working OK once the unlocker 1.2.x has been re-installed. I have updated the darwin.iso in the Download section to 6.0.1 from the latest version of Fusion.

ajflav

ajflav

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Just a quick update, Workstation 10.0.1, Player 6.0.1 and Fusion 6.0.1 have been released and OS X 10.8 and OS X 10.9 are working OK once the unlocker 1.2.x has been re-installed. I have updated the darwin.iso in the Download section to 6.0.1 from the latest version of Fusion.

So will 10.9 actually run under Workstation 9.0.2? This is what I have and I cannot but the iso I made from the InstalESD.dmg as per your article (please see my other post for more information), I really don't know what I'm doing wrong. Is it worth it to upgrade to (the latest?) Workstation 10.x, or can this work in 9.0.2? Thanks.

MSoK

MSoK

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 943 posts

So will 10.9 actually run under Workstation 9.0.2? This is what I have and I cannot but the iso I made from the InstalESD.dmg as per your article (please see my other post for more information), I really don't know what I'm doing wrong. Is it worth it to upgrade to (the latest?) Workstation 10.x, or can this work in 9.0.2? Thanks.

ajflav,

I guess the simple answer is YES you can run OS X 10.9 in Workstation 9.0.2, however you cannot create an ISO, so use the upgrade method detailed earlier in this thread, but Workstation 9 can only show the virtual machine as OS X 10.8 with hardware compatibility version 9.

If you extract the DMG file from the App Store download of OS X 10.9 as you would for OS X 10.8 and convert it to ISO it will not boot, and this is still the case in Workstation 10, we need to use a script (see Donk's post earlier in this thread for details) to create a DMG which can then be used in Workstation 10 or ESXi 5.5 to do a OS X 10.9 install from scratch. OS X 10.9 requires hardware compatibility version 10, which is only available in ESXi 5.5, Workstation 10, Player 6 and Fusion 6. So I would say definitely upgrade to Workstation 10.

justwii

justwii

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Hi I followed the bash method and now have a running 10.9 on player 6.01, thank you so much! :thumbsup_anim:

The only problem is the player keeps nagging me to install vmtools but I did install in by mounting the drawin.iso and successfully completed the installation and restarted the OS.

I know I can click "Never remind me again" but thats not the point, I can't set up (grayed out) vm shard folder because it still thinks I havent installed vmtools.

Another weird finding is inside the vmxf file, I got this line

<vmxPathName type="string">Mac OS X 10.9.vmx</vmxPathName></VM><tools-install-info><installError>5</installError><updateCounter>6</updateCounter></tools-install-info></Foundry>

It seems there was some error during or after the installation.

I repeated the installation twice and still the same, help is needed. Cheers!

MSoK

MSoK

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 943 posts

Hi I followed the bash method and now have a running 10.9 on player 6.01, thank you so much! :thumbsup_anim:

The only problem is the player keeps nagging me to install vmtools but I did install in by mounting the drawin.iso and successfully completed the installation and restarted the OS.

I know I can click "Never remind me again" but thats not the point, I can't set up (grayed out) vm shard folder because it still thinks I havent installed vmtools.

Another weird finding is inside the vmxf file, I got this line

<vmxPathName type="string">Mac OS X 10.9.vmx</vmxPathName></VM><tools-install-info><installError>5</installError><updateCounter>6</updateCounter></tools-install-info></Foundry>

It seems there was some error during or after the installation.

I repeated the installation twice and still the same, help is needed. Cheers!

justwii,

My vmxf file has exactly the same string and I have VMware Tools installed fine, although I am running Workstation 10.0.1, you might want to download the latest Fusion 6.0.1 darwin.iso from the InsanelyMac Download section, mount the iso manually and see if it will install. I generally do an uninstall and reboot just to clean up any issues with a previous VMware Tools install before installing the latest version currently 6.0.1.

http://www.insanelym...os-x-darwiniso/

Hemps

Hemps

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Is iMessage working for anyone under vmware workstation 10

Installed Mavericks 100%, tried this http://www.insanelym...-mac-in-vmware/

But still no iMessage

bengalih

bengalih

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts

Is this method the right way to install on ESXi (5.5) as well?  If not can someone point me to it?

