How to Install OS X 10.x (Snow Leopard to El Capitan) in VMware Workstation 10/11, Workstation Pro/Player 12, Player 6/7, ESXi 5/6

410 posts in this topic

I think I've hit a brick wall. I have the OS_X_El_Capitan.app.dmg, I have VM Player 7.1.4 patched with unlocker 2.0.8.

I can create a OSX vm with 10.10 ver in the player. I can start the VM after adding the line to the vmx and changing it to use Ver 10 hardware instead of 11.

I've tried tons of "How To's" trying to make this work. I've managed to extract the InstallESD.dmg from the OS_X_El_Capitan.app.dmg using TransMac and the farthest I can get is VM Player shows me a boot manager when booting with either dmg chosen.

I don't have access to a Mac Machine anymore so I don't see how I can use the boot scripts that are mentioned in the 2nd post of this thread.

How can I make the OS_X_El_Capitan.app.dmg or install.dmg bootable if I don't have a mac?

• 3 weeks later...

Everyone beware before installing latest Sierra beta (DP6): dragging applications windows, selecting text, drag-n-drop etc. inside an upgraded VM guest seems to work unreliably.

Update: fixed in DP7 (and apparently PB6, too).

Hello All,

Have been absent for a while, but now its time to upgrade my ESXi Lion install.

Recently I got a new ESXi Box and joined it to my cluster with 5.5. Installed the unlocker, trying to boot 10.10 or 10.11 (after making the ISO) and always seems to hang with beach ball and no welcome screen (installers). I tried changing from EFi to Bios, running vm ver 8 or 10 always the same. I tried using both the client and web interface for the console and its always just hanging before installer starts.

Any advice ? Been trying this for few days now with both 10.10 and 10.11 with same exact results.

Any help is always appreciated !

Never mind. Had an issue with persistent storage, running both 10.10 and 10.11 good. VMware tools helps. 

• 2 weeks later...

I was banging my head trying to find why El Capitan retail iso (made from a download from AppStore using scripts described in these forums) does not work and crashes with kernel panics like this:

Ck7es6o.png

Nor smc nor hardware version tricks did not help. After lots of trial and error, it turned out that I need to set OS X version to lower (10.8 in my case) and then El Capitan could be installed and run just fine.

Here is that bad boy setting:

AVy0w8d.png

It's counter intuitive - to get 10.11 running, you have to set version to 10.8. Weird. Maybe my CPU is the source of the problem? I have Intel Pentium "Anniversary Edition" G3258. After that 10.8 trick everything works rock solid. 10.7 also works just fine. Anything above 10.8 crashes with panics.

Making it all the way to the installation on El Capitan and it errors out after about a minute or so saying it couldn't attach the disk image.  Using workstation 11. 

Recreated the ISO, this time with root privileges, and we're past that point....but it is VERY slow to install.  Stuck at about 5% in right now...16 minutes remaining, it says.

Just installed the macOS Sierra GM build using your post. No issues whatsoever. Using Workstation 12. Just had to modify the DMG creation script to use Install macOS Sierra.app.

Besweet,

Good news, please post the updated script and I will add it to the relevant section.

Regards,

MSoK.

Hi, MSoK.

I created make iso script for between MacOSX 10.6 and macOS 10.12. (might 10.5)

XXX.tool.txt is not necessary any more!

This script find your AppStore OSX Installer automatically.

Even if you have InstallESD.dmg only, you can specify the path.

Download the attached "create_osx_iso.txt" script file to your desktop.

In a terminal session, run the following command:

cd ~/Desktop

mv create_osx_iso.txt create_osx_iso

chmod +x create_osx_iso

./create_osx_iso

create_osx_iso.txt

• Like 11

Hi, MSoK.

This script find your AppStore OSX Installer automatically.

Even if you have InstallESD.dmg only, you can specify the path.

Download the attached "create_osx_iso.txt" script file to your desktop.

In a terminal session, run the following command:

cd ~/Desktop

mv create_osx_iso.txt create_osx_iso

chmod +x create_osx_iso

./create_osx_iso

shela,

Excellent work, with your permission I will add the script file to the second post on this thread, and update the instructions.

Regards,

MSoK.

• Like 1

Ty shela. However, using your tool, it kept saying that it couldn't mount the Install dmg for some reason. Not sure why it was failing, so I just modified the old CECI tool to extract the bootable Sierra dmg.

Ty shela. However, using your tool, it kept saying that it couldn't mount the Install dmg for some reason. Not sure why it was failing, so I just modified the old CECI tool to extract the bootable Sierra dmg.

JJTagy,

Probably, you mounted another install image (InstallESD.dmg) in the past and has been left mounted.

Please unmount all of them and retry.

Check the result of following command whether mounted or not.

ls /Volumes

If you find 'OS X Base System' path, unmount like this.

hdiutil unmount -force /Volumes/OS\ X\ Base\ System

and also, if you find 'OS X Install ESD' path, unmount like this.

hdiutil unmount -force /Volumes/OS\ X\ Install\ ESD
  • Like 1

JJTagy,

I initially ran in to the same problem after downloading Sierra from the App Store, a reboot of the VM resolved the problem.

I have now done fresh builds and installed El Capitan and Sierra from the iso created with shela's new script.

• Like 2

JJTagy,

I initially ran in to the same problem after downloading Sierra from the App Store, a reboot of the VM resolved the problem.

I have now done fresh builds and installed El Capitan and Sierra from the iso created with shela's new script.

MSoK, JJTagy,

CECI.tool and CSI.tool does not detach OS X Install ESD.

'hdiutil attach' command cannot attach the same image twice, so my script reports error.

This is a defect of CECI.tool and CSI.tool.

• Like 1

i am using it on 10.9.5 vmware ... so far its working , just finished actually

got a 6.58gb iso for sierra now :)

i am doing this because my current partition table is too messed up for sierra clean install

so i am doing it virtual and trying to clone it (Fingers crossed :) !!!)

• Like 1

Have just upgraded from El Capitan to Sierra using normal upgrade download/install. Using VMWare Workstation Pro and Unlocker 2.07.

No issues so far. :)

Chris,

Any reason you did not use Unlocker 208 it adds an update to the latest darwin iso as part of the install with a standalone script to update after install?