How to Install OS X 10.x (Snow Leopard to El Capitan) in VMware Workstation 10/11, Workstation Pro/Player 12, Player 6/7, ESXi 5/6

410 posts in this topic

Hi MSoK, I was able to install Mac OS X 10.9 (Mavericks) on a fresh new virtual machine on Windows XP with VMWare Player 6.0 patched with the Unlocker 1.2.0. I used a Mavericks ISO. Very Easy and Vanilla ... Everything is fine after i have installed VmWare Tools Darwin ISO Thanks PippoX0

pippox0,

Thanks for the update, glad all is now running well, you might try updating the graphics drivers to Zenith432's enhanced version, links in the first post in this thread.

Before I try and upgrade my curent image (10.8.5) to mavericks I tried to upgrade the image to hw10 (its hw 8).. I am running workstation 10, when I upgrade the image from hw8 to hw10 I'm stuck on the login screen as the mouse and keyboard do not function.. Any ideas?

Additional info I'm using windows 7

jradomski,

I have had mixed results when upgrading from Hardware Compatibility 8 to 10, sometimes it has worked and other times I get what you have described, If  you are able to do a fresh Mavericks install starting with HW10 all should work fine. Also Mavericks will run fine under HW8, but you can only select Mac OS X 10.7 64-bit as the OS, but this does not cause a problem.

In fact if you were running ESXi 5.5 using HW8 allows the vSphere client to manage changing settings on your OS X VM, whereas setting HW10 requires either Workstation 10 or the Web Client (part of vCenter Server or vCSA) to manage changing settings.

Hi,

if you want enable FindMyMac and other iCloud Stuff related with RecoveryHD , see my Topic "[How To] Enable "Find My Mac" with a FAKE Recovery HD *UPDATED*"

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/271206-how-to-enable-find-my-mac-with-a-fake-recovery-hd-updated/page-3?hl=%2Bfake+%2Brecovery+%2Bhd&do=findComment&comment=1937909

It works very well also in VMWare VM and you don't need to set NVRAM service with a script because VMware enable it by default.

Cheers

See Ya

pippox0,

Thanks for the heads up.

• 2 weeks later...

A quick heads up, OS X 10.9.1 update has now been released by Apple and works fine in both Workstation 10 and ESXi 5.5, also the pre-release 10.9.2 works fine in both Workstation 10 and ESXi 5.5.

The procecdure worked great for me, so thanks a lot for the writeup and information.

The only inconvenience i have is in the screen size. I only get the following values: 1600*1200, 1920*1440, 2360*1770 and I need smaller values to be able to make the screen fit in VM window. I have installed the latest darwin, and "VMsvga2_v1.2.5_OS_10.9.pkg" followed by "guestd_patches.pkg".

Thanks.

Just getting started with trying to install 10.9.1 in Fusion 6.0.1 running on a 10.9.1 hack.

I have the Install osx mavericks in my applications folder and I have downloaded the create mavericks installer .tool.txt and removed the .txt but when I try running the tool I get

mikes-mac-pro:~ mike$ sudo/Users/mike/Desktop/Create\ Mavericks\ Installer.tool 
-bash: sudo/Users/mike/Desktop/Create Mavericks Installer.tool: No such file or directory

Any ideas why?

Mike

• 4 weeks later...

Just a quick update, VMware have released a patch for ESXi 5.5.0 which takes the build to 1474528, the update is working fine with Unlocker version 1.2.0 or the ESXi only version 1.3.0 and OS X Mavericks (10.9.1) including the latest Developer Preview 10.9.2 (13C44). The latest Developer Preview 10.9.2 (13C44) also works fine with Workstation 10.0.1 and Player 6.0.1 using Unlocker version 1.2.0.

Hi Msok,

I am unable to install VMware tools, attachments is included. Would you like to help me, thanks.

blueriver649,

How are you trying to install VMware tools, in Workstation you cannot use "Install VMware Tools..." from the menu, you need to mount the darwin.iso via Virtual Machine Settings; CD/DVD; Connection; Use ISO image file:

Hi MSok,

I believed I tried to mount darwin.iso via Virtual machine settings.........................like you said but it gave me the error messages above,Thanks.

Have you already got an image attached to the VM. If so eject it in OS X guest and try again.

Hi Gents,

I were able to mount Darwin.iso but I didn't see the Vmware tools icon on my desktop, thanks. 

Check in Finder Preferences > General you have the "External disks" and "CDs, DVDs, and iPods" ticked.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, I was able to install Mavericks and install the guestd patch and VMware tools.  My problem is that I can't seem to get audio output over HDMI.  VMware can select my Sony TV as my sound card in settings but it does not show up as an audio device in OS X.  

How can I get sound to work over HDMI?

For the record, sound works in my normal desktop environment, which is Windows 7.

Btw, in answer to someone's question earlier, Adobe Flash Player can be installed and Youtube videos can be played, but you must right click and turn off the hardware acceleration option for them to work.  

• Like 1

I can't able to convert from DMG to ISO using dmg2iso.exe

Error:

dmg2iso v0.2c by vu1tur (vu1tur@gmx.de)

reading property list...ERROR: Property list is corrupted.