I tried to do a clean install on a second drive from within my 10.8 install and it just sits on boot up at spinning beachball.

I would prefer to do a clean install - haven't yet tried to just update 10.8, but if that's my only option, I'll give it a whirl.

thanks.

MSoK

MSoK

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 943 posts

Is this method the right way to install on ESXi (5.5) as well?  If not can someone point me to it?

I tried to do a clean install on a second drive from within my 10.8 install and it just sits on boot up at spinning beachball.

I would prefer to do a clean install - haven't yet tried to just update 10.8, but if that's my only option, I'll give it a whirl.

thanks.

bengalih,

Pretty much, I will be posting an ESXi 5.5 How To, just needs some fine tuning, as the vSphere Client only supports up to hardware compatibility version 8 (virtualHW.version = "8"), which basically means OS X 10.7 (Lion), now OS X 10.8 will work with vHW v8, but for full support ideally requires vHW v9, and OS X 10.9 (Mavericks) again will work with vHW v8 but requires vHW v10 for full support, neither of which are supported by the vSphere Client! So we need to use a combination of the vSphere Client and either Workstation 10 or the vCenter 5.5 Web Client.

However some stability issues have been reported with unlocked ESXi hosts and vCenter Server, so unless your OS X VM will not run leave hardware compatibility at version 8 (virtualHW.version = "8").

In terms of a clean install of OS X 10.9 (Mavericks), you need to use the new script discovered by Donk in Fusion 6, which allows a bootable Mavericks DMG to be created, see the second post in this topic for details:

http://www.insanelym...r-56/?p=1937757

Edited by MSoK, 30 October 2013 - 01:34 PM.

bengalih

bengalih

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts

bengalih,

Pretty much, I will be posting an ESXi 5.5 How To, just needs some fine tuning, as the vSphere Client only supports up to hardware compatibility version 8, which basically means OS X 10.7 (Lion), now OS X 10.8 will work with HCV 8, but ideally requires HCV 9, and OS X 10.9 (Mavericks) requires HCV 10, neither of which are supported by the vSphere Client! So unfortunately we need to use a combination of the vSphere Client and either Workstation 10 or the vCenter 5.5 Web Client, not ideal but sometimes real life sucks!

In terms of a clean install of OS X 10.9 (Mavericks), you need to use the new script discovered by Donk in Fusion 6, which allows a bootable Mavericks DMG to be created, see the second post in this topic for details:

http://www.insanelym...r-56/?p=1937757

Yeah I went ahead and was able to use that script to create the bootable DMG.  I had a couple issues:

#1 - for some reason the DMG wasn't mounting when I browsed to it - I thought it was an issue with it not wanting to mount a DMG file, but after a bit I figured out that the vSphere client was, for some reason, not putting in a final backslash in my file path before the file name.  I had to manually fix it and then I was able to mount.

#2 - Takes a while to boot.  I was getting the beachball and a gray screen on my prior attempts...let is sit all night and no go.  Using the modified DMG it still sat for probably 5+ minutes, so I had abandoned hope at first, but it seemed to then start off the install.

#3 - I did the install using the 10.7 template and HCV 8 (default).  The install took about 6 hours...I have no idea why it took so long, but it just sat on each minute for like half an hour.

So - I'm not sure yet why you state that HCV 10 is needed for Mavericks...other than the long install time it seems to be running ok for me(?)  Now I won't talk about performance because I mostly use my OSX installs for some software testing so I don't really use them as production desktops.

