Hang/Crash when adjusting volume

SRSR333

14 posts in this topic

Hi guys. As stated in the title, my laptop (OS X 10.8.4) crashes when I attempt to change the volume. This suddenly started ocurring, with no real reason. When I press the volume up button on my laptop, the transparent speaker popup appears, then lags. If I try to use the top toolbar, then the whole toolbar hangs with the beachball of death. I have an ALC 269 audio chipset...

Patched AppleHDA... I think I'll have to do a clean install... See about that later. And no, I haven't fixed the problem. Booting into Windows resets all my devices, so even if I do have a DSDT with patches, if I reboot to OS X after a shutdown from Windows, the GT 525M still shows up, and wastes battery. It really is rather annoying... But I'm honestly not sure how to fix it. I'd also like my BIOS modded to show additional options(such as enabling/disabling GPUs), so I've sent in a request at BIOS mods.. but no one has replied to it yet.

PM me the DSDT an SSDT files, use Aida64 to extract them in Windows. Disabling the card is not that hard. Writing a guide this weekend. Planning was this evening, ah well.

The issue, rebooting between Windows and OS X, is the same here, i have no other solution besides a hard reset :/

PM me the DSDT an SSDT files, use Aida64 to extract them in Windows. Disabling the card is not that hard. Writing a guide this weekend. Planning was this evening, ah well.

The issue, rebooting between Windows and OS X, is the same here, i have no other solution besides a hard reset :/

Right, I'm on my phone now, can't use the laptop yet, as its quite early here. Ill see if I've stored it on Google drive(I think I have, I'll have to check). Thanks very much for the help... And apparently my audio problem has got to do with my PS2 kext..

If it were a PS/2 problem then you would be able to still adjust the volume from the toolbar. Probably, coreaudio is crashing (I had similar issues when I was using DYLD_INSERT_LIBRARIES on it and forgot to whitelist the dylib in the sandbox configuration). Run Console before trying to adjust the volume and if coreaudio is crashing, you might be able to see why.

If it were a PS/2 problem then you would be able to still adjust the volume from the toolbar. Probably, coreaudio is crashing (I had similar issues when I was using DYLD_INSERT_LIBRARIES on it and forgot to whitelist the dylib in the sandbox configuration). Run Console before trying to adjust the volume and if coreaudio is crashing, you might be able to see why.

Right... that gave me a hint. Indeed, something is wrong with coreaudio, whatever that is:

Aug  3 20:59:31 unknown_bc-ae-c5-7f-de-55.gateway.2wire.net coreaudiod[129]: Enabled automatic stack shots because audio IO is inactive

I get a feeling this is related to IOAudioFamily.kext, which I patched a while ago.

Also, I can't shutdown/restart/log out/sleep from the Apple Menu either, nor with Fn shortcut keys, nor with the power button. Everything power- and audio-related just stop working if I try to adjust the volume from the toolbar. Not so if I use the buttons on my laptop.

Thanks for the help. I think I'm closer to solving the problem now...

Oh, if that was the only message you got, then it's probably not coreaudio... (That message was introduced with 10.8.4 and is, funnily enough, the message I was filtering out with DYLD_INSERT_LIBRARIES)

It's probably not your patched IOAudioFamily.kext (I don't recall having issues with it when I used to use AppleHDA and the node enabling stuff only kicks in when resuming from sleep so if you're getting crashing issues before you've put the laptop to sleep...), but it's worth a try restoring the original, I guess.

Oh, if that was the only message you got, then it's probably not coreaudio... (That message was introduced with 10.8.4 and is, funnily enough, the message I was filtering out with DYLD_INSERT_LIBRARIES)

It's probably not your patched IOAudioFamily.kext (I don't recall having issues with it when I used to use AppleHDA and the node enabling stuff only kicks in when resuming from sleep so if you're getting crashing issues before you've put the laptop to sleep...), but it's worth a try restoring the original, I guess.

No, its not the only one. It was the most recent one, but everything has to do with 'Audio IO Active/Inactive'...

And I can't restore. I accidentally deleted the backup of the original...

I was getting similar issues to you when coreaudiod wouldn't start on my laptop (applications took a long time to start, the volume keys on my laptop took a while to respond...) that would temporarily (until I fixed the real problem) go away when I SSHed in and started coreaudiod manually. But I don't think that coreaudiod is your problem if Console doesn't indicate that it is actually crashing.

You can extract the IOAudioFamily.kext using Pacifist from a 10.8.4 Combo Update (which is a large download, coming in at around 800 MB), or some kind person here might upload theirs...

Right. Restored stock IOAudioFamily.kext; no go. I'm going to reinstall the 10.8.4 Combo Update to see if it helps. If not, I'll have to clean install OS X. Any idea how to back up apps and user folders?

EDIT: Fixed it; Reinstalled 10.8.4 Combo update and AppleHDA.kext, problem solved! Thanks for trying, guys. Really appreciate it...