But MD5 of DMG files is correct.

cybersa,

Which version of OS X are you trying to convert and where did you get the DMG from?

Hi,

Thank you to MSoK and other contributors to this and related posts - I've learnt a lot in a short period of time, I think.

I was hoping someone could give me a sanity check before I spend lots of time and a little money going down a dead end?  I'm an almost total newbie to Apple and Mac.

Since I don't have a mac, a quick summary of  my understanding of the process is:

1. Buy OS 10.6 from the Apple Store (they seem to sell 10.7 and 10.8 as well, but I think they require 10.6 first);
  2. Install it on a VM (Player 6.01 in my case) - recognising that this isn't trivial in itself, but there are instuctions here-abouts;
  3. Use it to download 10.9.1 from the itunes app store;
  4. Following the instructions in this post, install it in a new VM (rather than on top of the 10.6). ETA: actually, the second post suggests over the top is the way to go.

Is that about right?

I'd like to play with the iOS sdk / simulator and Appcelerator Titanium / Platino.  I get the impression few people here have done this, but are there any obvious show-stoppers I should be aware off. Perhaps graphics limitations? Titanium claims to require OS 10.8, so 10.6 alone probably won't work.

My hardware is pretty old: Intel Core 2 Duo E8500 (VT-enabled, I believe) with 4GB ram and Nvidia GForce GTS 250.  I'm not expecting stella preformance, but it's it likely to be so slow as to be complete unusable?  I've got about 100Gb free at the moment - am I going to need more?

ETA: I found the hardware list in the wiki - I think I'm OK.  Not sure about the disk space yet.

If that sounds right and no-one knows it's unviable, I'll spend my £14 on OSX and give it a try.

Thanks a lot,

Paul

Edited by paulgl

Hi,

Thank you to MSoK and other contributors to this and related posts - I've learnt a lot in a short period of time, I think.

I was hoping someone could give me a sanity check before I spend lots of time and a little money going down a dead end?  I'm an almost total newbie to Apple and Mac.

Since I don't have a mac, a quick summary of  my understanding of the process is:

1. Buy OS 10.6 from the Apple Store (they seem to sell 10.7 and 10.8 as well, but I think they require 10.6 first);
  2. Install it on a VM (Player 6.01 in my case) - recognising that this isn't trivial in itself, but there are instuctions here-abouts;
  3. Use it to download 10.9.1 from the itunes app store;
  4. Following the instructions in this post, install it in a new VM (rather than on top of the 10.6). ETA: actually, the second post suggests over the top is the way to go.

Is that about right?

I'd like to play with the iOS sdk / simulator and Appcelerator Titanium / Platino.  I get the impression few people here have done this, but are there any obvious show-stoppers I should be aware off. Perhaps graphics limitations? Titanium claims to require OS 10.8, so 10.6 alone probably won't work.

My hardware is pretty old: Intel Core 2 Duo E8500 (VT-enabled, I believe) with 4GB ram and Nvidia GForce GTS 250.  I'm not expecting stella preformance, but it's it likely to be so slow as to be complete unusable?  I've got about 100Gb free at the moment - am I going to need more?

ETA: I found the hardware list in the wiki - I think I'm OK.  Not sure about the disk space yet.

If that sounds right and no-one knows it's unviable, I'll spend my £14 on OSX and give it a try.

Thanks a lot,

Paul

Paul,

Since you do not have access to an Apple Mac, you will have to purchase Snow Leopard from the Apple Store, it is the only one that provides physical media, Lion and Mountain Lion are both an email with a content code for the Mac App Store. You will have to convert the Snow Leopard DVD to an ISO using something like ImgBurn.

Your processor supports VT-x, you just need to make sure it is enabled in BIOS, memory and space should be fine, once you have installed VMware Player 6.x run Donk's Unlocker v1.2.0 to enable OS X support. Since the Snow Leopard DVD is 10.6.3 you will need to patch to 10.6.8 to support Mavericks. Mavericks is free on the Mac App Store, so download the Installer, you can then just upgrade Snow Leopard, or you can extract the DMG, instructions are available on this site, and create a new Mavericks VM using the DMG as the media source.

Install VMware Tools and the SVGA drivers from Zenith432 to maximize performance, please be aware applications the use QE/CI graphics acceleration will not work in a virtual machine.

Good luck, we are here to help if you have issues.

• Like 1

Thanks a lot MSoK,

I shall buy my CD and see how I get on.

Kind regards,

Paul

Paul,

I have updated the original post in this topic to cover Snow Leopard, as purchasing the OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard) DVD is the only method to install Vanilla OS X if you do not have access to an OS X machine physical or virtual.

Also since I have not installed Snow Leopard for quite some time, I have done a fresh Snow Leopard install from an ISO created from the retail DVD (I do have the DVD somewhere, just not to hand), in an unlocked (v1.2.0) Workstation 10.0.1, and as my processor is an Intel Core i7 I needed to add the CPUID mask to the VMX configuration file before starting the OS X virtual machine. Once installed patch to the latest version 10.6.8, install VMware Tools and all runs OK. You can then download OS X 10.9 Mavericks from the Mac App Store.

• Like 1