I can go ahead an use the web client to upgrade to HCV 9 or 10...but why exactly is it necessary?  I have a 10.6 and a 10.8 that were running on 8 fine, but I upgraded them to 9 anyway.  The problem with 10 is that once you upgrade to 10 you can't use the vSphere client to manage those VMs *at all* - which is a bit of a problem seeing how there are reported issues using the unlocker with vSphere (I have experienced them).

So...for now (just finished) it looks like my install has worked, but I will be interested in your answers to the need for HCV 9/10 and any other advice you may have.

thanks!

MSoK

MSoK

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 943 posts

bengalih,

Glad you have Mavericks up and running, not sure why your install was so long, just built Mavericks from scratch in my nested ESXi 5.5 host, using hardware compatibility version 8 without any issues, slightly slow initial boot, 2-3 minutes, but then the install ran pretty well as estimated, 23 and 20 minutes for the two parts of the install. Maybe you can share your configuration for comparison.

I have updated the original post to confirm Mavericks will run OK using virtualHW.version = "8", problems have been reported when upgrading to Workstation 10 with existing OS X VMs not booting until upgraded to virtualHW.version = "10". I will monitor how my vHW v8 Mavericks runs in comparison to my vHW v10 installation.

In terms of upgrading to vHW v9 or v10, you can use Workstation 10 to "Connect to Server..." and "Edit virtual machine settings" with vHW set to either v9 or v10, as an alternative to the vCenter Web Client, or if you do not have vCenter Server or vCenter Server Appliance installed. 

Donk

Donk

InsanelyMac Deity

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,951 posts

In terms of upgrading to vHW v9 or v10, you can use Workstation 10 to "Connect to Server..." and "Edit virtual machine settings" with vHW set to either v9 or v10, as an alternative to the vCenter Web Client, or if you do not have vCenter Server or vCenter Server Appliance installed. 

A blog post on how to do this from command line of vCLI or the ESXi shell has just been posted http://www.virtually...upgrade-to.html

bengalih

bengalih

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts

@MSoK

Certainly... I am running ESXi 5.5 (upgraded from 5.1) on a Dell PowerEdge 2900 with the following specs:

• 2x Intel® Xeon® CPU E5410 @ 2.33GHz
  • 16 GB RAM
  • Perc 6i with:
    • vmfs datastore on RAID 5 with 3x 1TB SATA Enterprise disks
    • esxi (and secondary datastore) installed on RAID 5 with 3x 250GB SATA Enterprise disks

I have installed the unlocker 1.20 along with the patch listed in the thread which compresses the darwin boot file.

I created the Mavericks VM using the vSphere Client and kept pretty much the following settings:

• OSX 10.7 x64 for Guest OS
  • Virtual Hardware 8
  • 4GB RAM (downgraded to 2GB after install)
  • CPU - 1 socket core
  • E1000 Network interface
  • LSI Logic Parallel
  • 20 GB Disk, Thin Provisioned

I don't know if going with the LSI Parallel SCSI interface is what caused it to be so slow.  Again, my install took *forever* but once the install was completed, the OS itself seems to boot and run perfectly fine.  Also, perhaps the thin provisioned could have caused it?  But I haven't seen performance issues like that before.

AFAIK the only thing that HCV9 adds is more CPU/memory support.  HCV10 adds Sata support...and that may be why it took forever to install for me(?).  But, apparently you don't *need* SATA for it to work, as evidenced by my success.

@Donk - Thanks for that link, I was just looking how to do it from CLI. Word of WARNING though to anyone looking to upgrade their HCV.  If you upgrade it past 8 on ESXi 5.1 or past 9 on 5.5 you won't be able to manage the settings for that VM from anything but the web cleint.  Thanks to MSoK for pointing out that you can connect a Workstation GUI to ESXi Server (I didn't know that), but you can't use it to properly manage all the settings (options shown are those for Workstation, and not ESX).

Donk

Donk

InsanelyMac Deity

• Members
  • 1,951 posts

Thanks to MSoK for pointing out that you can connect a Workstation GUI to ESXi Server (I didn't know that), but you can't use it to properly manage all the settings (options shown are those for Workstation, and not ESX).

Just a heads-up, you can create and Apple OS X guest from Workstation 10 connected to ESXi, but it won't boot correctly as there are some important settings missing from the VMX file. It may be possible to fix this but for now create it via the vSphere Client.

bengalih

bengalih

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts

@MSoK -

So, I did a bit more testing to see why my install had gone so slow.  I tried a couple of things, but I am 90%+ positive my issue comes from the fact that my DMG is stored in, and mounted from, an NFS volume.

Specifically, I have my main File Server with all my ISOs on it running as a virtual machine on the same ESX host that I am building this OSX on.

It exposes an NFS volume which I mount back to the same ESX Host that this VM is running off of.

This way, I am able to do all my system builds by mounting my ISOs directly off a mounted NFS share on the ESX host.

For some reason, the OSX install doesn't like this.  I have installed *countless* Windows and Linux/Unix systems in this same way.  All those installs are quick - what I would expect based on the hardware/network (e.g. anywhere from 10 mins for RHEL install to 20-30 mins for Windows 2008).

I went ahead an copied my DMG from this NFS mount directly to one of my VMFS datastores so it was "local" to the ESX host (although technically it was local before, but abstracted by a couple of application layers).

I then did another install and this time it completed within a more acceptable time frame (< 45 mins).

Additional Data points:

I have had this setup running on my ESX 3.x to ESXi 5.1 servers with the NFS share being hosted off a Windows 2003 NFS server and, as I said - I never had an issue with this.

I recently rebuilt my whole environment to ESXi 5.5 and the file server in question is now a Windows 2012 R2 NFS server.  I built about a dozen machines this way and had only two issues:

- Slowness with this OSX build as mentioned

- When trying to build a CentOS 5.8 box the install would begin to go very slowly and the memory utilization on my Windows NFS server would max out.  I found some other posts on MS about people having memory leaks like this on File Servers...and honestly, I'm kicking myself because I can't remember how I fixed it (I think it was possibly the NIC or SCSI controller chosen for my guest).

Anyway, the point is no other OS build seems to have any issues installing with the ISO up on my NFS share....but OSX does.  I'm curious how many other people are installing to ESXi directly and where/how they store their ISO.

@ Donk

Yeah, I tried to do my build from my Workstation client connected to the ESXi host and got an error immediately after bootup...I figure it isn't a good idea to use the Workstation client as the primary client to ESXi.

MSoK

MSoK

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 943 posts

Just a heads-up, you can create and Apple OS X guest from Workstation 10 connected to ESXi, but it won't boot correctly as there are some important settings missing from the VMX file. It may be possible to fix this but for now create it via the vSphere Client.

Just to confirm as Donk has posted, creating an OS X VM from Workstation 10 connected to an ESXi host, will not boot. However create the OS X VM from the vSphere Client, and then modify the OS X VM in Workstation 10, i.e. upgrade the vHW to v10 and change the OS Version to "Mac OS X 10.9" save and boot under vSphere Client works fine.

bengalih

bengalih

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts

Just to confirm, creating an OS X VM from Workstation 10 connected to an ESXi host, will not boot. However create the OS X VM from the vSphere Client, and then modify the OS X VM in Workstation 10, i.e. upgrade the vHW to v10 and change the OS Version to "Mac OS X 10.9" save and boot under vSphere Client works fine.

I can also confirm this works.  However, I'm still waiting for your reasoning behind having to be on HCV 9 or 10.  9 adds more CPU/RAM, 10 adds SATA.

If SATA were a *requirement* I could see having to go to 10, but since a SCSI install works, why is it necessary to be above HCV 8?

UPDATE:

Points of interest.  The following is a diff of my VMX file after upgrading from HCV9 to HCV10 and switching from 10.7 to 10.9 in the settings:

/vmfs/volumes/524f80a6-f18c10c7-2c16-001e4f204bc4 # cat Mac\ OS\ X\ 10.9/Mac\ OS\ X\ 10.9.vmx | sort > /tmp/HCV9.txt
/vmfs/volumes/524f80a6-f18c10c7-2c16-001e4f204bc4 # cat Mac\ OS\ X\ 10.9/Mac\ OS\ X\ 10.9.vmx | sort > /tmp/HCV10.txt
/vmfs/volumes/524f80a6-f18c10c7-2c16-001e4f204bc4 # diff /tmp/HCV9.txt /tmp/HCV10.txt
--- /tmp/HCV9.txt
+++ /tmp/HCV10.txt
@@ -17,7 +17,7 @@
 floppy0.clientDevice = "TRUE"
 floppy0.fileName = "vmware-null-remote-floppy"
 floppy0.startConnected = "FALSE"
-guestOS = "darwin11-64"
+guestOS = "darwin13-64"
 hpet0.present = "TRUE"
 ich7m.present = "TRUE"
 ide1:0.allowGuestConnectionControl = "TRUE"
@@ -68,7 +68,7 @@
 toolScripts.beforeSuspend = "TRUE"
 tools.syncTime = "FALSE"
 toolsInstallManager.lastInstallError = "0"
-toolsInstallManager.updateCounter = "8"
+toolsInstallManager.updateCounter = "9"
 usb.pciSlotNumber = "32"
 usb.present = "TRUE"
 usb:0.deviceType = "hid"
@@ -84,7 +84,7 @@
 uuid.location = "56 4d 08 c7 8c 4b 72 9a-70 91 50 36 e5 97 be a5"
 vc.uuid = "52 00 e8 7a bf d5 ca e1-c2 ac 6c 6a 16 2b a5 dc"
 virtualHW.productCompatibility = "hosted"
-virtualHW.version = "9"
+virtualHW.version = "10"
 vmci0.id = "-443040091"
 vmci0.pciSlotNumber = "35"
 vmci0.present = "TRUE"

I don't see much of a difference...you?

MSoK

MSoK

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 943 posts

I can also confirm this works.  However, I'm still waiting for your reasoning behind having to be on HCV 9 or 10.  9 adds more CPU/RAM, 10 adds SATA.

If SATA were a *requirement* I could see having to go to 10, but since a SCSI install works, why is it necessary to be above HCV 8?

I think the jury is out on this one, VMware recommend going to the latest vHW version, but if vHW8 is working fine for your OS X Mavericks VM stick with it. To-date the only time I have needed vHW10 and the vCenter 5.5 Web Client, is creating a virtual Windows Server with a 9TB data volume to act as a target for a Veeam 7 backup!

Anyway, the point is no other OS build seems to have any issues installing with the ISO up on my NFS share....but OSX does.  I'm curious how many other people are installing to ESXi directly and where/how they store their ISO.

I generally create an ISO folder on either a local datastore or a SAN attached via Fibre Channel, iSCSI or SAS to store any ISO or DMG images required for installations.

bengalih

bengalih

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts

I think the jury is out on this one, VMware recommend going to the latest vHW version, but if vHW8 is working fine for your OS X Mavericks VM stick with it. To-date the only time I have needed vHW10 and the vCenter 5.5 Web Client, is creating a virtual Windows Server with a 9TB data volume to act as a target for a Veeam 7 backup!

I generally create an ISO folder on either a local datastore or a SAN attached via Fibre Channel, iSCSI or SAS to store any ISO or DMG images required for installations.

Ouch...9TB...wouldn't want to have to deal with that volume.  Why not split it up and have each set of backup job go to a different Repository in Veeam?  Of course, if you are backing up something that is 9TB for one server....

Yeah, personally I haven't had anything needing over HCV8.  I didn't even realize I could go above that since I always use the vSphere GUI client.  When I upgraded to 5.5 I realized I could go to 10, so I went ahead and just brought everything to 9 so I had flexibility in management.

And yes...I know it would be better for me to mount my ISOs from another system over iSCSI or something, but this is just a SOHO lab setup and I don't have the resources to do that.  I host my "home" DC off the ESX box which is my main file server (apart from my HTPC).  So it shares out about .5 TB of data.  I also have about a dozen lab systems setup.  I have an old single core Athlon 64 3200 with 3GB of RAM that I run vCenter on (yes, I got it to run all components, including Update Manager on those specs!).  I also have Veeam installed on that same box - including the SQL server to host both of them!  It is slow to start, but it all works.  I have about 2-3TB of disk on there which is enough to backup my ESX box.

I might try to move my DMG to the Veeam NFS server so at least it is hosted on a different box and see if a build over GB Ethernet from a separate machine would also be problematic.  However, as OSX is the only one that has ever had an issue, and now I've got my template built...not sure it is worth the hassle.  Hopefully this info helps someone else out though...

MSoK

MSoK

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 943 posts

Ouch...9TB...wouldn't want to have to deal with that volume.  Why not split it up and have each set of backup job go to a different Repository in Veeam?  Of course, if you are backing up something that is 9TB for one server....

bengalih,

Thanks for all your hard work in diagnosing and reporting in detail you problems, and solution(s), as you say hopefully it will help others if they experience similar issues.

In terms of the large Veeam target, a little off topic, we needed to backup multiple virtual Windows servers in a single job to maximise deduplication and compression.

UPDATE:

Points of interest.  The following is a diff of my VMX file after upgrading from HCV9 to HCV10 and switching from 10.7 to 10.9 in the settings:

-guestOS = "darwin11-64"
+guestOS = "darwin13-64"

-toolsInstallManager.updateCounter = "8"
+toolsInstallManager.updateCounter = "9"

-virtualHW.version = "9"
+virtualHW.version = "10"

I don't see much of a difference...you?

Since the vmx is a configuration file to instruct the ESXi host how to run the VM, by setting virtualHW.version = "10" you are allowing your OS X VM to take advantage of all the additional features supported by ESXi 5.5, rather than restricting functionality to ESXi 5.0.

Now that may not appear to make any visible difference, or even appear relevant to your VMs, but why would you not want to take advantage of the latest and greatest, unless as is the case with OS X it makes the management of the VM(s) more difficult.

Donk

Donk

InsanelyMac Deity

• Members
  • 1,951 posts

bengalih,

Thanks for all your hard work in diagnosing and reporting in detail you problems, and solution(s), as you say hopefully it will help others if they experience similar issues.

In terms of the large Veeam target, a little off topic, we needed to backup multiple virtual Windows servers in a single job to maximise deduplication and compression.

Since the vmx is a configuration file to instruct the ESXi host how to run the VM, by setting virtualHW.version = "10" you are allowing your OS X VM to take advantage of all the additional features supported by ESXi 5.5, rather than restricting functionality to ESXi 5.0.

Now that may not appear to make any visible difference, or even appear relevant to your VMs, but why would you not want to take advantage of the latest and greatest, unless as is the case with OS X it makes the management of the VM(s) more difficult.

Setting the virtual hardware may have changes on the code paths in the hypervisor. Just because there are not many differences in the VMX do not let that fool you into thinking there are no other consequences.

A guest OS and its version are supported by virtual hardware and firmware, the emulation inside the hypervisor for the virtual chassis (e.g. virtual SATA, SCSI...), plus the actual VMX code. For example using 10.6 on ESXi 5.5 invokes hidden CPUID masks for compatibility.

Note that I am not saying you need to change the level of hardware supported, just be aware that it may not be the most efficient way to run the guest.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: OS X, VMware, Workstation 9, Player 5, OS X 10.8, Mountain Lion, OS X 10.9, Mavericks, Unlocker

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy